PDA

View Full Version : Worth buying gear in the UK?

Spyked
4th December 2006, 18:50
Going to the UK middle of next year for a month and wandered how prices for riding gear stack up against ours?
I imagine that the range of stuff available off the shelf would be greater, but is it worth the wait. If there's not much difference I would rather buy locally.
I figured that someone here would know.

Biff
4th December 2006, 20:05
I was inthe UK last week, and spent quite a bit of my spare time in bike shops.
You're correct in assuming here's heaps more selection of bike accessories and clothing, but most of it is very pricey compared to what you would pay for similar 'bits' in NZ. If you can find what you're looking for in NZ.

I did treat myself to a Motorax automatic chain oiler in M&Ps store: http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=526835.

My 2c - have a good look around by all means, but do the price conversion mathamathingy before buying.

scracha
4th December 2006, 21:41
Ebay over there is fantastic. Much better than the overpriced tripe you get on reTardme. Worth taking a look and you can even start bidding before you arrive.

svs
4th December 2006, 22:12
If you're over there when one of the big bike shows is on - like the one at the NEC - then you can grab a bargin. It's probably not worth buying stuff at retail price though. Although the selection is better, the prices over here are pretty good.

lukelin250
4th December 2006, 22:18
not cheap with the conversion rates, you have to be earning the pound for the stuff to really be cheap.

TLDV8
4th December 2006, 22:26
There may be some advantages if you are bringing items back personally but it pays to be careful if having items sent to you.Airmail from the UK can be ultra expensive.

Spyked
4th December 2006, 23:01
If you're over there when one of the big bike shows is on - like the one at the NEC - then you can grab a bargin. It's probably not worth buying stuff at retail price though. Although the selection is better, the prices over here are pretty good.

Just done a quick search for shows mid June, early July but there doesn't seem to be much on around that period, which is a bugger.
Ebay would be worth sussing out, I've seen some really cheap used parts and accessories but have usually held off bidding because shipping costs usually stuff it up. Pick up would sort that out.

Thanks for the suggestions

ceebie13
5th December 2006, 11:05
I just ordered a rear sports carrier from Renntec in the UK. Im still waiting for it to arrive after three weeks. I made email contact and transferred the dosh direct. Renntec themselves have been exceedingly helpful and said they will despatch another carrier if it doesn't show up in a weeks time....hopefully they wont use Parcel Force this time.

And I also ordered a (fabulous) rear hugger for the CB. (see pic). It came from BS Motoparts in Germany. The hugger is actually Spanish made (Puig).
But what impressed me was the typical German efficiency. It was here within five days of my money appearing in their bank. Price? every bit as cost effective (if not cheaper) than buying a hugger here in NZ...that's if you can find one as well made. Mind you, how it got here in one piece is anybodies guess. The box it arrived in was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

www.bs-motoparts.com

vagrant
17th January 2007, 21:22
I bought some brake discs and gloves and some other bits and pieces from Demon Tweeks in Wrexham, just over the Welsh border.
If you mail order they take their VAT tax off, but if you buy in the shop you have to get a customs form stamped when you leave the country, and then post it back to the shop, then they refund the VAT onto your credit card.
They had great brand selection, but had just finished a sale before I arrived so were short of leathers in my size. Price was comparable to here, just a better range.

The_Dover
17th January 2007, 21:27
Two words.

Heine Gericke.

another two, not as sweet but still worth a look and improving all the time.

Frank Thomas.

And if you can stretch to 600 quid then check out the Wolf Racing Kangaroo gear. Fuckin choice as a choice thing.

dawnrazor
19th January 2007, 07:32
its all about choice, and it won't be a case of is it cheaoer to buy stuff over there when you are there, it'll be a case of can you stop yourself...

ceebie13
24th January 2007, 17:46
Two words.

Heine Gericke.

another two, not as sweet but still worth a look and improving all the time.

Frank Thomas.

seconded :niceone:

Biff
24th January 2007, 18:25
Two words.

Heine Gericke.

Legendary kit. Love it.
I've had the same HG leathers for over three years noow. Sure on a hot day the sag in my leather clad arse looks like I've shat a bus-load of school kids, but I hear you can buy cream for that.

Hawkeye
24th January 2007, 20:38
I've just bought a new helmet from the UK. $340 for a good quality helmet which would cost me way over $700 in NZ for similar quality. Free delivery to a UK address (always good to have outlaws in the UK). My wife is going back in March to see her parents so will bring it back as hand luggage.
Yessssssss!

bikemike
24th January 2007, 22:08
Bought a helmet when over there last time; couldn't find anything I liked in the right sizes here in NZ. 64 :-(

If in Scotland, check out J&S in Hamilton. You can walk in there and get kitted out in gear whatever you are after.

Second, third, whatever on Frank Thomas. Belstaff was still good last time I looked and competitive on price. Bike jacket really designed for bike use and not a fashion item, cost me 89 pounds. Things may have changed though...

Since the late 90’s, Belstaff has reached new acclaim as a leading fashion brand in Europe worn by famous names including George Clooney, Gerard Depardieu, Andreas Bocelli, Naomi Campbell, Sharon Stone and Giacomo Agostini.
Shame.

scracha
28th January 2007, 17:23
Fourth'd on the Frank Thomas stuff. Cheap but good quility. My cordura Frank Thomas aqua jacket must be at least 8 years old.

hmmmnz
16th February 2007, 09:29
im gunna give a -1 to frank thomas gear,
my waterproof gloves got soaked the first time it rained, and the domes on my jacket poped off with in a month, and the zip is sticking,
hein gerrick is the way to go if you dont mind spending a small fortune,

hmmmnz
16th February 2007, 10:25
here is a rally in kent :D
Sat 9th to Sun10th BMF - Garden of England Motorcycle Show
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., The Hop Farm, Paddock Wood, Kent.
http://www.bmf.co.uk/events07mini/gems/index.html
thats about 1 hour south east of london

1-2 june Unwanted MCC (MAG Affiliated Club) 5th Annual Bike/Custom Show - The Beech Inn, Derby Road, Stretton, Burton on Trent, Staffs, just off A38 (A5121). Bike Show on Saturday, 14 Catorgories, Cash Prize for Best in Show, Trophies for all Catorgories, BBQ, "Top Gear Sounds Disco", Stalls, Free Camping. Tickets/Prices: £3:00 to enter Bike in the Show

Spyked
18th February 2007, 19:11
Looks like I've picked a pretty dead period for any bike shows etc. 26/6 to 21/7.
Still, I'm looking forwards to just mooching around some of the bigger bikeshops and gear retailers over there.

hmmmnz
19th February 2007, 13:00
oh end of june most of july,
thats the best time, ill check back to ya with dates and places,
there is plenty on, i was only looking at the june events that wernt too far from london, :d

Spyked
19th February 2007, 21:12
Cheers for that mate, I really appreciate it. I'll be all over the country so staying around London is not an issue either.