PDA

View Full Version : Stuck throttle - GSXR750

Squiggles
7th December 2006, 21:33
88 GSXR750 J Model , my throttle is stuck on full open... when i start the bike i nearly hit the readline, have pulled off the tank so i can see where the cable goes etc... am relatviely familiar with how it all works, with the cable pulling on a little spinny doohickey that turns a rod thingy and so on... well, i think i can see the spinny doohickey deep in there, when i turn the throttle it moves up, when i let it go it goes down... BUT, i can push it down a bit further than it naturally pulls itself down, twist throttle again, brings it up and down but still not right down... i presume theres a little spring down there which is meant to pull it right down but doesnt??? dont know how to get down there to have a look, whats should my plan of attack be? or is my diagnosis wrong?

oh, and has anyone got a manual or that part of the manual that they could send me???

Cheers,
Stephen

Squiggles
7th December 2006, 21:54
Throttle return spring... thats the thingy im assuming is broke

Squiggles
8th December 2006, 07:49
spring isnt broke it seems, after using alot of crc on the accelerator cable it started to work normally, but i see there are a few splits in the cable where water probably got in... so will replace it :yes:

manual would be much appreciated tho if anyone has it

frogfeaturesFZR
8th December 2006, 07:51
Give the new cable a good squirt of CRC or somesuch. (Before you put it on ):yes:

lb99
8th December 2006, 08:21
88 GSXR750 J Model , my throttle is stuck on full open... when i start the bike i nearly hit the readline, have pulled off the tank so i can see where the cable goes etc... am relatviely familiar with how it all works, with the cable pulling on a little spinny doohickey that turns a rod thingy and so on... well, i think i can see the spinny doohickey deep in there, when i turn the throttle it moves up, when i let it go it goes down... BUT, i can push it down a bit further than it naturally pulls itself down, twist throttle again, brings it up and down but still not right down... i presume theres a little spring down there which is meant to pull it right down but doesnt??? dont know how to get down there to have a look, whats should my plan of attack be? or is my diagnosis wrong?

oh, and has anyone got a manual or that part of the manual that they could send me???

Cheers,
Stephen

just leave it as is and use the kill switch for the corners:Punk:

I know a dude who did just that over Danseys Pass on an Impulse.

Crisis management
8th December 2006, 08:25
I have a manual and enough mechanical knowledge to read it if that helps??? I'm in Hillsborough so PM me if you want to borrow it or have some assistance.

geoffm
11th December 2006, 18:28
GSXR manual is online - look in the manuals sticky.
I have a copy in my archvies somewhere if you can't track it down.
Geoff

Paul in NZ
11th December 2006, 19:21
Give the new cable a good squirt of CRC or somesuch. (Before you put it on ):yes:

Don't use CRC it's mostly kero and will evapourate and leave a bigger mess. Light oil is best but I use INOX or one of the lanolin based lubes in a can via the wee cable lube thingy I have (which also lubes me and everything else withing range)

Squiggles
13th December 2006, 15:46
GSXR manual is online - look in the manuals sticky.
I have a copy in my archvies somewhere if you can't track it down.
Geoff

link points to a small piece of the manual (valve clearances from memory), only other online one that i could find a link to had just been shutdown from people direct linking to it... :(

surfer
14th December 2006, 08:16
Have you diconnected your cable from your throttle on the handle bar and checked to make sure that the throttle runs smoothly here?

If your visual inspection shows your cable is munted you might consider undoing the cable and pulling the inner up and down (oo eer not too fast missus) to see if it is sticking. If it is still sticking after you have lubed it then chances are your cable is frayed on the inside and is on it's way to breaking so consider buying a new one. Much easier than being in the poo on the side of the road.

But reallly sounds like you need to lube the cable, use a cable lube device they are cheap from any motorbike shop.

Squiggles
14th December 2006, 16:27
in the end i took the cable off, and it did not move smoothly or easily for that matter, was looking a bit frayed too.

Needed it for my sat trip to coro,
Rang the bike shops, haldanes would've been the quickest to get one (saturday if the couriers showed but 1 in 10 chance they would), colemans 7-10 days exjapan... couldn't wait that long, so i rang up a few company's and Aotea Instrument Services came to the rescue, cost me $69.70 and it was done the next morning (very good considering they got the cable just before closing time on fri and i picked it up at 10am on sat) :yes: great guys, after much fiddling it was on the bike and worked perfectly.

The guys at aotea said they could do other cables and bits so id thoroughly recommend them if the bike shops cant have it for you in time!

Here is their contact details:

Address: Unit 12, 9 Freeman Way Manukau Auckland
Phone number: 0-9-262 3542

NinjaNanna
15th December 2006, 11:47
There's also a bike wreckers on Barrys Point Rd, Takapuna, Akl that will make up cables for you. You need the original though as a template.

I was quoted around $30 to replace the inner of one of my cables. Price starts to add up if your exterior is stuffed or your adjusters need replacing.

I suspect a complete cable from him would probably be about the same as what you paid.

Squiggles
15th December 2006, 13:50
There's also a bike wreckers on Barrys Point Rd, Takapuna, Akl that will make up cables for you. You need the original though as a template.

I was quoted around $30 to replace the inner of one of my cables. Price starts to add up if your exterior is stuffed or your adjusters need replacing.

I suspect a complete cable from him would probably be about the same as what you paid.

yeah, i rang them up too but he wasnt 100% sure he could do it till he'd seen the cable, presumably just as good of a deal though :)