PDA

View Full Version : Problem child

Motu
18th July 2004, 22:42
I have a bit of a problem with my 11 yr son that has me a somewhat worried - he's started wearing Roman sandals...with socks!!! I've taken him aside for a quiet little word,like,it's not the done thing to be seen doing this in public,but he takes no notice and continues to wear them.I don't want to get too heavy on this - I'd hate to find that later in life he became a serial killer,and through hypnotic regression it was all traced back to his father destroying his Roman sandals with the lawnmower.What can I do...I try to set a good example by wearing my work boots at all times...I just don't know where this behavior comes from,none of my other kids have been like this.Sensable replies only please,this is not a joke,my reputation is at stake!

moko
18th July 2004, 23:28
If I were you Motu I`d hope he did become a serial killer,better to be remembered for that than for being "the kid with the Roman Sandals".I suppose someone`s got to wear the silly clothes in N.Z. now the American Tourists are scared to fly.

Antallica
18th July 2004, 23:40
Sounds like the kid needs to play a contact sport, what does he watch on TV? There's some weird shit on the tube these days. Glad I'm not his age right about now.

When I began secondary school I noticed the newer generations were getting somewhat... gayer.

scumdog
19th July 2004, 01:31
I have a bit of a problem with my 11 yr son that has me a somewhat worried - he's started wearing Roman sandals...with socks!!! I've taken him aside for a quiet little word,like,it's not the done thing to be seen doing this in public,but he takes no notice and continues to wear them.I don't want to get too heavy on this - I'd hate to find that later in life he became a serial killer,and through hypnotic regression it was all traced back to his father destroying his Roman sandals with the lawnmower.What can I do...I try to set a good example by wearing my work boots at all times...I just don't know where this behavior comes from,none of my other kids have been like this.Sensable replies only please,this is not a joke,my reputation is at stake!

Don't riot over it, good chance it's just a passing whim, peer pressure will also change his mind more than a ranting old-man.

If it's not then the kids cool, he's doing his own thing, he's his own man, be proud of him in this age of "look at me, I'm an individual with my baseball hat, baggy sweat-shirt, puffy jacket, arse-dragging pants with frayed hems and so low at my arse that I have to wear boxers AND jocks, and my extra large sneakers with laces that i never undo, it all makes me an individual like the other 50,000 kids dressed just like that" :blink:

Firefight
19th July 2004, 05:45

Yes Motu, I can see this as a real problem !, With a dress sense like that he can only be destined for a future working on the counter at the local council.

Mind you , that could have some benifit when it comes time to rego your dog or grabbing a building permit or whatever.

F/F <_<

merv
19th July 2004, 07:50
Sounds like he's on his way to getting a PhD. Just behaving retro I guess.

I used to marvel at the lecturers I had in the 70's - one was dressed in his sandals all the time and always with odd socks - I guess whatever he found hanging on the floor each morning when he got up.

riffer
19th July 2004, 07:55
This may be hard to believe Motu, but at the moment, Roman Sandals are about the coolest footwear that can be found at school.

All the kids seem to want them.

Bizarre. When I was his age (1978) they were definitely uncool.

Magua
19th July 2004, 08:00
When I began secondary school I noticed the newer generations were getting somewhat... gayer.

Gay, that's one way to put it. They are mostly wiggas and hoes now. Standards went straight out the window.

Paul in NZ
19th July 2004, 08:11
Our kids could not believe this when we moved from the south island to the north...

Kids wore roman sandals.. The cheap ones..... AND they were cool!! :niceone:

It took a week before they HAD to have a pair.... :done:

I still think it's odd but then again I do ride an old Moto Guzzi....

KATWYN
19th July 2004, 08:20
Nothing wrong with that. He is only telling you that
"one day dad, i'm gunna be a maths or science teacher"

Motu
19th July 2004, 08:24
Thanks guys,that's what I need to hear,my boy's being an individual.As home schoolers my kids are out of the loop as far as peer presure,fads and trends go,so he's just doing something out of his own ideas.He probably found them in a cupboard,unworn by his sisters who wouldn't be seen dead in them.He's a bit of a geek,hence the socks I guess.So as I go out on the streets with my boy wearing sandals and socks,some other kids are most likely jealous,wishing they had the guts not to be part of the herd.He's cool.

Oscar
19th July 2004, 08:29
Dad's a trials rider.
No more to be said really...

6Chris6
19th July 2004, 08:34
Gay They are mostly wiggas .

This is a real pet hate of mine, but then i am living in wigga central :tugger: s
Think yourself lucky Motu he's not one of these!

riffer
19th July 2004, 09:03
This is a real pet hate of mine, but then i am living in wigga central :tugger: s
Think yourself lucky Motu he's not one of these!
Ah man I must be getting old... what's a wigga?

Mongoose
19th July 2004, 09:07
Read you question, went away and thought about it. Came back and readit again and I am still trying to work out what the problem is. So he dont dress like the old man, crickey that covers damn near ALL kids. Who would want to be taken as being the same as that old fart anyway? :laugh:

jrandom
19th July 2004, 09:22
Roman sandals? And does he pull the socks all the way up? That's the only stereotype worth aspiring to. Good lad.

