PDA

View Full Version : What should my new bike be?

Antallica
27th May 2003, 19:47
Hey guys,

Well I hate to want to do this but it's time to give my Suzuki FXR150 the flick. I hate doing the constant 'higher than normal' revs just to keep at cruising speed when travelling. Besides, this bike is a little unstable when compared to other bikes.

I want to grab myself a nice 250cc beast... my mate has a beauty of an '89 Yamaha FZR250... man does that thing have power.

What do you guys suggest I should get for my next upgrade? I would love a Yamaha but anythings goodas long as it looks good and preforms well. :D

*edited* Yeah well so I won't be beating a 400cc anytime soon :p

bluninja
27th May 2003, 19:58
Aprilia RSVR:niceone:

Or perhaps an SV650S. Nice and light, lots of torque, very nippy through the corners.

TTFN

Redstar
27th May 2003, 20:13
by the sounds of it you aint got your licence yet? therefore if you want to beat a 400? you have two choices.
Aprilla rsv if you have 12k in the bank? guess not or an outside chance an RGV two stroke but they have all been thrashed to hell.
so no you aint a shit show till you pass your test mate

Antallica
27th May 2003, 21:17
I have my L(osers) License... August I can get my R.

Ok I'm going to say that I am going to spend $4,500 on an upgrade..... if I can find one that looks half decent on bikepoint.. man most of those bikes there look damn shocking. I would love a Ducati or Aprillia but $12k second hand for the Aprillia.. I think not :p

I'm a picky bastard.

Motoracer
27th May 2003, 21:47
You should be able to pick up a nice CBR 250 for that kind of price. And it should out handle and out power your mate's FZR. On the other hand if you don't want that race bike type of feel to your 250 then the GSXR 250 can be picked up for a grand less with nearly as much power and handeling capabilities.

If I was you, I would probably look around for a FZR as well.:cool:

Antallica
28th May 2003, 06:49
Yeah I'll probably be leaning towards a FZR or CBR.. was going through my Motocycle Trader and there were a few nice CBR's in there.

GSXR would be nice but I don't like the look, it just isn't my style.

SPman
28th May 2003, 07:32
You need a nice little GN 250, you do :p:p:eek::D

What?
28th May 2003, 09:48
Stay away from the 2-strokes, unless you are an experienced rider, Antallica. After that, your new bike should be comfortable to ride and be what YOU want, not what someone else thinks you want or need. Oh, and it should have one wheel at each end.:D

bluninja
28th May 2003, 11:10
2 Strokes for experienced riders? I learnt on a 2 -stroke:(

TTFN

Dave
28th May 2003, 11:34
The mighty nifty fifty is a two stroke.

Coldkiwi
28th May 2003, 12:37
I've got a black ZXR 250 in very nice condition for sale Antallica. $2,700 and goes like stink :)

It is often mistaken by people (including bikers) for a 400,600 or even 900!! Definitely a head turner.

theres a post in the trader section if you're interested

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/kbtrader.php?s=&action=getall&what=&ltr=&perpage=6 &orderby=date&title=&description=&locatoin=&direct ion=DESC&sellbuy=sell&pagenumber=2

bikerboy
28th May 2003, 13:07
:o Coldkiwi, does the ad mention you're going to smack the new owner if they scratch your paint work? :D

What's the deal with 2 strokes? There seems to be conflicting advice ; good/bad for beginners. They race them don't they? so they must be quick, are they a handful for a novice?:argh:

Decisions decisions, antallica good luck.

Antallica
28th May 2003, 14:01
Sweet Coldkiwi... I'll give you a yell in a few months... I'll have to get some cash together to get it. Hope you'll still have it then.

If not well then a CBR will have to do me.

Just wondering, what kinda payment deal could you do for me? I got my FXR for $2,3k and I should hopefully get a bit more for it when I sell.

Hoon
28th May 2003, 17:17
If I were you I would live with the 150 or buy the cheapest 250 I could find and save the rest of my cash for a real bike once I get a full license.  I wouldn't spend any more than say $2500 - maybe get a pre-crashed bike as you will probably be adding to the scrapes and dings anyway. 

