PDA

View Full Version : Pack Rack for ZZR250

Disco Dan
4th December 2006, 21:39
Now that my trusty Kawa zzr is my only form of transport I need to look at extra storage...

Im looking at buying a pack rack, but unsure how they work/attach? also can i just buy any old one off trademe? or are the brackets specific to each bike???

Where can i go to purchase one?

Also, what are the pro/cons of the hard case style storage? would they suit my bike?

Never had to think about this before, so I have NO idea!!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

FROSTY
4th December 2006, 22:11
ya need bike specific racks --easy to fit

Gremlin
5th December 2006, 00:00
The L arms, that lead to the back of the bike, are bike specific. For a zzr250, you take off the little tie down things on each side of the seat (2 on each side).

Chuck the arms on, then you have the rear bit which is quite stock amongst the bikes I think (arms make it so). Ventura makes a rack and arms for a zzr250, and I had a pack rack for my zzr250, and sold it with the bike.

Wreckers may be an option, there is one in Wellington (name and website is blank at the mo, but its the one where some complain the guy is a grumpy bugger, but I found him really good). You can ask if he has one, or ask to be placed on a list, as he emailed me when he got one in. They are usually in high demand I think, so will cost you about $100 I think, for a set (excluding bags/boxes)

If you have long screws, watch for hitting the sub frame, when screwing it on, or you will take the head off a bolt :crybaby:

bobsmith
5th December 2006, 07:36
Hmmm I used to have them on my old ZZR250 which got written off.... Now I'm not sure which recker got it so I can't tell you but you could ring around wreckers around Palmy if you wanted to find a cheap one... Otherwise any decent bike shop should be able to help you but there is a guyon trademe that does them for fairly cheaply I think... Not sure about quality though.

Vagabond
5th December 2006, 08:20
Got mine off 'Motorcycle Surgery' see Ian very helpful, situated under Motomail.
41 College Hill, Ponsonby

Plus Motomail has all the differing bags to look at!

Grantasaurus
5th December 2006, 11:50
Why do you need a pack-rack?
I've always thought that the luggage hooks at the back, plus a mid sized backpack would be more than sufficient for a week away.
Maybe I just pack on the light side?

Disco Dan
5th December 2006, 14:50
to quote little briton here "yeah I know"....

> i do need a firm frame to carry things, those little hooks are great but are not the best...

mikey62
5th December 2006, 18:58
When I got my ZZR400. All the bike shops I rang said they would have to get them in. One place got back to me and said it would be a couple of months as the arms etc have to be cut and made up. Even tried going direct to the manufacturer (in Hamilton I think) but they only wholesale, no retail sales. PM me if you find one for a 400.

Cheers

NighthawkNZ
6th December 2006, 06:05
http://www.ventura-bike.co.nz/english/products/pack_system/index.html

I have had both hard and soft luggage in the past...and they both have advantages and disadvantages. At present I have soft luggage for the VTR because couldn't find any hard luggageto suit and the expense

Soft luggae
Cons
A)- Can leak, and after solid rain well... (so you need to put gear in plastic bags inside luggage)
B)- Very little protection to items in throw over panniers if you drop.
C)- If throw overs are empty you need to take em off as the flap about.
D)- Not lockable and can be stolen of bike.
E)- Colours are limited... usually black or the new black... black

Pros
A)- Quick and easy to install.
B)- Quick and easy to take luggage and pack off at night.
C)- Easier to take odd shape and sized objects.
D)- Expandable (if you buy the correct set) from single to double and then plus throw over side saddles
E)- Cheaper to buy, replace
F)- Breathable

As for hard luggage,
Cons
A)- Finding a set that really suits the bike.
B)- Way more expensive... (and for replace or repairs if you drop yah bike).
C)- there is no give... so carrying odd shape items sometimes can be a problem...
D)- More difficult to install.
E)- Not breathable so on stinking hot days can sweat so need to put in plastic bag (as above for Soft luggage on a wet day... can't frackin win)

Pros
A)- You gear is lockable so when touring you can happily leave on bike when shopping
B)- Most are water tight.
C)- Offers some protection (at the expense of the pannier) to the bike or items in pannier if you drop.
D)- paintable to so you can match the bike.
E)- Detatchable and can be used as carry cases

theres more but my brain died so you lucky I thought of those :o)