PDA

View Full Version : Two Left Feet ?

Whynot
30th November 2006, 07:42
I finished the practical section of my defensive driving course yesterday and it raised an interesting point. The instructor (biker) told me to keep my right foot on the brake when stopped at lights etc.

This is different from what i have heard from other sources, e.g.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30570

so what do you do and what in your opinion is the best way to stop ?

Matt
30th November 2006, 07:47
I was always told left foot (with right foot on the brake) when learning to ride - although the Wellington wind makes you put your right one down pretty fast sometimes!!!

Matt

Trudes
30th November 2006, 07:47
Confusing aye!
I tend to put both feet down to have more stability, especially in the wind, heavy bike, short legs and one big toe on the ground just doesn't cut it. I find it also has the bike in a more level position when taking off. If I'm on a slope though I keep my foot on the brake.
I think it's just whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

Hitcher
30th November 2006, 07:49
I have a strange feeling of deja vu about this poll...

Whynot
30th November 2006, 07:53
I have a strange feeling of deja vu about this poll...

:gob: its not possible ......
i did a search ...

Crisis management
30th November 2006, 07:57
Depends on the weather (windy or calm) and road conditions (steep camber, slope etc).
Typically I will do the final part of coming to a stop in neutral using the front brake, right foot goes down (anti gravity device) and left foot stays on the peg ready for gear engagement.
I never rely on the foot brake for stopping and want both feet available for stability.
If I am stopped for a while or conditions require I will put both feet down or use the right on the foot brake.
Taking off, I use the front brake to hold the bike as I release the clutch (unless its a huge slope) as I have my left foot ready for gear changes.

The right foot on the brake seems like good advice but as a new rider I suspect slow speed stability is marginal (wobbly bastards usually) and having both feet available may feel a lot more reassuring.

Try everything out (except resting under the bike) and see what works for you!

Hitcher
30th November 2006, 08:59
its not possible ......
i did a search ...
I guess the efficacy of that depended on what you searched for.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=3557&highlight=which+foot

It will be interesting to see whether the results differ.

Whynot
30th November 2006, 09:02
I guess the efficacy of that depended on what you searched for.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=3557&highlight=which+foot

It will be interesting to see whether the results differ.

My options are better though ..... :p

Ixion
30th November 2006, 09:17
Depends on what side the brake pedal is on!

Either foot , depending on road camber, how long I think I'll be stopped (ie am I in neutral or not) etc.

I think that if you are going to have to put the bike into gear a hippity hop from left foot down to right foot down is not a good idea.

But, you don't really want to be stopped facing up a steep hill with a 2LS front brake and rely on the front brake to hold you! Backwards, 2LS becomes 2TS!

Like most of such things, all very theoretical. In reality, do what works for you in each situation.

slinky
30th November 2006, 09:23
screwed the vote up, meant to say right foot down.
think i just follow on front what my dad does.
then you can sit in nuetral, and click it into gear when ready without changing feet.
if its windy, then both feet.i think when i start i was a left foot down though (but no foot on brake lol
right foot down - hand on front brake

Macktheknife
30th November 2006, 09:38
I was taught to use the left foot down technique unless on a camber that demands the right foot, or a situation that needs both.

The Stranger
30th November 2006, 09:40
So many stops are on an incline or decline and I use the right foot on the rear brake, basically the only time I use the rear brake. So it is left foot down the majority of the time.

Occasionally I use right or both, like if I need to itch my nuts or something.

I guess if you are a short arse you would need to use your right, particularly if camber is bad, however, thankfully I don't suffer from that infliction.

Mr. Peanut
30th November 2006, 09:41
I want to be ready to click it into gear, so right foot down.

Motu
30th November 2006, 10:15
I leant to ride with a left foot brake - this is natural for driving on the left.Your right foot is on the high side of the camber,on a BMW or Guzzi your right leg can brace the torque reaction of the engine....and for a rear wheel lock up brake slide the rear of the bike steps out down the camber,so the right leg is there for balancing duties.

Then the Yanks decided all bikes must have the rear brake on the right.....our freedom of choice was taken away and now everyone has a right foot brake.It's un natural and so we have to have discussions about which foot do you put down.

I have been trained to put my right foot down,I have also been trained to be stationary and take off with my foot on the brake - I don't know what to do,so take each situation as it comes.Normaly right foot down,being a short arse on tall bikes it's what I have to do.

Indiana_Jones
30th November 2006, 11:26
I use my left foot, and keep my right foot on the brake if needed. Like it's been said, I use both feet in the wind etc.

-Indy

Bend-it
30th November 2006, 13:23
I live in Wellington, both feet most of the time...

Disco Dan
30th November 2006, 15:54
both feet go down. if a uphill start then when lights going to change, right foot onto brake. Down hill, and both feet on ground, and roll start.

Ixion
30th November 2006, 16:33
Harrumph. All very well for elongated types.

NordieBoy
30th November 2006, 18:14
Right, left or both.
Depends on the situation.

Ixion
30th November 2006, 18:20
Surprisingly, noone has yet mentioned ski poles. Invaluable for us short arses.

I do quite a bit of night riding, so find that foot on the rear brake gives that extra bit of visability to cars approaching from the rear.

jumma
30th November 2006, 19:12
Depends for me on the intersection.

If it's one I know when i'm gonna get a green, i'll put my right foot down and select neutral to give my left hand a break. Can then select 1st with right foot on peg when I know the lights gonna change.

If it's a foreign intersection (or I know green for me is coming soon) I'll leave 1st selected and have my right foot on the brake with left foot down.

And, as people have mentioned, if it's fuckin windy I'll have both down.

XP@
1st December 2006, 09:23
I try to get my left foot down, but sometimes it is the right. But never both, they just don't reach.

Squeak the Rat
1st December 2006, 09:46
Stop left foot down, right on brake, clutch in, first gear. Check mirrors for car about to rear end. If stationary car behind and long wait, change feet and hit neutral keeping right foot down.

The advice for both feet is for your licence exam to ensure the instructor see's you stop fully at stop-signs.

Next poll: Which leg do you use to get your leg over?

Mr. Peanut
1st December 2006, 09:48
Surprisingly, noone has yet mentioned ski poles. Invaluable for us short arses.

How about a 40kg flywheel?

Squeak the Rat
1st December 2006, 10:03
Use the tip of the jousting stick on the ground to balance the bike.

Morcs
1st December 2006, 10:33
I was taught to have left leg down as its kerbside.

Ive nearly been blown over at lights, so on windy days use 2 feet.

Daffyd
7th December 2006, 21:40
Neither. I rely on my trainer wheels!

Seriously though, it depends on the circumstances.