PDA

View Full Version : My pillion wants to ride too!

Big Dog
5th December 2006, 22:42
My Pillion wants to ride too!
I want her to ride too!

I don't think I am the right person to teach her.
Maybe later I can teach her the survival skills she will need, but the basic mechanics / physics of riding / staying on should come from someone a little less emotionally involved.

Have yet to get her a bike, told her she has to front her own because I want her to take it seriously.

What I need:
* Ideas on how to communicate what I want her to try / learn.
* Suggestions on who would be a good tutor (Prefer a woman as she seems to learn faster from women than men).
* Rough idea of what it will cost to get her said lessons.
* Does anyone on KB give said lessons.
* Someone willing to be a mentor to her.

I ask this because I want her to learn and learn right so she can have some of the joy that I feel every time I start a bike.

Disco Dan
5th December 2006, 22:53
Ive had a few pillions on the back of mine, they were new to bikes... told them my rules for pillion, if they dont follow them - walk.

*Before you get on, you need to trust me.
* Dont get on until i start the bike.
*Dont move on a corner, if you have to move wait until on straight.
* as a general rule, keep your helmet in line with mine.
*Never jump off when the shit hits the fan or it gets a bit bumpy - trust me.
* Move as one unit, dont anticipate my lean - move with me and bike as one.
When i tap you on the leg - that means im going to do something, ie accelarate, overtake, lane split etc etc - be prepared and hold on.

If pillion does not follow those, off they get. and they walk.

Just jump on and give it a go... ive done it a few times now... im still a bit of a newbie!

Big Dog
5th December 2006, 23:34
Ive had a few pillions on the back of mine......
... jump on and give it a go... ive done it a few times now... im still a bit of a newbie!
Perhaps I was being too obtuse.

She is already a Pillion, has been for 5 1/2 years.

We want her to ride, I just don't believe it is a good idea (certainly not for my sanity) for me to do the teaching.:scooter:

Ok, I'll need specifics...

Age, height, weight, hair colour, chest side, availability, that kinda stuff...

James Deuce
5th December 2006, 23:39
Shoot it and get a new pillion. They get uppity when they get their own bike.

bluninja
5th December 2006, 23:40
Good luck finding a tutor and mentor for your better half. How's the IT world treating you now? Got your MSDST..or MCSE yet? I see you've changed the bike :)

Big Dog
5th December 2006, 23:43
my rules for pillion, if they dont follow them - walk.

* No gear no ride.
* If only enough gear for one the pillion gets it.
* If I lean forward I'm about to unleash the full fury.
* If I lean back I'm going to slow, or there is a possible danger ahead.
* If you want me to slow down double tap both my hips.
* If you want me to stop double tap both my hips again.
* If you want me to go left double tap the corresponding hip.
* You can lean with me OR you can pack rack, you cannot change your mind mid corner.
* Your shout at any meal stops.
* If you want to tell me something put your visor up and grab the bitch bar.

Disco Dan
5th December 2006, 23:44
oh my bad, misread thread... :innocent:

sugilite
5th December 2006, 23:44
This is the woman you need.....
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=29971

I'm sure she will be of great help to your pillion going solo...

Big Dog
5th December 2006, 23:50
Ok, I'll need specifics...

Age, height, weight, hair colour, chest side, availability, that kinda stuff...
I'll skip straight to availability, My "Life Pillion".

Big Dog
5th December 2006, 23:55
Good luck finding a tutor and mentor for your better half. How's the IT world treating you now? Got your MSDST..or MCSE yet? I see you've changed the bike :)
Loving it!
A+, Network +, MCDST, 2 exams from MCSA (finished course), doing Exchange.
Yes and we are very happy together lol.

+++++ And a fully sanctioned purchase +++++++

I believe the instruction was "your not allowed to come home without it."

Big Dog
6th December 2006, 00:02
This is the woman you need.....
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=29971

I'm sure she will be of great help to your pillion going solo...
Her first post in her thread indicated that she does not do absoloute beginners, posted there anyway.
Thanks.

I'll skip straight to availability, My "Life Pillion".

So she's old? Message recieved and understood ;)

Disco Dan
6th December 2006, 00:45
So she's old? Message recieved and understood ;)

awww... well cheers weasel for clearing that one up.... :dodge:

crashe
6th December 2006, 05:49
For a start........ what kind of bike does she like?
Sports/tourer or cruiser style.

