PDA

View Full Version : Arghhhh I've just killed my coil

lb99
12th December 2006, 15:51
I left the key on all afternoon and cooked the coil on my Z200, so bad that it has melted the wires:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

its the best weather for months and I have to ride home in a cage:shutup:

so can anyone help me with a coil for a 1979 Z200 or tips on how to test it?

davereid
12th December 2006, 18:54
If its not sparking, its most likely the coil. I think a 79 bike may still have points not a cdi, so you could check the points are opening and closing with a standard voltmeter. You may have been unlucky - if the points had been open, leaving the key on would have been OK.

Checking a coil is quite tricky - you can measure the resistance of the windings, but often they are OK on the bench and only fail at high voltage.

lb99
12th December 2006, 19:45
it had smoke coming out of it, no continuity over either primary or secondary.
Oh, its a points model.

I may have lined up one locally

surfer
13th December 2006, 13:31
Don't try and run it with melted wiring. Replace and solder in some new wires and see what happens.

Soldering in new wires is not a hard job just a bit fiddly and timeconsuming, depends on how bad the melt down is really. Before you start have a think about what needs to be covered by heat shrink and whether you have the necessary tools like a heat gun to do all this.

If it fires up after the new wires are in I would imagine you are going to be ok with your existing coil.

lb99
13th December 2006, 14:05
it was definatly the coil, the smoke was coming from around where the ht lead goes into the coil itself, and there was plasticy gunk bubbling out from around where the low voltage wires go in

LilSel
13th December 2006, 14:30
Ahhh coils!!!

I killed one in my car on thursday... got car back monday evening... all fixed up... then last night... I blew another coil... so now have had 2 of them replaced... there is only another 2 that arent brand new... so fingers crossed I dont kill those ones too....

?????..... How do you kill a coil??

(apart from leaving key on all afternoon on bike)

lb99
13th December 2006, 14:44
Ahhh coils!!!

I killed one in my car on thursday... got car back monday evening... all fixed up... then last night... I blew another coil... so now have had 2 of them replaced... there is only another 2 that arent brand new... so fingers crossed I dont kill those ones too....

?????..... How do you kill a coil??

(apart from leaving key on all afternoon on bike)

you must have a flash as car.....
the ones on your car probably just crap out when you have no cash, I killed mine by overheating it and melting the insulation inside I think

davereid
13th December 2006, 14:50
Yeah always keep some old bolts or stones or something heavy in your wallet. If the car knows you are skint it will break down instantly !

LilSel
13th December 2006, 14:52
you must have a flash as car.....
the ones on your car probably just crap out when you have no cash, I killed mine by overheating it and melting the insulation inside I think

why you say that? lol... 4 coils=flash?? :scratch:

It's a 2L turbo... but im sure there are flasher cars around :)

hmmm.... my mechanic said that its prob cuz they were older... but both times its been after I've buried it n given it heaps.... now im wondering... If I nail it again... will I blow another one?? it was a diff coil that blew the second time... not the replaced one... *shrug*.... I dont get the whole 'coil' thing... my mini just has one... and stuffed if I know where it is on my bike lol