PDA

View Full Version : Hazard Lights on a BMW K100RS

Clive
6th December 2006, 14:20
You may already know this, but then you may have led as sheltered a life as I obviously have, but after 8 years of owning my '86 BMW K100RS, the other day I learnt from the web that there's a quick, simple and inexpensive way to add hazard lights to it!

I was gob-smacked to find out that BMW added all the necessary wiring and relay at manufacture, but then left off the switch. Why, I can only imagine has something to do with hazards maybe being illegal in some world markets - but that's just a guess.

Anyway, the bottom line is that all you need to add hazards to your machine is to get a switch, a length of 2-core cable and a 3-pin plug, and voila. What I couldn't find out from the web, was what configuration of wiring was necessary, but having spent £20 I now know that it's nothing more complex than an on/off switch.

I know that the K100RS is pretty old hat nowadays, and that there may not be that many around (although it's often surprising how many are still just plodding along quite happily after 20 years). But, if my bit of new knowledge can bring a little ray of happiness to any owners, and add a bit of new sparkle to their aging Beemer, then just let me know and I'll provide the low-down on how to go about it. Oh, and apparently, this applies to any K-Series Beemer, not just the K100RS.

And finally, what really puts a smile on my face is that I've found yet another feature of my 20 year old bike that still cuts the mustard today. Now, how many modern bikes come with hazards as a stock item? My Blackbird certainly didn't!

davereid
6th December 2006, 14:27
hehe my TGB Scooter has hazard lights an so does my Hogley.. the TGB needs em cos its so slow, the harley needs em in case it breaks down, but my yammy doesnt need em..

Ixion
6th December 2006, 14:46
Uh, the come wired as standard. Or did by '94. Second switch from the lefton the 4 switch panel. Maybe yours was removed by an earlier owner ?

Blackbird
6th December 2006, 14:51
Uh, the come wired as standard. Or did by '94. Second switch from the lefton the 4 switch panel. Maybe yours was removed by an earlier owner ?

My K100RS was the same age as Clive's and certainly didn't come with hazards - must have been a later upgrade then. Nice one Clive. And when will NZ be graced with your presence again and that of the gorgeous Kit?

Clive
7th December 2006, 11:13
Would just love to come over again and use up all your spare leave, and have Kit along to meet you both, but come January I'm having the 5 implants done, to give me my smile back, aftering loosing my teeth binning my work bike that time 3 years ago. And at nearly a grand an implant, I think money's going to be a bit scarce for a while! Maybe 2008.

And yes, hazards didn't come as a functional standard on the K-Series until the back end of the '80s, or even maybe into the '90s. What I didn't know, until recently, that the early models were equipped for it, barring the switch! Speaking of which, I'd really love to know why the switch wasn't fitted as standard!!!

Oh, and Davereid; we're talking bikes here!

imdying
7th December 2006, 12:05
+1 on the SV1000 coming with hazard lights. Handy when one of the boys bins it...

davereid
7th December 2006, 15:03
Yeah Clive, I know them K100s is motorbikes, cos I see them in my rear view mirror. They are like diminishing dots... but I can see em ! :innocent:

-----> Yamaha Mirror Sticker : WARNING : BMWs in the rear view mirror really are as far behind as they look.

Blackbird
7th December 2006, 15:32
Yeah Clive, I know them K100s is motorbikes, cos I see them in my rear view mirror. They are like diminishing dots... but I can see em ! :innocent:

-----> Yamaha Mirror Sticker : WARNING : BMWs in the rear view mirror really are as far behind as they look.

You have a Harley that has mirrors that don't vibrate off?:innocent:

geoffm
7th December 2006, 18:51
my 1991 (or 93 - depends which bit...) K100Rs-16v has them as standard.
Geoff

Clive
8th December 2006, 00:28
Geoffm: Yeah, I think they probably came in with the 16v engine, but were never fitted to the 8v.

OK Davereid, sorry mate, at least you're on two wheels. But even then, I'm not sure I quite believe you:innocent: