PDA

View Full Version : My first proper crash

Static
3rd December 2006, 21:50
so yea i dont really know how but i managed to lock up my rear tyre without using the brake round a corner and crash into a concrete fence pole at about 90kms. its screwed my front fairing and completly destroyed all the gauges and electronics and i think it may have bent the front forks. what are ball park figures if anyone knows of the repairs for this kind of damage

Quartermile
3rd December 2006, 21:53
Sounds bad had similar incident myself but managed to get out of harms way :dodge:
fairing wise you might want to see if you can just pick up a second set good luck with the repairs

madmal64
3rd December 2006, 21:54
Forks & Fairings..... hit concrete @ 90k's...insurance will probably write it off. You are insured??

Static
3rd December 2006, 21:57
unfortunatly not for me i only have 3rd party fire nd theft

Twig
3rd December 2006, 22:00
What about these RC211V lookalike ones on TM? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Frames-bodywork/auction-79416277.htm Bling, Bling!!!

Mr. Peanut
3rd December 2006, 22:03
Yeah, that's me selling those. I can get you a discount.

Static
3rd December 2006, 22:10
it looks tlike its the wrong shape but its not the fairings im most concerned bout im more concerned about the forks and all the electronics

Mr. Peanut
3rd December 2006, 22:27
Oh didn't realise you had the 19. Depending on damage, $500-$1500. Most of the cost is going to be cosmetics (paint, fairings).

Try www.econohonda.co.nz Really good for honda parts, got a lot of my NSR stuff from him.

gijoe1313
3rd December 2006, 22:37
Glad to hear you are okay! :shit: Sounds nasty and hope you can figger out how it happened ... and hope you get your bike into working order and back on the road!

rookie
4th December 2006, 06:17
hope you can figger out how it happened ... and hope you get your bike into working order and back on the road!

Yea what he said...try to figure out what went wrong so you can learn from it.
Did you change down a gear while cornering??

Cobalt
4th December 2006, 07:22
unfortunatly not for me i only have 3rd party fire and theft
who would nick a burning bike ?

Drum
4th December 2006, 07:22
Hi Static. Glad to hear you survived your crash.

Make sure you treat this event with the seriousness that it deserves.
Find out what happened, and make sure it never happens again.

You versus a concrete pole at 90k's?? You are lucky to be alive.

After the weekend just gone, we all need to be riding as safely as possible.

Ixion
4th December 2006, 07:23
who would nick a burning bike ?

A third party ?

lukelin250
4th December 2006, 16:05
check out yahoo japanese auctions on the net ,they have shitloads of gear for cbr's dirt cheap, so cheap im not so worried anymore about sourcing expensive bike bits for my bike. good luck with repairs

Mom
4th December 2006, 16:15
so yea i dont really know how but i managed to lock up my rear tyre without using the brake round a corner and crash into a concrete fence pole at about 90kms. its screwed my front fairing and completly destroyed all the gauges and electronics and i think it may have bent the front forks. what are ball park figures if anyone knows of the repairs for this kind of damage

There is the outside chance that you managed to compression lock the rear wheel changing down........that has caught me out a couple of times in the past.......take care out there eh?...........and good luck finding the spares you need at an affordable price, congratulations BTW for at least having third party cover!

xwhatsit
4th December 2006, 19:50
A third party ?

LMFAO.

Forks you can sometimes straighten. They probably wont be as strong as they were before, so for a road bike strictly speaking you should get a new set (at least that's what I heard). It's easy enough to straighten them using a hydraulic press (most engineering shops will have them, maybe panelbeaters as well?) and a straight rule. The trick is to make sure you have found the high point (try rolling the bar) and be careful not to over-bend it.

