PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket size suggestions

boomer
12th December 2006, 14:03
Guys,

i'm gonna go do a look see now, but i thought i'd post too..and ask for suggestions or ideas.

my cbr600rr '05 needs a new chain and probably sprockets too so i thought i'd look at changing the sprocket size; mainly to get some more oomph in first and second.. and i'm thinking it might help with my poor ass attempts at wheelies ( yeah i know, grow bigger balls not get smaller sprockets )

so.. any idea's or suggestions

Cheers,
Boomer

WickedOne
12th December 2006, 14:06
What are the standard sprocket sizes on your bike?

boomer
12th December 2006, 14:21
the rear has 43 stamped on it, dunno about the front;

Doing a quick search; ( does this help?)
Primary Drive Gear Teeth (Ratio) 76/36 (2.111:1)
Final Drive Sprocket Teeth (Ratio) 46/16 (2.688:1)

back to cbr600rr.com for more of a browse..

FilthyLuka
12th December 2006, 14:24
Final Drive Sprocket Teeth (Ratio) 46/16 (2.688:1)

46 rear, 16 front... you want more acceleration? drop a tooth on the front sprocket... dont go more than one tooth or shit gets difficult...

so get a 15 tooth front sprocket

denden

Fishy
12th December 2006, 14:24
drop one tooth on the front. You will notice the difference.

If you want a significant increase then drop one in the front and add 2-3 to the rear.

Just remember that your speedo will be over reading if you do it though.

FilthyLuka
12th December 2006, 14:26

shit gets difficult

lol... sorry, had to add that...

denden

Fishy
12th December 2006, 14:27
you can get a speedo healer for it though which will sort out the over reading.

FilthyLuka
12th December 2006, 14:28
you can get a speedo healer for it though which will sort out the over reading.

im not sure but dont cbr's take reading at front wheel?

WickedOne
12th December 2006, 14:29
drop one tooth on the front. You will notice the difference.

If you want a significant increase then drop one in the front and add 2-3 to the rear.

Agreed, by dropping one tooth on the front it is the equivelant of going up 3 (as far as I am aware) on the rear. Changing the front should only cost you about $30 but the rear will be about $70-80. My suggestion would be down one on the front and if you want more acceleration after that then look at going up on the rear.

Fishy
12th December 2006, 14:31
im not sure but dont cbr's take reading at front wheel?

I think only the older ones do.

could be wrong though

kiwifruit
12th December 2006, 14:36
drop one at the front bro, will make a nice difference.
worked for me! :sunny:

you will loose a little top speed, not enough to worry about

Fishy
12th December 2006, 14:38
If you want the speedo healer I think they are around $150NZ.

The CBR600RR from 05 onwards requires the Honda 2 harness kit as well..... http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/order.htm

boomer
12th December 2006, 14:49
Cheers guys,

yeah, from trawling through the posts at cbr600rr.com they're all suggesting -1 on the front as you guys do. For ease ( no speedo healer, easier on teh gas and less loss in top speed )

they're also saying the speedo healer is needed as its run of the trans ( if i do go up on the back ), so i'll drop the front by one and see how we go.

cheers all :thumbsup:

bugjuice
12th December 2006, 15:03
how many k's has your bike done? just curious.

+1 on -1 on the front tooooo
that's what i intend on doing a little later, and getting a speedo healer (regardless). Just be warned that some bikes (like mine) getting the front sprocket off is a biatch..

and grow some balls and just wheelie the damn thing!!

ManDownUnder
12th December 2006, 15:07

I used to have balls...

then we got married

Cajun
12th December 2006, 15:09
i have done -1/+2 on the sixxer and also got a speedo healer put on

boomer
12th December 2006, 16:50
how many k's has your bike done? just curious.

+1 on -1 on the front tooooo
that's what i intend on doing a little later, and getting a speedo healer (regardless). Just be warned that some bikes (like mine) getting the front sprocket off is a biatch..

