PDA

View Full Version : Bush punishes Korean leader… by taking away his Harley!

Bob
1st December 2006, 01:24
George Bush is trying a new tactic to get the attention of North Korea's dictator, Kim Jong Il… by stopping him owning a Harley!

The US government is trying out the new tactic of using trade sanctions – co-ordinated under the United Nations - to personally aggravate a foreign leader. To this end, they are applying sanctions on items believed to be favoured by Mr Kim, or given as gifts. Amongst the list of items like cognac, Rolex watches, cigarettes, artwork, expensive cars, Segway scooters and personal watercraft, such as jet skis, is Harley Davidson.

"It's a new concept; it's kind of creative," said William Reinsch, a former commerce department official who oversaw trade restrictions with North Korea during Bill Clinton's presidency. Previously trade sanctions of this kind would be related to goods associated with military stockpiling or weapons designs.

Lou Girardin
1st December 2006, 05:52
See, they could have done that with Saddam.
Taken away the toys that the West gave him; things like mustard gas, phosgene gas, delivery systems, military equipment, etc.

Wasp
1st December 2006, 07:27
I dunno, if somebody took my bike away from me i'd sure be pissed off enough to want it back.....wouldn't you?

Paul in NZ
1st December 2006, 08:25
Is taking a Harley away a punishment or a blessing? I'm never quite sure... (pt)

Motu
1st December 2006, 08:36
Maybe if they just left the cognac and the Harley,Mr Kim could get phat and solve this problem all by himself....with enough powerpoles in the vicinity I think we could reach a successful conclusion....

Mr. Peanut
1st December 2006, 08:45
I don't know, Finn's been around for a while now.

pritch
22nd December 2006, 20:02
See, they could have done that with Saddam.
Taken away the toys that the West gave him; things like mustard gas, phosgene gas, delivery systems, military equipment, etc.

Hell no Lou. Those things are about big business and big money, and they won't mess about with those,