PDA

View Full Version : North by Harley

Lou Girardin
19th July 2004, 20:19
It wasn't an auspicious start to my virgin Harley ride. Just before end of work on Friday it started pissing down. Typical bloody Auckland weather, and me with a, very, strange bike to ride home in peak traffic.
I haven't ridden a bike with a full screen and wide bars for years, 20 to be precise, so it was an experience. But I arrived home safely to see a weather report of heavy rain up North, so it was a case of will we, won't we.
Staturday dawned dry, and with a barn door screen in front of us; I thought, how bad could it get?
The answer was not very, 30 seconds of drizzle was it. But the roads were wet so I was very circumspect. The sun came out leaving Whangarei and it was blue sky and dry roads from there. Then my confidence built; so did the speed, as you do. Until a mild little right/left 'S' bend north of Kawakawa. The right footboard touched with a screech, folowed by the left board with a bigger screech and a solid lurch and wobble for good measure. But it takes a lot to upset 300 kg's of iron. I still thought that I better modify my cornering technique to; 'slow in, slow out'.
This seemed to do the trick and the rest of the way to Pukenui was a placid tootling along with the Harley potato...... potatoing along, changing to POTATO, POTATO, POTATO for the odd overtake.
A stop at the Maunganui fish shop for the mandatory fry-up and then a short leg to Pukenui to catch up with old friends.
Sunday was cloudy but dry for our return with a fairly strong wind. Just north of Kerikeri a particularly strong gust hit us, I saw the tank bag start to lift and before I could grab it, it was gone. I watched it bouncing down the road at 110 km/h. We U-turned and went back with visions of destroyed glasses phones, etc. But it had one very small tear in the outer skin and nothing was broke. Tough gear that Givi stuff.
The rest of the trip was uneventful until Glorit on SH16. Then we saw the, sometimes, dreaded sight of a group of bikers at the side of the road. Sure enough, one of them had lost it on some gravel at the apex of one of Transit NZ's non-substandard roads and the bike went over the bank. Fortunately the rider wasn't badly hurt, but his bike was totalled.
We left the scene and about 3 km's further on, we saw bike headlights coming up fast behind. Then one headlight disappeared and the bike seemed to get a lot taller. This was one, serious, wheelie. I thought he was going to overtake us on the rear wheel, but I guess he proved his point and dropped it down. Great sight though!
A half an hour later it was home, sweet home again.
So that was my first Harley ride. Would I buy one ? No, just not my thing. But I do see the attraction. These are bikes in the old mould, they actually feel alive. As if they have a beating heart inside , not machinery. But they don't go and they don't handle.
And most non-bikers drool over them.They are posing pouches on wheels.

What?
19th July 2004, 20:30
Good to see that last paragraph, Lou. I was about to suggest you head south for a good, long chat... :laugh:

Wenier
19th July 2004, 20:59
good to hear that they still run on potatoes. Glad you enjoyed the ride, lucky for you to have some fine weather i was lucky enough to get a perfect day on sunday otherwise since thursday last week it had been shite :( , and of course i started the course today so the last good full day of riding was sunday for a bit.

scumdog
19th July 2004, 23:57
[/QUOTE]But they don't go and they don't handle.

Wrong model of H-D for any handling or go, you'll find all cruisers (H-D and Jap) much the same, they're good for there intended purpose - cruising two-up with a fair amount of gear and in comfort.
Wouldn't work on a Buell!!

Maybe you're just trolling so I'll restrain myself :blink:

White trash
20th July 2004, 07:43
What were you riding Lou? A Heritage or a Roadking?

NotaGoth
20th July 2004, 08:45
But they don't go and they don't handle.

They don't go and they don't handle? *pffft*

Motoracer
20th July 2004, 10:57
Hey Lou, you prolly should have stuck this under the KB bike review section. Good write up!

They don't go and they don't handle? *pffft*

Like Lou said, they are good but they are very different. If you wana compair them to most of the other similar engine sized mordern road/sports bikes then harleys would be inferior interms of speed and handeling. But it's like compairing apples to oranges I guess...

Mongoose
20th July 2004, 11:05

Wrong model of H-D for any handling or go, you'll find all cruisers (H-D and Jap) much the same, they're good for there intended purpose - cruising two-up with a fair amount of gear and in comfort.

Maybe you're just trolling so I'll restrain myself :blink:[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that its not you that is trolling SD? Have you forgotten the handling of a Guzzi Cali? :2thumbsup beware, not all tourers are the same folks, some do go, stop AND corner all be it maybe not quite like wot some of yous fella ride :thud:

Mongoose
20th July 2004, 11:07
After all that i dun did near fergettled to ask you Lou, what was the big windscreen thingy like to ride behind? Might have to look at summit like that for the Guzzi, running out of neck for the surgeons to operate on.

James Deuce
20th July 2004, 11:10

Maybe you're just trolling so I'll restrain myself :blink:

Are you sure that its not you that is trolling SD? Have you forgotten the handling of a Guzzi Cali? :2thumbsup beware, not all tourers are the same folks, some do go, stop AND corner all be it maybe not quite like wot some of yous fella ride :thud:

I wouldn't call HDs tourers. I hooked up with a Venture Royale (Yamaha full dress tourer) on Sunday and he punted along as fast as I would want to go and keep my license and freedom. I agree that a MG Cali punts along quite well too.

NotaGoth
20th July 2004, 11:15
I'll be good and not mention anything about jap crap :puke:

Sorry MR but you definately know where I stand. Daddy's orders.

*theresa*

Mongoose
20th July 2004, 11:20
I wouldn't call HDs tourers. I hooked up with a Venture Royale (Yamaha full dress tourer) on Sunday and he punted along as fast as I would want to go and keep my license and freedom. I agree that a MG Cali punts along quite well too.

