PDA

View Full Version : Police checking gloves?

Jonathan
1st December 2006, 23:13
Pulled to the side of the road today by an officer manning out of order lights in Kilbernie. The reason why I was pulled over? He wanted to lecture me on the importance of wearing gloves saying "only an idiot rides without gloves".

I was not wearing gloves as I was running late for a job and I could only find one glove (the other was later found by my girlfriend wedged under a chair), so decided to risk my hands in order to make it to work on time. Told the officer this and he said "why didn't you find something else then? What? Mittens? Kitchen gloves? I wish I did have my gloves, it was bloody cold.

Is it usual for an officer to pull you over for this reason? I would think that as long as you take care of the statutory stuff i.e. helmet, what you wear or not wear is none of their business. Or am I wrong?

silverado
1st December 2006, 23:20
"only an idiot rides without gloves".[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree. Leave your gloves on your bike. Won't have to look for them then.

iwilde
1st December 2006, 23:21
What hits the ground first when you're knocked off by some idiot driving blind? Normaly your hands, and when they are ground down a bit it takes a long and painful time to heal. But you're right, it's none of his business as you're following the law, he must have been pissed at something and saw you as an easy target to vent out at.

Jonathan
1st December 2006, 23:29
"only an idiot rides without gloves".

I'd have to agree. Leave your gloves on your bike. Won't have to look for them then.

I don't disagree. Just saying that if I want to be that idiot and risk my own hands in certain circumstances shouldn't that be my choice?

And leaving gloves on a KR150 under a tarp next to the pavement is a sure way losing some hard earned student dosh.

Ixion
1st December 2006, 23:30
Lost one glove away from home recently (why on earth is it ALWAYS the right glove I lose ?). Had to ride home with only one, felt very odd and vulnerable.

Hands are delicate, and one of the body bits most commonly injured in a bin, and nothing (almost nothing) hurts worse than a hand injury.

Always wear gloves. Having said that there is no legal requirment to do so, so the police cannot force you to, or ticket you for not doing so.

But, the cop probably realised (from the bike) that you were an relatively inexperienced rider (no offence, apologies if you are not), and just wanted to give a bit of helpful advice. Good for him, he's only trying to help. I suspect he may have been a biker, not many non bikers would notice.

Jonathan
1st December 2006, 23:34
Lost one glove away from home recently (why on earth is it ALWAYS the right glove I lose ?). Had to ride home with only one, felt very odd and vulnerable.

Hands are delicate, and one of the body bits most commonly injured in a bin, and nothing (almost nothing) hurts worse than a hand injury.

Always wear gloves. Having said that there is no legal requirment to do so, so the police cannot force you to, or ticket you for not doing so.

But, the cop probably realised (from the bike) that you were an relatively inexperienced rider (no offence, apologies if you are not), and just wanted to give a bit of helpful advice. Good for him, he's only trying to help. I suspect he may have been a biker, not many non bikers would notice.

True. He was indeed a biker.
I'm just bitter at being made further late for a job.

And yip, still not the most experienced rider...

silverado
1st December 2006, 23:34
Sorry dude. I sometimes forget that not everyone park their bike in the garage. Stick it in your helmet.

justsomeguy
1st December 2006, 23:53
If all cops were like that Cop we would love the police. Someone who knows him buy him a cold one.

Crashed TL, rather high speed, up near the 200kph mark going over backwards from a fucked up wheelie, i hit the deck hard and tumbled down the road for a fair distance. Holes in arse, both elbows, kness, stitching apart on chest, small area on back and thigh. They held up pretty well considering, and were repaired back to normal by Kerri at MSW for a mere $250, only i had put on a fair bit of weight and they didn't fit to well, next time i tried wearing them, doh.
The only real damage to me other than bruising, was that i broke bones in both my hands.
Really chances are i would've been dead if i wasn't wearing leathers, cordura/kevlar just dont cut it for me, i couldn't give a shit if it's lighter and more breathable, fuck it, it's your life at the end of the day.
Spool is good and i dont think you have to spend $3000 plus on the likes of Spyke, Dainese, Astars etc. if you got the money go for it.
On another note, spend some serious money on gloves, your hands are the most vunerable part on your body (as i found out), reckon one of the best value gloves around are the Teknic Violaters, around the $200 mark, i was wearing Astar GP plus when i crashed, they did well and i dont think asy glove could've prevented what happened to me, but the Astars are still $300+.

If all cops were like that Cop we would love the police.

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.