22,797k's since november 10th 2005. i've always been early on my 6k services, so the bikes due its 24k. I cleaned the bike yesterday and saw the chain looked as slack as Dovers ass, so i cleaned it and tightened it BUT the chain is fudged i reckon; half of its tight and the other halfs loose as, so theres a HUGE tight spot in it somewhere... hence thinkin about changing sprockets and chains.

i'll go -1 at the moment and if i need more i'll spend the extra moola on a new rear sprocket, healer and 520 conversion kit.

boomer
12th December 2006, 16:53
ps.. Glen and i filled up at the same time on the way down to wellywood, him on his seven fiddy.

i used at least a litre more each refill and we were toe to toe all the way down... so if anyones looking for a reason to upgrade, fuel efficiency!!!

WarlockNZ
12th December 2006, 17:14
You can always use this cool spreadsheet I have .. i used it for my bike .. but it will work with any.

Just enter in all your info and then start playing around :)

Enjoy

bugjuice
12th December 2006, 22:21
ps.. Glen and i filled up at the same time on the way down to wellywood, him on his seven fiddy.

i used at least a litre more each refill and we were toe to toe all the way down... so if anyones looking for a reason to upgrade, fuel efficiency!!!
I wouldn't read too much into that mate..
There's a few things to factor in. For one, Glens bike is far from stock. So yes, his could probably drink more than yours. But, you have to work it harder to achieve the same performance.
Plus, yours is a Honda and his a Suzuki. Not that it's a big deal, but my 600 would be different to your 600. I thought I'd be nearing the bone every 200kms, which is what I was used to, especially after the muzzy and PC. But I only used around 13 litres for 200kms (17 litre tank) and that was 2 up! go figure.

boomer
13th December 2006, 07:57
If you get a new chain and front sprocket then you will need a rear sprocket as well. The old one will be worn and will prematurely (like dover) wear out the new chain.
Why would you want a 520 conversion Duncan? They wear quicker and will have very little advantage for you. They are only used by guys racing to reduce weight. I wouldnt bother.
As for speedo healer that would be ok, but you were my speedo healer last week remember.. 100k =115, and 110k = 122, on my bike at least.

true on all accounts mate, oooh what to do. oh... feck it -1/+2

bugjuice
13th December 2006, 08:42
yeah, but speedie, don't forget the speedo healer also corrects the odometer. if you don't care about it, then no worries..

Cajun
13th December 2006, 08:43
boomber if you do -1/+2 your top speed is gonna be greatly reduced maybe bike top out about 250ish maybe touch less now.

but saying that it gets there alot quicker. and alot more pull.

Personally i went down to 520 kit instead of factory 525 when i did mine, not really much difference really compared to stock, few grams of weight, and aftermarket chain is alot stronger than the factory one(which i got little under 30,000kms out of it)

Make sure ya pick a speedo healer, they are handy cause once ya brought it you can move it from bike to bike, just need to get a new harness for new bike. each time(unless sell bike with speedohealer attached)

Cajun
13th December 2006, 09:34
good site for changes in gearing = http://www.xs4all.nl/~ator0437/gc/ (does not have all bikes listed but does have a 03 cbr 600rr, same as 05 i believe)

boomer
14th December 2006, 11:49
This is quite confusing. Maybe i need to go the shop and make sure of sizes; My manual doesn't tell me the number of teeth and a couple of links on the webb says the rear is 46; But counting the teeth theres definately only 43, as stamped on the sprocket.

