PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank cleaning and repairs

Alive
27th November 2006, 08:59
I have a tank that is straight and tidy but it has got rust inside it.

This tank was repaired and then lined with some sealant that was never cured properly and has started peeling off on the inside, oh and it still has a leak.

Anyone know a place I can take it in Auckland to get it cleaned and repaired?

crazybigal
27th November 2006, 09:17
once you get all the crap out of it, por15 has a kit for re-sealing the tank, $60 http://www.por15.co.nz/POR15Prod/motorcyclekit.htm

Alive
27th November 2006, 11:11
once you get all the crap out of it, por15 has a kit for re-sealing the tank, $60 http://www.por15.co.nz/POR15Prod/motorcyclekit.htm

Cheers for that... worth looking in to even though I suspect that it is a very similar product that was used last time... they guy just did it a few months too soon!

dhunt
27th November 2006, 11:26
I was talking to a guy the other week who reconned those kits were pretty useless as they don't come with enough sealant to cover the whole tank. Which means there's gaps where the metal is still exposed.

I think he was buying some sort of stuff in 20L drums or something to do tanks with. He owned a M/C dismantlers and does quite a bit of stuff like this. So maybe see someone similar in your neck of the woods.

Kwaka14
27th November 2006, 11:34
When I had my old GPX I had problems with a rusty tank and got a kit that had a few stages, an acid for dissolving the rust, then a flush with water, then dry and a good sealant, it worked fantastically but was a lot of work, about a week of no bike while all of the stages were completed, but if you can handle that then it's worthwhile, I'll see if I can find the details for you if you like..

crazybigal
27th November 2006, 11:56
you can buy a bigger kit for car tanks for $100

I was talking to a guy the other week who reconned those kits were pretty useless as they don't come with enough sealant to cover the whole tank. Which means there's gaps where the metal is still exposed.

I think he was buying some sort of stuff in 20L drums or something to do tanks with. He owned a M/C dismantlers and does quite a bit of stuff like this. So maybe see someone similar in your neck of the woods.

Alive
27th November 2006, 12:16
When I had my old GPX I had problems with a rusty tank and got a kit that had a few stages, an acid for dissolving the rust, then a flush with water, then dry and a good sealant, it worked fantastically but was a lot of work, about a week of no bike while all of the stages were completed, but if you can handle that then it's worthwhile, I'll see if I can find the details for you if you like..

Bikes off the road for a while yet so any details you have would come in handy

Cheers

Alive
27th November 2006, 12:18

Yea when I saw the amounts on the link I wondered if that would be enough... I then found the car one which would definately be enough ;)

Kwaka14
27th November 2006, 12:39
Bikes off the road for a while yet so any details you have would come in handy

Cheers

I got the GF to chek and it was POR 15, and it worked well, was a long process and you have to shake the tank around a lot to coat the whole inside, but definitely a good product.....

Alive
28th November 2006, 09:58
I got the GF to chek and it was POR 15, and it worked well, was a long process and you have to shake the tank around a lot to coat the whole inside, but definitely a good product.....

Henderson Motorcycles gave me the PH for Reflections...

They're start prices are around $100 so I'm going to take it to them and see what they can do :)