PDA

View Full Version : Little Red 650F's big adventure

Shiner
5th December 2006, 19:57
HI
My little red 650F and I have been making some solo trips out and about having little adventures. Been to Cape Palliser, Ocean beach (via western side Lake Wairarapa) Lake Ferry, White Rock, Tora, gravel roads out the back of Hunterville and gravel roads out the back of Piopio. Am trying to build up gravel riding skills, as my previous bike was a VFR400, and that was afew years ago.So am looking for some adventure riders ( not too full on at this stage!) to have a day out with.
I am heading for a BIG adventure in the South Island 2 -25 January. Planning to travel over Danseys Pass, Skippers Canyon road, Molesworth trail, Hakateriamea valley, and possibly Dunstan trail. So anyone who will be riding around south island during those times and may like to show me some roads or join me on the ones I have roughly planned for...I would like to hear from you so we can tee something up.

happy adventuring
:sunny: :sunny:

Trudes
5th December 2006, 20:27
Hi again Shiner.
Hey I'd love to join you on some of your adventures, however my hornet (and I ) don't do gravel too well. Since watching "the long way round" I've become quite interested in off road adventures and the idea of riding in gravel has become a bit of a misson for me, but not on my road bike.
So here's a question someone may know the answer to, can you hire off road bikes for like a week or so?
Thanks.

Ruralman
5th December 2006, 20:55
If you're thinking of dansey's Pass and the Dunstan trail then your'e in Oldrider and my backyard - the ride between his place and mine is best done through the dansey's and goes right past the Dunstan trail turnoff. We have talked about a loop over there some time which could then include continuing on the second part of the Dunstan through to Poolburn and Alexandra, or coming over past Lake Onslow to Millers Flat.
So let us know when you're coming down - some of those places you definitely don't want to be riding on your own and you need to pick your weather.
To answer Mrs KD's ? - there is a new hire business in Dunedin
http://www.backroadsbikes.co.nz/bike_touring.html
They have several options for rides like this.
You've made a good move - there's so much of NZ you miss if you can't cope with gravel roads, and quite a bit more you can see if you can cope with the odd rough track (without getting into off road trail stuff). keep up the practise and keep in touch.

far queue
5th December 2006, 21:00
I am heading for a BIG adventure in the South Island 2 -25 January. Planning to travel over Danseys Pass, Skippers Canyon road, Molesworth trail, Hakateriamea valley, and possibly Dunstan trail. So anyone who will be riding around south island during those times and may like to show me some roads or join me on the ones I have roughly planned for...I would like to hear from you so we can tee something up.Gidday there. I'll on the roads/tracks down south just after that from 2-6 Feb, so I can't help you there, but the Otago boys may be able to help. I can probably hook up with you for some local stuff on your way through though.

So here's a question someone may know the answer to, can you hire off road bikes for like a week or so?Yep, have a look here (http://www.nzbike.com/2004/) BMW 650's and Yamaha XT600's

SDU
6th December 2006, 12:56
Still getting use to the gravel stuff myself.
If you are stopping in Chch on your travels don't forget to give some warning. Put a post up for a ride or drinks in the meetings thread closer to time.
A trip on the tar & gravel roads to Akaroa is always a must if staying here.
Have a good trip

Shiner
6th December 2006, 18:17
HI everyone
thank you for the welcome and kind offers. Yes Mrs Kendog I will definately hook up for a ride sometime soon.
Ruralman thanks for the advice and the trails you mentioned were ones I have looked at on the maps. Will be in touch.
Far queue and SDU yes also will be in touch when approaching Chch. Not sure which way to go down East and back West coast roughly or opposite direction. Will see how I feel closer to the time. Only 10 more days of work to go ....and counting down!
:yes:

Ruralman
15th December 2006, 08:29
You probably should add the Nevis road from Bannockburn (near Cromwell) though to Garston. Good summer ride. About 25 river crossings/fords that in summer are very shallow unless theres been recent heavy rain. It gets up quite high and has some spectacular views - I've only done part of it and keen to go back and go right through.
Other events down here during your timetable include the Glenorchy rally on Jan 12-13, and the BRONZ Otago TT run to Galloway (site for the Vincent County rally in FEb) on Jan 20th.
I've got a local mate keen to go through the Nevis and I'm sure Oldrider won't take much arm twisting either so keep us posted on you travel plans and it might all work together.

oldrider
16th December 2006, 22:20
Hey there Shiner, Petone is my old stamping ground, I lived there as a teenager and apprentice, played rugby, rode motorcycles and generally made a nuisance of myself there between 1955 and 1960.
What part of Petone do you live in?
If you are interested in coming south you will surely enjoy it there are some very nice rides down here.
Hakataramea pass is relatively sedate and easy but well worth riding, I almost came to grief there on my return from Tekapo following the great KB Southern rally last week end!
The fords were exceptionally high, not that that is a bother but I spent my time admiring the height of the water instead of concentrating upon the actual crossing and stalled right in the middle and almost lost my footing and got wet feet in the process!
You just have to keep your mind on the job, even when things are relatively mundane and familiar!
Let us know if you are in the area, we might hook up for a ride or two. Cheers John.

paulj
17th December 2006, 05:52
You probably should add the Nevis road from Bannockburn (near Cromwell) though to Garston. Good summer ride. About 25 river crossings/fords that in summer are very shallow unless theres been recent heavy rain. It gets up quite high and has some spectacular views - I've only done part of it and keen to go back and go right through.

