PDA

View Full Version : Tyre selection for mostly onroad use

zooter
3rd December 2006, 23:55
I posted in the sticky tyre thread but no response. ttr600 is towing a light unloaded trailer up and down rubbish hilly gravel drives but mostly on sealed highway at speed. On the road bike I find gravel very unnerving. I want tyres that are good miles per dollar and provide safe traction, I don't need to go fast on the gravel but on seal in wet I'd like to maintain speed.

What?
4th December 2006, 05:29
I want tyres that are good miles per dollar and provide safe traction, I don't need to go fast on the gravel but on seal in wet I'd like to maintain speed.

The you need Metzeler Tourance. They ain't cheap, but (in my experience) last well enough to be good value, plus thay hang on to the tarmac.
I used to run Bridgestone TW101/152's. They aren't too bad grip-wise, but do not offer the same Km/$ as the Tourances, in spite of being half the price.

oldrider
4th December 2006, 10:36
To get almost exactly the same tread and performance as the tourances, buy the Mitas E08 for a better price.
I have used both, can't tell much difference on the road but there is quite a difference on your credit card. Cheers John.

zooter
5th December 2006, 21:46
thanks oldtimer. When you say same perrormace does that include the milage? If so it's a done deal.

Ruralman
6th December 2006, 07:19
thanks oldtimer. When you say same perrormace does that include the milage? If so it's a done deal.

Rear for my T/A was quoted as $140 and $110 for the front - Transalper reckons he gets over 14000km and they swear by them for grip on the road as well. I would go for the EO8's for your use. Have a look here.
http://www.lmsimports.co.nz/products.php?cat=2
I'm not sure we'll get as many miles as them as we have a lot more hills and corners than the Cant. riders, but they will still wear at least as well as anything else.

What?
7th December 2006, 05:21
That's about half the Metzeler price. Might have to try some next time.

rouppe
7th December 2006, 10:50
Been reading these tyre threads with interest. I have a Suzuki XF650 Freewind currently with Pirrelli MT80's front and rear. I bought the bike 6 months ago with these tyres on it and have been commuting every day since June on them. Done nearly 6000km already and there still seems to be quite a bit of life left. Maybe its been all the rain...

Purpose of the bike is as a commutter. Backup purpose is in the case of 'an event' in Wellington, I want something that can deal with the resulting mess and still get me home. No idea what I'd have to deal with in the event of 'an event'. Might just be rubble and gravel, might be a hillside slip.

I'll have to replace these tyres eventually. Seems like Mitas E07 or E08 would be the job then. Not really knowing anything about tyres I was going to stick with the MT80 or try an MT60. I can't see any info on the Pirrelli site for an MT21.

Any last comments?

What?
8th December 2006, 05:43
I put an MT60 on the back of my XT550 - big mistake! It was the un-stickiest tyre I have ever had. It would slide on just about every corner on the Waikato side of the Kaimai, and that was in the dry.

warewolf
8th December 2006, 07:02
I can't see any info on the Pirrelli site for an MT21.Pirelli MT21 Rallycross (http://www.pirellityre.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/on_off_road/enduro_on_off&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=1608&uri=/pirellityre/en_IT/browser/xml/catalog/moto/MOTO_MV_MT21RALLYCROSS_ROA.xml).

Any last comments?In order from most street to most off-road, the three are MT60, MT80, MT21.

In the event of an event you'd best be on a trials bike :yes: otherwise just drop the pressures and ride carefully. No point riding all the time on a hard-core knobby "just in case". For a primary commuter I'd go for something up the street end of the dual-purpose spectrum. Maybe MT90 A/T but not as far as the MT90 S/T. You'd still have a good measure of gravel road ability that way.

rouppe
8th December 2006, 09:06
Thanks for the info guys.

I guess I'll steer clear of the MT60 then.

I was not using the tread selection combobox on the pirelli site, that's why I missed the MT21. That tread is no good for the majority commuting I do.

So it does come down the MT80 or MT90 A/T for Pirelli.

Does this have any implications for recommending the the Mitas tyres? Stick with Pirelli, Mitas are just as good but cheaper....?

Catch ya later...

Andrew

warewolf
11th December 2006, 15:20
I quoted Pirelli because I have experience with them, and sticking within the one brand was easier to demonstrate the differing tread styles to you.

NordieBoy
12th December 2006, 16:01
I loved my MT60's.
2500km from the rear was the killer though :(