PDA

View Full Version : Cleve's report AMCC Rd 1

Cleve
28th November 2006, 22:30
Report is a bit late...
Didn't feel like writing a report after what happened to good friend and team mate Paul at this round.
I also had to leave the next day for business in Thailand and write this now from a hotel in Bangkok.

Puke should be banned for racing. Racing is dangerous and you can have offs and land badly but the worse that should happen is a few bruises, maybe cuts and at very worse broken bones. But a 180kph plus corner that is bumpy and with NO run off but just a solid wall next to it is just plain criminal.
I am still a bit shook after the event and can't stop thinking about it. With Greg, we were just behind Paul when he had his big off. We saw him as the crash was ending. He usually runs about the same as us but in that race he was a second a lap faster (1.04's) and was obviously going bloody well.

I have considered stopping racing but the message from Paul is that he wants Jill and I (and anyone else as well I guess) to keep going and not stop racing. I haven't told my wife yet what has happened to Paul and I am not sure what her reaction (and withdrawal of support) will be.
At least I will be seriously considering never racing at Puke again, as much as I, at places, just love the track (and with sufficient run off on those bad corners would be an awesome place to race).

Anyway on to the report. Two 5ths in F2 was OK. It was also where I qualified. And lap times in the 1.05's. I had new Ohlins on the rear and traxxion internals on the front by Robert Taylor just a few days before the meet and was really looking forward to trying a bike for the first time in my life with real springy parts. Need more track time to have them sorted properly though. In places they were awesome (coming in to Castrol) and in places horrible (coming into Jennian - but then again I think everyone was being bounced around there...)

Thanks to Shaun for his adjustments at the track as they weren't set up right at the start and to Kevin and the team Jill and Paul for the usual.

All respect and love to Jill for what she did that day. An awesome result (3rd in race 2 after Paul's crash). You and Paul are younger sister/older brother to me.

May see you all at round two, but as I said, still not sure on that one...

Rossi Gal
29th November 2006, 10:04
I am again sorry to hear the news of what happened that day. My heart goes out to you. And i am glad to see that you are both going to stay racing, and knowing that thats what Paul wants for you.
Well done on your results, keep going and we'll see you at the track again soon.

loosebruce
29th November 2006, 11:14
You're not alone in how you feel Cleve, too many people indeed, now 4 good mats seriously injured at puke, there is time to say enough is enough, i've said it, puke won't see me lapping there until changes are made.
What i dont get is how easy it would be to make certain corners that much safer, on the outside of the hill all that is needed is relocate the armco 5-10 metres up the bank and to fill in the run off with a gravel pit to take the speed off, it would not take much seating space up, why the fuck they are dicking around changing track layout, god only knows!

Bring on Hampton Downs, keep up the good work too Cleve, see ya round!

babyB
29th November 2006, 12:21
as Rossi said my heart goes out to ya
but good on ya and well done

kickingzebra
29th November 2006, 21:09
Mate. Paul beating you!! hehe...
Gutted with the whole situation, I'll race the nationals there but no club racing. Can't bear the thought. 100 grand and it could all be sweet, but they just ignore it. So stupid and near sighted, and then the nicest person in the world suffers for it.
Look forward to seeing you at the next one anyway.
Chin up bro/senior team mate?!

Cleve
1st December 2006, 20:18
Thanks for the comments above and also the PM's. Much appreciated.
With talk about what to do about Puke and Hampton Downs now passed the first hurdle of resource consent we may have some light at end for the top of N Island racer's problems...

gpercivl
2nd December 2006, 02:49
Hi Cleve, I know how you feel and it can be very tough on your family too. In Dec 2000 I got hooked up in another rider's bike and was straightened into the wall just where Paul went in. Last I remember seeing was the wall coming straight at me and then snap! I'm talking to my father in the ambulance 25 minutes later with a broken ankle and concussion.

It took me a lot of effort to go back racing at Pukekohe, then again last year I was standing at the wall at Manfeild when Owen was killed.

It's a very dangerous sport so why do we continue to do it? Who knows, but I believe a short life full of achievement is better than a long life watching others.

Hope to see you in front of me again out there. Cheers, Greg

Cleve
4th December 2006, 10:34
Hi Cleve, I know how you feel and it can be very tough on your family too. In Dec 2000 I got hooked up in another rider's bike and was straightened into the wall just where Paul went in. Last I remember seeing was the wall coming straight at me and then snap! I'm talking to my father in the ambulance 25 minutes later with a broken ankle and concussion.

It took me a lot of effort to go back racing at Pukekohe, then again last year I was standing at the wall at Manfeild when Owen was killed.

It's a very dangerous sport so why do we continue to do it? Who knows, but I believe a short life full of achievement is better than a long life watching others.

Hope to see you in front of me again out there. Cheers, Greg

Yes motor racing is dangerous but when you crash you should slide, not hit a wall. That is just irresponsible for a race track these days. Puke first, then lets get serious about other tracks and their issues in NZ. I want to go hard on the race track and not have to worry about crap like armco and concrete walls when I am leaned over at 180kph plus...

gpercivl
5th December 2006, 15:31
Point taken Cleve!

Went and saw Paul at lunch time today, we had a good chat.

Cleve
5th December 2006, 21:13
Point taken Cleve!

Went and saw Paul at lunch time today, we had a good chat.

I heard. I saw Paul tonight. Are you doing the Taupo 31st race?

gpercivl
6th December 2006, 16:30
I heard. I saw Paul tonight. Are you doing the Taupo 31st race?

Maybe, I haven't got the entry form yet...I'll be down at Wanganui helping out with lap timing but don't really feel like racing at the moment after the events of these last 2 weeks...might come down and watch for a change.

Cheers, Greg