Static
5th December 2006, 16:13
yea so i took it to botany honda today they reacon they can straiten the forks as they aint too bad but it depends if they can sourch 2nd hand parts or not as to wether its worth fixing if they can it may only cost me $1500ish

Meekey_Mouse
5th December 2006, 16:14
Hey Static, sorry but I don't have any idea about all the fixing stuff. Glad to hear you are OK though :)

Jas

gijoe1313
6th December 2006, 17:19
yea so i took it to botany honda today they reacon they can straiten the forks as they aint too bad but it depends if they can sourch 2nd hand parts or not as to wether its worth fixing if they can it may only cost me $1500ish

dizzam, and I thought 4L of motul and an oil filter for $70 was expensive! I shall bite my tongue :sick:

xwhatsit
6th December 2006, 19:55
$1500! Jaysus. Pull the forks off and take them to an engineering shop... they'd do it for far cheaper than that. Other than that, what else is broken? Your gauges? Just find some second hand ones from a wrecker (ought to be loads of CBR wrecks around, crazy learners on a sportsbike) and it's just a matter of plugging the cables into each other.

Man... I bent my forks in a bin three days after I got my bike, and broke the instrument panel (GiJoe helped me glue them back up :D), and my bike wasn't much more than $1500. If I'd had to pay $1500 to fix it up, I would've sold it for parts and bought a Chinese scooter.

Static
6th December 2006, 22:20
haha i wish nope the front fairing is totaled the headlights all the gauges and gauge mounts the wireing loom lots of little brackets all the buttons and knobs on the handle bars (indicators headlight switch ect) and the brackets that hold the side fairings oh and the rear right indicator lol. i would do it myself if it was just the gauges but i aint touching electronics that i know nothing about. at this point i would be increadibly stoked if it only costs 1500

xwhatsit
6th December 2006, 23:23
Oh ok, sure. In that case... $1500 sounds OK. I still think you could do it for a much smaller lump of money if you do it yourself... of course then you might end up in the situation I'm in, with a bike in a million pieces in your garage, trying to acquire the right parts you need to fix the damage you did seizing the engine...

Good luck :D

damo
11th December 2006, 08:41
heh heh

i got "tapped" by a car this morning on the way to work.

travelling up the side on Tamaki Drv, indicators on like Mr Plod told me too..

when a black Alfa decides that hes too impatient to wait in traffic, and does a U Turn right in front of me.

so I didnt even touch the brakes, and swerved around the front of his car, he didnt even stop.. manus... so his bumper clipped my foot and footpeg.. hope I left a nice scrape across his bumper...

no damage to me, and the Wonton Dragon looks like its sweet as also.

I didn't bother to stop, didn't see the point, so just trundled off to work as per.

pays to be wide awake at that time.. glad I'd had a coffee before I left home!

Static
11th December 2006, 16:00
nice well at least you got a reasonable story i still dont even know why my back wheel locked up and ended up in a fence lol

Squiggles
15th December 2006, 23:37
good to hear you survived the experience... did you change up gears just before hand? and possibly it didnt fully engage then jumped back down, locking the rear?

Static
16th December 2006, 09:09
thats just it i still dont know how i dident change down and i dident brake through the corner

lukelin250
16th December 2006, 15:26
yeah my mate just had a similar experiance on a zxr, he has no idea where it came from. weird huh

KATWYN
16th December 2006, 15:33
thats just it i still dont know how i dident change down and i dident brake through the corner

Well at first I thought if it wasn't braking then it must've been changing down
but if its neither of these what could it be.....did ya pull the clutch in
slightly an let it out (for whatever reason)??

Theres many eyes (including mine) watching this thread looking for a logical reason of what may have happened....and to learn from it

Static
17th December 2006, 16:17
yea i wana have another look at my bike when i get it back to see if i can work anything out, im prety sure i wasent near the clutch and as soon as i realised i was locked i made sure i wasent near cutch or brake

Snowcarver04
17th December 2006, 22:05

I just wrote of my 89 cbr250 so i might have a few parts u are after. I rode into the drain and hit a concrete pipe so buggered both rims went over the front and bike landed and scraped on side so no fairings or anything.The forks seemed fine but I didnt give thema full look over and im pretty sure all the electriccs were fine except for indicator lamps obviously.Ill get it back from my insurance assor this week sometime if your interested. Ill do u some pretty cheap parts

BangyKnight
5th January 2007, 05:05
Hi everyone,
This may have no bearing on your situation Static, but then again who knows.