Jonathan
2nd December 2006, 01:04
The fact of the matter is that, notwithstanding the advice being good advice, to me he came across as being condescending and arrogant. I do understand the importance of wearing gloves. Of course I know that if I am to crash without hand protection I am stuffed. That is not what I am arguing.

I made a conscious decision to leave home without wearing gloves, just as I may make the conscious decision to smoke despite knowing it will harm me. I sometimes jaywalk, drink too much, run with scissors etc. Would you want anyone who sees you doing any little risky thing to take you aside and interrogate you and tell you how stupid you are? I also see in many threads people complaining about being caught speeding.

I agree with Ixion, however, that he took me for an inexperienced rider (as I am, been riding only two years so far) based on my wee bike and decided to give me some good advice. I just think he could have been a little more pleasant about it but maybe that is asking a little too much. I personally don’t feel any animosity towards the police force as I have had both pleasant and unpleasant experiences with cops and I understand the actions of an individual do not speak for the force as a whole.

If he had simply said something along the lines of "are you aware it is dangerous to ride without gloves" I would have ridden away happy that he cared rather than annoyed that some stranger believes it to be their right to lecture me.

Jonathan
2nd December 2006, 01:45
Heh, maybe I should change the title of this thread to be "Why aren't police more polite?". HOHOHO!

crack
2nd December 2006, 03:48
I learnt the hard way, had my gloves nicked on a Friday night in town from being stuffed into my helmet, hanging from my bike.( 1973).

Monday morning "QUOTE" my late Mother, Look its cold, middle of winter and the road is slippery, walk to the bus, leave your bike at home, and Dad will get you some more gloves when he is in town today.

16 and know everything, "NAGGING MUMS KNOW NOTHING", started my bike and left Mum shacking her head,went around a corner faster than I should have, lost the front and went down HARD, automatically put my hands out:

Result: F--- it hurt, hands in bandages for two weeks, weeks off work,you don't know what to do with them it hurts so bloody much, make your eyes water I tell you.

You can't even pick up your bike, you can't even pull the pebals out off your knee.

No shit mate it hurt.

Fat Tony
2nd December 2006, 04:20
Must have been about 20 years ago, my father-in-law (George) offered to go and collect a bike for my brother-in-law (Mick) who hadn't ridden a bike for years and didn't feel comfortable riding it back the 50 miles from where he was buying it. Having said that, George hadn't been on a bike for years either so why he volunteered I don't know.

Anyway, they get up to Lancaster, have a look over the bike and agree to buy it, hand over the cash and Mick passes George his helmet with his gloves stuffed in side it, then heads off to get in the car for his drive back home.

George puts the helmet on and follows Mick back. They get home and George jumps off the bike, dying to get the helmet off coz it's absolutely killing his head... dozy bugger hadn't looked inside the helmet and had somehow managed to squeez his head in there with the gloves in situ, lol

(RIP George - you're missed)

Trudes
2nd December 2006, 06:37
Maybe they should also pull over the twats riding about in shorts and t-shirts as well. In fact I saw a dude riding a trail bike up the road last week - attire: shirt, shorts, jandals. No helmet even, hell, what a mess if he came off, he can't know about the accident ratio within kilometers of your house thing.

Grahameeboy
2nd December 2006, 06:45
Guess the cops cannot win....we all have our different manners and I guess that like beauty, arrogance is in the eye of the beholder and when you do not know someone it is hard to get a fix on them and their mannerisms and mistakes are made.

Street Gerbil
2nd December 2006, 07:04
I hate to side with the cop but chances are hands are one of your biggest assets. Luckily I learned this lesson almost painlessly when I accidentally glued hands one to another with superglue.

Dafe
2nd December 2006, 07:08
Positive Policing! I take my hat off to that Officer. Well done chap!

I don't know why helmets are the only requirement? Should be minimum Helmet and Gloves.

Big Dave
2nd December 2006, 07:12
Positive Policing! I take my hat off to that Officer. Well done chap!

I don't know why helmets are the only requirement? Should be minimum Helmet and Gloves.

Trouble is - it wouldn't stop there - hi vis vests would follow and I ain't doin that.

The_Dover
2nd December 2006, 07:22
should have told him to get fucked. next time you do the same route do it in your helmet and speedos.

all in the name of positive biker-police relations mind you.

megageoff76
2nd December 2006, 07:23
Its amazing how many punters you see on brand new scooters without gloves, or women on them wearing slip on shoes/high heels...it makes me cringe every time.

I always feel like saying something to them, but hell, they wouldn't listen.

