And where can I get one locally in NZ?

Thanks.

bugjuice
25th November 2006, 09:55
what's colortune? :scratch:

degrom
25th November 2006, 10:01
what's colortune? :scratch:

LOL... It's a tool that you screw in like a spark plug and then it helps you see if your mixture is rich or lean. You can actually see the flame color inside the cylinder and use the color against a chart to see what it means.

F5 Dave
28th November 2006, 15:07
Waste of time, seemed like a good idea at the time category.

trumpy
28th November 2006, 16:10
They still make these? First came out nearly 30 years ago. Bought a set then to set up a race car. Can't remember it being particularly any more effective than taking the plugs out after a run and checking the colour (which is not a hugely reliable indicator at the best of times). Haven't seen one since, probably for good reason.

Hitcher
28th November 2006, 17:19
what's colortune?

Bugger that. I'm more worried about what fuel's are. Probably something used to cook egg's and sausage's... (Satirically delivered by the BDOTGNZA)

degrom
28th November 2006, 18:45
Fuel = Petrol , Diesel , Alcohol... Hopefully water in the future!!!

Ixion
28th November 2006, 19:00
Sigh. It's such an inoffensive little thing, too.

Motu
28th November 2006, 22:00
It's not often you get to see the insides of your motor working.....as thrilling as reality TV.I've got a couple,they only work on old dirty motors....and it's pretty easy to tell when are tuned spot on.You can only use them at idle - apart from the heat range being up the wop and possibly detroying your motor....powerpoles have a habit of jumping into your path if you are staring down at your colourtune.....

xwhatsit
28th November 2006, 23:05
Reh? Colour me confused... I have no idea how this works. Now... call me a n00b -- but if you are screwing in some... thing... (what is it? A transparent chunk of glass?) in place of your spark plug how can you see the flame colour inside the cylinder? What will ignite the mixture if you don't have a sparking plug on that cyilnder?

Ixion
28th November 2006, 23:26
It is a spark plug. But instead of the usual opaque white insulator, it has a transparent insulator. So you can see through it into the combustion chamber.Sort of.

Brian d marge
29th November 2006, 01:34
Waste of time, seemed like a good idea at the time category.Disagree, I have one of the original sets, ( as in my grandfather worked with the fella ..and I have my grandfathers set ,,,)I can do quite a lot of detective work round the engine ,,THOUGH I will admit they ( IMHO ) tend to read to lean for my comfort , used together with a plug chop they save quite a bit of time.

Stephen

Lou Girardin
29th November 2006, 05:34
They were a great idea in the pre - AFM era. As Motu says, they were only useful for idle and no - load readings.

degrom
29th November 2006, 06:47
They were a great idea in the pre - AFM era. As Motu says, they were only useful for idle and no - load readings.

Then a ColorTune is my solution!!!

ColorTune + (24year old motor * bad idle)
= Sweet running motor + fire work show!!!

What is AFM ? (Addictions Foundation of Manitoba)

F5 Dave
29th November 2006, 08:48
I think it is a company that used to make mobile compressors over in the good awld US of A. People now dress them up in trinkets & themselves in fake beards & scare small children.

Replace your sparkplug caps & clean the pilot jets/ balance the carbs & stop stuffin' around with gimmicks.

imdying
29th November 2006, 17:08
Replace your sparkplug caps & clean the pilot jets/ balance the carbs & stop stuffin' around with gimmicks.QFT! (or +1 if you like that better)

kevie
23rd December 2009, 10:44
Bought a colortune way back in the early 70s when I had the old Plymouth, A couple times I had my Plymoth over the dynatunes and they couldnt pinpoint the hot engine misfire and cutout. Put in a colortune and it showed me the condenser in the points was faulty, $2-85 condenser and no problem after that, I STILL have my colortune all these years later. The earlier books with the colortune showed not only fuel/carburetion diagnostics but electrical system possibilities too, lost my booklet over the years but have downloaded the new one which his very limited info for diagnostics :( and no electrical system info.
designed to run in a warm engine and gives the ease of tuning the carb(s) and as the manual stated NOT designed for an engine under load as this overheats the colortune and can damage it; But the stationary tests were always adequate to tune the carbs anyway and the 4 vehicles I used it to tune went well afterwards.

robinm
29th December 2009, 17:21
ex UK, takes about 5 days to get here.
They are available here:http://www.carbtune.com/
Found under " other products"