PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof backpacks?

XR250 Si
29th November 2006, 10:23
Well, I'm almost ready to risk life and limb on the roads to work and back. Need to get myself a small/medium sized backpack suitable for putting a change of clothes, snacks, a few spares, bike lock etc. in. I'm having no trouble finding backpacks, just can't find anything decent that's fully waterproof.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Ghost Lemur
29th November 2006, 11:06
A plastic bag?

Seriously, they all use zips, therefore they will leak. Seen a couple of bags with "water proof zips", but they seem to be more trouble than they are worth. Just choose the bag you like most, then thow either a shopping bag or rubbish (I'd go for rubbish, even if you have to cut it down to fit, as they're made of a thicker plastic) bag.

WRT
29th November 2006, 11:13
I've got an Oakley Toolbox (http://oakley.com/o/o3886d), which is small/medium sized, very rugged design, lots of pockets/straps etc, including one on the top for an MP3 player, and one on the back for goggles/glasses. There are external pockets (not waterproof) for shoes/drink bottles/etc, plus internal pouches for paperwork/pens/etc.

One fantastic feature for bike riders is a set of straps on the back for holding a spare helmet. Five point harness and non-slip material hold it firmly in place.

There is also plenty of padding on the back, it has a chest strap and a removable waist strap as well, which comes in handy for "spirited" riding.

Haven't had it in a torrential downpour yet, but it seems to be pretty waterproof. Bear in mind that your body shields your bag from the worst of a drenching on a bike anyway.

Bend-it
29th November 2006, 11:19
Yeah, I ride my bike in to work and on the worst days, I put on a $6 warehouse raincoat over my gear and the bag. Works a treat.

Most backpacks are water resistant anyway, so smaller showers aren't much of a problem anyway, since like WRT said, your body shields most of it if you're riding forwards... ;)

judecatmad
29th November 2006, 11:22
The plastic bags inside the backpack works for me cos my backpack is about as waterproof as a box of tissues.... My tank bag is pretty waterproof tho. Never gotten wet inside yet and it's seen a lot of rain!!! (still use plastic bags inside just in case tho)

Hubby has a backpack he got from Briscoes which has a yellow cover that pulls out from under the bag and goes right over the bag with an elastic edge. Looks naff but does the trick and makes him highly visible in the rain!

Bend-it
29th November 2006, 11:28
Yeah... visibility in the rain... maybe I should get a yellow raincoat instead!:sick:

vifferman
29th November 2006, 11:31
I found out that the Ventura backpacks are waterproof even though they don't claim to be, BUT the seams leak, so their stormcover is mandatory. Trouble is, it flaps around like a bastid. So, as others have said, plastic bags are the go, but only really necessary in prolonged wet-weather rain, or heavy rain. I keep some in the pockets all the time, ever since I got home and found 5cm of water in the bottom of the bag...
How come it gets in but can't get out again? :spudwhat:

My Motoline tankbag seems to be reasonably rain-resistant, but it comes with an elasticated cover with clear top (so you can still see the map book or read comics). It works very well.

Apart from when you put it on sideways... :doh: :o

clint640
29th November 2006, 12:06
My old Macpac Tuatara is pretty good at staying dry. Look for something like it with a drawstring & top flap instead of a zip. Otherwise lightweight drybags are good inside anything & can be got cheaply at Rebel sport & suchlike.

Cheers
Clint

judecatmad
29th November 2006, 16:07
Yeah... visibility in the rain... maybe I should get a yellow raincoat instead!:sick:

Nah, then you'd just look like a dodgy flasher......:laugh:

XR250 Si
29th November 2006, 16:17
Cheers all:msn-wink:

I use the Black Sack bags to hold my catch when I go landbased fishing... why didn't I think of doing the same on the bike???

dawnrazor
29th November 2006, 16:50
http://www.lowealpine.com/Products/Detail.asp?ProductTypeID=17&ProductGroupID=1041&Position=0&SpecificActivityID=

these are seriously good, never have to worry about them failing and have been caught in some down pours as well, I use one like this everyday.

WRT
29th November 2006, 17:09
Note that there is one small trap for young players . . . if your backpack has one of the double zips that can be undone in either direction, make sure you pull both zips to one side. If you leave them pulled together at the top, then the wind can get inside it and split the zips wide open. It probably only happens if you leave a small gap open, but regardless pulling both zips to one side is a good habit to get in to. Last thing you want is to have it come open at pace and scatter your cargo down the side of the road.

