PDA

View Full Version : CBR600F2 CDI Unit Needed

GR81
27th November 2006, 07:12
I have a sneaky suspicion my CDI unit has died on my '92 CBR600F2.

A. does anyone have a spare one i can borrow to confirm?
B. does anyone have one for sale?
C. does anyone know a good place to purchase one of these?

any help would be much appreciated.

ben444
27th November 2006, 08:35
I've got one for sale... I think it's of an F3, but should still work. I'll have a look dis arvo...

bistard
27th November 2006, 08:48
Just be carfull,before you hook up another CDI,in case you have somesort of wiring fault & fry the new one
Ring your local bike shop & ask for some advice!!
Describe the symptoms,ask how to pin point the fault & are there any tests
you can do
Dont borrow a CDI either as you could end up owing someone!!

GR81
27th November 2006, 09:10
i was hoping the local honda dealership might have some form of testing equipment. (cyclespot, barry's point road)
but knowing honda nz, im prolly dreamin! :angry:

crazybigal
27th November 2006, 09:13
i think gp honda in tauranga has one

GR81
27th November 2006, 11:15
ok, so i've spoken to my usual mechanic and he thinks its probably the fuel pump as its a common problem with the CBR600's.
so ill have a play and see what i can see.
anyone in auckland with some know-how and willing to help, please let me know. im in hillcrest on the shore. thanks :)

GR81
27th November 2006, 14:11
someone has just informed me it could be the 'rectifier'

so now i have 3 plauseable options...
A. CDI
B. fuel pump
C. recifier

is anyone good with a multimeter?

ben444
27th November 2006, 14:32
What are the symptons... what is the bike actually doing... or not doing??? I've worked on a few of these things....

GR81
27th November 2006, 14:38
What are the symptons... what is the bike actually doing... or not doing??? I've worked on a few of these things....
ok...
ATNR... 98kms of fun, head to pub, slow idle (thort nothing of it). turn bike off, have beer, feed etc
go to leave, idling low, ride off, feels sluggish, 300m down the road at the lights, bike stalls and wont start. (still 1/2 tank gas)

tried push starting it about 10 times, turns over, wants to start but not sparking due to no spark or no fuel.
once out of the 10 times it kind of started, sparks, flames, running real rough etc then 10 seconds later died... hasnt started since.

spark plugs are all fine.

thats about all the info i have.

Sketchy_Racer
27th November 2006, 15:13
Yeah sounds more like a faulty fuel pump.

Normally when something electrical like a CDI goes, Its bam gone.

Check the fuel pump first. Good luck :)

ben444
27th November 2006, 15:37
Okey dokey then...

Step one: Check for spark... Take plug cap and spark plug out, put spark plug back in the plug cap and put side off plug so it's earth against something e.g cylinder head.. turn over using starter see if there's a spark... do for all 4..

Step two: Check resistance of plug cap... take plug out and screw off ht lead.. measure with multimeter from plug end to ht lead end.. should be around 5Kohm, if i remember correctly...

Step three: Check coils... primary resistance check on the coils.. measure between the 2 terminals on the coil...should be about 2.5 to 3.1 ohm...
Secondary resistance check... measure from plug cap ends, stick the probes in the plug caps from cyl 1 & 4, then 2 & 3... should be about 21-25kohm..

Step Four: check all kill switchs, the main kill switch, the neutral switch, clutch switch etc,

Also check that the fuel pump isn't upside down.... we spent hours on a F4 to found out that the fuel pump was in the wrong way...

That should do it so far... let me know how ya get on..

ben444
27th November 2006, 15:43
If theres flames and explosions shooting out the exhaust then sounds like there's fuel getting in there but not firing....

GR81
27th November 2006, 17:01
ok, so i pulled a spark plug out and tested for spark... NO SPARK!

so i dug around a little and pulled out a couple of plugs... and this is what i found.
if this is the problem... hooray!!! (providing something else didnt cause it to go bang)... but the downside... i owe QKCHK some beers! :( haha

pics attached.

ben444
27th November 2006, 17:56
Yep... that'l do it... I have a reg/rectifier for sale,... also you prob have to buy a new battery.

GR81
27th November 2006, 18:18
Yep... that'l do it... I have a reg/rectifier for sale,... also you prob have to buy a new battery.
PM me the details please :)
battery still seems fine.
hopefully i wont need to replace the plug.

ArcherWC
29th November 2006, 16:33
Hehe, so do you want to tell them what was wrong or should i

GR81
29th November 2006, 20:42
Hehe, so do you want to tell them what was wrong or should i
do i know you? haha

after ArcherWC tested all the electrical stuff, it turns out the problem was a vacuum hose going from the carbs to the fuel tap on the tank which creates a vacuum to open the diaphram on the fuel tap. the hose wasnt secured very well and fell off eventually causing the bike to starve of fuel and stop running.

:first:
-a big thanks goes out to 'ben444' for his on going advice.
-a high 5 goes out to GTAe for picking me up with his trailer.
-a good old smack on the bum goes out to QKCHK for her advice in trying to help.

and last, but not least... a good, old fashioned dry hump goes out to ArcherWC for his help this afternoon... couldnt have done it without you :love:

ArcherWC
29th November 2006, 20:47
and last, but not least... a good, old fashioned dry hump goes out to ArcherWC for his help this afternoon... couldnt have done it without you :love:

I dont think i want to be dry humped, now if you were talking lube..........ok that is still nasty, hahahahahaha

GR81
29th November 2006, 20:49
warming gel?

ArcherWC
29th November 2006, 20:52
warming gel?

Bloody Honda riders, they are all dodgy :-)

GR81
29th November 2006, 21:00
Bloody Honda riders, they are all dodgy :-)
it's worse when they own 3 :dodge:

ben444
29th November 2006, 22:07
Glad i can help by leading you in the completely wrong direction:whistle: ...

Boosted
30th November 2006, 12:34
yeh and i aint picking him up anymore on the trailer :P