PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads - how much?

Donor
7th December 2006, 22:22
Howdy,

Daisy seems to have eaten the last of the rear pads, and the front aren't much better, thus I haven't ridden since the last 250 run - 5 days!!!

Been quoted $60 for a pair of pads - this sucks, as I need 3 sets of the bloody things.

Anyone know of a cheaper, yet non-cheap-and-nasty option?

Quote was from MotoXtreme in Takanini...

Cheers folks.

98tls
7th December 2006, 23:05
Cant rember prices but dont bother with oem ones......there shit.

Big Dog
7th December 2006, 23:24
Cant rember prices but dont bother with oem ones......there shit.
Agreed when I replaced them on the last bike, $45 a pair turned out to be far superior to OEM pads.
Still $135, but you should be able to negotiate a deal for 3 sets.
Still better than $195.
But then I bought on recommendation not cost. There were $30 ones in the same size but they just looked cheap.

Gremlin
7th December 2006, 23:37
My pads (premier something or other) were about $40-$50 a set I think, and since I bought them all round, paid $100 for the lot...

F5 Dave
8th December 2006, 11:47
98tls, the proper English is 'They're shit'. Though I can't quite imagine the Queen saying that. (She rides a Trumpy & is quite patriotic).

Actually I've always found OEM to be far superior to much else. A few bike mags have concluded this as well & made up test rigs to test pads. OEM are expensive but generally work better with the std disc & last better to boot.

What you often feel when they are replaced, as is with tyres is the new set aren't worn out. Bed in & start working well. Also calliper pistons or slide pins often seize slightly & the operation of pressing them back to put thicker pads in un-seizes them. Gee they feel much better now.

[Edit] RZ brakes are pretty ropey at the best of times so I'd buy on recommendation rather than price. I ended up changing the callipers on mine. Thing is, old bikes often has quite stainless type discs so what suits a modern bike may not be the biscuits on an old one. I'd avoid Kevlar blends.

Donor
8th December 2006, 20:09
I think I'll bite the bullet, and spend the cash at MotoXtreme.

They've not set me wrong yet, and as a former cage doctor I know only too well the importance of good gear.

Besides, money talks, and if they want me cash, they'll barter...

I could hunt for better pricing, but at the end of the day, I wanna ride and I wanna do it as safely as possible.

Cheers all!

98tls
8th December 2006, 20:25
98tls, the proper English is 'They're shit'. Though I can't quite imagine the Queen saying that. (She rides a Trumpy & is quite patriotic).
yea thats sweet dave..........but this aint england.

xwhatsit
9th December 2006, 23:44
It `ain't' Merika either.