PDA

View Full Version : ZX7R tyre help

-df-
30th November 2006, 11:46
Hey,

Going to have to get some tyres soon for the 7R and wondering what people with (or had) 7R's recommend to use? The shop I go to tells me to only run diablo tyres...but then they could be biased as they are one of the more expensive ones.

Also, I've currently got 180's on the rear, but factory is 190...should I go back to the 190?

Lazy7
30th November 2006, 19:19
the width of the tyre is really dependant on the choice of tyre.

for example the 190 218 dunlop is a horrible shape, better @ 180, where as the 208 dunlop 190 is great and the 180 is a waste..

best bet is to go to Cycle Treads

ask them what they think.

tell them how much riding you do.
tell them what kind of riding you do.

You will also get a pretty good price if you buy a set rather than one at a time.

I've run diablos on the 4r, absolutely crap tyres... I prefer pilots personally... depends on your situation, but I find that a pilot road for the rear, and pilot sport for the front works well

zx7rr
1st December 2006, 19:33
Ive got michillen pilot sports on my ZX7RR,look great and have more than enough grip for the road,stick with the 190 ,looks great!

Gremlin
2nd December 2006, 01:38
As lazy7 rightly points out, there are 2 major factors first off, profile of each brand, and how you ride.

I had 190 battlax 014 set first, horribly flat, and too soft - lasted around 5k (do a lot of commuting). Then a set of 190 z6, not bad, killed them prematurely, just short of the 10k mark. Currently have a set of 180 z6, at Cycletreads' recommendation.

Honestly, I find the 180 is not much diff to the 190, and the 190 looks better on the rear, and has the same lean pretty much, but with a bigger contact patch (useful ;)). The 180 brand new is quite triangular, making the bike very responsive, but obviously that flattens off quick.

If you ride both country and commute (like I do) I would say 190 z6 is a good choice (both wet and dry) or there is another brand, bit cheaper, that is almost exactly the same as the z6 (right down to very similar tread patterns), but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

BarBender
2nd December 2006, 08:19
Stradas.
Was a little iffy about them at first.
Turned out to be the best all-round rubber I have ever used.
Not cheap though

simonnn
3rd December 2006, 23:31
Run a 180 rear and the bike will turn better.
Pilot Powers stick well and last.
Cycletreads are the best for price and service and they look after you on accessory deals from then on.