Oakie
2nd December 2006, 07:55

What he said.
Of course the cop having seen you riding without gloves could only assume that you never wore gloves. Couldn't possibly give you a ticket so his only motivation would have been your safety. Been there ... done that... and he was a motorcycle cop too.

Lord Derosso
2nd December 2006, 08:19
Maybe they should also pull over the twats riding about in shorts and t-shirts as well. In fact I saw a dude riding a trail bike up the road last week - attire: shirt, shorts, jandals. No helmet even, hell, what a mess if he came off, he can't know about the accident ratio within kilometers of your house thing.

I have seen a number of such riders around Wellington lately. I hate riding without gloves as everyone is right re what hits the ground first. I came off in some gravel years ago and it torn my gloves up and put holes in them but my fingers and hands were OK. I have noticed over many years on the road that its usually the biker cops whom will pull you over whilst riding. Perhaps they feel its their duty to check over the bikes and make sure the basics are there etc as there are owners out there whom ride unsafe bikes with no regard for their or their pillions safety. How many times have you seen pillions riding without footrests for an example? Its the old story. If you follow the law and also wear the gear then you shouldnt fear either the road or the law officers. That doesnt mean they should treat you as a child though.

Scouse
2nd December 2006, 09:01
This Cop was doing you a favour stop crying and get over it

RT527
2nd December 2006, 09:04
OK I can relate to this cop and how he feels , if you thought about all the times hes helped someone at an accident or whatever, then youd realise the pretty soon most of the Accidents can be alleviated, or should I say the results of accidents, by the use of the correct gear or item ie: seatbelts in cars, gloves on bikes etc etc.

And then think about all the times that hes tried to help someone with advice and because you dont want to hear it it comes across as arrogant or condescending.

When I say to someone that the really should put that seatbelt on that 3-5 yr old standing on the seat I get told usually what the F*$k has it got to do with you?......I just tell them that I usually am one of the ones who comes to the accident to wash their son/daughters brains down the drain.....most of the time they shrug and speed off.

So now I give up saying anything doesnt mean anything to them, most of them dont love their Children more than their Beer or smokes or drugs so why should I?...Because I care is why .

Only reason I`m a volunteer Firefighter is cause I do.

so if someone sounds arrogant or condascending to you, open your ears and mind and really listen to the message cause it might save your life or the pain your about to endure.

Drive safe and have a happy xmas and New year.

WINJA
2nd December 2006, 09:08
Shoulda Told Him You Lost In Whilst Fisting His Mums Arse

NighthawkNZ
2nd December 2006, 09:15
My gloves are always in my helmet so I never forget where I put them... if I could only rememebr where I put my helmet i'd be right :dodge: :innocent:

I rode with out gloves once.. and only once... I did not like it at all felt naked and well... unprotected... Not only that my hands got cold very quickly... (solved that by heated grips but thats not the point)

But leggally all you have to wear is a lid... you can wear shorts, t-shirt and jandals if you wanted as long as you have a lid... (you be an idiot) but there isn't much that the cop could do. He probably been to that many crashes that doing any thing to prevent worst than needed injuries if it ever did happen to you (touch wood)

I see this guy ride while I walk into work every morning wearing shorts... i just think stupid bugger... but not alot anyone can do unless there is a law change there.

:done:

yungatart
2nd December 2006, 09:23
Big ups to that copper! Some positive policing, for a change.
It is my understanding (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), that hands can't be skingrafted. Always wear your gloves peeps!

davereid
2nd December 2006, 09:34
The cop gave you good advice... but I would have been f'n wild if he had pulled me over to lecture me about it !

pervert
2nd December 2006, 10:00
At the end of the day it's a person's own choice if they want to wear shorts, a t-shirt or even no gloves when riding.

Most of them that do this know the risks involved as you are all outlining, yet choose to anyway...and no-one has the right to tell them they can't do that (unless they pass a law of course).

yungatart
2nd December 2006, 10:04
At the end of the day it's a person's own choice if they want to wear shorts, a t-shirt and no gloves when riding.....
and no-one has the right to tell them they can't do that (unless they pass a law of course).

Why don't I have the right to tell them they are being utter dorks?
After all, its my taxes and ACC levies, that pay for their care... and it will cost more for their care if they aren't wearing the proper gear!

Qkchk
2nd December 2006, 10:46
Dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet - BUT

Skin grafts don't take well to hands, with all those tendons etc....

pervert
2nd December 2006, 11:09
After all, its my taxes and ACC levies, that pay for their care... and it will cost more for their care if they aren't wearing the proper gear!

Chances are it's their own taxes and ACC levies as well...so that's hardly an arguement.