Reading this link (http://www.cycle-parts.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-48.html) it seems my counting is correct. So, i'm gonna go -1/+1 and maybe order a speedo healer in time;

Any recommendations on chains? ( i'll go do a search too ) ps..thanks all for the replies :D

Interesting snippet from link above

As we noted during the street testing, the Honda seems to have taller gearing than the others, especially in first and second gears. While going through spec charts, we found that the CBR has by far the tallest final-drive ratio, 2.688:1. While the ZX-6R uses a 15/43 sprocket combination (2.867:1), the 600s here use a 16-tooth countershaft sprocket with a variety of rear sprocket sizes. The CBR's 43-tooth rear is the smallest of the bunch (GSX-R - 45; R6 – 48), giving it less of a torque-multiplication advantage. Honda counters this with relatively shorter gearing in the transmission and less of a step between gears, but its overall ratios in the first two gears are still taller than the rest. Although this is a drawback on the street, it can actually save an upshift on the track.

"Whereas the other bikes would top out and require another gear," explains Chamberlain, "you could often get by without the extra shift on the CBR. This is somewhat irrelevant as most serious track riders will gear the bike for that specific track anyway, but I thought it worth mentioning because I think it unfairly hurt the CBR's sense of power when driving out of low-speed corners."

vifferman
14th December 2006, 11:57
boomber if you do -1/+2 your top speed is gonna be greatly reduced maybe bike top out about 250ish maybe touch less now.
Most bikes won't pull maximum revs in top gear anyway, as 6th is effectively an overdrive, so gearing them down by say, 1 tooth on the CT sprocket (or about 6%) will allow them to rev out in top and sometimes go faster than they would with stock gearing.

If you want a well-priced "speedo healer", you can get an electronic 'speedo corrector' kitset from Jaycar Electronics. It's pretty easy to solder up, and works very well. The VifFerraRi has one. :niceone:

kiwifruit
14th December 2006, 12:09
This is quite confusing. Maybe i need to go the shop and make sure of sizes; My manual doesn't tell me the number of teeth and a couple of links on the webb says the rear is 46; But counting the teeth theres definately only 43, as stamped on the sprocket.

Reading this link (http://www.cycle-parts.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-48.html) it seems my counting is correct. So, i'm gonna go -1/+1 and maybe order a speedo healer in time;

Any recommendations on chains? ( i'll go do a search too ) ps..thanks all for the replies :D

Interesting snippet from link above

As we noted during the street testing, the Honda seems to have taller gearing than the others, especially in first and second gears. While going through spec charts, we found that the CBR has by far the tallest final-drive ratio, 2.688:1. While the ZX-6R uses a 15/43 sprocket combination (2.867:1), the 600s here use a 16-tooth countershaft sprocket with a variety of rear sprocket sizes. The CBR's 43-tooth rear is the smallest of the bunch (GSX-R - 45; R6 – 48), giving it less of a torque-multiplication advantage. Honda counters this with relatively shorter gearing in the transmission and less of a step between gears, but its overall ratios in the first two gears are still taller than the rest. Although this is a drawback on the street, it can actually save an upshift on the track.

"Whereas the other bikes would top out and require another gear," explains Chamberlain, "you could often get by without the extra shift on the CBR. This is somewhat irrelevant as most serious track riders will gear the bike for that specific track anyway, but I thought it worth mentioning because I think it unfairly hurt the CBR's sense of power when driving out of low-speed corners."

just go down one on the front bro, cheep and will prolly make the difference you are looking for :sunny:

WickedOne
14th December 2006, 12:12
just go down one on the front bro, cheep and will prolly make the difference you are looking for :sunny:

Yeah, I agree. You'll probably find it will be enough, if not you can always go up on the rear at a later stage.

boomer
14th December 2006, 12:36
Cycletreads cant get hold of a non stock rear, so -1 front stock rear is the 'go'

churr churr guys!!!

Cajun
14th December 2006, 12:40
i really like the look of my black rear sprocket with gold nuts

bugjuice
14th December 2006, 12:48
itsh gooooooold!! From a shmelting aksident..

Most bikes won't pull maximum revs in top gear anyway
most ;)

Fishy
14th December 2006, 12:50
Cycletreads cant get hold of a non stock rear.

churr churr guys!!!

Go across the road to Cyclespot and get one.