Next, go around a few bikes shops to get the feel of the bikes...
Height, can she reach the ground etc etc etc
She must feel comfortable on the bike...
Is it the right colour...... apparently some like to go with the colour of the bike !

Once you have established that factor then you know where you are heading.

Most newbies start off on a GN250...... ($3500 brand new on road)

But as you know I do love the VIRAGO :love:

Others will suggest other bikes are great to learn on.

Bottom line she must be comfortable on that bike that she is gonna buy and ride.

Someone to teach her the basics....... happy to pop around and teach her that. Been helping 'Julie' out at the moment. Plus over xmas, I'm getting 'Scorpygirl' back onto her bike again.

Lou Girardin
6th December 2006, 06:01
Don't do it!
That's twice as much bike bling to buy.
Or, alternatively, half as much for you.

magicfairy
6th December 2006, 07:36
As a pillion for years (on the back of a Busa) now riding my own bike here is my 2 cents.

Make sure the bike you get is easy for her to handle, reach the ground on, and won't be too expensive to fix if she has the inevitible wee incident.

Have her go a professional to do "Learn to Ride" and "Basic Handling skills" course, teaching her yourself may not be good for your relationship.

Show lots of patience and don't expect too much too soon. It is easy to forget how new and scary riding a bike can be, even 70k can feel really fast to a new rider!

Try to resist the temptation to tell her all that she is doing wrong after each outing. What she will need is encouragement and confidence building. As a long time pillion she will know what feels right and wrong - it is just the body doesn't seem to be making the bike do the things you want it to do. That only comes with time and practice.

DO NOT try and make her ride faster and keep up with you because you are finding it frustrating going slowly. That will only lead to her riding beyond her abilities and making mistakes. If it is all too much, ride on ahead and arrange to meet somewhere, so she can do her own thing without any pressure.

And be aware that once your pillion has her own bike she will be less likely to want to get on the back of yours. You may find you have to compromise. No more popping her on the back and going for it.

We alternate - really long trips (like around the Sth Island in a week) I went pillion so we could do the big Ks at high speeds. But smaller trips - like rallies, BusaJim just has to go at my speed. Or race on ahead then wait.

Sometimes we head off in different directions, or at different times, and just arrange to meet somewhere for lunch.

None of these are perfect solutions, ideally I would ride as fast and as well as him but that is probably never going to happen (I am a big Nana) but in the interests of our relationship we both give a little to try and find a happy medium.

klingon
6th December 2006, 14:25
All good advice, magicfairy.

Big Dog, as you may guess from my user name, I'm also a pillion. A couple of weeks ago I bought my own bike, and am at the Absolute Beginner stage. I totally agree with your idea that you are not the right person to teach her to ride! You're also not the right person to watch her learn to ride, or to give her any advice on her riding UNLESS SHE SPECIFICALLY ASKS YOU TO.

I got on the 'front seat' of a bike for the first time under the guideance of Lee Rusty - he's a profesional instructor and a KB member. (He's a good, patient teacher but is obviously not a woman.) I recommend him as a teacher.

If your Former Pillion [name?] chooses a certified instructor, she can have her first riding lesson and by the end of the day she can have her Basic Handling Certificate. A very good feeling of achievement!

My best tip: get her to join KB, log in here and have a chat with some of us. We would be thrilled to help. :)

Big Dog
6th December 2006, 21:13
For a start.........
she is a bit tall for most gn250's, wants a sport style, seems pretty keen on a Hyusong GTR250 and has her eye on the 'bus when she finishes her apprenticeship.
If I still have one when she's ready she can have it.
I am never teaching another partner to ride or drive as long as I live.
I have taught many people over the years no issue but lost my nerve the last 2 times I tried to teach a partner even in a car.
Besides she never listens to me about anything that does not have a keyboard.

Plan according to me is that we will get a rideable wreck to get her to relearn the mechanics of riding (Brakes stop you, right hand and left hand have to work together to get you to go forward.) in case she needs to drop it a few times.
She road a few bikes as a teenager but seems to have lost the knack / nerve.

Big Dog
6th December 2006, 21:23
My best tip: get her to join KB, log in here and have a chat with some of us. We would be thrilled to help. :)
Except she is already a member, just has not posted in a long time..... and this is supposed to be a surprise.
I asked her what she wants for Christmas. She said riding lessons without hesitation.
She thinks I can't afford it and that she is going to get something girly.
She is probably right about can't afford, but she already has the gear and instructions to buy a bike with her bonus.
Figure I'll give her a prepaid booking to keep her motivated until then.