Buy him a briar pipe and a stack of math textbooks, Motu, you've got a keeper :niceone:

Hitcher
19th July 2004, 09:53
As a serial fashion victim I shouldn't comment on this. It amuses me to see the "youth of today" wearing around town what would have been "farm clothes" when we were growing up. I still marvel that the hand-knitted beanie is currently high fashion. I await eagerly the reprise of the pom-pom on top...

Only start panicking Motu when he starts wearing his jocks over his trousers...

riffer
19th July 2004, 09:59
Only start panicking Motu when he starts wearing his jocks over his trousers...
and gets himself another young boy as a sidekick. ;)

Always thought that was a bit dodgy, the old Batman programme...

Hitcher
19th July 2004, 10:08
and gets himself another young boy as a sidekick. ;)

Always thought that was a bit dodgy, the old Batman programme...
But not as dodgy as Captain Pugwash, with his loyal mates Roger the Cabin Boy and the legendary Seaman Stains...

Motu
19th July 2004, 10:12
Both boys (8 & 11) are pushing hard for a mohawk,the clippers and razor were on the kitchen table yesterday as a subtle hint,they will want them dyed as well of course.They have had them before and just love freaking people out.They are mixing too many stereotypes,just as long as they aren't repressed things should be ok eh.

scumdog
19th July 2004, 10:13
But not as dodgy as Captain Pugwash, with his loyal mates Roger the Cabin Boy and the legendary Seaman Stains...

And don't forget the third member of the Captains loyal team,Master Bates! :laugh:

pete376403
19th July 2004, 11:13
Urban Legend Alert!!!

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm

Milky
19th July 2004, 12:22
Ah man I must be getting old... what's a wigga?

think white, then nigger, then take the 'er' off and replace with an 'a' 'cos it is sooo much cooler like that....

NotaGoth
19th July 2004, 12:29
It's just a phase, one of those things us kids go through. If I can get over wearing lime green spandex undies over black tights I'm sure he'll get over wearing socks with roman sandles. (errr kidding bout the spandex)
But anywho give him some time n he'll come out of it.

*Theresa*

riffer
19th July 2004, 12:32
Urban Legend Alert!!!

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm
Pete your browser is obviously permanently connected to both KB and snopes! ;)

Interesting one they had the other day about that video you asked me to post.

Guy was bloody lucky to survive.

For those that don't know, there's a video going round the 'net with a subaru going through an intersection as a man crosses the road parallel to it. A PT Cruiser comes through the red and runs straight into the sooby which rolls a couple of times and goes straight over the top of the pedestrian.

It's here on my web site:

www.hmif.co.nz/car.mpg (http://www.hmif.co.nz/car.mpg)

Well it turns out (according to Snopes) that the guy survived because the dent in the sooby created a hollow when it rolled over the guy, causing him only survivable injuries, instead of the almost certain death it looks like in the video.

Amazing stuff. Not sure I'd like to be able to tell that story to my grandchildren...

James Deuce
19th July 2004, 12:57
Roman Sandals. And he doesn't even have hailing from the South Island as an excuse.

merv
19th July 2004, 13:03
Perhaps he's showing respect for the "Roman Emporer", the winner of the German MotoGP.

riffer
19th July 2004, 13:25
Perhaps he's showing respect for the "Roman Emporer", the winner of the German MotoGP.
yeah, thanks for that merv. And just as I'd finished downloading it too. :(

750Y
19th July 2004, 14:07
Motu, shame on You for dragging you son into this.
could it be it is actually Yourself who is wanting to wear them & looking for some sort of validation from the all-knowing, fashion guru kb-ers before You come out of the closet?

Motu
19th July 2004, 15:03
Could be - roman sandals were part of our school summer uniform,stuff that! I wore the winter uniform all year round and rolled my sleeves up in summer,and saved my mother some money to boot. Maybe I have to go back and live that part of my life I missed,ridicule and embarassment,burdoning my mother with the price of another uniform - OK,where do 50yr olds in summer uniforms hang out?

Hitcher
19th July 2004, 15:05
OK,where do 50yr olds in summer uniforms hang out?
There's probably a web forum, if you look hard enough...

SPman
19th July 2004, 19:11
OK,where do 50yr olds in summer uniforms hang out? In AC/DC.......?

merv
19th July 2004, 19:14
Motu I told my kids at dinner time that your boy was now into Roman sandals and I said to them did you know that they are the best thing since the scarfies in Dunedin discovered tea cosies. The smirk on my son's face was priceless - he's 20 now mind you and my daughter is 18. It certainly hasn't affected their generation yet.

Skyryder
19th July 2004, 20:12
When he starts to wear a Toga, clasp the garmet with one hand somewhere near his chest, with his legs firmly planted on the ground and with a loud beligerant voice, "Friends Romans Country man lend me your ear," and with a flurry produce a cutthoat razor from our of nowwhere. Then you get worried. Other than that he's normal.

Skyryder

What?
19th July 2004, 20:26
I feel sorry for the lad. Forced to wear footwear at such a tender age...

Wenier
19th July 2004, 21:53
I feel sorry for the lad. Forced to wear footwear at such a tender age...

Well with the shite on TV now im not surprised, i mean Pokemon WTF!