PDA

View Full Version : getting down south

svs
16th July 2004, 16:35
I know there must be a few racers here that have done this before, so I need some ideas.

I'm looking into heading down south in december for the 2 NZ Champs rounds at ruapuna and teretonga with a few days holiday in the middle. So what works??

1) Drive down with trailer using ferries. (Would have room to take someone elses bike too)
2) Hire/Share a Van and drive down.
3) Ship bike and fly after it. Hire a car/van down there.

Anyone else from north of the cook straight planning on doing these rounds, and how you getting there?

Was going to ask a few folks at manfeild but I need to sort out leave from work as soon as possible.

Kickaha
16th July 2004, 20:11
1) Drive down with trailer using ferries. (Would have room to take someone elses bike too)
2) Hire/Share a Van and drive down.
3) Ship bike and fly after it. Hire a car/van down there.

Option one or two,find someone to share the cost and travel together,makes it cheaper for the pair of you,someone to share the driving etc

If you can find a van to use then do it,costs less on the ferry than car and trailer.

FROSTY
16th July 2004, 21:03
Dude Ive used various options. The cheapest way is to rent a truck and put several bikes in it. The only hassle was when some people wanted to go one way and others another.
I would very strongly suggest the van option.
A trailer very quickly becomes a pain in the ass -No dry space/no bike security.
When are ya heading down?
I could be keen to team up.

Kickaha
16th July 2004, 21:30
If you do come down I can offer the pair of you a place to stay,30min from the track,off street parking and a garage that sometimes its possible to work in.

FROSTY
16th July 2004, 21:49
kick--ill be keen on that dude,

digsaw
16th July 2004, 21:57
Yep done it many times,trailer as a pain,a van or small box body truck is the way ta go.Small horsetruck wiv accomadation is ideal :apint: :apint:

svs
17th July 2004, 17:26
When are ya heading down?
I could be keen to team up.

Don't know yet. Maybe just the thursday night/ friday before and then stay down till after the invercargill race. Got friends to catch up with chch, and family down by invercargill so hopefully accomodation may be OK.

Might have use of a camper van, just need to see if I can get the bike in the back. Will look out for a van though, may have more idea after manfield next weekend.

Will have to try and catch you with you and kickaha at some point.