Count me in folks - Nevis is literally 5 minutes from my back door - Dunstan trail, I'll be all over there this Xmas/New Year - give me a holler - would welcome the company.

Shiner
17th December 2006, 07:24
Hi Ruralman
yes have thought about the Nevis road. I have not done much river crossings, but sure with some company and pointers I will be right. Thanks for the information and will be in touch.

Shiner
17th December 2006, 07:31
Thank you guys I will definately be in touch when I am in the big Island. Have toured before on peddle power bicycle. Did not go over too many really outback places but did go over Danseys pass and off the boat at Queenstown through Walter Peak Station to Mavora lakes and then out to Te Anau. Fell in love with the landscape and ended up living in Otago for 2 years. Love the South very much. Hoping to do some hiking also while down there.
Thanks again for your help here

Howie
17th December 2006, 08:53
Hi shinner, just noticed this thread, I can't help you out with your plans for the south island, but if you'd like to do some local rides sometime let me know as I also need to get some gravel/ dirt road mileage in, as I have just brought a dual purpose bike.

Shiner
17th December 2006, 13:30
Hi shinner, just noticed this thread, I can't help you out with your plans for the south island, but if you'd like to do some local rides sometime let me know as I also need to get some gravel/ dirt road mileage in, as I have just brought a dual purpose bike.

Hi Howie
yes that would be great. With the silly season upon us however not much time until I head south. Today would have been great! I finish work next Wednesday and then have to head north to family for afew days but will be back in town for afew days before the 2 when I go south.
Keep in touch for sure.

nigelp
17th December 2006, 14:08
Hi Ruralman
yes have thought about the Nevis road. I have not done much river crossings, but sure with some company and pointers I will be right. Thanks for the information and will be in touch.

Hey Shiner
I did the Nevis 2 weeks ago, however it was in a 4wd, not on a bike. The river crossings were up to half way up the door (Mitsi Triton ute) so would be damn deep on a bike! It appears that the road needs a bit of maintenance as where the road meets river there are .5 to 1m banks whic makes fun river crossings. We did go through there a few days after Qtown was flooding though. Definately worth the trip, took us 4hrs to do the 80kms of it.

Shiner
17th December 2006, 16:05
Hey Shiner
I did the Nevis 2 weeks ago, however it was in a 4wd, not on a bike. The river crossings were up to half way up the door (Mitsi Triton ute) so would be damn deep on a bike! It appears that the road needs a bit of maintenance as where the road meets river there are .5 to 1m banks whic makes fun river crossings. We did go through there a few days after Qtown was flooding though. Definately worth the trip, took us 4hrs to do the 80kms of it.

umm...! That sounds like fun! Not sure if the 650 can swim and thinking that sounds abit much for us... will check it out with some of the locals when I get near there. Thanks for the information.

sels1
17th December 2006, 17:09
Belated welcome aboard the site, Shiner. My last bike was just like your one - good choice! If you are coming up the Kapiti coast anytime there is a couple of gravel roads within striking distance I could show you.

Ruralman
18th December 2006, 20:26
umm...! That sounds like fun! Not sure if the 650 can swim and thinking that sounds abit much for us... will check it out with some of the locals when I get near there. Thanks for the information.

Don't worry about that story too much - like he said that was after flood rains in the area. By mid Jan those streams will be well down and the locals will have done something about any really awkward approaches etc. It will still be challenging, but in a group and taking your time to find the best line etc, and not going if the rivers are high you will get there OK.
Cheers
bruce

paulj
19th December 2006, 04:49
Don't worry about that story too much - like he said that was after flood rains in the area. By mid Jan those streams will be well down and the locals will have done something about any really awkward approaches etc. It will still be challenging, but in a group and taking your time to find the best line etc, and not going if the rivers are high you will get there OK.
Cheers
bruce

Yeah - I'm with Bruce - I was in there a week back - went up 15 river crossings and back - Commissoners Creek is boldery on the bottom and one or two crossings are slightly bluffed on the exit but there are alternatives - I gave up stopping for a look first and ended up over the tank and soaked - too much gung-ho! But that's what it's about - no CP coverage but lots of activity if help was needed.

