PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - Private Folder question

Cajun
6th December 2006, 16:43
Hi guys, simple question

Friends windows dead, so trying to copy files off it, before format reinstall.

Problem is when go in to doc and settings, can't access the folder says 'access denied'

the hdd is attached to my desktop via a usb hdd drive. I know you can normally unlock them by the machine with xp install, but xp is toast.

Anyone got any ideas.

Cajun
6th December 2006, 16:46
forget th at i remembed how i do it now

sAsLEX
6th December 2006, 16:56
Why not put up how to do it so a search to this thread provides decent info?!

Colapop
6th December 2006, 17:11
Anyone know how to easily get rid of these stupid pop-up windows telling me that my PC is infected and I need to go to registry cleaner...
I have Anti-virus (AVG Professional) software so I know it's not a virus. I am running Windows XP professional.

Cajun
6th December 2006, 17:14
How to get rid of private folder secuirty problems,

right click -> properties -> secuirty -> advance -> owner -> give ogin owner status (remeber to click replace owner on subcontainers and objects) -> APPLY (not wait and your all done)

Cajun
6th December 2006, 17:15
Anyone know how to easily get rid of these stupid pop-up windows telling me that my PC is infected and I need to go to registry cleaner...
I have Anti-virus (AVG Professional) software so I know it's not a virus. I am running Windows XP professional.

install spybot, even try avg anyspyware type program

and also use firefox instead of Internet Explorer

Disco Dan
6th December 2006, 17:16
Buy yourself a MAC and never have problems again! :rockon:

Seriously, if you connect the drive to a mac you will be able to access all the files on the drive. You can even copy the corupt XP files from your cd onto the drive.. so you can boot the computer again.

it's just XP's rather silly protection system...

SPman
6th December 2006, 17:17
Ummm - you've got the virus that puts a little pop up window thingy in your registry to say you've got a virus and please go and get XYZ program...

Often found on pron sites..........:yes:

Can't remember how I got rid of mine.........

otherwise - what cajun said.

bell
6th December 2006, 17:18
install spybot, even try avg anyspyware type program
and also use firefox instead of Internet Explorer

If you're unsure about firefox then PM me and I'll give you some tips.

Colapop
6th December 2006, 17:24
I've been using Firefox for some time and I like it. Once one of these pop-ups occur I'll save a copy and post it so you/s can see... and lo here it is...

Haven't serfed pron on this PC - only just got it running the otrher evening (thanks to R)

WarlockNZ
6th December 2006, 17:27
I've been using Firefox for some time and I like it. Once one of these pop-ups occur I'll save a copy and post it so you/s can see...

Haven't serfed pron on this PC - only just got it running the otrher evening (thanks to R)

If you running firefox grab the adblock addon .. if you still get popups i would say that you have a nasty case of adware/malware on your system.

Colapop
6th December 2006, 17:34
But AVG was the first I went to on the net after I got the OS installed.

pervert
6th December 2006, 17:35
That registry pop-up is basic adware/malware. These type of things are not virus related at all.

Install and run Spybot and Ad-Aware and between them they get rid of nearly all spyware related problems. Make sure you update them both after install as well.

WarlockNZ
6th December 2006, 17:48
That registry pop-up is basic adware/malware. These type of things are not virus related at all.

Install and run Spybot and Ad-Aware and between them they get rid of nearly all spyware related problems. Make sure you update them both after install as well.

What he said ... lol .. make sure you install adblock plus and the filterset for firefox as well.

Hillbilly
6th December 2006, 19:16

That's syware!! You'll need to use something like Ad-Aware or Spy-Bot Search and Destroy. Note that the windoze version does NOT detect data mining cookies!!

Colapop
6th December 2006, 19:43
I've got Ad Aware SE now and running it. Got 50 bits of shit. Hopefully the bits that are pissing me off.

pervert
6th December 2006, 19:52
Make sure to use Spybot as well, Ad-Aware on it's own doesn't get absolutely everything you would be better off without.

Colapop
6th December 2006, 20:07
Yeah I'll get it now coz the f*cken things aren't gone yet.

pervert
6th December 2006, 20:17
Some of them are really tricky, but I've fixed a very similar one to yours using Spybot.

If you still don't have any luck then search google for keywords like the messages you are receiving and see if anyone else has had the exact same issue.

This usually leads to a solution although it can get to the point when some technical knowledge is required to remove them, the basic scanners aren't always 100% successful.

davereid
6th December 2006, 20:42
I bet you all have some spyware on your PC you havent spotted. Open cookies and look for IMRWORLDWIDE.COM - Cookies are IMRID and V5. These cookies are placed there by imrworldwide, part of AC NEILSEN N.Z. to track your surfing. Imrworldwide place them on behalf of your internet banking site, trademe, your online newspaper etc etc. (If your bank really wanted just to know how many times you visited their site they could place the cookie themselves. But by having imrworldwide do it, they can trace you before and after you leave their site.)

P.S. imrworldwide are aware that somepeople restrict cookies. So they also place a 1x1 clear pixel on all pages they are involved with. So your browser is forced to request this pixel from imrworldwides server. You cant see it, but it gives imrworldwide info on .. your pc, your browser, the referring page (ie where you last were) and your IP address so they can track you as you surf.

Why not email your bank and ask them why they need to spy on you ?

riffer
6th December 2006, 21:14
Jeez Col, how the hell did you infect that PC in TWO days?

I use Zone Alarm Pro for a firewall on this laptop. Keeps me safe.

And Avg, Spybot, Adaware.

No problems on my mac or my ubuntu box though.

pervert
6th December 2006, 21:24
I bet you all have some spyware on your PC you havent spotted. Open cookies and look for IMRWORLDWIDE.COM - Cookies are IMRID and V5. These cookies are placed there by imrworldwide, part of AC NEILSEN N.Z. to track your surfing. Imrworldwide place them on behalf of your internet banking site, trademe, your online newspaper etc etc. (If your bank really wanted just to know how many times you visited their site they could place the cookie themselves. But by having imrworldwide do it, they can trace you before and after you leave their site.)

P.S. imrworldwide are aware that somepeople restrict cookies. So they also place a 1x1 clear pixel on all pages they are involved with. So your browser is forced to request this pixel from imrworldwides server. You cant see it, but it gives imrworldwide info on .. your pc, your browser, the referring page (ie where you last were) and your IP address so they can track you as you surf.

Are they aware some people monitor and delete cookies accordingly?

Wellyman
6th December 2006, 21:30
Avast Anti-Virus, Ashampoo Firewall
I would reccomend these two to all newbies. I use these on my main PC, and use C.O.M.O.D.O firewall and Avast anti virus on my server.
WM

Flyingpony
7th December 2006, 07:59
I've been using Firefox for some time and I like it. Once one of these pop-ups occur I'll save a copy and post it so you/s can see... and lo here it is...
To me, that popup looks to be related to the 'Messenger' service from the services control panel. Turn it off, you don't need that one because that service is intended for computers who are company networked.

What's happening is that instead of sending spam emails, these companies are targeting random IP addresses with Messenger pop up messages. Turn the service off and it stops. Are you running a firewall because that should stop them entering in the first place.

My 2c.

davereid
7th December 2006, 08:25
Hi pervert, yep they know people delete cookies, thats why they use web beacons as well - 1x1 clear pixels.

Ixion
7th December 2006, 08:37
Of course, SOME miserable sods might put in a firewall rule to block such beaconing sites :innocent:

pervert
7th December 2006, 08:42
To me, that popup looks to be related to the 'Messenger' service from the services control panel. Turn it off, you don't need that one because that service is intended for computers who are company networked.

What's happening is that instead of sending spam emails, these companies are targeting random IP addresses with Messenger pop up messages. Turn the service off and it stops. Are you running a firewall because that should stop them entering in the first place.

My 2c.

Listen to this guy! I remember now...that is exactly what is happening!

scracha
7th December 2006, 10:18

I used to recommend it but now I'd say AVG isn't worth the download. Sounds like you've got Smitfraud or a variant. Download one of the smitfraud removal tools (there's a few..just google it) and then boot it into safe mode (F8 after the beep) before running.

A few of my customers have had similar experiences and they're running Symantec, McAfee, Avast, etc etc. The ONLY defence is backup.

Do yourself another favour and cut a knoppix live CD in case of emergenies.

scracha
7th December 2006, 10:22
How to get rid of private folder secuirty problems,

right click -> properties -> secuirty -> advance -> owner -> give ogin owner status (remeber to click replace owner on subcontainers and objects) -> APPLY (not wait and your all done)

If it's XP home, you'll need to start it in safe mode and login as administrator

Cajun
7th December 2006, 11:07
If it's XP home, you'll need to start it in safe mode and login as administrator

true, my desktop is pro, machine the hdd failed in was home

davereid
7th December 2006, 11:30
Hi ixion, I'm not sure a firewall would help you against web beacons. This is because your browser will simply fetch all the images on a web page automatically. The fact that one of the images is tiny and from a different server doesnt matter to the browser, and its already got permission to access the internet so the firewall wont help. May a geek on the site can help.

pervert
7th December 2006, 11:40
A simple tracking cookie is hardly a huge threat though.