You've got about as much right to tell them they are being utter dorks as I've got to tell you that you're an utter dork for not wearing a helmet everytime you're in a car. It's not compulsory, but it's definately safer.

KLOWN
2nd December 2006, 11:13
The cop gave you good advice... but I would have been f'n wild if he had pulled me over to lecture me about it !

I quite agree, this whole thread is about whether the cop had a right to pull him over not an argument about whether you should wear gloves or not. It sucks that you were made late for work but at least he gave you an excuse for being late.

yungatart
2nd December 2006, 11:15
..... wearing a helmet everytime you're in a car. It's not compulsory, but it's definately safer.

Its hardly the same thing tho', is it?

Mr Skid
2nd December 2006, 11:22
What hits the ground first when you're knocked off by some idiot driving blind?Knees, from my experience.

pervert
2nd December 2006, 11:28
Its hardly the same thing tho', is it?

Why not? Head injuries are pretty damn common in car crashes...just like hand injuries are common in bike crashes, or is that incorrect information???????????

Motu
2nd December 2006, 11:36

You have all the right in our wonderfull country to tell them that - but you can't make them do what you say.....and that's why this is such a great place.You complain about our government on one hand and on the other ask for more rights to be taken away.Make up your mind!

davereid
2nd December 2006, 11:43
Riding without gloves increases your chances of having an injury.
So it should be made illegal.
Riding with out a helmet increases your chances of having an injury.
Riding a motorcycle increases your chances of having an injury.

Have fun in your Volvo !

MSTRS
2nd December 2006, 11:44
No-one's disputing someone's right to be a knob. But good advice is still good advice. There are plenty of people out there on bikes that have no idea of what can happen to their skin. Should we just let them find out first hand (pun intended)? Or should we (the cop in this case) give them that good advice. What they do with that advice is then their problem.
ACC should ONLY be available to those that take reasonable steps to protect themselves???
EDIT: - constructive peer pressure has got to be less intimidating....

The_Dover
2nd December 2006, 12:02
Knees, from my experience.

I'd have thought your knees were used to a bit of friction?

TygerTung
3rd December 2006, 23:46
Just stuff ya gloves in ya helmet, that way ya can't lose em, thats what I do.

Lou Girardin
4th December 2006, 05:49
So you found a rare cop who not only notices things like that, but tried to make you realise your stupidity.
I'd say you don't have grounds for complaint.

Insanity_rules
4th December 2006, 06:04
While I agree in principle with the cop, I can't help but think the cop probably talked to you in a way that upset you and that can kill the lesson. The police have got to realise that many a good lesson goes by the wayside when they talk down to us or treat us like twats!

Yeah I agree with putting your gloves in your helmet too, best place for em.

spudchucka
4th December 2006, 07:03
Its amazing the pathetic crap that some people will bitch about.

GR81
4th December 2006, 07:09
i always leave my gloves in my helmet... cant go riding without a helmet.
easier to find too :)

sunhuntin
4th December 2006, 11:25
he shouldnt have pulled you up for it and made you later for work. thats for sure. id be royally pissed off if i got stopped for wearing no gloves or similar.
in saying that, i want a cop like him stationed at the bike parks of every high school in this country...the number of girls i see on scooters wearing almost nothing more than a helmet is astounding! i always think, you may look good now, honey, but you wont when you come off!
ive come off, wearing no gloves and no jacket and it was only by pure luck that i came off 99% unhurt. i dont remember what hit the ground first.

as for where to keep gloves, i keep them in my helmet like the others, and also keep my sunglasses and often my keys in the same place. saves me hunting for stuff.

F5 Dave
4th December 2006, 11:42
I was once pulled over on my RG50; the reason was: "my full leathers on a small bike didn’t match". :mellow: ??
I felt victimised, picked on for no good reason. Even being responsible
The guy was a tit wasting my time when he would have been better spent catching real criminals.

. . .or pulling over fools without seatbelts or proper protective gear.

SO I side with the Cop, Good job, Good Policing isn’t always just giving out tickets for infringements. If I were a cop I'd do the same, even if I wasn't thanked. I made up some pamphlets I wanted to give out to bike cops (back in the 80s when there were a few) many who rode around in short sleeves. Never had opportunity or courage to. . .

Let’s get all American:
Am I my brothers keeper? Do I have the right to tell someone to wear a helmet? [Warble Waffle etc].

Bollocks! If you are stupid enough to ride without protection gear maybe you do need a rev up.

So why didn’t you wear the other glove? Style?

