PDA

View Full Version : basic handling skills advice

greenhorn
19th July 2004, 11:04
Hi everyone
Ive been riding my bike around for a little while and think its about time i went for the basic handling test. I remember looking at a site somewhere telling me what sort of things they make you do but cant remember where it was.
Easier just to ask you guys...
What's good to practice doing? I can go in a straight line pretty good, even got it into 5th gear yesterday! :sweatdrop I have been practicing going around in tight circles, weaving in and out of some imaginary cones.
What sort of bikes do they give you to do the test on?
Any advice on what i should be able to do before i sit this test?
Im not called Greenhorn for nothing :blink:

Darryboy
19th July 2004, 11:37
I'd never ridden a motorbike before I sat my basic skills course, so you should pass it easy

It's not really a test, as in if you keep hitting cones they just give you advice and let you keep trying until you get it right (provided it's not taking you too long).

I don't know exactly what bikes they had at PassRite but they had 125 & 250s (mine had a broken speedo and another guys had a smashed indicator). You don't need to worry about speed 'cos you never get out of 1st gear.

Good luck,

Darren

greenhorn
19th July 2004, 11:57
I'd never ridden a motorbike before I sat my basic skills course, so you should pass it easy

It's not really a test, as in if you keep hitting cones they just give you advice and let you keep trying until you get it right (provided it's not taking you too long).

I don't know exactly what bikes they had at PassRite but they had 125 & 250s (mine had a broken speedo and another guys had a smashed indicator). You don't need to worry about speed 'cos you never get out of 1st gear.

Good luck,

Darren
COOL!
Sounds like the way they manufacture the school qualifications these days... no one fails, just keep going till you pass.
Thanks Darryboy

Paul in NZ
19th July 2004, 12:37
COOL!
Sounds like the way they manufacture the school qualifications these days... no one fails, just keep going till you pass.
Thanks Darryboy

Or we lower the (obviously unfair) standards to accomodate you... :niceone:

Don't stress... You will do fine... If not, at least you will have a clear understanding of what you need to do to pass.... :brick:

Paul N

(aint no standard low enough)

Devil
19th July 2004, 13:09
Yeh, I went to passrite as well (www.passrite.co.nz) rode their 250 (had never ridden a bike without a centrifugal clutch before) and it was easy as.

If you've already been riding around you'll hose through.

geoffm
19th July 2004, 14:30
Craig Wiffen does them at the Aucklan dMotorcycle club in Ellerslie. Usually has an ad in the T&E, or ring th eoffice and they will give you the details.
The power of the mighty KH100 can be yours for a wee while...
Geoff

Posh Tourer :P
19th July 2004, 14:31
I went to Doug Swanson on the shore. He was very laid back and cheap. He had GN250. the test is really easy. Swerve between cones... a bikelength apart or so, turn a corner, stop, go , stop in a corner, go in a straight line. I think thats about it. Oh and dont go over 30kmh... :S

greenhorn
19th July 2004, 14:43
after reading these messages, there is no way i'll be owning up to failing this if i do..

greenhorn
19th July 2004, 14:48
Even if i fail at least i can console myself that i passed my school c the old fashioned way... back when a pass was a pass and a fail was a fail, and you could get the cane for talking back to the "Sir"s. And kids who wore roman sandals got bogwashed and we wore winkel pickers to school on mufti days and ... but i digress. I feel like an old fart ahhhh thats better

Yarg
19th July 2004, 15:49
John Wright does the basic handling course. Ph 025-227 05766. :niceone:

yessum
19th July 2004, 16:39
can vouch for this fella. It started with a chat about road conditions and safety, and an hour or so of puttering around (weaving cones, turning etc) before the test... plenty of time particularly if you've ridden before. Bike was a CB250 if I recall. Don't know how price compares to others.

Ms Piggy
19th July 2004, 16:51
You also need to be able to go slow but it sounds to me like you're more than ready! :niceone: Go for it!

jrandom
19th July 2004, 16:54

Yup. I did the pre-test course with him, very good it was too. He wrote the "You and your motorcycle" section at the front of the Road Code, he can't be that stupid...

tuscan
19th July 2004, 17:56
I did my test with a guy called Lee Hurley (I think) who, at least sometimes uses this site. I think he calls himself Rusty.

He was really good, as I had never ridden before and the test was pretty easy. Also it was inexpensive. Go to the silverbullet website to find a link to email him. :niceone:

Zapf
2nd August 2004, 23:24
I went to Doug Swanson on the shore. He was very laid back and cheap. He had GN250. the test is really easy. Swerve between cones... a bikelength apart or so, turn a corner, stop, go , stop in a corner, go in a straight line. I think thats about it. Oh and dont go over 30kmh... :S

Got my test and course with Doug as well. Great guy, and he really goes thru it with you bit by bit. Loved the tennis ball cones :eek:

Was it a GN250 or 125?

3rd August 2004, 09:22
he had a red and black 250 with a rusty muffler when i went. Mind you, that was a few years ago now..... 4 maybe??

ching_ching
3rd August 2004, 13:37
Even if i fail at least i can console myself that i passed my school c the old fashioned way... back when a pass was a pass and a fail was a fail, and you could get the cane for talking back to the "Sir"s.

:Offtopic: Ahh, the cane. Ever being part of a class of 20 young fullas who each got six of the best for one bastard's action of stealing the teacher's rugby shorts in MetalWork Shop? I have. Everyone of us had deep welts on our ass. Ahh the memories.

