PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh.

Magua
20th July 2004, 21:45
Started my bike afterschool today, some smoke came out the back as I revved it, gathered it was just a cold day, but my bike never smokes :mellow: . So when I got home I had a look at the indicator for the engine oil, holy shit it's empty! So I roll the bike onto some flat ground and start it up, phew there is a small amount of oil now in the indicator (stupid gn125 has no oil light). Anyways, I don't know much about engines, oils blah blah blah, what should I top it back up with, I don't have a manual to refer to. Indiana_jones has some oil that I think he uses on his FXR, would the gn and fxr use the same oil?

Ghost Lemur
20th July 2004, 22:06
My bike uses 10w/40 (whatever the hell that means) if that's of any help.

geoffm
20th July 2004, 23:00
Started my bike afterschool today, some smoke came out the back as I revved it, gathered it was just a cold day, but my bike never smokes :mellow: . So when I got home I had a look at the indicator for the engine oil, holy shit it's empty! So I roll the bike onto some flat ground and start it up, phew there is a small amount of oil now in the indicator (stupid gn125 has no oil light). Anyways, I don't know much about engines, oils blah blah blah, what should I top it back up with, I don't have a manual to refer to. Indiana_jones has some oil that I think he uses on his FXR, would the gn and fxr use the same oil?

Might be stamped on the side of the cases or filler cap. Probably 10-40. Most good oil brands will do.
How do you measure the oil level? If it doesn't have a sightglass, then the level is often set by a screw in the side of the case. Bike level and upright, you remove the screw, and *slowly* fill it up until it comes out the hole. You won't need much. Sorry if this is all obvious
Geoff

White trash
21st July 2004, 07:50
You've got to keep a real close eye on GNs oil levels. They hold sweet FA so if the level drops, it can become a disaster very quickly without you knowing.

The oil Indy has will do the trick nicely.

Magua
21st July 2004, 08:02
:2thumbsup Thanks guys.

FROSTY
21st July 2004, 22:47
yea -wat WT said :Punk:
Gotta wonder why she has started smokin though dude

Kickaha
21st July 2004, 22:54
yea -wat WT said :Punk:
Gotta wonder why she has started smokin though dude

Dunno what it is about these bikes,but we found the same thing with the GN125 buckets if the oil gets low it starts puffing smoke.

Magua
22nd July 2004, 17:31
Filled it up while the bike was on it's side stand, :doh: . So when I placed the bike on the centre stand it was well off the gauge. So I made my first oil change too, because when I took off the bolt the spring and other pieces fell out and into the bowl I was using to catch the oil, by the time I got them out I was pretty much out of oil.

jrandom
22nd July 2004, 17:47
You've got to keep a real close eye on GNs oil levels. They hold sweet FA so if the level drops, it can become a disaster very quickly without you knowing.

The oil Indy has will do the trick nicely.

Yes. Dunno why I didn't pick up on this earlier. I know a guy who had a brand-new GN125 engine replaced under warranty. He didn't look at the oil level for a couple of weeks at one point after he'd had the bike for a few months. It wasn't leaking heavily or anything, but it managed to burn off the oil somewhere during that time and seized up good and proper.

One or two brief arguments later, he got a new engine from Suzuki NZ.