PDA

View Full Version : Pod filters

Morcs
28th November 2006, 13:05
Is it okay to run pod filters?

Am getting the bandit setup and balanced on a dyno some time soon, and thinking about it as K&N no longer do a filter for my bandit.

I know the airbox is there to give equal air intake to each carb, but if setup properly will pod filters work on such a small bike?

Chairs in advance,

onearmedbandit
28th November 2006, 13:10
Wouldn't recommend it myself, introduces a lot of fueling issues with different temperatures, humidity etc. But it's your bike.

Morcs
28th November 2006, 13:50
Thats cool. I was running one on my old bike, but that was single carb, and it ran and sounded great.

Paul in NZ
28th November 2006, 13:52
4 pods would cost a fair bit as well.

Coyote
28th November 2006, 14:09
I'd do it for the style. Screw performance when it can look like it's made to go fast. Why else would homies have bodykits and big bores :p

F5 Dave
28th November 2006, 14:24
std filter will give very close to the most performance you can get. Airbox type K&Ns require rejetting or you will lose performance. Pod filters can give carburetion nightmares. Pirate cheapo brand Pods often flow badly.

As usual sound doesn't = power, although you'd be pressed to pick that by aural experience.

Morcs
28th November 2006, 14:33
Ok. I wont bother. Thanks :yes: :scooter:

erik
28th November 2006, 14:45
what's the bandit 250 filter like?

On the 400 it's just a sheet of foam cut to the right shape to fit the airbox, there's a frame/mesh in the airbox that supports it.
If the 250's the same as the bandit, you could just get some filter foam and cut it to shape.

then again, it might just need a wash and to be re-oiled.

F5 Dave
28th November 2006, 15:26
I remember a depressingly long time ago my filter of my miserable GSX250 was cruddy so I made a new one & oiled it, then messed around with the carbs etc trying to get it to run right, even took the carbs in by themselves to be balanced (ho-ho).

Wasn't running very well at all so took it to a mechanic, he looked at the filter that I had made out of any old foam, (probably from Para rubber) & asked for the original back. Bike went much better after that. I must have been pretty clueless, but so were my mates back then so :whocares: