PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons: Canadian riding in new zealand?

sunhuntin
11th December 2006, 20:45
hey gang....as mentioned in PF's thread in general, my partner is thinking about going for his passport and coming over here from canada.
hes been riding since he was a kid, basically, and is now 56. a bike accident 12 years ago nearly killed him and left him brain injured.
he has several convictions from the 70s [not sure what kind]
he owns and rides an 83 shovel, and a 65 pan. deckers [electra glides]
what rules/laws apply to him here, other than the same as us? can he ride on his license? if so, for how long? is he cc limited at all? if he does come over, the license deal will be the decider in whether i find him a bike here, or whether he pillions with me.
how does insurance work for foreigners?

any advice much appreciated...id love to have him over here, and him be able to ride his own bike, but am also happy to play taxi, as he did for me for 6 months while i was there.

Harry33
11th December 2006, 20:58
Not sure if this will help...as I'm not sure if it applies to Bike Licences.

My wifes Canadian and when she went for her Drivers licence she just had to do a scratch test. No practial driving test needed as they like Canadian licences.
Now on the other hand when I go to live in Canada next year I have to sit a practical test. Bastards!! lol

With his convictions will he be allowed into the country?

The_Dover
11th December 2006, 20:59
my advice.

watch out for fuckin niggers in hoodies trying to run you into the bushes.

sunhuntin
11th December 2006, 21:04

My wifes Canadian and when she went for her Drivers licence she just had to do a scratch test. No practial driving test needed as they like Canadian licences.
Now on the other hand when I go to live in Canada next year I have to sit a practical test. Bastards!! lol

With his convictions will he be allowed into the country?

thanks harry. im not sure on the convictions things. from what i guess, they are minor, and 30-odd years old. doesnt touch the stuff these days and rarely drinks. i know american stops him at the borders all the time, so he doesnt bother trying to get through, but then they stop almost everyone!

Motu
11th December 2006, 21:08
I had my Canadian nephew out a couple of years ago,he has no bike licence,but just drove any car he like...no problems.He has dual citizenship,but doubt that has much to do with it.

Waylander
11th December 2006, 21:09

That's what it was comming from the states aswell. He may even be able to ride around for a year before having to get his liscence converted over aswell. But he would need to carry his passport on him at all times just incase he does get pulled over. That one I know from experiance.

The_Dover
11th December 2006, 21:12
we're talking about you gaylander, not to you.

NhuanH
11th December 2006, 21:13
I believe South Park had something to say about Canada....

Waylander
11th December 2006, 21:16
we're talking about you gaylander, not to you.
Do you even have a purpose on this site or anything construtive to add other than more broken gixxer bits?

Harry33
11th December 2006, 21:17
my advice.

watch out for fuckin niggers in hoodies trying to run you into the bushes.

Have you had a close call lately?

The_Dover
11th December 2006, 21:19
Do you even have a purpose on this site or anything construtive to add other than more broken gixxer bits?

what does construtive mean fagnuts?

Ridden your shitheap lately? or are you still saving for a litre of gas?

Hell, I gave your mom five bucks last time I blasted her in the ass. Go steal from her purse.

Waylander
11th December 2006, 21:24
what does construtive mean fagnuts?

Ridden your shitheap lately? or are you still saving for a litre of gas?

Hell, I gave your mom five bucks last time I blasted her in the ass. Go steal from her purse.
She's using that to try and get rid of the plethora of STDs she got from you.

And so I missed a letter, if you're twice as brain dead as you act you should be able to figure it out.

sunhuntin
11th December 2006, 21:26
good info waylander...but can you and dover go fight it out elsewhere? lookin for info, not insults. i plan to show this thread to glenn....dont really want him scared off!

The_Dover
11th December 2006, 21:29
Tell her to fucken harden up.

All the best pro's have a bit of gangreneous fanny batter, it's cheaper than lube and doubles up as dip for the post coital corn chips.

Brain dead, nice one special ed. How's that degree in truss nailing working out for you these days?

sunhuntin
11th December 2006, 21:39
Tell her to fucken harden up.

All the best pro's have a bit of gangreneous fanny batter, it's cheaper than lube and doubles up as dip for the post coital corn chips.

Brain dead, nice one special ed. How's that degree in truss nailing working out for you these days?

ummm, im the her here. my partner is a he. all im asking is for you and waylander to keep your crap out of my thread.

Squeak the Rat
12th December 2006, 13:05
Are you talking about a visitors visa or something a bit more permanent?

I wouldn't expect a problem if it's he's coming in as a visitor, I believe you can sponsor him to make it easier. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/visitors/default.htm

If it's longer term then immigration rules or work permits may apply and there are restrictions around convictions and health. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/AC468617-95B4-48ED-9CBA-586A97836AFE/0/1018.pdf

Can drive/ride for one year on a Canadian licence (as per waylanders post above) at the level of the canadian one.

sunhuntin
12th December 2006, 13:19
Are you talking about a visitors visa or something a bit more permanent?

I wouldn't expect a problem if it's he's coming in as a visitor, I believe you can sponsor him to make it easier. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/visitors/default.htm

If it's longer term then immigration rules or work permits may apply and there are restrictions around convictions and health. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/AC468617-95B4-48ED-9CBA-586A97836AFE/0/1018.pdf

Can drive/ride for one year on a Canadian licence (as per waylanders post above) at the level of the canadian one.

right now, just as a visitor. so he would be able to ride a decker here on his license? only thing im worried about is him messing up and ending up on the wrong side of the road....think i may have to lead him till hes used to it.

cheers ratty....bling comin your way.

NinjaBoy
12th December 2006, 16:43
right now, just as a visitor. so he would be able to ride a decker here on his license? only thing im worried about is him messing up and ending up on the wrong side of the road....think i may have to lead him till hes used to it.

He should be able to ride on his Canadian licence for a year. Not too sure about insurance though but if he can legally ride I expect he should be able to get cover.

Yep... get him to follow u for a while as it takes some time to get used to riding on the correct side of the road... especially at roundabouts !

Waylander
12th December 2006, 17:13

I actually found that easier on the bike than in a car for some reason. In town when you have other traffic it shouldn't be a problem.

Squeak the Rat
12th December 2006, 17:17
Interesting, probably cars are harder because you have to deal with different driving position and road position. I always found roundybouts a bit confusing for the first day or two....

You could always make a bright flouro arrow and stick it on the handlebars or above the speedo pointing left......much like rental cars do.

Waylander
12th December 2006, 17:19
Only problem I had at roundabouts was that damn indicator law. Wich is why I just don't bother.

Could also just have been the biker alertness as apposed to standard cager ignorance.