PDA

View Full Version : New rust record for GNs?

Lucy
29th November 2006, 22:08
Not sure what the current record is, but today I noticed a little rust on one of the bolts at the front, and also a bracket that is near the horn (keeping the wires in check) is not black anymore but brown.

It's kept in a carport under a tarp.

Is this a new record? I've had the bike four weeks. It's done 830ks

McJim
29th November 2006, 22:20
You bought a brand new GN didn't you?

Should have got a 1983 one - should be another 2 years before they start showing rust.

Lucy
29th November 2006, 22:28
Yeah I know, but I couldn't afford one of the old GN's so had to buy a brand new Chinese one....

JimO
30th November 2006, 05:55
it may be better not to cover it, is it a breathable cover because if it isnt the bike may be sweating

Crisis management
30th November 2006, 06:55
That is entirely unacceptable, if it can't last 4 weeks without corroding in a protected environment then how is it supposed to last 5 years. It is a piece of machinery intended for use in all weathers......
I would go and have a huge hissy fit at the supplier.

I haven't got that much corrosion on my GSXR and thats 20 years old

(that might be an exageration)

frogfeaturesFZR
30th November 2006, 07:35
What CM said. Thats unacceptable, take it in, show the dealer and complain loudly.

jeremysprite
30th November 2006, 11:05
Yup throw up a big stink right in front of prospective customers, that'll move you through the process quicker.

WarlockNZ
30th November 2006, 11:13
Yeah I know, but I couldn't afford one of the old GN's so had to buy a brand new Chinese one....

hang on, Chinese what now ???

marty
30th November 2006, 11:32
no it's not a record. i rode a demo M109R that had 300kms on the clock that had rust starting on some of the exhaust bolt heads

davereid
30th November 2006, 19:16
yep, sorry to break the news to ya warlock, but the GN is another fine product of the peoples republic.

There is little you can do about rust on the exhaust and the bits that get hot, but a good quality general purpose polish like "dress it" leaves a very thin film on what ever its wiped on, and it helps protect from rust etc.

SwanTiger
30th November 2006, 19:21
What do you expect from such a poor over-produced brand such as Suzuki? Buy a Hyosung next time love, the little V-Twin will give you a tickle what for and you'll be away with the fairies.

Lucy
1st December 2006, 16:18
Sorry but I can't buy a bike that I can't pronounce...

I looked at the warranty and I should be able to get them to at least sand it off for me as it happened in less than 90 days. I thought I bought it at the end of October but it was actually the 3 Nov. So inside a month.

I'm a bit bummed as I was prepared for early rust, but not this early, and I had even wiped it with CRC.

Hitcher
1st December 2006, 16:28
If you want to see something rust faster than your new Suzuki, buy a Ventura pack rack. I think they must apply a sub-molecular coat of chrome to pre-rusted steel. You'll have scab rust present within a month. Guaranteed.

Lissa
1st December 2006, 17:02
I'm going to go check my bike out tonight.. only had it less than 3 weeks though, hopefully I wont find any rust. Thats really poor Lucy, its alot of money to spend on something that rust's after a month or so, hope I didnt make the wrong decision buying a new one.

Mom
1st December 2006, 17:10
Sorry but I can't buy a bike that I can't pronounce...

I looked at the warranty and I should be able to get them to at least sand it off for me as it happened in less than 90 days. I thought I bought it at the end of October but it was actually the 3 Nov. So inside a month.

I'm a bit bummed as I was prepared for early rust, but not this early, and I had even wiped it with CRC.

It breaks my heart to see and hear of the classic GN failing so quickly......I saw one the other day I sold back in the mid 80's.........it had rust.......not so bad but it was there.........my new one had rust in weeks too.......still it has helped a lot of people back onto, or into 2 wheels so it cant be all bad........warranty???????? best of luck there is all I can say.......what a shame

imdying
1st December 2006, 18:00
Time to harden up. It cost you bugger all, and a little surface rust isn't going cause you any grief. Your first bin will probably cost you more :lol:

Keep it clean, and keep a towel in the garage to wipe it down after getting home in the rain. Spray n wipe a bit of CRC on the 'chrome' bits too, that'll help keep it at bay.

Each 2006 GN250 is equally badly made, so at least when you go to sell it, the condition of your won't be anything out of the ordinary :)

Lucy
1st December 2006, 18:24
Thanks for the sympathy.....not. I think I am quite hardened to it, like I said, I was sort of expecting it eventually.

I do keep it clean, I do wipe it down, and I had spray and wiped it with CRC.

I wish 3 1/2 grand was 'bugger all' to me. You must be rich.

degrom
1st December 2006, 20:27
Thanks for the sympathy.....not. I think I am quite hardened to it, like I said, I was sort of expecting it eventually.

I do keep it clean, I do wipe it down, and I had spray and wiped it with CRC.

I wish 3 1/2 grand was 'bugger all' to me. You must be rich.

In bike price terms... $3500*New bike = 'bugger all' * New bike....

What will a 1983 GN250 with 80k on be worth?

Lucy
1st December 2006, 20:39
Dunno, are you selling one? Yeah I know that it's cheap for a new bike, that's why I bought it. I still really like it and plan to keep it for a while, I just thought that less than a month was pretty damn quick, even for a 'cheap bike'. I'd be cross if my BBQ rusted that fast, and they are a lot cheaper.

degrom
1st December 2006, 20:44
I thinking of selling yes... But I must say for I will miss it once it's gone. It's one of the most relaxed bikes I ever had. They just keep on going and going!!!

Lucy
1st December 2006, 20:48
I'll let you know if mine is still going in 23 years! It is funny how the design hasn't changed, I like it. I think I'll always be a cruiser rider by the way I'm going.

Cookie
1st December 2006, 20:52
[...]I do keep it clean, I do wipe it down, and I had spray and wiped it with CRC.[...]

My advice is to spray the CRC directly on the surfaces then wipe off any excess (if you are not already doing so).

Safe riding.

heyjoe
2nd December 2006, 00:00
There has been a lot of comments by GN250 owners about the rust problems in recent times. My wife used to have a GN250 about 23 years ago and it was a nice bike which she enjoyed and rode nearly every day. It is disapointing to see the quality of finish of these machines deteriorate to this poor standard.

I am not defending the Chinese made models as the testimony of many riders here in kb clearly show a pretty good overall picture of what the quality of finish is like now. My opinion is that the Chinese manuafacturers have made these like this because they can. What I mean is no-one has done anything about it. Surely the reports of the crap quality has been passed on from owners complaining to dealers and dealers complaining to Suzuki. If nothing has changed from this negative feedback then assume someone in the chain of events has decided to ignore it all. Surely this cannot be good for the Suzuki name. I don't accept the excuse that you get what you pay for. It has the Suzuki name on the badge and that is all the buyer sees. Suzuki is Suzuki.

When I worked selling hardware tools etc 17 yrs ago there were some big American names that moved their manufacturing to Japan. Customers would be concerned about the quality but they didn't need to worry as they had a big name to protect and set high quality controls on the manufacturing and gauranteed their products against poor workmanship. There were not many problems with quality.

So the problems with the GN bikes is not doing Suzuki any favours at all to their reptutation.