:2thumbsup

aff-man
3rd August 2004, 13:43
Went to the auckland motorcycle club. Was a little harder than what these guys say but the guy was really nice. He did mark me down for over-revving but what the hell was i meant to do the stupid thing had no rev counter and spluttered like an old dog. Managed to get the front wheel off the ground going up the ramp though :bleh: . Silly 125 2 smoker.

Zapf
3rd August 2004, 22:51
Heheh.. the red GN250 is still there. And he told me its 18 years old!

FROSTY
4th August 2004, 00:24
leerusty is the man you guys are refering to.
The basic Sand H test involves the following.
1 weaving around cones without touching a cone and without putting your feet down--Best way to practice is in a carpark and use the ends of parking spaces to weave around.
The secret here is NOT to look down at the cones--look where you want to go.
2) Stopping using both brakes in a straight line when indicated to by the instructor--usually by dropping the arm
The idea is to demonstrate your ability to use both brakes without skidding.
3) stopping from 40km/h and comeing to a complete halt in a 600x600 square.
4) Covering a distance of 40m in a straight line 600mm wide in 12 seconds or more -without putting your feet down.
5) doing a u turn both in a left and right direction
indicating into the turn.
I might have the demensions slightly wrong but the test
is basicly like that.
If you get worried I have a set of cones so you can practice.

4th August 2004, 08:21
For sale: 18yr old Suzuki GN250, never been used over 40kmh, over revved a few times and dropped countless times....On it's 14th new mirror on the left and 21st new mirror on the right, Original exhaust/muffler probably needs replacing if you intend on doing 60kmh Call: Mr. D. Swanson Price $200

:D

Drunken Monkey
4th August 2004, 08:48
For sale: 18yr old Suzuki GN250, never been used over 40kmh, over revved a few times and dropped countless times....On it's 14th new mirror on the left and 21st new mirror on the right, Original exhaust/muffler probably needs replacing if you intend on doing 60kmh Call: Mr. D. Swanson Price $200

:D

A bargain at twice the price!

greenhorn
4th August 2004, 11:13
leerusty is the man you guys are refering to.
The basic Sand H test involves the following.
1 weaving around cones without touching a cone and without putting your feet down--Best way to practice is in a carpark and use the ends of parking spaces to weave around.
The secret here is NOT to look down at the cones--look where you want to go.
If you get worried I have a set of cones so you can practice.

Chairs very much for that XJ/FROSTY. I have been practicing that using the ends of parking spaces and have to admit i find it very difficult. :brick: I try to concentrate on where i'm going but maybe its the type of bike? My knees kind of get in the way a bit trying to turn tightly. Its a small cruiser style bike and i got long legs. Im guessing it might be easier on a different style bike where you sit more upright.
Tell me is it feasible that someone could do that cone weaving caper if they were on say a massive harley hog or something like that?

Motu
4th August 2004, 12:17
:Offtopic: Ahh, the cane. Ever being part of a class of 20 young fullas who each got six of the best for one bastard's action of stealing the teacher's rugby shorts in MetalWork Shop? I have. Everyone of us had deep welts on our ass. Ahh the memories.

:2thumbsup

What a life eh?! every day a maths test - all who failed got 2 strokes of the cane.When you're not too bright the only way to miss a canning was to cheat...well,at least I learnt something at school.The worst part is - after a real good canning we used to go into the toilets and check out the stripes....someone,or two,was getting something extra out of looking at our pink bums!

greenhorn
4th August 2004, 12:44
What a life eh?! every day a maths test - all who failed got 2 strokes of the cane.When you're not too bright the only way to miss a canning was to cheat...well,at least I learnt something at school.The worst part is - after a real good canning we used to go into the toilets and check out the stripes....someone,or two,was getting something extra out of looking at our pink bums!

Similar memories... Having to stick your head under the desk with your arse up in the air when you got the cane. First reaction was to lift your head at a great rate of knots and smash it into the underneath of the desk when the cane made contact.
Funny how that sort of punishment made us grow up to be disturbed, unbalanced, homicidal maniacs who always resort to violence, wife and child beaters, and rapists etc etc... :no:
As my old Dad used to say "A damn good hiding never hurt anybody"
Come to think of it he still says that.. still gives me a clip round the ear now and then too :niceone:

5th August 2004, 08:31
Chairs very much for that XJ/FROSTY. I have been practicing that using the ends of parking spaces and have to admit i find it very difficult. :brick: I try to concentrate on where i'm going but maybe its the type of bike? My knees kind of get in the way a bit trying to turn tightly. Its a small cruiser style bike and i got long legs. Im guessing it might be easier on a different style bike where you sit more upright.
Tell me is it feasible that someone could do that cone weaving caper if they were on say a massive harley hog or something like that?

Of course it is feasible :) I think the trick is not to over-turn or over compensate. Keep it tight otherwise you end up trying to do 90 degree turns to get in behind the cone. Don't try to miss every line end by much, just get a nice steady weaving going on.

FROSTY
5th August 2004, 10:26
Dude Im sorry to critique but--I have this question asked of me regularly
To prove the point I take the whale through and do the cone bit.
Try doing it this way
get 8 old plastic coke bottles or whatever just as long as they dont move with the wind.
Space em 5m apart in a straight line (easy way to measure it is to take 5 normal paces)
Start out 3m back from the first cone with it about 500mm to your right.
as your front wheel is next to the cone gently turn to the right
DONT look at the cones -Biggest mistake cos youll over compensate and end up putting your foot down.
The idea is to stay relaxed and use small movements.
If someone keeps fluffing it I tell em to just go up and down the street a bit to relax em.
If ya get stuck come see me ill run ya through it