Bend-it
4th December 2006, 14:08
in saying that, i want a cop like him stationed at the bike parks of every high school in this country...the number of girls i see on scooters wearing almost nothing more than a helmet is astounding!

Which one?? I'll go tell them... :innocent:

Saw a guy on a flash new zx7 (I think) on cuba st on Saturday... shorts and tshirt... hmmm...

scumdog
4th December 2006, 14:30
While I agree in principle with the cop, I can't help but think the cop probably talked to you in a way that upset you and that can kill the lesson. The police have got to realise that many a good lesson goes by the wayside when they talk down to us or treat us like twats!

Yeah I agree with putting your gloves in your helmet too, best place for em.

True, maybe the cop COULD have been more tactful.

But I bet that message will NEVER be forgotten.

But will he act on it and always wear gloves though?

boomer
4th December 2006, 14:37
I got silver foil on ma heeed, never can be too careful.

If only the coppers would give you words of advice when speeding and other law breaking/money loosing activities.

Tui?

Spyked
4th December 2006, 20:27
Mate, the guy was trying to do you a favour.
Give a thought as to how many kids the guy has probably scraped off the roads, it's the right of each of as to whether or not we wear protective gear, but when it all goes pear shaped, some poor sod has has to clean up the mess.

0arbreaka
4th December 2006, 23:41
id say the cop had your safety at mind but probably came across as a prick when he talked to you, cops can be like that..

Viddy
4th December 2006, 23:46
Just after I told my folks that I'd bought a bike, my dear mother explained to me in detail as how as an ICU (Intensive Care Unit) nurse, she'd lost count of the times she had to scrub gravel and dust out of bikers muscle and sinew tissue because they hadn't worn proper protective gear.

She explained that they doped them up with a local anesthetic, then got a soft bristled scrubbing brush, impregnated with a betadine iodine solution, and scrubed the gravel out, with the same type of force that you'd use to scrub out a pot.

The reason that they do that is because any microscopic dust particles that are left in the wound cause massive amounts of infection, and the person will end up loosing the leg or arm to try to stop the infection.

Its utterly horrific, but so easily avoidable.

crack
5th December 2006, 03:55
It hurts like mad:

I left the details out, I could add the injections into the open wounds, (Plays more with the mind)

This is exactly what they did to me 30 odd years ago! I was horrified by the extent of the action, and the duration there of, as in the quote below.

QUOTE VIDDY:
She explained that they doped them up with a local anesthetic, then got a soft bristled scrubbing brush, impregnated with a betadine iodine solution, and scrubed the gravel out, with the same type of force that you'd use to scrub out a pot.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, but think for just a second, what would the fellow comrades this forum has just lost say?

If you want to act like a dip sh-t, then go ahead. The END.:done: :gob:

TCT
5th December 2006, 10:08
Hmmmmmmm........I just came back from Brisbane. Weather was scorching and glorious. I can say that a high percentage of the bikers on the road that I noticed were just wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts.....some sandals too. And they were not smallish bikes!! There is no way that they can wear leathers in those weather conditions.

Squeak the Rat
5th December 2006, 16:17
Bloody cops.....

kiwifruit
5th December 2006, 16:32
they always seem keen to check my gloves too....

onearmedbandit
5th December 2006, 16:45
lol kiwifruit, I hate that fucking feeling.

boomer
5th December 2006, 16:54

he wasn't a ginga was he :shit:

The_Dover
5th December 2006, 16:56

if I saw a deviant looking fellow riding a kawasaki with shit stained latex gloves on I'd be a bit worried and stop the fucker too.

megarich
5th December 2006, 17:54
Hi, couldnt help myself and had to reply.

Im a cop of 6 1/2 years. All of this has been on the front line. I have completed an advanced crash investigation course and believe me, when you go out for a ride or a drive on NZ roads the chances of having a crash are very high given the road, humans, vehicle and environmental factors that are against us.

I have to say good on the cop that gave the advise to wear the gloves.

I do know however that there are a few of officers that are a bit, (for lack of a better word) power crazy and like to lecture people. I think some of them missed the classes on people skills.

Unfortunately it is these officers that tarnish the brush we are all brushed with when we put on the blue suit.

I myself have stopped and spoken to people on occasians and simply given them some advise.

My philosophy is treat everyone how I would want to be treated cos who knows one day I might need help from one of them.

Remember the only time you will get a ticket is if you are breaking the law (and get caught)

Ride safe, no cop likes scraping someone off the road (or seeing a bent up bike)or informing family a loved one had died.

Ixion
5th December 2006, 18:21
Hi.
Welcome to the site. Hope you stick around. And get a bike.

There's quite a few of your collegues here already (must be a dozen by now).
Someone with crash investigation experience could give a lot of useful advice I would think.

There's occasionally some hard words about police policy, but don't take it personally, it's not meant for the individual copper (unless your real name is Broad)

megarich
5th December 2006, 18:29
Cheers Ixion,

Thats no way to talk about uncle Howard (lol)

Dont want to get off the thread subject but hopefully should have an RF900 in a couple of weeks. Just trying to find one in Invercargill to sit on and try cos I've heard they have high foot pegs and I'm 6'3".

Any ideas?

The_Dover
5th December 2006, 19:54
Cheers Ixion,

Thats no way to talk about uncle Howard (lol)

Dont want to get off the thread subject but hopefully should have an RF900 in a couple of weeks. Just trying to find one in Invercargill to sit on and try cos I've heard they have high foot pegs and I'm 6'3".

Any ideas?

or that ginger fucker up north that targets bikers and is one.

RF should be ok, I'm 6'3" and didn't find it uncomfortable. I just wished the speedo and brakes had worked.

Dadpole
5th December 2006, 20:04
I am only 6'0" and found the pegs too high.
So the Mrs is right - I am deformed. :crybaby:

Quartermile
5th December 2006, 21:57
No offence Megarich but apparently we need more prisons in NZ and yet cops are pissin around with this I mean I'm assuming that most riders of motorbikes realise that it will hurt if you come off and that gloves are important its something you know but don't want to accept like telling a boy-racer that a motorbike will kick their ass

roogazza
6th December 2006, 07:09
(sigh)
Policemen don't target people for not wearing gloves ! He was probably giving some friendly advice to someone who is lacking in common sense.
(or someone a few sandwichs short of a picnic !) G.

Titanium
6th December 2006, 07:23
Would you rush out without your helmet? jacket? boots? trousers?

Another case of lets all just smarten up!

I guess it is about arriving dead on time or a little late in 1 piece ......

I know what my preferance would be.

Ixion
6th December 2006, 07:34
Would you rush out without your ...trousers?

Shit. I THOUGHT my legs felt unusually cold on the way in this morning.

F5 Dave
6th December 2006, 09:23
[having hit the un-subscribe button some while back I re enter the Frey]

Roogaaza, that's probably the most sensible thing anyone has said yet. Notice the original chap has piped down? Long since gone.

Megarich, Gidday, welcome to the site. Do a search on the site & you will find a bit of RF info. F1 engineering do bar risers that are quite good (take the too steep bend out of them too). A tall friend made some plates to move the pegs down & back a bit. At 5'9 they are fine for me. Moved the pillion pegs though.

oh yeah, the short paragraphs make your post easy to read, wish more would apply that. But to be pedantic; you would advise someone, or you would give them advice. Possibly the smallest grammar error on this site for sure.

Swoop
6th December 2006, 11:34
I was once pulled over on my RG50; the reason was: "my full leathers on a small bike didn’t match".
:rofl: Were they really "fashion police"?...
Trinny and Susanna... The queer-eye "fab four"???

Did they think a sprotbike rider wanted to upgrade to an RG50?:scratch:

Hi, couldnt help myself and had to reply.
Welcome to KB mate!

... its something you know but don't want to accept like telling a boy-racer that a motorbike will kick their ass
:2thumbsup

F5 Dave
6th December 2006, 11:44
yeah he said his Police intuition told him something was wrong. Can't have been a very high watt bulb.

Hey that bike was kool! I rode it to the Kiwi six times with other crazies:scooter: despite owning 5 other bigger bikes.

Jonathan
7th December 2006, 23:44
Whoa, haven't been on the forums for a while and I am surprised to see how much debate this generated.

Seems a lot of people missed the point of my argument - I agree that protective gear is important! My parents who are both former bikers and who have had their share of bins (including serious ones) made sure I was very clear on this point well before I got my bike. I have full protective gear, which I always wear when riding.

This was the first time I had ridden my bike without gloves. The only other time I have ridden a motorcycle without wearing gloves was in Vietnam, where they would think you are a lunatic if you so much as mention a helmet let alone gloves.

I was not wearing gloves because I had weighed up certain things in my head. I could have stayed at home searching for my glove and not turned up to a one-off 3-hour job I was expected at or I could risk the road (travelling at 30ks max in rush hour traffic for 20 minutes on inner-city roads). I chose the latter and was prepared to accept the consequences.

I have since gotten over the incident. In fact I had gotten over it since Ixions first post made things clear. I do believe now the police officer was acting honourably; was not on power trip but simply lacked, or couldn't be bothered with, a little tact.

It is good to see that some of you do agree that being held up and lectured for a choice you made which puts nobody but you at risk and is completely within the law can be a bit annoying.

There seems to be a lot of people who seem to want more officers out there protecting us from ourselves. If you think people should be lectured about gloves how about people smoking? Would you want our officers out taking people aside and lecturing them on the dangers of smoking every time they see them? Sure while not wearing gloves can be painful and damaging lung cancer can be terminal.

As for those of you who will always wear gloves without fail, who never smoke, never walk across the street where there isn't a green man beaming at you, never go too near the edge of a cliff etc. I am glad you will have long safe lives.

eviltwin
17th January 2007, 22:32
i know where your right glove is...it's on the planet, next to the planet of the left socks!

Guitana
18th January 2007, 08:44
Pulled to the side of the road today by an officer manning out of order lights in Kilbernie. The reason why I was pulled over? He wanted to lecture me on the importance of wearing gloves saying "only an idiot rides without gloves".

Shit Bro I would'nt ride ten metres without safety gear on I see bone heads with shorts ,t shirts and jandals on riding big four strokes around and think theres a candidate for a skin graft if I ever saw one!!!
Be thankful that copper was concerned for your safety he probably rides as well!!
You dont appreciate what good gear does for you till youve been binned and gone for a forty metre skid on your arse!!! and got up and walked away without a scratch. Skins a delicate thing protect it let the gear take the punishment!!Yeah gloves in helmet good idea.

Take it easy

Enjoy the freefall while it lasts the next bits gonna hurt!!!

Guitana
18th January 2007, 08:47
if I saw a deviant looking fellow riding a kawasaki with shit stained latex gloves on I'd be a bit worried and stop the fucker too.
Fuckin "A" Dover that's how they caught Michael Jackson

Ivan
18th January 2007, 09:09
If you have a tinted visor DO NOT put gloves inside them I know from racing, Your tint film on the visor scratches away andf becomes SHIT

kro
18th January 2007, 09:16
I think the police occifer did a good thing, I know that it feels like they are "lecturing", or being condescending, but I liken it to a mate saying " your too drunk to drive, take a cab home", it's good advice, even if it gets your back up at the time.

NZ is full of friends who are softcocks, who won't tell a mate if they think he's doing something risky, they just laugh it off, and say nothing. The cop was being a friend imo. You know you don't normally ride without gloves, so this shouldn't be too much of an issue eh?.

On a slightly different note, the courier driver who just dropped a parcel at my door was an absolute HONEY!!!!, omg she is hot.

Guitana
18th January 2007, 09:21
Yeah should've invited her in for a coffee Bro!!!
Hindsights a bitch eh!

kro
18th January 2007, 09:36
Ain't that the truth

Ivan
18th January 2007, 10:01
sounds good to me:yes:

bungbung
18th January 2007, 10:05
If you have a tinted visor DO NOT put gloves inside them I know from racing, Your tint film on the visor scratches away andf becomes SHIT

I don't know what kind of tint you have Ivan, but most tinted visors are solid tinted.

Putting gloves inside your helmet will slowly transfer bugs and stuff to your helmet lining though.

Ivan
18th January 2007, 10:22
yip they are solid tint but its only onthe surface not through the whole thing all my tinted visors are the same you put gloves inabnd they scratch them and become transperent

Hotchefnz
18th January 2007, 10:45
Great to see - never mind being pulled over for a safety concern, its usually only the speed thing -

beyond
18th January 2007, 15:49
I've mentioned elsewhere that for every second you slide down one of our lovely super smooth roads, you lose 5mm of flesh and muscle.

No gloves? Interesting that your fingers and hands are one part of the body that hasn't got very much more than 5mm of flesh and skin anywhere. so what's left to grind away? Ummm...... bones, tendons, blood vessels etc.

Next time you go to the bog to do numbers two's, try wiping your arse without using any hands and then think twice about going out without gloves on again.

The cop did you a real big favour and if I'm too graphic, sometimes shock treatment helps.

Wear your gloves please!!!!!!

Hammer
19th January 2007, 20:10

I was not wearing gloves as I was running late for a job and I could only find one glove (the other was later found by my girlfriend wedged under a chair), so decided to risk my hands in order to make it to work on time. Told the officer this and he said "why didn't you find something else then? What? Mittens? Kitchen gloves? I wish I did have my gloves, it was bloody cold.