Ixion
7th December 2006, 11:54
Hi ixion, I'm not sure a firewall would help you against web beacons. This is because your browser will simply fetch all the images on a web page automatically. The fact that one of the images is tiny and from a different server doesnt matter to the browser, and its already got permission to access the internet so the firewall wont help. May a geek on the site can help.

It won't if the firewall is a simple one like zonealarm that just works on an access-no access basis. But more sophisticated ones (mines actually a Cisco router) have Access Controll Lists into which you can enter specfic "banned" IP addresses. And logs which you can review to see such hidden activity. Review log, why is data being pulled from that address - ACL rule to block the address. I have the common ad sites blocked, more because I don't want to spend time downloading advertising banners than any privacy reasons.

SPman
7th December 2006, 11:59
It won't if the firewall is a simple one like zonealarm that just works on an access-no access basis. But more sophisticated ones (mines actually a Cisco router) have Access Controll Lists into which you can enter specfic "banned" IP addresses. And logs which you can review to see such hidden activity. Review log, why is data being pulled from that address - ACL rule to block the address. I have the common ad sites blocked, more because I don't want to spend time downloading advertising banners than any privacy reasons.
Zone alarm pro gives a few more of the same sort of tweaks as that.
ZA free is still a lot better than nothin.

scracha
7th December 2006, 19:15
true, my desktop is pro, machine the hdd failed in was home

Only knew this as I had the same prob with a customer PC a couple of months back so it was still fresh in my mind. Was sat scratching my head for a while going "where's the bloody security tab?".

Google is your friend.

scracha
7th December 2006, 19:21
Zone alarm pro gives a few more of the same sort of tweaks as that.
ZA free is still a lot better than nothin.

ZA is a PITA and I'd only recommend for win98/ME. Kerio is a better bet.

As for adverts, run Firefox with the Adblock Plus plugin. Another useful tool is McAfee site adviser.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/
http://www.avast.com/
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio-Download.cfm
http://www.spybot.com/
http://www.getfirefox.com/

All of the above are free (some just for home/non-commercial use) and pretty idiot proof.

Most folks seem to get infected simply because they're not running an up-to-date anti-virus or let their kids install crappy P2P software and don't set it up properly to scan downloads.

wendigo
7th December 2006, 19:54
Dunno how useful this would be, but you can set firefox up to block loading of images (Tools -> Options ->Content -> load images automatically/exception). Plug in URI you want to block (e.g. IMRWORLDWIDE.COM ), and hit the block button. Don't know how practical this is, but it might work. Maybe a security guru could confirm?

scracha
7th December 2006, 20:31
Dunno how useful this would be, but you can set firefox up to block loading of images (Tools -> Options ->Content -> load images automatically/exception). Plug in URI you want to block (e.g. IMRWORLDWIDE.COM ), and hit the block button. Don't know how practical this is, but it might work. Maybe a security guru could confirm?

Yeah but you have to manually do it for every URL. Adblock does pretty much the same job but picks them up from a database. No more annoying flash adverts.

wendigo
8th December 2006, 06:28
Yeah but you have to manually do it for every URL.

True, however I find that in general I only use a small number of websites (~10) so if I was really that worried, doing the manual thing wouldn't be that tiresome.

Xtat1k
9th December 2006, 12:35
i recently had those annoying winantiviruspro 2006 pop ups, i tried heaps in the end i just nuked the pc and started again. prob solved....

p.s - nortons gay

Colapop
9th December 2006, 13:28

My 2c.
Yeah ahh I'll need one of those;
"This is exactly how you do it type instructions - first you do this, then you do this, then you...."
It's not infected anymore, just those f*cken pop-ups....

0arbreaka
10th December 2006, 01:33
try the caveman technique, its always worked for me....

phaedrus
11th December 2006, 23:51
i asked them
"hi, i am curious why you feel the need to watch me with imrworldwide.com's Red Sheriff"
they answered

Thank you for your SecureMail about ANZ Internet Banking.

ANZ uses Red Sheriff for generating statistics on the usage of the web pages at www.anz.com and www.anz.co.nz. This is legitimate and assists us to strive to improve our Internet Banking System and home pages.

If you have any further queries please contact the ANZ Internet Banking Team via SecureMail. The Internet Banking Team will provide support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

needless to say i have made immrworldwide.com and subdomains "unavailable" to my computer