PDA

View Full Version : Getting your knee down for girls

bert_is_evil
8th December 2006, 10:38
How to get your knee down from a girls perspective:

http://www.bikegirl.co.uk/resources/tips/kneedown.html

Anyone know of any roundabouts like the one in her photo round the Wellington area?

jumma
8th December 2006, 10:47

Anyone know of any roundabouts like the one in her photo round the Wellington area?

Girls on their knees? Where?

:innocent: Sorry, it had to be said.

On a serious note though, the round-a-bouts out by the airport are probably the largest and smoothest I know off.

Bend-it
8th December 2006, 11:03
Plimmerton, 5.30pm! :D

Pwalo
8th December 2006, 11:04

Perhaps you need to get out on a track day. Too many cars around unless you're awake really early in the morning.

You don't ride around the Ngaraunga area do you? I had a rider on a very nice Thunderace pull up beside by the lights off the the motorway heading up the gorge. Unfortunately the lights turned green and when you're at the front of the queue; well you know the drill.

bert_is_evil
8th December 2006, 11:12
Plimmerton, 5.30pm! :D

"How to get your feet down"

bert_is_evil
8th December 2006, 11:15
Perhaps you need to get out on a track day. Too many cars around unless you're awake really early in the morning.

You don't ride around the Ngaraunga area do you? I had a rider on a very nice Thunderace pull up beside by the lights off the the motorway heading up the gorge. Unfortunately the lights turned green and when you're at the front of the queue; well you know the drill.

Might have been me, mine is currently identifyable by the indicator hanging out of the left had fairing though, so it depends which side you're on as to whether it looks good or not...

Think I'll have to rope in a pro for some lessons at the next trackday.

Bend-it
8th December 2006, 11:15
Knee down lane-splitting!

bert_is_evil
8th December 2006, 11:17
Isn't that the roundabout that slows to a snails pace at rush hour? or have they fixed it?

Bend-it
8th December 2006, 11:27
Isn't that the roundabout that slows to a snails pace at rush hour? or have they fixed it?

The very same... it was a p/t... :P

duckaddict
8th December 2006, 11:32
FYI - There is a TD on the 22 Dec (http://www.kiwitrackdays.co.nz/)

McJim
8th December 2006, 11:48
Perhaps you need to get out on a track day.

Bert_is_evil passed me on the last KB track day at Taupo...I witnessed her get the knee down after she passed me.

I'll say no more on the subject ;)

bert_is_evil
8th December 2006, 12:34
Bert_is_evil passed me on the last KB track day at Taupo...I witnessed her get the knee down after she passed me.

I'll say no more on the subject ;)

It's true!!
I also got my elbow down!
and my head, the palms of my hands, shoulders, butt...

Trudes
11th December 2006, 20:06
There are a couple of beaut corners on the Newlands off/on ramp that are fun, even at moderate speeds, no need to speed around them (in fact, I would recommend you don't).

FROSTY
11th December 2006, 20:15
Bert--gimme a yeodle at the next Kb trackday -Im happy to show ya round

xwhatsit
12th December 2006, 02:52
Getting your knee down is for girls? I thought the sportsbike crowd were such big manly men though?

bert_is_evil
12th December 2006, 08:01
Awesome, can't wait for track day then - thanks Frosty!
In the mean time I'm definitely going to check out that off ramp, sounds perfect with no traffic coming the opposite way.

bugjuice
12th December 2006, 08:40
well it worked for me!
easiest way to get your knee down, is to stop trying. Think more about the corner and your line, than getting your knee down. Then it'll just happen.

I support chicks and their knees

FROSTY
12th December 2006, 20:03
buggie --was that last sentence --and ---or on??

bugjuice
12th December 2006, 22:14
can it be both?

NighthawkNZ
13th December 2006, 16:18

err does it make it easier getting your leg over :dodge:

McJim
13th December 2006, 16:22
buggie --was that last sentence --and ---or on??

If it's 'on' then I prefer a woman with a flat head - it'll give me somewhere to put my beer.

beyond
13th December 2006, 16:59
From one of my earlier posts when queried about Aucklanders not getting their knees down on the road.

Well, the reason most Aucklanders don't get their knee down is cos the weather up here is warmer.

This means possums propogate much more frequently, which means there is more of them chomping through our native bush. This means they cross the road more frequently to get to new patches of bush. This means that they killed more frequently, which means that if we try and get our knee down, we hook so many possums on our knee sliders that we overload the knee down side of the bike and get more than just the knee down. Plus it doesn't smell to good and we get blood and guts on our leathers, which means blow flies follow us home and breed more cos of the warmer weather and ....

But, wait!! There's more. In the warmer weather, the tar melts more and this means our sliders get stuck in icky sticky and we get pulled off our bikes and that hurts too much.

But wait!! There's more. A free set of Ginsu steak knifes with every succesful knee slide.

But wait! There's more. Cos more people use the roads up here, they get badly pitted and potholes breed more rampantly and the trucks cause big subsidence patches in the road. Most the time we are lucky enough not to disappear from sight in the larger subsidences, but the potholes seem to occur right in your cornering line and they have a nasty habit of swallowing knee caps, which means we nearly lose our leg or if our leg muscles are really strong, we actually end up backwards on our seats after a succesful knee down corner.

Only really tough bikers survive in Auckland. Many of them are noticeable when riding cos you can see their gloved hands hanging on for grim death on the edge of those larger subsidences caused by trucks. It's real hard pulling yourself out of those. If you are really lucky and it hasn't rained, you can see a trail of blood leading from a pothole into the shrubbery somewhere, cos some poor bugger didn't get turned around in his seat. You will find a kneeslider in the pothole with a kneecap still attached. This is not a pretty sight and best left until well after meal times.

bert_is_evil
14th December 2006, 08:43
Gross!

I checked out Mrs Kendog's offramp - no possums or potholes

beyond
14th December 2006, 10:23
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

She should be ok then. Also watch out for those raised reflectors. Trucks move them off the centreline and they have a habit of creeping onto your apex line. Knee down on one of those can hurt a lot. :(

Trudes
14th December 2006, 10:29
The ones I've referred Bert to are all one way corners, so no on coming traffic or centerline paint etc to mind. They really are pretty great, but hey we don't want all the Wellingtonians down there, the cops will wise up and sit there (oops, they're probably looking at this right now, Hi Mr Plod, I'm sure you guys have better things to do though aye!)

Pwalo
14th December 2006, 10:41
There are a couple of beaut corners on the Newlands off/on ramp that are fun, even at moderate speeds, no need to speed around them (in fact, I would recommend you don't).

Oh yes indeedy, especially when the 'fast' cars take the wide line going off the motorway up to Newlands. Always a laugh to nip straight up the inside and be up around the corner before they've cottoned on.

Haven't got my knee down though.

klingon
14th December 2006, 11:25
From one of my earlier posts when queried about Aucklanders not getting their knees down on the road.

But, wait!! There's more.

Ha ha ha beyond, you really must ahve far too much time on your hands! Good read though. But you forgot to tell us what to do with the kneecaps we find... how do we track down the owners? Or do we just make kneecap soup?

bert_is_evil
14th December 2006, 11:27
I would rip the slider off and swap it with mine so it looked like I'd had my knee down

Denniso
19th January 2007, 18:47
I would rip the slider off and swap it with mine so it looked like I'd had my knee down

Or you could get a racer to sell you there old sliders, I used to sell my old ones to fund new ones , worked well new for old.