PDA

View Full Version : Security & tank bags

paulj
27th November 2006, 19:25
I've searched the threads and can't find a lot about bike security - say while parked/shacked up at an ale-house or sleeping off an over indulgence out on the trail - any comments would be welcome.

Tank Bags - anyone using them on say a DR650 like mine? With the high pointy fuel tank it seems to me that a tank bag may not be too practical - again, any comments welcomed.

miSTa
27th November 2006, 19:50
I've searched the threads and can't find a lot about bike security - say while parked/shacked up at an ale-house or sleeping off an over indulgence out on the trail - any comments would be welcome.
That's one I've thought about myself every now and again. Ultimately there's not a lot you can do apart from take it with you everywhere, which in itself is not very practicle. Leave on the bike but make sure you have nothing of value.

Tank Bags - anyone using them on say a DR650 like mine? With the high pointy fuel tank it seems to me that a tank bag may not be too practical - again, any comments welcomed.
While I don't have a DR, I do have tank that I think is useless for tankbags. What I've done is convert the Ventura tankbag I had for my ZZR1100 into a seatbag. Witha few clips and a bit of strapping it works real well, almost - I need to devise a way of having a bag on the back when carrying a passenger (a pack rack is not an option).

Motu
27th November 2006, 19:55
I've got a Wolfman Enduro tankbag,it's made for dirt bike tanks.It doesn't hold a lot,and you can just unzip it to get inside....same as any tankbag I expect? They have a bit of a tricky mounting system,as you'd expect with such a wierd tank shape,so if someone wanted to get it off they'd have a bit of a fiddle to suss it out.But a sharp knife would get it off in 5 seconds.

Gineen
27th November 2006, 20:09
I gave my friend one and he uses it a lot. It holds heaps, and sticks onto the tank with magnets, so you simply pull it off.
Is also useful for carrying an emergency tool kit, first aid kit, and stuff that won't fit under the seat. Wouldn't leave it on the bike though!
It doesn't get in the way on his '98 Suzi GSXR

gijoe1313
27th November 2006, 20:26
I was researching this issue a whiles ago, here's a site ...

http://www.marvelox.com/packs_pacsafe.php

I was looking at the lidsafe for my helmet...and wondered about the PacSafe products as well!

paulj
27th November 2006, 20:58
The real use for a tank bag - for me anyway - is to hold the map/GPS under a plastic cover in front of me - beats the hell out of stopping and rummaging in a back-pack. Perhaps there's another way to do this part and flag the storage aspect?

far queue
29th November 2006, 07:54

The real use for a tank bag - for me anyway - is to hold the map/GPS under a plastic cover in front of me - beats the hell out of stopping and rummaging in a back-pack. Perhaps there's another way to do this part and flag the storage aspect?Here's a pic of my bike about to head off to the Nelson Rally a couple of weeks ago. I use a Ventura pack rack and bags, soft saddle bags, and a tank bag. I sometimes use it all and sometimes use different combinations depending on the ride. I've never had trouble with stuff getting taken, but the saddle bags cant be removed before the bag on the pack rack and the bag on the pack rack cant be removed before the tent, so no one's going to run off with anything in a hurry in a hurry. The tank bag is just a magnetic one, which I take with me if I'm away from the bike. The clear top to it is definitely handy for maps. I've only had an incident with it once, when a BIG gust from a big truck going in the opposite direction blew one side off the tank - I slapped it straight back on and pulled over to adjust it properly. No big drama.

Crisis management
29th November 2006, 08:02
Far queue, where did you get the bash plate from, it looks as tho it provides better side protection for the engine than the one I use now.
Last trime I had a "rest" in the gravel this lack of protection became obvious!

far queue
29th November 2006, 22:14
It's made by B&B Aluminium Products in Oz - their number is Oz 03 5335 8000. I got mine through Dirt Action here in Chch - their number is 03 3890080. You can see one here (http://gobike.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=371_684_692). If you want some more pics of mine, I could arrange that.

Steam
29th November 2006, 23:07
Pacsafe is the only thing I've ever seen for pack security. I don't know how cuttable the cables are though, but apparently a leatherman or pliers can't cut them.
[EDIT] oh I looked it up, and a leatherman can cut the mesh, and proper pliers more easily than that. So not so useful. "The Pacsafe netting is made of high tensile stainless steel wire, which is difficult to cut even with sharp pliers".

bell
30th November 2006, 17:29
I've got a Wolfman Enduro tankbag,it's made for dirt bike tanks.It doesn't hold a lot,and you can just unzip it to get inside....same as any tankbag I expect? They have a bit of a tricky mounting system,as you'd expect with such a wierd tank shape,so if someone wanted to get it off they'd have a bit of a fiddle to suss it out.But a sharp knife would get it off in 5 seconds.

Aaaahh, Motu beat me to it...Wolfman make fantastic products. I have a magnetic bag similar in capacity to the Wolfman Enduro - the Wolfman Timberwolf Mag Bag. Approx 23 litres or so? Super strong magnets (if one of these blew off when a truck blew past you I reckon you'd need to have your hands strapped to the bars or you'd be off too. 25 pounds of force for each of the 10 magnets. Keep your wallet in your jacket pocket.)

If fit is important for you then go for the sloping bottomed type bag as you'll have a more ergonomic item in front of you that shouldn't get in the way of the bars at full lock, etc.

I can't stress enough that you need to really research the dimensions of the bag you might buy exceptionally well - even better, try it on the tank! Buying gear off the net or from o/s as I did requires patience and a bit of mock-up modelling of the size/shape that you'll have on the tank to make the process less painful. (I still have an old strap-on tankbag that I bought in haste and hardly used as it couldn't be made to fit my old bike without the horn or starter getting in the way even at less than full lock.

Pacsafe gear is pretty good I am led to believe. Do a search on here for Pacsafe and you'll get a few hits. AMPS still have the Tankbag at 30% off I believe. approx 250$ from memory.

Happy shopping!

cooneyr
4th December 2006, 11:24
I've got a Wolfman Enduro tankbag,it's made for dirt bike tanks.

Aaaahh, Motu beat me to it...Wolfman make fantastic products.

Where you fullas get the Wolfman enduro from? Seems many yanks on DR650's use it too. I'm interested to check one out.

Cheers
R

Wolf
8th December 2006, 09:27
Where you fullas get the Wolfman enduro from? Seems many yanks on DR650's use it too. I'm interested to check one out.

Cheers
R

I'm interested in knowing, too - and how much they cost.

RedKLR650
12th January 2007, 00:30

My KLR has a high pointy tank like your DR. I just googled KLR650 and found a place in the states that makes a bag just for it. Can fill tank with bag in place. Clips to the welded seam of the tank.

As for bike security, I use a python cable wrapped around hrough the straps and handles of any panniers and packs etc, especially whilts on the ferry and suchlike. As for the tank bag, I just take it off :-) Cheers, Stu:scooter: