PDA

View Full Version : A hair and helmet question

apteryx_haasti
6th December 2006, 20:24
OK - so this question is a bit weird....

Here it is (and just because I am posting it in biker angels doesn't mean that blokes can't answer cuz they might know as well!)...

At the moment I have shoulder length (just below my collar) hair but I would quite like to get it cut (lots) short(er) - my question:

Will my helmet still fit properly? Stupid question or no? I've only had my helmet for 5 months, so my hair was pretty long when I got it. It seems borderline for whether it is too big for my little pin head at the moment, so I'm worried that if my hair is very different it will be even worse.

Or am I insane?

Let the abuse (I mean...advice) begin!

chanceyy
6th December 2006, 20:29
OK - so this question is a bit weird....

Here it is (and just because I am posting it in biker angels doesn't mean that blokes can't answer cuz they might know as well!)...

At the moment I have shoulder length (just below my collar) hair but I would quite like to get it cut (lots) short(er) - my question:

Will my helmet still fit properly? Stupid question or no? I've only had my helmet for 5 months, so my hair was pretty long when I got it. It seems borderline for whether it is too big for my little pin head at the moment, so I'm worried that if my hair is very different it will be even worse.

Or am I insane?

Let the abuse (I mean...advice) begin!

yup if you get it cut & remove bulk, your helmet will fit more loosely. (chanceyy is a hairdresser)

Maha
6th December 2006, 20:30
Um yes.....your hair will get shorter..not your head.....:innocent:
Unless and this is just a mabye ! The haircutting person accidently snips the valve at the back of your head and lets some air out....:laugh:

:dodge: :shutup: :done:

apteryx_haasti
6th December 2006, 20:32
Um yes.....your hair will get shorter..not your head.....:innocent:
Unless and this is just a mabye ! The haircutting person accidently snips the valve at the back of your head and lets some air out....:laugh:

:dodge: :shutup: :done:

Hey - I'm not a blonde! At the moment....

Jantar
6th December 2006, 20:39
Its not too much of a problem. When you get your hair cut just let your hairdresser know that you wear a helmet so that she won't take too much bulk, just length. The small amount of bulk that you do lose can be taken up by using a helmet liner.

Lissa
6th December 2006, 20:46
Ok.. you could always get a helmet cut instead of bowl cut. :D Sorry I'm only joking. I have really long hair, I can see why you want to cut it, takes forever to get the tangles out. :)

elle-f
6th December 2006, 21:05
why are you getting your hair cut? our hair all looks the same when its come straight out of the helmet after a long ride anyhow :yes: :shit:

andrea
6th December 2006, 21:31
i just had my hair cut short today, hehe well not too short that is, i got sick of long hair, platting it, combing the tangles out. and putting it up. so i went to my mates house and asked her to cut it. now my helmet fits nicely:niceone:

xwhatsit
6th December 2006, 23:41
I don't think you'll have too much of an issue, to be honest. When you have your hair about shoulder length, the actual thickness of your hair on top of your head isn't that much different to when it is much shorter. In fact, well at least this is what I noticed with the girlfriend when she went from longish to a bob-cut, the actual width seemed to be bulkier on top, probably because the longer hair wasn't making it lie as flat (I pay a lot of attention to her hair, she has beautiful hair :D). So unless they actually do a lot of chopping around on top, I doubt it would make much difference. The sides of your head might come into play, but I'd venture that most people's ears would be the main point of difference.

Waylander
7th December 2006, 05:17
It'll be a bit more loos yes, Cut mine a while back and noticed my helmet tended to move side to side more in the wind. Got one that fits closer on my cheeks now so not a big worry. Growing my hair long again cause the back of my neck got cold though.

sels1
7th December 2006, 05:45
Or you could leave your hair long and get one of these hair gloves....

Trudes
7th December 2006, 05:45
I don't think you'll have too much of an issue, to be honest. When you have your hair about shoulder length, the actual thickness of your hair on top of your head isn't that much different to when it is much shorter. In fact, well at least this is what I noticed with the girlfriend when she went from longish to a bob-cut, the actual width seemed to be bulkier on top, probably because the longer hair wasn't making it lie as flat (I pay a lot of attention to her hair, she has beautiful hair :D). So unless they actually do a lot of chopping around on top, I doubt it would make much difference. The sides of your head might come into play, but I'd venture that most people's ears would be the main point of difference.

I would think this also

apteryx_haasti
7th December 2006, 06:41
why are you getting your hair cut? our hair all looks the same when its come straight out of the helmet after a long ride anyhow :yes: :shit:

Well, mainly so it stops getting stuck in the breathing apparatus mask at training (fire brigade)...

And I've almost always had relatively short hair - this is the longest it's been since 1992....

I haven't been growing it "on purpose" - just haven't been able to find a hairdresser I like in Wgtn who gives me a hair cut I like.

I don't mind the length, it's just that it annoys me by flicking in my eyes and getting in the way at training. Time for a change?

elle-f
7th December 2006, 06:47
yep def time for a change. i used to go to si salon and the guy there, andre i think, was great. although it cost an arm and a leg to get cut - about 80 bucks - it was well worth it.

apteryx_haasti
7th December 2006, 06:57
I had a great hairdresser in Dunedin that I went to for 8 years - have yet to find a replacement here...

But I might start my quest.

Of course - this thread was originally about whether my helmet would then be too loose - but these strange thread journeys are one of the reasons I like KB!

aff-man
7th December 2006, 07:01
it will be a bit looser and noisier.....:yes:

klingon
7th December 2006, 10:48
Depends how thick your hair is, what style you have now, and what style you get it cut into.