I found this out going over the harbour bridge one time . . .

Zukin
29th November 2006, 21:06
I use a SealPak for the smaller trips!
It is great, waterproof (yep I put it in the bath with a brick on it :) )and dustproof.

I simply attach it to to the seat (where is joins the fuel tank) using the straps, I slide it off when I leave the bike, and use it as a bumbag :)

Have a look here (http://www.ampro.co.nz/products/casca/sealline04.htm)
Scroll down about1/2 way and you will see the Sealpak

Cheers

The Big J
30th November 2006, 08:13
Ground Effects make good gear for cyclists. I use their backpack with a Platypus all the time and it's great. Take the time to get one comfortable if you're using it a lot.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/

Wolf
30th November 2006, 14:44
After years of camping I'm used to bunging my gear in kitchen bin liner bags, squeezing the air out and securing them with twist ties - waterproof and shrinks the load down so you can cram more into the pack (only works on soft stuff like clothes, don't try to squeeze the air out of your camera or cell phone).

I usually stick things that won't stand getting wet (camera, phone etc) in small plastic bags and seal them before putting them in my pack.

placidfemme
13th December 2006, 10:05
Well, I'm almost ready to risk life and limb on the roads to work and back. Need to get myself a small/medium sized backpack suitable for putting a change of clothes, snacks, a few spares, bike lock etc. in. I'm having no trouble finding backpacks, just can't find anything decent that's fully waterproof.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

My recommendation would be "MotoDry" backpacks... Sam and I both brought one each about a year and half ago... They are specifically designed for bikers, with a slant at the bottom, also a waterproof cover when it rains... strap to go around the waist for extra support, padding in the back so it sits nicer on your back, nice wide straps and has 6 pockets varying in size... if I remember correctly they were $89 each from Red Baron.

Bartman10
14th December 2006, 12:23
There are heaps of good packs around.

I'm a big Macpac fan and have only used Macpac for the last 22 or so years. None of my Macpacs have ever let me down.

At the moment I'm using a Macpac tekapo 25 L and it's just about perfect for day tripping. Good harness, no zip to the main compartment just a fold over flap, and very waterproof.

It also has handy mesh pockets for putting things like a spare tube etc on the outside and a handy pocket on top. :Punk:

Great pack.

Cheers.

Moki
23rd January 2007, 23:18
Firstlight make a great waterproof backpack. It's meant for kayaking, however works great and keeps the wet out.

cooneyr
24th January 2007, 07:34
There are heaps of good packs around.

I'm a big Macpac fan and have only used Macpac for the last 22 or so years. None of my Macpacs have ever let me down.

At the moment I'm using a Macpac tekapo 25 L and it's just about perfect for day tripping. Good harness, no zip to the main compartment just a fold over flap, and very waterproof.

It also has handy mesh pockets for putting things like a spare tube etc on the outside and a handy pocket on top. :Punk:

Great pack.

Cheers.

Go the Tekapo! I've got one too and have used it multiple times in the rain and never got wet inside main pack. Still put phone in plastic bag when in top pouch but dont bother with wallet and it only gets slightly damp when been out for ages. Used it on a day ride where we got either rain, snow and hail continuously for 10 hours and gear didn't get wet.

Been using Macpac for past 12 years tramping and never gotten really wet gear but do sometimes get slightly damp to touch gear when really wet and doing river crossings etc.

Cheers R

RedKLR650
26th January 2007, 13:11
I use a SealPak for the smaller trips!
It is great, waterproof (yep I put it in the bath with a brick on it :) )and dustproof.Cheers

Those look great

Another 100% waterproof version are the Lowepro waterproof camera backpacks that have a fully sealing zip like used on a drysuit. They are designed to float fully loaded so would work great for those of you who are into serious river crossings. Cheers, Stu:scooter:

sinned
26th January 2007, 13:23
Buy a backpack that is designed to be worn on a bike. I bought a really neat and expensive backpack with a frame that fitted really well and felt great; until I got on the bike and found the frame lifted the bag so high it pushed on the helmet. Without the frame there is too much weight pulling on the shoulders and cutting off circulation to the arms - sports bike riding position. I am now getting a ventura frame - wearing a backpack for more than a few kms is a real pain.

Gear from bike shops is also well priced compared to what you pay for something equivalent in a sports shop. Price bike gear first and then consider other stuff.

Street Gerbil
26th January 2007, 13:49
Kathmandu has $20 plastic covers for backpacks that make them waterproof.