Yep, have had the odd suprise by a jap full dresser on more than the one time, just soo silent and lean over, Jiminy cricketts they can lean. :shit:

merv
20th July 2004, 11:21
Goldwings get along at a good clip too and they can corner with decent ground clearance.

I haven't ridden with many Harleys but have occasionally ridden with guys that aren't slugs.

James Deuce
20th July 2004, 11:35
Goldwings get along at a good clip too and they can corner with decent ground clearance.

I haven't ridden with many Harleys but have occasionally ridden with guys that aren't slugs.

I have a riding buddy with a Fat Boy (Man, that sounds dodgey!) who is surprisingly quick. Really uses road camber to his advantage.

Motoracer
20th July 2004, 11:39
I'll be good and not mention anything about jap crap :puke:

Sorry MR but you definately know where I stand. Daddy's orders.

*theresa*

Ha! It wouldn't take long for me to earn his respect. If only I could go on a ride with him, yous would have seen the truth for yourselves. :bleh:

NotaGoth
20th July 2004, 11:58
Ha! It wouldn't take long for me to earn his respect. If only I could go on a ride with him, yous would have seen the truth for yourselves. :bleh:

You'd already have his respect hun. Wish you could both go for a ride with each other, you'd both be in for a suprise.

Jackrat
20th July 2004, 12:28
So where's the point in all you knockers chucking off at a bike that is the lowest in the range and was designed for yank roads?
Harleys don't have ground clearance ??.How many of you dreamers have ever ridden a FXRS or XLH??

Lou Girardin
20th July 2004, 21:53
What were you riding Lou? A Heritage or a Roadking?

Heritage. I've been told they're not the best for 'spirited' riding. Not that running it in is spirited.

Lou Girardin
20th July 2004, 21:57
After all that i dun did near fergettled to ask you Lou, what was the big windscreen thingy like to ride behind? Might have to look at summit like that for the Guzzi, running out of neck for the surgeons to operate on.

This screen was not good as the edge was right in my line of sight. I had to crane to look over it or slouch to look through it. If it had been the correct height it would have been great, lots of protection. Like riding in a pocket of still air and no bugs on the visor.

Lou Girardin
20th July 2004, 22:02
So where's the point in all you knockers chucking off at a bike that is the lowest in the range and was designed for yank roads?
Harleys don't have ground clearance ??.How many of you dreamers have ever ridden a FXRS or XLH??

What struck me about it Jack, is that there's no margin for error. If you overdo a corner there's no more lean angle to be had and that's fatal for many of the born agains that buy these bikes.
I am looking forward to getting my hands on an Electra Glide though.

Jackrat
21st July 2004, 10:48
What struck me about it Jack, is that there's no margin for error. If you overdo a corner there's no more lean angle to be had and that's fatal for many of the born agains that buy these bikes.
I am looking forward to getting my hands on an Electra Glide though.

Yeah I can certainly agree there.I know a heap of guys that will not own an
ST of any type for that very reason.They all end up on FXRs.
I just get tired of hearing the same old thing from people that have never been there anyway,it's kind'a like "I know nothing but listen to me anyway"
I've seen big Kawasaki cruisers dragging everything in sight and the same goes for my father in laws Susuki Zolusia.Harleys are not Ducatis,Dukes arn't gold wings.As for harleys not being tourers, :laugh: Just which model was that guy talking about,or has he only ever seen the one.Hell HD is THE original
touring motorcycle,was doing it for years before most other manufactures today even exsisted.
Anyway,good write up and I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an Electra Glide either.

Mongoose
21st July 2004, 10:59
This screen was not good as the edge was right in my line of sight. I had to crane to look over it or slouch to look through it. If it had been the correct height it would have been great, lots of protection. Like riding in a pocket of still air and no bugs on the visor.

Cheers, thanks for that Lou, have a screen off a Hardly on offer to me, must go see if it fits the Guzzi

Jackrat
21st July 2004, 16:42
Mongoose,my Father in law just put an HD screen on his Volusia,They mount up real easy even tho he had to make up a couple of simple brackets.He made sure he left the HD stickers on it,that should get a good rise out of somebody.

Lou Girardin
22nd July 2004, 06:58
Cheers, thanks for that Lou, have a screen off a Hardly on offer to me, must go see if it fits the Guzzi

It'll be real good if it's detachable, lift 2 clips and it's off.
Lou

What?
22nd July 2004, 19:56
Mongoose,my Father in law just put an HD screen on his Volusia,They mount up real easy even tho he had to make up a couple of simple brackets.He made sure he left the HD stickers on it,that should get a good rise out of somebody.
Heh heh.. I like your style, Jack. Nothing like winding up those who are a bit too precious about their favourite bike :devil2:

sporty03
22nd July 2004, 23:40
I guess the last few sentences are fair enough Lou. That's why I ride a sporty, bit more nimble. Went out with some guys one time and a 1200 Bandit took off (looking pretty smooth I might add) and left us (2 old beggars) to tootle along at a mere 120 - 130 klicks in our own sweet time. Mind you, he had to wait for us at the pub stop. 4 lemonades and a coke later, we were off again. HDs are definately a different breed, as are probably the people that ride them. Horses for courses and all that. Leave you young fellas to the bucking broncos and I'll stay laid back on the draught horse. :ride:

Lou Girardin
25th July 2004, 14:05
Got back on the Bandit after a week of Harleying, it felt like a toy. A quick, good stopping, quick turning one.
That cured me.

scumdog
9th August 2004, 01:22
Got back on the Bandit after a week of Harleying, it felt like a toy. A quick, good stopping, quick turning one.
That cured me.

Lou, Lou, Lou, you just don't get it, do you?? <_<