Coldkiwis ZXR sounds ideal!

Antallica
28th May 2003, 19:59
Originally posted by HO-Hoon
If I were you I would live with the 150 or buy the cheapest 250 I could find and save the rest of my cash for a real bike once I get a full license.  I wouldn't spend any more than say $2500 - maybe get a pre-crashed bike as you will probably be adding to the scrapes and dings anyway. 

Now that old lady cut ME off I tell's ye.... ;)

Hey man, I'm not that crap of a driver! :p
Good advice on the saving bit though.... might have to.

Andrew
28th May 2003, 20:43
I'm in a similar position, I've been on my restriced for about three weeks now and am or have been thinking about a new bike for a while. What I am looking for is something that looks big and has got some weight to it. My current bike (RGV150) has got about 90% of the power that i ever want in a bike (for now)since i'm commuting most of the time. However it isn't so nice going on the Harbour bridge in windy conditions, so weight to me is an important factor in my next bike. So i don't know whether to sell my bike for maybe $1.7k and get a 250 cbr, fzr etc now for say $3-3.5k. Or wait a year, get my full and get a 400. decisions decisions. :)

babyB
28th May 2003, 21:06
hay Andrew. IMO wait till ya get your full, then you can get what suits your requirements and more choice too. you may find that in 12mths that the 250 is not enough especally if you want to see the country on it. way up the cost factor, ie going from 150 to 250 to say 400+ or 150 to 400+.  but hay the choice is yours to make. (i never owned a bike under a 400):o

aff-man
29th May 2003, 10:01
Well i was in the pickel as well get rid of the honda hunk of shit or redo it a bit and wait till i get my full at the end of the year. After a bit of rasearch i found that because of the need for 250's due to learner and restricted restrictions they are a lot dearer than 400's or even a cople of older 600's. I decided to do a bit of work on my bike ride it till the end of the year and then upgrande to either a vfr400 or cbr400rr for the same price if not cheaper than thier 250 counterpart . Hey kk how is the vrf treating you:D :D

What?
29th May 2003, 10:02
Originally posted by bluninja
I learnt on a 2 -stroke

So did I. But RGV250's hadn't even been dreamed of back then.

Has anyone noticed the stupidity of the law that allows a learner to ride something like an RGV, but not, say, an SR500?

Antallica
29th May 2003, 10:20
So what's better then, my 4 stroke FXR150 or the 2 stroke RGV150?

2 stroke has the powerband eh?

bikerboy
29th May 2003, 10:46
Affman is rigth about prices. In my looking around I found that most 400-600's are the same price as a decent 250 sport.

Although the decent 250's like rgv's have the same amount of power and handling generally and are a lot more bike than a standard 250.

You may find that a rgv250 etc keeps you amused until your ready for a bigger jump than the usual 400, say going to a 600 or even 750. Those bikes will certainly give you the skill base to jump up.

I think most people get a basic 250 then go on to 400's and then on up as they feel confident. However these slick 250's like the rgv, rs250, etc. are really learner legal 400's in desguise. From discussions I've had with people who've had them they skipped the 400 stage when up grading.

More thoughts to consider, after all a rgv 250/rs250 can be enjoyed now and for longer.

:cool:

What?
29th May 2003, 11:04
Originally posted by Antallica
2 stroke has the powerband eh?

Not, really - you just feel it more. 2-strokes generally produce more peak power than a similarly sized 4-stroke, but this power tends to be compressed into a much narrower powerband. You really need to see a few dyno graphs to get a good handle on this, but the guts of it is that the best spread of usable power (the "power band") is between the engine speed where maximum torque occurs and the engine speed where maximum horsepower occurs. It is normal for torque to peak at lower revs than does horsepower. On 2-strokes, these two engine speeds are often not far apart, whereas on a 4-stroke they tend to be much further apart, givng you a broader spread of usable power. The Yanks love printing this sort of stuff in road tests - Cycle World magazine is probably the most graphic.

So what is better - the FXR or RGV? It depends on what you want. Do you like having to keep the engine spinning between (I am guessing here, OK?) 9000 and 12000 rpm to make sensible progress, or do you like having usable power on tap between (guessing again) 4,000 and 9,000 rpm? And what do you use the bike for? It is very much a case of "horses for courses".