The unpleasant part is the lift up onto Duffers Saddle from the seal (Bannockburn end) - the road is very rough and hammers the bike and rider - there is talk of ripping the bedrock and grading but I don't see this happening soon.

And the most important part - great pubs at each end.

Ruralman
19th December 2006, 19:58
Yeah - I'm with Bruce - I was in there a week back - went up 15 river crossings and back - Commissoners Creek is boldery on the bottom and one or two crossings are slightly bluffed on the exit but there are alternatives - I gave up stopping for a look first and ended up over the tank and soaked - too much gung-ho! But that's what it's about - no CP coverage but lots of activity if help was needed.

The unpleasant part is the lift up onto Duffers Saddle from the seal (Bannockburn end) - the road is very rough and hammers the bike and rider - there is talk of ripping the bedrock and grading but I don't see this happening soon.

And the most important part - great pubs at each end.

Thanks for that update Paulj. I have been up that road at the Bannockburn end a year ago on my dirt bike. Sounds like it has got a lot worse - at least on a bike you can chose a line for only one set of wheels!
Look forward to meeting you and get intouch if you are down this way any time (I actually took my bike to a meeting in Alex. today - nice ride, shame about the H Patrols!!)

paulj
19th December 2006, 21:27
Look forward to meeting you and get intouch if you are down this way any time
Yes me too Bruce- I'm no spring chicken and a fairly 'conservative' rider (for the moment) - doing my first sorte into Poolburn/Manorburn on Sat weather permitting. Then after Xmas right through Dunstan Road, Serpentine ... and swing into Lawrence for some steak, ale and clean sheets at the motels.

An interesting variation on Nevis is to head out of the Bannockburn pub and up the Carricktown Walking Track - past Quartzville and on to the Young Australian water wheel and stamping battery - then along the ridge to Duffers and down into the Nevis - rough as hell but with the speed kept down it is a fun ride.

So much to do ... so little time!!

Shiner
19th December 2006, 21:30
Thanks for the updates on the roads guys. I am thinking of a quick leg extention before I come down. Might need it for bouldery rivers. Hey will see what the situation is when I get closer. I do not have hard out nobbly tyres but a fairly deep cut dwell purpose tyre, as I will be doing a fair bit of sealed road riding also.
Cheers

Jantar
19th December 2006, 23:15
I've just checked my roster, and I'm available to join in on rides in Central Otago on 5th - 7th, 15th & 23rd - 25th. I'm also available for half day rides on 9th - 12th and 20th - 22nd. If any of these match with a possible Nevis, Dunstan track or Thompsons track ride then count me in. :scooter:

Ruralman
20th December 2006, 15:49
Thanks for the updates on the roads guys. I am thinking of a quick leg extention before I come down. Might need it for bouldery rivers. Hey will see what the situation is when I get closer. I do not have hard out nobbly tyres but a fairly deep cut dwell purpose tyre, as I will be doing a fair bit of sealed road riding also.
Cheers

Tyres on my Transalp are very similar to what you describe - road biased dual purpose (I have a dirt bike for the hard out stuff). For the trips mentioned here these tyres are fine providing that the ground conditions are reasonably dry, which it usually is in these places in January.
Like you say tho' - decide on the day depending on conditions - eg the bit of the Dunstan trail over the end of the Rock and Pillar range has sections of road that are not maintained much and theres a lot of clay surfaces in places from the Loganburn Lake towards the Styx end - when this gets wet it can be quite slippery which wouldn't be a problem on a dirt bike with knobbies, but I'd be pretty cautious on a 200kg T/A etc on more roady tyres. On a dry day it won't be an issue.

Shiner
1st January 2007, 18:08
Bike packed up ...alarm set for very early start. Catch the 3 am ferry and our little adventure begins.
See you southerners soon!

Ruralman
2nd January 2007, 20:11
Bike packed up ...alarm set for very early start. Catch the 3 am ferry and our little adventure begins.

We'll look forward to that - hopefully I haven't got hay or balage down and ready to go when you get near here!

RedKLR650
13th January 2007, 11:08

Well we actually had the pleasure of meeting Shiner on her travels yesterday :-) A friend and I were riding the Meyers / Haka and McKenzie Passes yesterday afternoon when we chanced upon this lone female rider on a Red Beemer 650F cautiously navigating the shingle at the crest of the Hakataramea Pass. We stopped and after a bit of a chat offered to ride with her until she got back to the seal as she was still getting used to some of the deeper fords etc. I was in the KLR and friend Gary was on hes Africa Twin so we had an enjoyable afternoon showing this North Islander the wonderful back roads of the South Island. Attached are a couple of snaps taken during the ride..... Cheers, Stu:scooter: :wavey:

SDU
13th January 2007, 14:45
Nice Pics. Pretty good stuff meeting another KBer like that.
Hope you all had a good ride.

