PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle removal problem

oldguy
27th November 2006, 23:05
Help needed can't remove rear axle on daughter DRZ125 the axle is very tightly jammed in I have tryed to hammer out with a hammer and bit of wood trying not to damage the thread,no luck, can anyone help as I,m thinking of just trying to bash it out and just buy a new axle, any help appreciated.
John

insane1
27th November 2006, 23:53
lots of marine crc let it soak for a while i mean 2 or so hours then chunk of wood and hammer gently tap it out sho;uld work iv"e tried this on other things works well.

forkoil
28th November 2006, 11:11
So axle nut is removed, and axle wont drive out? So assume it is seized on the wheel bearings? If thats the case then theres bugger all you can do except try to squirt a bit of silicon/CRC/WD40 down around the axle/bearing srfaces. If you do brute force it, you will be up for 2 new wheel bearings, which isnt too pricey and if they are seized they are prob due for it anyway...

oldguy
28th November 2006, 16:12
Thanks for the advise will give what you say ago, CRCed it last night but still very tight but has moved ten mil may try and borrow one of the slide type hammers the panelbeaters use to pull dents out, may just get it behind the hex head end of the shaft and hopefully be able to pull it out.

terbang
28th November 2006, 16:28
Its not uncommon if you do a bit of riding in the rain for the axles to fizz a bit and bind on the inner races of the bearings. I had that problem recently on my Busa. I used a similar diameter Brass drift to knock it out with no damage. Make sure you put a thin layer of grease on the axle prior to reassembly.

nadroj
28th November 2006, 19:17
Just check it's not threaded at the head end as well as at the nut end. Try turning it anticlockwise & see.

oldguy
28th November 2006, 20:12
Thanks for the advise, got it out with only a little damage to the thread that can be fixed, there was a bit of rust between 1 of the wheel bearings and the axle which was the problem, will give the axle and inside of the bearing a bit of a clean up and grease up before reinstalling them.
Now I know why she had very little back brake, one of the linings had come of the shoe, head into town tomorrow and pick up a new set and chain as well.

thanks again. John