PDA

View Full Version : RG150 replacement front light bulbs

McJim
11th December 2006, 20:41
I took my wife's RG150 out for a squirt the other night - I'm normally quite happy to go for a blat out to Clevedon or Ardmore after dinner in the dark on my honda. Once night falls the RG150 becomes a very scary bike at anything but the slowest speeds.

In conclusion - the bike needs brighter lights.

What are the options? What is the maximum wattage I can install without frying the electrics?

vamr
11th December 2006, 20:52
I took my wife's RG150 out for a squirt the other night - I'm normally quite happy to go for a blat out to Clevedon or Ardmore after dinner in the dark on my honda. Once night falls the RG150 becomes a very scary bike at anything but the slowest speeds.

In conclusion - the bike needs brighter lights.

What are the options? What is the maximum wattage I can install without frying the electrics?

You won't fry any electrics. The current is quite limited in the first place.

As to the brightest bulbs I'd be interested to know also, I generally ride with the highbeams on as they aren't really bright enough to be annoying to anyone in front.

Saying that I don't find myself out at night beyond the decently lit streets of the cbd.

davereid
11th December 2006, 21:03
In another thread Cobalt had a similar problem with his GN250. He tried a 55W halogen bulb as a replacement for the original 35W. He reported it was a great improvement. So far it has not overheated the wiring - if this was going to happen you would see it on the plug at the back of the headlight, so keep an eye on this if you make the change. The change from 35w to 55w is 20w- about the same as a cheap soldering iron, so don't just assume it will be OK !
The bikes alternator is coping OK, reaching 14 volts at the battery terminals at 2000-3000 rpm. You should test yours, this is a reasonable figure and shows you are still charging your battery.

Ixion
11th December 2006, 22:23
Be a trifle cautious if you do a lot of riding around town at night. The output of those little units falls off sharply at low revs and the batteries are small. Sitting at lights and such at night can drain them surprisingly fast.

I see this on the GT500 - it's a 500 but with a VERY small generator. The original 25/35 bulb has been replaced by a 55/60 which is fine on the open road at night , but night commuting runs the battery down. Doesn't matter on the Titan , cos it's magneto ignition so who cares, but a coil ignition bike could start to misbehave, especially a two smoker, they're fussy about spark

Flyingpony
12th December 2006, 07:53
I'd also be careful regarding the light housing unit. It might be plastic in which case, you shouldn't put in a bulb bigger than factory wattage otherwise it might melt due to the extra heat being generated. More watts equals more heat.

F5 Dave
13th December 2006, 16:47
My YZF has FXR150 headlights on it (lightweight & I rarely ride this bike at night). I replaced the bulbs (which are the old style bayonet type fitting) from std to Halogen of the same wattage. Big improvement. If the bike shop doesn't have a bulb Yamaha Blasters use Halogen 35W of this fitting.

Beware as said too hot a bulb in plastic shell. Farm DR200s used to melt the shell so it drops off I'm told.

Sketchy_Racer
13th December 2006, 20:10
Ixion,

The RGs head lights dont operate off the battery, they are a direct connection to the alternator..... So no battery to flatten.

The battery runs:

Brake light (but not park light)
Rev counter
Indicators
Powervalve servo

Good luck.... the light on my KRR150 was pretty horrible too, but i didnt right much at night

davereid
13th December 2006, 20:14
I ran into Rob and Richard fron Ericsson auto electrical today, and discussed this with them. They said that while electrics may handle a larger wattage globe, new halogen lamps are available that provide much better lighting but are the same wattage. F5 Dave, Flyingpony and Ixion are right ! dont go up in wattage, get a better globe ! In some previous threads I had said 50 wats may be ok. I've changed my mind !

vamr
20th December 2006, 18:22
I replaced the blown original bulb with a halogen one of the same rating (12v30/30w) as per F5 Dave's recommendation. The improvement is significant but that could partially be because of me getting used to the "on its last legs" relatively dim predecessor.

Mt. Eden MC didn't have any in stock, went to the place across the road (the ducati dealer). $25 or there abouts.