Shiner
27th January 2007, 21:29
After 3 weeks of excellent exploring and adventuring the beautiful South, I am back in Wellington reflecting on the fun had and trying to adjust to normality again.

Fantastic trip was had with some of my goals achieved and some saved for the next trip ( oh yes there will definately be another). Ride over Haka pass with the chance and somewhat pleasant meeting with RedKLR650 and his friend was one of the highlights. Having some company through the fords was reassuring. As RedKLR650 has mentioned we continued over MacKenzie pass and through more gravel. Most fantastic expansive scenery.

A further road ride from Geraldine to Tekapo saw my tyres used as never before...it is amazing how riding with company gives one confidence to just lean a little further, break less for corners. I am actually very impressed how the Beema handles with fast riding.

Lovely to meet up with a fellow KBer, Oldrider welcomed me in for a chat and cuppa, really lovely. Unfortunatly was not able to organise a ride. Also managed to miss Ruralman on several occasions. Next time.

Some bike repairs needed in Kurow lead me to meet a very interesting older gentleman mechanic who has a passion for Triumphs, and thus a morning ride around the lakes on a 1950 Tiger100 was a real treat.

Catching up with an old friend from school days, in Queenstown, I was to discover her hubby flies paragliders ( beautiful experience) and rides a KTM. So down the Skippers we go. As my gravel skills at this stage are still not great I ended up co pilot on my Beema with a more capable rider. Fantastic, and very enlightening experience to see what my bike can do in the gravel and dusty conditions. A dramatic and awesome part of the country.

The previous time I went over Danseys Pass was 4 years ago on a mountain bike as part of my biking tour. This time so much easier and wetter unfortunately, still amazing.

So all in all a fantastic trip with some great road riding Takaka Hill, Karamea Bluff, West Coast, Arthurs Pass, Highway to Westport, Kawarau Gorge and some challenging yet fun gravel roads The Haka, Mesopotamia, Danseys, East side of Lake Tekapo.

Some roads I loved so much ended up repeting them thus the 6 thousand km clocked up. And pleased to say only one little friendly but costly chat with Mr mufti traffic officer.

Much learnt and thinking that for further gravel roads I will try a more chunky front tyre as mine did tend to move alot on the stones. Have had some suggestions such as the Continental TKC80.

Actually this trip was a bit of a test for myself and the bike as after the fall I had at Tora on the gravel I lost some confidence and was considering a road bike again, but thought I give the 650F and myself a fair trial.
Much to my absolute delight I am again in love with the little red beema and just itching to learn more and get out there and have more little adventures.

So looking forward to meeting up with other adventure riders to go adventuring!

May try and add acouple of shots.

Sue

Shiner
27th January 2007, 22:42
trying to upload a couple of pics of the beema on its trip. not sure if I am having any luck here

Shiner
27th January 2007, 23:07
try again to upload some pics

merv
31st January 2007, 12:33
Hi nice to see you at lunch today Shiner and here I am just catching up with your thread. It was a great ride you did 6,000km in 3 1/2 weeks. Awesome country to ride in down South.

RedKLR650
11th February 2007, 07:52
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Shiner - all the best 38 Huh ??? :-) Anyway, the rest of the off road crew wish you well too, as we are just about to head off on day one of the passes road. All the Bast, REDKLR650 ( Stu )

Shiner
11th February 2007, 17:34
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Shiner - all the best 38 Huh ??? :-) Anyway, the rest of the off road crew wish you well too, as we are just about to head off on day one of the passes road. All the Bast, REDKLR650 ( Stu )

Thank you for the kind birthday wishes and call. So wish I was with yu guys today doing some real adventuring riding. However did have a fun day, set out for a birthday ride with Augustus and met up with the crew from TSS. So rode with them over the Rimatakas. Too many tin tops but fun nonetheless. Back again after watching a little sprints out the back of Cartonton and to a Long valley ? to a little privately owned race track. A nice little gravel road to it and I think I have found my confidence as I was doing as you have been saying Stu, give it a little squirt, and totally enjoyed the freedom of a loose back end!!! Had fun. Now hanging out for more. Will be down in South Island again asap. Hope all you guys have a lovely trip and thanks for the message and the call. Look forward to meeting up on my next trip down.
susie shiner:love:

merv
11th February 2007, 20:21
Hey Shiner you didn't admit to it being your birthday on this site as it didn't show on the homepage, but happy birthday. Hope to see you again sometime.

Shiner
12th February 2007, 05:58
Hey Shiner you didn't admit to it being your birthday on this site as it didn't show on the homepage, but happy birthday. Hope to see you again sometime.

I must have missed that. Yes be nice to catch up again sometime.