PDA

View Full Version : App. courses Welly.

degrom
1st December 2006, 21:58
Hi all...

I am want to do a Approved course to shorten my restricted license and get my full license. Where in Wellington can I go for such a course?

Thanks. :Punk:

XP@
4th December 2006, 08:27
Try Andrew at Roadsafe http://www.roadsafe.co.nz/

MikeyG
4th December 2006, 12:33
There are not currently any bike courses you can do to shorten your license time.

You can do a defensive driving course (for a car) or a similar course called Street Talk (also for car drivers)

Check the following site for details
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/66.html#car

degrom
4th December 2006, 18:04
Thanks...

Not actually the the news I wanted to hear! But what can I say...

Thanks for that.

Steam
4th December 2006, 18:24
Where in Wellington can I go for such a course?

Here's a KB thread with bunches of information, Practical Defensive Riding Course Information for those on Restricted License (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30266)
but it's mostly Auckland related.

In Wellington there's A1 in Lyall Bay, they do a Defensive Driving course $149, and I've booked in for their course on January 24th. It takes 4 nights and you do a practical practise in their CAR, which is stupid.

The AA in Lower Hutt do one too, about the same price, and if you don't have your car license you can sit with the driver during the practical part, and talk about the hazards. Weirdness.
Hope that helps.
Roadsafe doesn't do a course which can reduce your time.

degrom
4th December 2006, 18:38
Here's a KB thread with bunches of information, Practical Defensive Riding Course Information for those on Restricted License (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30266)
but it's mostly Auckland related.

In Wellington there's A1 in Lyall Bay, they do a Defensive Driving course $149, and I've booked in for their course on January 24th. It takes 4 nights and you do a practical practise in their CAR, which is stupid.

The AA in Lower Hutt do one too, about the same price, and if you don't have your car license you can sit with the driver during the practical part, and talk about the hazards. Weirdness.
Hope that helps.
Roadsafe doesn't do a course which can reduce your time.

The question is...

Will the course shorten your bike restricted? I am over 25 and would like to get my full licence a.s.a.p.

I have a 750 in the garage and a 1000 on it's way and I am get frustrated!!! LOL

Are you doing the course to shorten your car licence?

Steam
4th December 2006, 19:47
Will the course shorten your bike restricted? I am over 25 and would like to get my full licence a.s.a.p.

Yes, it will take your time from 6 months to three.
"If you successfully complete an approved course, the length of time you must hold your restricted licence for will be reduced to 12 months for those aged under 25 years, and three months for those 25 or older."
The approved courses are Streettalk and a normal old Defensive Driving course.
Apparently they are both four nights and cost about the same amount.

Hey, that isn't your ancient 1983 GN on Trademe right now is it?

degrom
4th December 2006, 21:11
Yes, it will take your time from 6 months to three.
"If you successfully complete an approved course, the length of time you must hold your restricted licence for will be reduced to 12 months for those aged under 25 years, and three months for those 25 or older."
The approved courses are Streettalk and a normal old Defensive Driving course.
Apparently they are both four nights and cost about the same amount.

Hey, that isn't your ancient 1983 GN on Trademe right now is it?

No... I just reassembled my GN after yet another paint job. This time it was in for a simple flame design...

Thanks for the Link to the above thread... It cleared up a lot.
I better get my self booked for a course before my three months are over.

degrom
5th December 2006, 15:53
LOL... I booked my self for the defensive Driving Course at the Lower Hutt AA.

I have also cleared it up with them and they said that the Defensive driving course(4 nights of book reading) will shorten you bike restricted.

The people from RoadSafe can help with practical advanced bike riding course but it does not shorten your restricted.

My book is just 1,5 months short of my normal restricted period and I am really frustrated about paying $170 to save 1,5 months.

Other thing the defensive driving course is over two weeks, two 2hour lessons per week.