PDA

View Full Version : Hey Lynda...

Oscar
16th July 2004, 11:57
...the Pukemanu ride is finally in KR - this months issue, out today, I think.

Whoever was to do the write up didn't go, or summat like that, so I did a short write up to go with me pics....(I think they'd rather I keep brief after what happened last time :brick: ).

It was a great ride - when the next'un?

LB
16th July 2004, 16:53
Thanks Oscar - I'll have to whip out and get a copy. I'd wondered why it wasn't in there, I thought they may have had too much other copy and then decided it was too late.

We haven't decided when the next one will be, but we'll work in with 4skins so we don't have it too close to the CCA.

Watch this space!!

Oscar
16th July 2004, 18:54
Thanks Oscar - I'll have to whip out and get a copy. I'd wondered why it wasn't in there, I thought they may have had too much other copy and then decided it was too late.

We haven't decided when the next one will be, but we'll work in with 4skins so we don't have it too close to the CCA.

Watch this space!!
Yeah, they waited for the other one to turn up, and then asked me fer summat...

...s whe are we gonna see you on an adventure ride?

merv
17th July 2004, 21:20
OK got the mag in the mail today and have read the article. Good but where were you in the 90's Oscar, or for that matter in the Marquee in March?

You say in the article that the first Pukemanu was in 1994. Don't you remember the display of T-shirts in the Marquee from the 1991, 1992 and 1994 rides?

After 1994 the Martinborough team took a break but they did a great job organising the first three rides. I missed the 1991 ride myself but read about it afterwards in Kiwi Rider and that made me make sure I went to the 1992 and 1994 rides.

I've attached a pic from 1992 with Mike Dobson's Ural in it and a pic at the gas stop at Riversdale in 1994.

Oscar
19th July 2004, 08:24
OK got the mag in the mail today and have read the article. Good but where were you in the 90's Oscar, or for that matter in the Marquee in March?

You say in the article that the first Pukemanu was in 1994. Don't you remember the display of T-shirts in the Marquee from the 1991, 1992 and 1994 rides?

After 1994 the Martinborough team took a break but they did a great job organising the first three rides. I missed the 1991 ride myself but read about it afterwards in Kiwi Rider and that made me make sure I went to the 1992 and 1994 rides.

I've attached a pic from 1992 with Mike Dobson's Ural in it and a pic at the gas stop at Riversdale in 1994.

Missprint. Feckin' Editor. Suit at the cleaners. Dog ate my homework.
Yeah I knew that - 1991...argh...

Anyways, the whole point I was making was that in the early 1990's adventure riding was considered a bit sissy in the ranks of enduro riders...

merv
19th July 2004, 11:04
Missprint. Feckin' Editor. Suit at the cleaners. Dog ate my homework.
Yeah I knew that - 1991...argh...

Anyways, the whole point I was making was that in the early 1990's adventure riding was considered a bit sissy in the ranks of enduro riders...

I retired from enduros end of 1984 so had already degenerated to the sissy ranks by the time Adventure Rides came along. I hadn't taken a lot of notice of them but read about the KR500 when it started and then after reading about the '91 Pukemanu it was my brother really that said why don't we do the next one and I said sure and that was me hooked. What I haven't done is travel a long way for the rides so I have only done the Lower NI rides - Pukemanu and other Wairarapa ones, Horowhenua, and Capital Coast.

As for editors, did you see a letter in KR attributed to a Merv last month about KTM gearing? Well I think that was them taking licence from a discussion I had with Todd Sutherland back in January when I dropped into their HQ in Massey. I was trying to make up my mind as to what dirt bike to buy next and had looked closely at the KTM450EXCR but in the end bought the WR250F because I couldn't see me struggling in tight terrain on the KTM with a 15:1 first gear. WR is 30:1. Well they must have written something on the back of a cigarette packet and low and behold this one paragraph wonder of a so called letter appears as if I had written it and I was concerned about top end gearing. It wouldn't have bothered me if the KTM was running the same 6th gear but at least had the bottom few spaced out a bit better. The problem is they run very close ratio boxes and they are roughly all the same no matter which model you buy whereas the enduro version should have a far greater spread. The big problem was the latest 450 is running a taller primary ratio than previous models and it is way taller than most Jap dirt bikes. No amount of sprocket changing would get it where I wanted it.

Oscar
19th July 2004, 11:17
I retired from enduros end of 1984 so had already degenerated to the sissy ranks by the time Adventure Rides came along. I hadn't taken a lot of notice of them but read about the KR500 when it started and then after reading about the '91 Pukemanu it was my brother really that said why don't we do the next one and I said sure and that was me hooked. What I haven't done is travel a long way for the rides so I have only done the Lower NI rides - Pukemanu and other Wairarapa ones, Horowhenua, and Capital Coast.

I actually helped with the first couple of KR500's - sat in my car in the back of beyond and ran a check (they had some timed sections back then IIRC).

Didja ever ride the Raglan Enduro?
4skins and I used to run that...

merv
19th July 2004, 11:27
I actually helped with the first couple of KR500's - sat in my car in the back of beyond and ran a check (they had some timed sections back then IIRC).

Didja ever ride the Raglan Enduro?
4skins and I used to run that...

With me living where I do I basically did all the Lower NI stuff and my Bro' lives in Napier so we went to each other's places mainly and as far North as I went was to Lismore Forest out of Wanganui and to Holts Forest, Gwavas and other places in HB. So never did Raglan. One of my favourites used to be Waiterere because me already being an unfit type even then I could do well where the terrain wasn't so rough and my speed wasn't compromised so much by my body.

LB
20th July 2004, 05:25
Wasn't able to find KR in the shops yesterday - will try today.