Confused? Take an RGV150 for a test ride.:done:

Antallica
29th May 2003, 18:47
Oh but the RGV's look so crappy.... I'm offended whenever I see one.

What?
30th May 2003, 10:12
Which brings us right back to my previous posting - buy what suits you, what you like the look and feel of. Just don't be in a hurry, or you could end up forking out loads of dosh for something you don't want, then find you'll lose heaps when selling again.

Looks can be a bit subjective, though. I ride (amongst others) a BMW F650. Now, when I first saw it, I thought "Kin'ell, that's ugly". Then I rode it, and suddenly looks weren't quite so important. Now I don't think it looks so bad. 110,000 K's later and I still have no intention of trading it. In the same time, I have hardly ridden my beautiful looking (to me) CB1100. Fact is, it is not as good to ride as the BM.

The best advice I can give you, is 1/ Take your time, and 2/ Take plenty of test rides.:niceone:

andy1
30th May 2003, 12:01
the cbr 250 is a good bike i did about 350 to 450k a weekend on mine, the only problem they cost a shit load for a good one.
i reackon get a 400 cbr or zxr and blast the twisties.
maybe u just ride round town any bike is good for that as long as it's not a peice of shit.
i would blast the tiwsties every weekend with bigger bikes no problem keeping up just the straights is a bitch.
some cops let you off if u are riding a 400 on a learners, well i know a couple of people that have.

And 2 strokes they are cheap, fast, and weigh nothing.
but blow up easy if u dont know the past of the bike.
sometimes piston hitting side of cylinder or fucked rings.
i love 2 strokes, they are fucken loud as, and if u have pipes on it, wow!
u can wake up the neighbour hood in the morning!!
sorry suburb.
just make sure u get a good buy.

Racey Rider
30th May 2003, 23:37
Originally posted by Antallica
Oh but the RGV's look so crappy.... I'm offended whenever I see one.

I agree! Thats why I brought the RG150.
Suzuki took a step backwards when they replaced this one with the RGV150. The RG is water cooled, full flareing, mag wheels, disk brakes both ends. The RGV is air cooled, quarter flaring, spoked wheels, Yuk! (:Puke: - won't work Ed!)

I recently brought a 98 RG150, in great condition, less than 6000kms on the clock, for $2000. I love it! :bigthumb:
Good points: Looks great (for the money), Good power to weight ratio, great brakes, so light you can just fick it around where ever you want it to go.
Bad points: Not good for slow rideing around town, (my bike just won't go that slow officer! :no: )
It's a bit of a sad sound when your stopped at the lights and the cages around you hear this,, putt,putt,putt,putt.
But just treat every traffic light stop as a race start and your soon forget about that. :niceone:

My bike background, (for road bikes) is: RZ250 twin/cyl 2 stroke, VF750 4/cyl 4 stroke, GPZ400 twin/cyl 4 stroke, and now a KR1 twin/cyl 2 stroke to race and the RG150.

Yes buy a RGV250 if you have more money. Yes with the RG150 you have to rev it 8000rpm before it starts getting any power out of it. But its a fun bike to ride fast! You all should try one;)

Antallica
31st May 2003, 07:39
Yeah mine has to hit about 7,000 before I will get a huge increase in power.

Heh it's DOHC ... I wanted a VTec :( ;)

Coldkiwi
31st May 2003, 11:04
nah.. you want a 600 :)

I'm easy to please... I just want blu's RSV!.. or maybe this years RSV R... I could live with that! *dreams*

truth be told. if you're after a whole lotta mumbo from a bike, you're not going to be really satisfied with anything thats a 250cc.

I personally think its best to use your time on the smaller bikes to get yourself trained into good habits and good road handling skills so that you can use the small cc bike to the best of its abilities. I think trading up to a bigger cc bike before you can really utilise the potential of a small cc bike is sorta asking for trouble (kinda like giving a kitchenhand a 30cm razor sharp carving knife to use when he's had trouble just using a pairing knife).

my recommendation: go out to pukekohe for  a track day or testing day (plenty of info on those here) and do some laps. you'll probably surprise yourself with how much performance you have (if you haven't been before) in that FXR.

ok.. i'm gonna do some work now (that is, after all, why i came into work on a saturday!)

Racey Rider
31st May 2003, 13:13
Here's a good looking RGV250 for $2500.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=4128256
auction closes on Wed.

bikerboy
31st May 2003, 15:04
I think I saw that Bike on the Kiwi Biker trader link. Looks good!

Antallica
20th June 2003, 06:50
Hey ColdKiwi.... would you be willing to trade your FZR250 for my FXR150? Is it still for sale?

They usually fetch $3.5k I've noticed.... just wondering.

mightyjoeyoung
20th June 2003, 11:20
have a look at this

http://exilecycles.com/images/fat_bloke_left600.jpg

exilecycles.com

Coldkiwi
20th June 2003, 17:47
trade?? not really... I'm trying to get rid of the bike not replace it.  Although, go pinch Blu's RSV R and then I'll trade all ya want! (just kidding Simon!):)

if you want to trade, Kwaka kid is the man for collecting more bikes than he knows what to do with!

Yeah, it's still for sale.. i'm actually going to get my arse into gear and advertise it properly soon

Antallica
22nd June 2003, 19:17
Ok, I'll put my ride up for sale and see what I can pull off.

Let you know

I could get this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Cars-Boats-Motorbikes/Motorbikes/auction-4386903.htm) ;)

Coldkiwi
23rd June 2003, 13:02
now yer talking!

bluninja
23rd June 2003, 13:55
Oi!!! Now leave Gina out of this. I know guys like to pinch gorgeous Italians, but this aint europe:D

TTFN

Coldkiwi
23rd June 2003, 17:31
dodgy dodgy poms...

I'm surprised Blu.. we haven't heard a peep out of you about the rugby!

Coldkiwi
23rd June 2003, 17:35
oooh... you meant me suggesting nicking your RSV R!!

hehe.. i thought you were talking about Antallica 'putting his ride up for sale'

:Oops:

It appears I am in fact the dodgy one

*goes to hide*

bikerboy
23rd June 2003, 18:06
HEY CK, just what does rugby have to do with online trading???:D :D :D

Dave
24th June 2003, 11:41
Ha ha, I bet the poms dodgey trading with the ref back fired when they their players got sent off the field.

bluninja
24th June 2003, 12:18
I once walked into a changing room after a match as one player was brandishing a 10 UK pound note, saying I bet the ref is off spending his money from the other team. I just said it was customary to bribe the ref BEFORE the game, and watched his face drop (I was the ref:gob: ). As for the english team, what can I say, bloody good professional performance....best bit was the whinging from that retired donkey of a winger Campese. You know England are doing well when he starts to sledge. But it's the world cup that counts, and that will be interesting. I hope England make the final and against somebody other than Oz or the ABs.....only chance I will have to get tickets for the final.

Now back to bikes......ahem:o

TTFN

bikerboy
24th June 2003, 18:57
:Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic: :Offtopic:

Antallica
24th June 2003, 20:46
mmm yes ;)

Dave
25th June 2003, 10:32
Oh sorry, Your new bike- I've got a 1981 A100 that i run on 10% nitromethane.I've had to jet it quite rich now but it goes really good.I think you should do the same.

750Y
25th June 2003, 11:56
dam mighty Joe Young, that bike You posted above is awesome.
I love custom bikes, I think they're the nicest looking bikes out. far better to eyeball than the plastic fantastic race replica clones with the go fast paint jobs.

BMWST?
8th April 2014, 12:07
2 Strokes for experienced riders? I learnt on a 2 -stroke:(

TTFN

Yes leber does awesome night time pics

bluninja
8th April 2014, 14:06
Yes leber does awesome night time pics

Is this one of the weirdest off topic 10 year old thread dredges or a reply put in the wrong thread?

BMWST?
8th April 2014, 14:07
Is this one of the weirdest off topic 10 year old thread dredges or a reply put in the wrong thread?

Eh? The latter