PDA

View Full Version : South Island Loop Dec 4-15

The Big J
3rd December 2006, 20:28
Hi there

Feel a bit awkward posting my trip with so much bad news here today. However may not be able to get to the computer tomorrow so here goes. I am doing a loop farewelling family. If anyone is near these parts and wants to have a coffee/beer/come for a ride company is welcome.
I ride a VTZ250, pace about 110-120, I don't mind having a blat but too expensive these days. And I'll have a load.

Dec 1 Quit job (check)
Dec 4 Picton ferry at 1pm, ride to Motueka
Dec 5 Mot-West Coast Probably camping somewhere, maybe Punakaiki way (suggestions welcome).
Dec 6 West Coast-Arrowtown
Dec 7 Arrowtown-Milford Sound-Winton Southland staying w/ family
Dec 8 Break day. See uncles, no real plan.
Dec 9 Ride to Otematatatatatata
Dec 10 KB ride, maybe to Dunedin
Dec 11 Sleep in
Dec 12-15 Make way from Dunedin via Christchurch for a night to Picton. Again open to any suggestions, maybe go through Hanmer?

Sound good?
I will be in sporadic internet contact so may be easiest to call if you feel like catching up. Cell phone 0275453515.

Josh

ajturbo
4th December 2006, 06:03
go and have fun!!!
:scooter: :Punk:

Jantar
4th December 2006, 09:15
See you in Oh-my-tomato. :scooter:

NighthawkNZ
6th December 2006, 06:01
let me know if you do make it to dunedin... come for a coffee... and maybe a blate... :o)

The Big J
7th December 2006, 13:25
Yesterday magic day. Motueka to Franz Josef. Sun all the way, fast roads. Took the coastal route around Westport.
Today much harder. Ran out of petrol (my stupidity). Started rainiung right through Haast. Now in Wanaka warming up.
Will push through to Winton Southland tonight and slowly come back to Arrowtown tomorrow. Milford is flagged due to weather.
See some KBers Saturday
Josh

jeremysprite
7th December 2006, 14:14
Wanna meet up on Friday, after 1, go for a ride? I'm keen to hang go riding with some kbers, finish my last exam (woohoo) at 12:30 so I'll be hankering for a celebration ride. I'm in Queenstown, I could meet you Kingston/Arrowtown, whatever?

Alice
7th December 2006, 14:20
Have a good trip, beautiful country down there.Ride safe.A bonus of the South Island is the lack of traffic.

The Big J
8th December 2006, 10:09
Jeremy
See you in Kingston. Dreary drizzle in Southland. Hope it doesn't reach Central. Keen to do Crown Range again, I was too tired to really enjoy it. pm'd phone number

and alice, yes notably less traffic, couple of dodgy potholes etc. though. One part in Haast rain had carved little Ss in road which gave a little wobble. Also, have to be careful in pass as chipseal is worn and in rain (which is always) very slippery. Had one front tire wobble I didn't want to repeat. nothing serious.
Josh

jeremysprite
9th December 2006, 09:16
!El tiempo fue fabuloso! Nice meeting up with you Josh, sorry about the weather though! Good luck with the trip onto Otematata

The Big J
11th December 2006, 11:43
Cheers JS, shame about the Central Otago drizzle, Crown Range would've been good.

In Dunedin now being a slob with an aunt's house. Time to go for a walk, stretch those legs

gijoe1313
11th December 2006, 14:14
Sounds like you having a grand time! I hope to be making that trip down there sometime soon myself!

NighthawkNZ
11th December 2006, 17:47
Hey Josh,
Nice to meet yah... had a good blat... twas fun... glad the weather sayed nice 3 mile hill is pretty kewl fun (pitty its only 3 miles...) Enjoy the rest of your trip... and hope the weather stay nice for yah... keep rubber side down.

P.S I'll send that Panorama Photo to your email ;-)

Regards
Dale

jeremysprite
11th December 2006, 20:11
Yup, how was the rally? Me and Chris (flatmate) went over the Range on Sunday, BEAUTIFUL, smashing day. You'll definitley have to do it next time you're down.

The Big J
13th December 2006, 09:12
Now in Christchurch.
Decided to do a little detour so got out the 'touring atlas' and retraced the route we came down.
Dunedin - three mile hill - around Mosgiel up road towards Middlemarch. Before Ranfurly there's a turn-off to gravel marked Danseys Pass which spits you out before Oamaru. Was a bit slow leaving Dunedin but figured hey, I gotta try it.
Sports bike on gravel held up pretty well actually. Bit of livestock on the road was interesting and came pretty close to a truck sandwich around a blind corner but was well worth the look.
Only problem is bloody hayfever. It was SO windy yesterday and then to top it all off near Middlemarch I ride past a field where they are actually CUTTING hay. Fucking cloud of dust wasn't good.

NighthawkNZ
13th December 2006, 16:44
Sneezing inside your helmet..... hmmm :sick:

SDU
14th December 2006, 13:55
Now in Christchurch.

If you are still in Chch A few kber's are of to the movies tonight (thurs 14th) to see the Last Hurrah at the Academy theatre -Arts centre. It starts at 7:30pm afterwards they are going to the Dux De Lux for drinks if you are interested.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=40106

The Big J
14th December 2006, 18:56
sorry, in Nelson now!

The Big J
15th December 2006, 23:24
home now. Thanks to everyone I met, have had a ball. Will upload photos and do report tomorrow.

NighthawkNZ
16th December 2006, 00:35
Glad you made it back all ok and you had a good time... :scooter: