PDA

View Full Version : Straightening discs

Toast
5th December 2006, 16:13
My discs are possibly a wee bit warped. How much to straighten a pair, anyone know?

Also, are they normally pretty sweet afterwards? Or would stumping up for new ones be a better choice?

Cheers.

onearmedbandit
5th December 2006, 16:15
Someone should be able to provide with their contact details, I think they are called F1 Engineering. Texmo got his done there and by all accounts a great job at a great price delivered on time. Can't ask better than that.

Shaun
5th December 2006, 16:18
If they are warped caused by heat, by new, as they will go out of true real quick, but if warped from a bang, F1 will be able to fix 07 8476990

bugjuice
5th December 2006, 16:19
yeah, I've been told F1 are the nuts. Think they're in Cambridge tho. There's a place on Barrys Point Road, opposite Foodtown and round the back of the car sales place. They do rims, and I think a few other bits. Think they do brakes..
I'll try to remember who they are and let you know

ManDownUnder
5th December 2006, 16:22
There's a place on Barrys Point Road, opposite Foodtown and round the back of the car sales place. They do rims, and I think a few other bits.

Fuck me... the gay boys will be happy! Rimming and extras too... ?

bugjuice
5th December 2006, 16:31
but they 'un-bend'.. :scratch:

Shaun
5th December 2006, 16:50
yeah, I've been told F1 are the nuts. Think they're in Cambridge tho. There's a place on Barrys Point Road, opposite Foodtown and round the back of the car sales place. They do rims, and I think a few other bits. Think they do brakes..
I'll try to remember who they are and let you know

No mate, F1 are in Hamilton

Toast
5th December 2006, 19:46
Cheers guys, I'll try the Barry's Pt place, since it's within walking of my workplace...if they haven't got a lot of experience, I'll go with F1.

Not really sure how they got warped. It seemed to happen after one particular stoppie...maybe it came from stoppie heat and then sitting at the lights with no wind blowing on them, keeping them hot for a long time...not sure.

jade
8th December 2006, 16:21
Ive been to both those places, the one on barrys point straightened my rim after I hit a car square on the side on my nsr... they did an alright job - scratched rim tho, f1 engineering are the tits tho, they straightened my frame and discs 3 weeks ago, the works mint.

Warr
8th December 2006, 20:32
What Shaun said re heat bent ones. Dont bother.
There is a place in Cambridge.
John Yates 07 827 6688. He does alloy wheels too.

As for replacements bite the bullet and go OEM. Yes it will cost, but so does buying cheaper aftermarkets that dont last. eg warp too easily.
I bought a set off E-Bay for less than 1/4 of the price I'd have to pay in NZ. Yes risky too but they are sweet.

mynameis
15th December 2006, 13:05
The bike shop opposite foodtown is Spectrum and from memory I think they send discs away to F1 to get it done. Does anyone know what the costs are by any chance?

mynameis

vagrant
15th December 2006, 22:34
The dudes opposite foodtown are Brugar Engineering Ltd, you can ring them on 486 6832.
They fixed up a set of mags off my VR4 following an encounter with a rather deep pothole. Don't know if they do discs.

As for the warped discs, ditch them.
I replaced the full set on my Fireblade because they were dished and warped. OEM price was insane, and I was quoted $1300ish for a pair of EBC's.
I got the full set instead from Demon Tweeks in the UK. With the VAT refund I had them on the bike for just on $900. Came with free pads too.
They look great, work even better, and sound pretty mean when used hard!
They also do a wave cut version,

The Pastor
26th December 2006, 18:22
Cheers guys, I'll try the Barry's Pt place, since it's within walking of my workplace...if they haven't got a lot of experience, I'll go with F1.

Not really sure how they got warped. It seemed to happen after one particular stoppie...maybe it came from stoppie heat and then sitting at the lights with no wind blowing on them, keeping them hot for a long time...not sure.

Did u try the place on barry's pt road? how did it go and how much was it? Im looking at getting this done very soon.

Toast
26th December 2006, 18:37
Did u try the place on barry's pt road? how did it go and how much was it? Im looking at getting this done very soon.

Sorry, haven't tried 'em yet. Bike is back in shop getting repaired after a small tap from a car. I'll post up if I do get some work done.

The Pastor
24th January 2007, 18:19
I had a chat to the guys at barrys point road, said they havnt done it for years and its expensive as and takes time.........

I got 2 2nd hand discs for 125 each from that guy in waihi, hes is the man for fast replies to email.

I enquired about the discs, 2hrs later I get a reply saying he has some in stock and gives me a bank account details and so on.

The next day he posts them, and they arrive the next day.

SUPERFAST YO!

rok-the-boat
29th January 2007, 11:23
If they are not too bad, you could have them ground flat.

imdying
29th January 2007, 11:47
If they are not too bad, you could have them ground flat.Who do you know that can economically parallel surface grind motorcycle discs?

riffer
29th January 2007, 13:52
PG2000 in Wellington.

If you can take the rotors off the carriers, they'll do them for about $40.

imdying
29th January 2007, 14:06
PG2000 in Wellington.

If you can take the rotors off the carriers, they'll do them for about $40.

Good good, anyone had any done by this crowed yet? We need to build up a knowledge base about this sort of stuff.