The affect of thickness is obvious.

The style you have now - if your hair is long just because you haven't had it cut for ages, then it's likely to be all the same length, rather than layered. So it's likely to be adding quite a bit of bulk inside your helmet.

The style you get it cut to - if you have it cut into a bob you'll keep most of the bulk under your helmet. If you get it cut shorter (or layered, even if you keep it quite long) you will lose bulk and your helmet will be looser.

As someone said earlier, if you find your helmet too loose, try helmet liners. Good for keeping the inside of your helmet clean if you use 'product' too. (Although you don't come across as being much of a 'product' girl.)

Before and after pics please! I haven't had a hair cut for years and I like to live vicariously through other people's styling! LOL :Punk:

buellbabe
7th December 2006, 11:05
Do you wear your hair tied back under the helmet?
You probably WILL notice a difference.
If you check my profile pic you will see that I used to have long hair then went to short.
Well in my view the long hair was easier to deal with and certainly looked better when the helmet came off... my helmet is not kind to short hair and so i have grown it again! Now it is just above my shoulders and is just right :yes:

Hanne
14th December 2006, 19:09
My hair has been relatively short ever since i started riding but after I had it cut again last time I really noticed the noise! Buellbabe says it is easier to manage longer hair, that is what i am going to try now... but yes, please let us know what happens! (or has happened seeing asi am slightly behind on the play :P)

chanceyy
14th December 2006, 19:24
if you feel like riding up to levin, I would be happy to advise you .. & cut it for you if you feel like it .. only been hairdressing 22 yrs .. & I am a lot cheaper than salons ;)

apteryx_haasti
14th December 2006, 20:41
if you feel like riding up to levin, I would be happy to advise you .. & cut it for you if you feel like it .. only been hairdressing 22 yrs .. & I am a lot cheaper than salons ;)

Thanks! Might not solve the problem of trying to find a hairdresser I like in Wellington (after going to the same one in dunners for AGES) but I would get a chance to meet another KBer!

At the moment we have no haircutting action, folks. My Nana (whom I haven't seen for over a year) is coming up for Christmas and arrives on Sunday. THought I'd let her see it long, then I will decide about the cut....

Watch this space for the eventual bump (with before and after shots if you're lucky/good)

chanceyy
14th December 2006, 20:47
Thanks! Might not solve the problem of trying to find a hairdresser I like in Wellington (after going to the same one in dunners for AGES) but I would get a chance to meet another KBer!

At the moment we have no haircutting action, folks. My Nana (whom I haven't seen for over a year) is coming up for Christmas and arrives on Sunday. THought I'd let her see it long, then I will decide about the cut....

Watch this space for the eventual bump (with before and after shots if you're lucky/good)

LOL no problem .. I work full time in a call centre .. today day off & i have been hairdressing all day ;) .. so yeah guess i am good :D will be away from 19th -26th .. working for 3 days between xmas & new yr .. then off again til 8th .. but will be about & around :D

Shazz
23rd December 2006, 14:38
[QUOTE=apteryx_haasti;851418]OK - so this question is a bit weird....

I think i may be a bit late with this suggestion, as there seems to be a consensus that the hair is to be cut. But anyway my two cents worth, (not that its worth anything nowadays, cause we hanv't event got five cents left! hehehe)
But I ride with a lot of the ladys who pilly on the harleys etc, and instead of cutting their hair they get a leather strap that braids up and therefore they ponytail their hair low on the neck, and then wrap it into the strap, keeps it awesome tidy at whatever speed.

And who cares about the state of it when the helmet comes off, join the fun instead. And here again, I ride with 'ladies' that carry the whole kit and kaboodle in the hard-top panier and when they get their it takes them half and hour to reapply all the crap! Now that I think is a waste of time.

If you going to ride and ride for which the enjoyment is of getting, then you are not enjoying it at all. Are ya.

Best of luck with your dilemma anyway.

Fatjim
23rd December 2006, 16:28
I tend to be able to keep my hair away from my helmet except for in really cold weather.
In fact the other night was a case in hand so to speak.

Thursday night ride, fark it was cold, and I was busting a huka falls. Now I had jeans and over trousers on and due to the excessive cold I struggled to get my helmet clear of not only my hair, but through 2 zippers as well.

Trudes
23rd December 2006, 16:57
Oh FatJim.:o :shutup:

Highlander
23rd December 2006, 16:58
Count on someone lowering the tone - note it wasn't me.

Shazz
24th December 2006, 07:10
I tend to be able to keep my hair away from my helmet except for in really cold weather.
In fact the other night was a case in hand so to speak.

Thursday night ride, fark it was cold, and I was busting a huka falls. Now I had jeans and over trousers on and due to the excessive cold I struggled to get my helmet clear of not only my hair, but through 2 zippers as well.

Gosh... no wonder I choose a motorbike than a male!:stupid:
Comments like this re-confirm my beliefs that "when it doesn't talk, yet still gives a thrill"... that it's by far a better choice anyday! hehehehehe

shafty
24th December 2006, 07:28
I agree that "The small amount of bulk that you do lose can be taken up by using a helmet liner." - and that short hair on a chick is very SEXY!!!

I keep mine short, esp in Summer, - easy to handle, more presentable when the helmet comes off.

Hair by Shoei!

Fatjim
24th December 2006, 09:21
I agree that "The small amount of bulk that you do lose can be taken up by using a helmet liner." - and that short hair on a chick is very SEXY!!!

I keep mine short, esp in Summer, - easy to handle, more presentable when the helmet comes off.

Hair by Shoei!

Come on Shafty, get it back on topic.