About 20 years ago I was riding with a buddy he on a Triumph, me on a Kawasaki, Anyway we were pulling out of a service station when his rear tire locked up and he went down hard. After picking him and his bike we couldn’t find any obvious cause. We continued back to his home cautiously. When he turned into his driveway it locked up again.

It turned out that his chain was loose and when he would make a turn and the rear shock was under load the geometry changed enough that the links wouldn’t mesh with the rear sprocket. But when he got off the bike the rear end would unload allowing the links to mesh correctly.

So I guess what I am asking is, how long has it been since the chain was adjusted?

Static
5th January 2007, 13:34
hmm i do admit it had been a while since i had tightened it and it was on the looser side of things but it was nowhere as loose as it was when i got it and i had been riding for about 30 mins before i crashed so, i dunno i guess it could possible

rookie
6th January 2007, 13:36
sounds like BK is a bit of a genius...u mentioned in the first post that you locked it up going around a corner, just like BK's mate...sounds like a similar situation.

Unless you braked hard round the corner or changed down while cornering...which you've already said you werent in previous posts.

hmm...perhaps you were conering so hard that the centrifugal force acting on the bike caused the inside pads to make contact with the disc and therefore activate the brakes without you touching the lever?!?!...im just putting it out there

Monsterbishi
9th January 2007, 09:23
hmm...perhaps you were conering so hard that the centrifugal force acting on the bike caused the inside pads to make contact with the disc and therefore activate the brakes without you touching the lever?!?!...im just putting it out there

Only objects subject to rotational motion will be under the effect of centrifugal force, the brake pads are stationary in respect, and at a right angle, so nope, no chance of this working as an excuse...

Static
9th January 2007, 15:50
Only objects subject to rotational motion will be under the effect of centrifugal force, the brake pads are stationary in respect, and at a right angle, so nope, no chance of this working as an excuse...

who the hell said im lookin for an excuse im just nervous cuz i dont know y this happened. if i thought it was my fauld id just laugh and not let it happen again but i dont know why therfore i cant avoid the same situation

rookie
9th January 2007, 22:28

A motorbike travelling quickly around a corner could be simplified as an object undergoing rotaional motion...although as the pads are mounted rigidly to the calipers, this means their velocity remains zero relative to the motorbike...so yea you're right.

BangyKnight
7th February 2007, 08:49
Hey Rookie, Thanks for the compliment. I have been accused of genius in the past. Something I categorically deny.

I found another forum that is a closer mach for what I ride. (www.chinariders.net) Because I ride a Zongshen in the States. But you folks have been so helpful and encouraging I want to make it a point to keep checking in. please feel free to come visit the chinariders forum. The cool thing is we choose to ride 200’s as opposed to being mandated by the government. I feel for you. But there are times I wish we would do the same thing here.

I don’t mean to take this thread off track, I guess the only thing to do Static is to try to reproduce the event in as controlled an environment as you can. Or maybe get a mate that is young and therefore invulnerable; try to get it to do it again.

I wish you the best of luck.

Atomic
7th February 2007, 12:57
Dont ride it unless you know its straight! I had a low speed washout when a car pulled out in front of me, the bike hit the car at maybe 20kph while sliding on its side. I fixed it up a little bit and thought it would be fine.... later discovered that it was a tank slapping beast, any half decent bump while cornering would give it a major wobble, I am surprised I continued to ride it! Went for a ride down through Thames, had the little FZR250 pulling around 150kph around a corner that turned into a bridge with a little bump in it and it provoked a mighty tank slapper that highsided me.

Bike was destroyed, rear sub frame folded down under wheel, no fairings in sight, front wheel bent back into frame, bike had a 10° off straight bend down the middle and I spent 3 days in hospital.

Tank slappers are scary as hell and high sides are deadly.

Dont ride a bent bike EVER!

corny4
11th February 2007, 13:03
Sounds nasty hope I dont do the same

CM2005
21st February 2007, 19:51
Hey Static,
gutted about your prang mate..
just an idea to save on fairings and lights.. streetfighter!! good to hear your okay.