PDA

View Full Version : Check to see if there is to much for the battery or charger

Cobalt
3rd December 2006, 13:15
Hi folks I have finally got my GN using a 55/60 Bulb and I was hopping some would be able to tell me how to check if Its to much of a load for the bike how would I check to see if the battery is charging and that I’m not taking more out of the battery than I am putting back in ? Would hate to have the bike die on me in the middle of no where I know your going to say its easy to check but I have no idea how to do it I do have a test meter but don’t know how to check

Thanks for any help

davereid
3rd December 2006, 14:25
Hi,
I dont think you have to worry much. I guess the original bulb is 35/40 watt so you are only 20 watts (or less than 2 amps) extra load. This shouldn't be much of an issue, unless you only do short trips. In this case you may notice your battery is not charging particularly quickly, but I would be surprised if it caused a problem. Put your meter onto the DC VOLTS setting at a 20V or higher range. If the terminal voltage of the battery is higher than about 13.8 volts at 2000-2500 rpm, your battery is charging OK.

Have you put a halogen bulb in ? Is it much better at night ? Lots of people say the GN has poor headlights, I'd be interested to see if this helps.

At some stage, check the wiring behind the headlight, just to check the plastic fitting isn't getting too hot. I wouldn't expect a 20 watt increase to cause any trouble, but its easy enough to check.

Cobalt
4th December 2006, 07:02
thanks davereid and yes put a H4 55/60 watt halogen bulb in one of them 50% more light kind and yes its way better than the 35/35 watt old type bulb