PDA

View Full Version : Reactions & Indicators

XP@
11th December 2006, 15:49
Whilst in the cage with my other half she started nutting off about drivers not indicating. For me, I hadn't noticed it for ages, so I started thinking why. I hadn't even noticed that the cages that hadn't used the indicators, instead I had already anticipated their move. Since then I have returned to my comfort zone (on the bike) I've noticed that in most cases a lane change or turn is quite obvious long before the indicator is used.

Part of my wondering lead me to looking at what we react to it seems that the flashing lights of an indicator are secondary compared to a minute movement of the drivers head or position on the road.

Change in colour:
http://www.happyhub.com/network/reflex/

Movement:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/

Motu
11th December 2006, 16:20
That's why I wonder what all the crap is about indicating at roundabouts - you should be able to tell what each vehicle is doing without indicators....there are plenty of clues,as a bike rider you need to know them.

paturoa
11th December 2006, 18:35
yeah but then you get the slowing down ones where neither me or them knwo which way they r going!

paulj
11th December 2006, 19:31
Yeah - damned right - having driven many 100,000's of K's over the years I too have concluded that there is a 'body language' from cages and their 'aimers'.

Down here in Queenstown I get allsorts - driving to and from work through the Kawarau gorge I note that 'business' traffic (8am 5pm) is vastly different from midday stuff - truckies, pro-drivers ... are great to travel with, predicable, fast and relaxing - but the midday ones, tourists, gawkers, campervans ... live in a different universe and somehow I don't fit!

I too can predict with reasonable certainty, what is going to happen by the attitude of the vehicle, etc etc ... much better than relying on their indicators!!

On on

Lou Girardin
11th December 2006, 19:43
Reading driving language is like knowing body language and it can save your life.

Trudes
11th December 2006, 19:49
People who don't know where they are going are just bloody dangerous. Every time I get behind the wheel or on my bike, I like to know exactly where I'm going and the route I want to take. I hate being lost and like to get where I'm going with minimal of fuss and stress. My husband on the other hand is what I like to call 'an aimless driver', will often drive without having a plan and when passing the exit or the road we should have taken gets really pissed off when he's ask 'where are you going?' cause he hasn't actually thought about it. These people cause accidents I reckon as they make decisions 1 second before they react.

mangell6
11th December 2006, 19:55
My daughter was mouthing off at people and their lack of 'indication' as she and her fiance nearly got wiped out with a car just filling the gap in front of them on Friday. I started to look around and while it is obvious for some people others don't have a clue where they are going let alone people outside of their vehicle.

eliot-ness
11th December 2006, 20:45
Flashing indicators were unknown when I started riding. All indications had to be done with hand signals, bikes and cars. Try that on black ice or snow. Road positioning was an essential survival skill and every learner was taught it.

sunhuntin
11th December 2006, 20:50
heading to work today, i nearly ran up the ass of a car who pulled out from parked with no indication. i was checking my mirror, and saw the movement out the corner of my eye. there were no signs from the back that the car was any different to the other parked cars...no brake lights, backing lights, angle in the park, nothing. dumbass pulled out behind a well behaved young male driver, who slowed down, and wound up pinned between him and myself with the high beam.
though i must admit, i am pretty well able to guess at roundabouts, but prefer to wait to make sure first.

Meekey_Mouse
11th December 2006, 22:08
Wow, that is really weird... in the reflex game my reflex time changes on the colours. I'm quicker with lime green then darkslate grey... which doesn't really shock me. Kinda makes me wonder about wearing a fluro vest while on the bike though, as at the moment I don't wear one and really don't want to :p but it may help morons see me.

Car body language is a great skill to have, I'm defiantly still learning to try and read un-predictable drivers but I find the front wheel and the persons face (if you can see it) are great things to closely watch. Also, what is happening in the car is a big thing... if there is young kids in the car then the driver is most likely going to be distracted and in a hurry.

Jas

XP@
12th December 2006, 11:12
heading to work today, i nearly ran up the ass of a car who pulled out from parked with no indication. i was checking my mirror, and saw the movement out the corner of my eye. there were no signs from the back that the car was any different to the other parked cars...no brake lights, backing lights, angle in the park, nothing. dumbass pulled out behind a well behaved young male driver, who slowed down, and wound up pinned between him and myself with the high beam.
though i must admit, i am pretty well able to guess at roundabouts, but prefer to wait to make sure first.

I've had it happen to me, but with experience i am finding it easier to notice things like a driver in the seat or a wheel moving. When scanning a row of parked cars my main scan is the front wheel and then the driver. A parked car isn't going to become a problem unless it's wheel is pointing towards the road, then it will only become a problem if it has a driver or you cannot see the driver.
So when you are riding passed a line of parked cars be aware of the front wheels. Much like the sheep in the reaction tester, you should be ready to hit the anchors at any sign of movement ahead of you, especially of it is in your immediate (1 to 2 seconds ahead) area.

What is more you don't need to be looking directly at the cars to be aware of their movement. This is because your peripheral vision is quite good at picking up movement. Try the sheep game looking at the sheep, note you times. then look at the top left of your monitor and try it again, although your reactions will be a tad slower, with practice you can get similar times.

If you ain't sure then slow down to give your self a better view. Similar to the passenger being dropped off at the lights when you are lane splitting down the left. One morning I had three of them attempt to get me within about 500m! If the first thing you see is the door opening then you are quite possibly too late. Now I use the triggers - it is morning, I am near the school, cars stopped at lights, slow down, identify cars with passengers, head movement (driver and passenger look at each other before getting out) = slow lots, black line appears in door line = stop. Since adopting this method I have had not been surprised by someone getting out of a car. Improving my peripheral vision and optimising my attention seems to have reduced surprises from most other quarters too.