Is it usual for an officer to pull you over for this reason? I would think that as long as you take care of the statutory stuff i.e. helmet, what you wear or not wear is none of their business. Or am I wrong?

Your brave. You only get one set of hands. I would say the cop was doing his civic duty and trying to give a steer in the right direction.

Lou Girardin
19th January 2007, 20:13
Slightly off subject, does anyone know of anyone who rides and has one (left) arm. We have a customer at work who has the use of his right arm only. He's sick of accumulating unused left hand gloves.
I'm NOT kidding.

PuppetMaster
20th January 2007, 06:37
Slightly off subject, does anyone know of anyone who rides and has one (left) arm. We have a customer at work who has the use of his right arm only. He's sick of accumulating unused left hand gloves.I'm NOT kidding.

I have 3 arms, but sorry, 2 of em are right handed.....

scumdog
20th January 2007, 08:12
Slightly off subject, does anyone know of anyone who rides and has one (left) arm. We have a customer at work who has the use of his right arm only. He's sick of accumulating unused left hand gloves.
I'm NOT kidding.

OneArmedBandit must have and idea what to do with excess left-hand gloves - he rides using just his right hand too.:yes:

Grahameeboy
20th January 2007, 08:15
OneArmedBandit must have and idea what to do with excess left-hand gloves - he rides using just his right hand too.:yes:

Aha...always wanted to know which arm he had.......kinda helps me understand how he does it..........

Toaster
20th January 2007, 08:43

Maybe he wanted to find out what it is like to be the cheese on a cheese-greater? I admit I sometimes wear jeans instead of cordura pants on the cruiser, but wearing no safety gear at all is downright crazy.

cuppa
20th January 2007, 19:48
If you decide to ride without gloves you deserve all you get from the plods.

RT527
27th January 2007, 18:04
over the last week on my travels around auckland I`ve seen lots of riders with tshirts,helmets and shorts with sneakers.

or helmet jeans no gloves and sneakersi am amazed at the amount of riders out there with no brains!!!.
Yeah I know , its there life let them ...

terbang
27th January 2007, 18:51
"look Ma, no gloves".
Kaaarunch.
"Look Ma no hands".

McDuck
27th January 2007, 18:55
there is about a 16 year old girl around town who rides her mifty 50 wearing a miniskirt? i mean it is ok on the eyes but how thick?

hobdar
28th January 2007, 10:39
OK I can relate to this cop and how he feels , if you thought about all the times hes helped someone at an accident or whatever, then youd realise the pretty soon most of the Accidents can be alleviated, or should I say the results of accidents, by the use of the correct gear or item ie: seatbelts in cars, gloves on bikes etc etc.

And then think about all the times that hes tried to help someone with advice and because you dont want to hear it it comes across as arrogant or condescending.

When I say to someone that the really should put that seatbelt on that 3-5 yr old standing on the seat I get told usually what the F*$k has it got to do with you?......I just tell them that I usually am one of the ones who comes to the accident to wash their son/daughters brains down the drain.....most of the time they shrug and speed off.

So now I give up saying anything doesnt mean anything to them, most of them dont love their Children more than their Beer or smokes or drugs so why should I?...Because I care is why .

Only reason I`m a volunteer Firefighter is cause I do.

so if someone sounds arrogant or condascending to you, open your ears and mind and really listen to the message cause it might save your life or the pain your about to endure.

Drive safe and have a happy xmas and New year.

Well said RT........Wear your gear, keep track of it, look after it and it will look after you, the cop was doing the whole road safety thing, if i was around and stopped at lights, i would have told you the same thing, as i do to idiots wearing shorts and t-shirts all the time.....

pervert
28th January 2007, 10:42
i would have told you the same thing, as i do to idiots wearing shorts and t-shirts all the time.....

Do you get told to mind your own fucking business and/or assaulted for that often? :laugh:

hobdar
28th January 2007, 11:00
most of the short and tshirt brigade i talk to are too shocked that anyone who cares has taken the time to say anything ............but hey if one listens to some good advice and starts to wear gear then its worth the few times i get abused...:gob: and i try to be nice about it...its when i start abusing cagers at the lights for cutting me off without indicating you have to watch out

RT527
28th January 2007, 11:02
most of the short and tshirt brigade i talk to are too shocked that anyone who cares has taken the time to say anything ............but hey if one listens to some good advice and starts to wear gear then its worth the few times i get abused...:gob: and i try to be nice about it...its when i start abusing cagers at the lights for cutting me off without indicating you have to watch out

Ive seen hobdar...hes not one you would mess with.....nice guy that he is( you still cheat lol)