So secret squirrel till then eh?

Big Dog
6th December 2006, 21:26
Don't do it!
That's twice as much bike bling to buy.
Or, alternatively, half as much for you.
Or she earns more than me and she will let me spend more of my money on biking stuff if she is spending hers too.
All about how you wanna look at it.
The purchase of the 'bus was preceeded by the proclamation "you better not come home without it!"

RC1
6th December 2006, 21:28
maybe try crashe, she has been helping my sister out (julie ) with tips etc she also out west

Big Dog
6th December 2006, 21:35
awww... well cheers weasel for clearing that one up.... :dodge:
If it is really that important to the juvenile males frequenting biker angels......

Younger than Britney Spears, older than the public internet.
I'm not stupid enough to actually give a womans age.:shutup:
And any way :whocares: I got over the age gap a long time ago.

If it is really that important to the juvenile males frequenting biker angels......

I'm not juvenile, I'm just horny.

Disco Danni on the other hand, he's just a perv...

McJim
6th December 2006, 22:03
Get her a one day course for her basic handling skills and then get in touch with a Mentor through KB. Also get her enrolled in the RRRS course - it'll be the best $50 she ever spends (price was current at time of writing!).

The other thing, rather than just lessons, is experience so she'll be welcome to join us on the 250cc rides that we have every 2nd weekend (next one 16th Dec..a bit too soon maybe but the runs are there) my wife just attended her first run and loved it.

Al the best and congrats on making the decision to become a 2 bike couple!

Blondini
6th December 2006, 22:07
Tell her to just go for it.I have done just that,I love being pillion,but after being told riding one is 100x better I just went for it.I got lessons,basic handling and learners licence in under four hours and it cost $240.Then I bought a fxr150 (my baby big bike)and I am practicing with a little help from crashe and my own hmmmmmm Gumption came to mind .:yes: I am out west we can learn together

Big Dog
6th December 2006, 22:18
I got lessons,basic handling and learners licence in under four hours and it cost $240.
Ah yes the meat of my question (unless anyone has a free for removal bike suitable for learning to use a clutch:dodge: ).
Where do you do that?

I would prefer to support a tutor on KB but this is what I want to know most.

klingon
7th December 2006, 11:05
Except she is already a member, just has not posted in a long time..... and this is supposed to be a surprise.
I asked her what she wants for Christmas. She said riding lessons without hesitation.
She thinks I can't afford it and that she is going to get something girly.
She is probably right about can't afford, but she already has the gear and instructions to buy a bike with her bonus.
Figure I'll give her a prepaid booking to keep her motivated until then.

So secret squirrel till then eh?

Great surprise! :D Ok I'll whisper from now on in case she hears me.... :shutup:

I think the PERFECT prezzie would be everything she needs to get her learner's license. An afternoon of lessons, the Basic Handling Cert and theory test. Then when she gets her bike she'll be ready to hop on and ride!

One of the big advantages of being a pillion is that you already have the gear, so that doesn't need to be added into the budget.

Also as she has ridden before she will probably only need a few hours of training - just to get her confidence back and remind her what it feels like to be in charge of the bike.

I think there is a $80 charge for the Basic Handling Cert (this is set by LTNZ so it will apply wherever she learns to ride) and another $80 for the Learner's theory test, which she will need to do at an LTNZ agent. (She needs to take her Basic Handling Cert with her when she makes the appointment for that.)

oooo oooo now I'm excited for her! You could put the appointment card for the training into a gift-wrapped copy of the Road Code for Motorcyclists. She'll think that's all you got her for Xmas until the card falls out! :D

Keystone19
7th December 2006, 11:10
http://www.passrite.co.nz/courses/cycles/cycles.asp

Lteejay
7th December 2006, 11:42

I've heard passrite are reasonably priced, but not that wonderful. I went with John Wright an older guy with all the patience in the world. It cost a bit more ($205 about 2mths ago) but he spends 3 hrs with you and 3 other people. He provides the bikes and helmets.

http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/training.asp

ManDownUnder
7th December 2006, 11:48

Yeah - heard good things about them.

After that, get her into the mentor side of things in KB. Female mentor best, local (and no Jill - I'm not setting you up...). Get her out on a few rides over Summer then take things from there.

If she's anything like my good lady friend... advise from me would be 1/2 digested and 1/2 contested... which is ok for most things... unless it's lifesaving stuff.

Blondini
7th December 2006, 11:53
Ah yes the meat of my question (unless anyone has a free for removal bike suitable for learning to use a clutch:dodge: ).
Where do you do that?

I would prefer to support a tutor on KB but this is what I want to know most.

Sorry my bad.....:yes: Passrite in penrose,they provide the bike for the lessons and basic handling,then it's up to her...PM me if I can be more assistance.

NighthawkNZ
7th December 2006, 18:39
Patience will go a long way (but thats already been said)

All good advise given in this thread grat stuff...

Don't always point out what she is doing wrong (unless it is obvious and dangerous) , show patience here...

Always point out what she is doing right... build that confidence.

Big Dog
7th December 2006, 20:02
oooo oooo now I'm excited for her! You could put the appointment card for the training into a gift-wrapped copy of the Road Code for Motorcyclists. She'll think that's all you got her for Xmas until the card falls out! :D
Already got her a road code for out of town reading material last time we were holiday together.
Got her a "Bikers bible"when I bought her gear.
Every year her present is a different shape than the actual gift.
This year I bought My present and told her to buy hers.
When she does I'll re wrap it with a wee secret inside....::shutup:

klingon
26th December 2006, 18:03
Soooooo Big Dog.... do we have another newbie learner biker ready to join the gang?

Big Dog
26th December 2006, 20:51
Soooooo Big Dog.... do we have another newbie learner biker ready to join the gang?

Gave her one of the packages from Passrite to get her some lessons and her Basic Handling skills cert.
She is booked for the 12/01/07.
The rest is up to her.
For her birthday (in 2 months) I will probably buy her some road lessons.

Right now she wants to borrow someones scooter to go for a ride to practice her balance before her big day.

Now that it is not a secret her user handle on here is Training Wheels.

white belt
27th December 2006, 07:37
Hope she loved your gift.

Look forward to meeting her at the mentor's ride soon. If she has riden before as a teenager, I am sure that it won't take long to get the basics again.

Wishing you both a good new year.:Punk:

When she is up to it, she can ride my Hyosung to see if she likes it.

Blondini
30th December 2006, 21:39
AHHHH what a cool gift..We will see her on the 10th then?lol:innocent: I would like to meet her and maybe go for little cruises up the old north road...great for practice I hear And so much fun:yes:

Big Dog
31st December 2006, 18:52
Alas she is booked for the 12th. Still twisting her arm to come along this time even if it is her last go at being a pillion:dodge:

She's a pretty good pillion if you think anyone needs advise from a peer on that.

Big Dog
13th January 2007, 15:40
Well "Training Wheels" just passed her learners and is now duly authorised by the LTSA to risk life and limb learning the delicate art of Staying alive on our poorly maintained public roads......
God help us all.
:scooter: :ride: :scooter: :ride: :scooter: :ride: :scooter: :ride: :scooter: :ride:

Big Dog
13th January 2007, 15:44
Oh and for those that wanted to know who we are talking about www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=496

Blondini
13th January 2007, 17:21
Cool good on her:yes: So we will see her wed then:rockon:

Big Dog
5th March 2007, 21:57
Training wheels finally got herself a learner bike, courtesy of another KB'r selling a family treasure.

She is doing pretty well at narrowing the chicken strips on it, and should soon be able to make it to one of the AWMNR events. She went on the road for the first time yesterday after 2 hours of grueling emergency stops and lazy eights.

A bit wobbly but no one was born able to compete with Valentino Rossi.

I'm pretty sure I looked a sight, riding it home for her I could not help singing to myself "Born to be mild"in by rocker style leather jacket.

Certainly gained a lot of stares, especially when I blasted (or should I say farted) past a line of traffic on the Kumeu uphill right hander double lanes.
Well I was not sure it would make it up the hill with me on it so I had it pinned all the way to the stops all the way down the lead in and back up the other side, foot pegs dragging through the transition.

Perfect learner bike. Not too much power but still fun enough to have a laugh on.

Nasty
6th March 2007, 01:28
Ain't it great that when we are learning the experienced riders get to ride our bikes home .. hehehe .. I used to drive the car home behind the Grub while he took the fxr from where I learnt back t othe garage .. was fun ...

I hope that Training wheels is enjoying learning ... and being on her own bike ;)

Big Dog
13th August 2007, 01:29
Believe me shes loving it.....:love: Thank you Baby (BD) xx