PDA

View Full Version : When an adventure ride turned trail

Transalper
13th December 2006, 22:48
Hi there, well on Saturday 9th December some of us hooked up with some non KBers (we are working on converting them) for an Adventure in the Canterbury foot hills.
As you may or may not know, the weather on this fateful day was not the best. It rained some, looked like it was going to clear, heck I swear I even saw sun for a short time and blew, rained, sleeted and snowed (not necessarily in that order) on us the rest of the day.
The fun began as i heard it with several people (both inexperienced and experienced) nipping off to get wet weather gear from such shops as the Warehouse. Next after collecting me (being that i was on Trail bike, lucky chioce IMO) our own GL soaked himself by entering a ford with a little too much enthusiasm also causing the mighty CRM to die on exit.
Next issue several km's latter saw a scrounge about toolkits for several chain joining links to repair the same CRM after it spat it's chain.
Back on the road again and no more drama for a while. Once we reached the base of operation for the day (the shearing shed, see photo), we unloaded spare fuel, had a snack and started up the first track.
Our 'Adventure Ride' quickly become quite a challenge for the bigger adventure bikes, tyres and weight were big defining things on the track which as expected with all the rain were very slippery. The ride itself reminded me very much of the actual Trail rides held around the country, an so i was greatful i was on the smallest, lightest bike with the best mud tyres of us all.
In videos to come there will be lots of wheels spinning, bikes slipping, mud and water and snow, but for now I give you PLUG's photos and an almost 3 minute video of how river crossings can go a bit wrong when you're thinking more about better positioning for videoing the next guy crossing. With out a thought as to actually crossing safely, I just dive on in... literally.
BTW. Farmer Brown so I understand doesn't want his details spread all over the net so we have been told a little descretion is needed as to where we actually went... sorry.

Transalper
13th December 2006, 22:55
The spread of bikes went something like... 3 F650 Dakars, 1 F650 Funduro, 1 CRM250, 1 CRF230, 1 XR650, 1 DR650, 1 WR450, 1 XRV750 Africa Twin, most impressed at his (The Tourists) effort on that terrain. Also a TT250, an old TT500 and i feel like i've forgotton some.

Transalper
13th December 2006, 23:06
So for the first video, there is a low quality attachment or the YouTube Way... (either way can be played in full screen, Youtube is the better picture this time)
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rXeSvAt8eaE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rXeSvAt8eaE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

For those new to YouTube...To zoom Youtube to full screen you click to the YouTube logo in the bottom right corner of the player above, that takes you to the YouTube page and then you use the button in the bottom right of the player on that page to zoom to full screen and another window pops up to play it big. As always it takes a while if you're not on Broadband to load YouTube videos. (and that's why i attached the 5mb DivX version below)

MyGSXF
13th December 2006, 23:51
woops ...:shutup:...

xwhatsit
14th December 2006, 00:10
Wow, that is really cool! I've never really felt any urge to get offroad before, but after seeing those photos, and watching that video, I want a trail bike! :D Beautiful scenery as well... I'm an Auckland boy, but I've always thought the South Island is the real New Zealand.

I laughed out loud at that last biker... I think it's the XRV750 Africa. Poor bastard! I can easily see myself doing something like that ^_^.

paulj
14th December 2006, 05:39
Great Stuff Trans ... luuuuve the helmet cam - this is what it's all about - your vid has gone into my archives and I'm ordering myself a helmet cam!! (LOL).

What we need now is engine data feedback, wetsuits and a couple of air tanks!

Wish I'd been there with you all ... more more

Crisis management
14th December 2006, 06:55
Great write up and pics! Not the sort of action we can easily get around Auckland, I'm moving down your way!

upshift
14th December 2006, 07:21
Many thanks for sharing Trans, that's a trail ride in my books so well done to all, especially the big bikes. Excellent vid and top marks for the way you have done it. Jeez, I bet that water was friggen cold.
ride on ......

cooneyr
14th December 2006, 07:35
Awsome TA,

I think the pics and vid captured the day well. Seems I was close to running on water to get to you LOL. Thats a classic vid. Looking forward to the full version hint hint.

Only one thing you forgot - the hail - we got every type of precipitation!

It was a WR450 and a TT500 and that was all of us.

Cheers
R

Transalper
14th December 2006, 07:58
lol, cheers guys, this is one of my favourate short clips so far.
There definately will be another video here to follow, a more general overview of the rest of our trip, so stay tuned. Maybe in late January by the time i get it done.

XP@
14th December 2006, 09:55
Great effort, thanks for sharing Transalper! I've done the same, but without the cam ;-)

Dear Santa,

Please put a helmet cam in my stocking this year.

Many thanks

XP@

P.S. I would like one like the one used in this really cool video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXeSvAt8eaE&eurl=)
P.P.S. I think Transalper could do with some dry undies & socks to go with his camera ;-)

cooneyr
14th December 2006, 10:04
P.P.S. I think Transalper could do with some dry undies & socks to go with his camera ;-)

I think he needed more dry stuff than that! Was bloody lucky the camera didn't get dunked so we still have the footage to prove the incident is real.

R

Ghost Lemur
14th December 2006, 12:36
I'll post the couple of pics tonight but here's my writeup from my first true adventure ride.

Started off at the crack-o-dawn slightly hungover from getting home at 1:45am from a work dinner. Got soaked on the way to the meeting point. So at the last moment made a dash to the warehouse to get some overpants (spot the bright yellow in the pics). I had been planning on getting wet weather pants but figured being summer it could be lower down on my list.

Everyone else (except for PLUG) had gone by the time I got back, so I flung on the pants and PLUG and I took off in hot pursuit. Caught up with everyone at the start of the gravely stuff, and it wasn't long before I provided the first lot of entertainment. Thought I was alright for the water crossing, but went in with way too much speed and it was slightly deeper than I expected. So over the water came and I stalled right at the end. Managed to keep the bike upright, tested the waterproofness of my new Sidi Discovery's (will do a more substantial review on these puppies when I get a chance). Managed to kick it over and continue on my way, with the wise advice of "slow in, fast out".

Slightly embarrased and nervous I was easing along trying to find the groove and relax. Going up a slight gravel incline I heard that metal breaking sound no one likes to hear. All of a sudden I'm trying to continue and getting no response. My first thought was I had fuxed my gearbox, so I was despirately trying to find a working gear.

I was therefore quite releved when I was informed that I no longer had a chain. Stopped the bike and a huddle began to form, discussing options. PLUG the legend had a chain breaker, one of the other guys had some spare links. So I got to observe (and undo a few nuts) a true adventure roadside repair. I was initially going to turn tail and head home, but it was discussed some more and decided that it would be fine for me to continue.

So Continuing on slowly and nervously, finally made it to the Woolshed. Relieved I had a quick bite to eat and cigarette before we went on the first track.

Started to slowly put the morning entertainment behind me and enjoy where I was, what I was doing. Enjoyed following the WR up the muddy grass assent, started getting into the snow and things became a bit more difficult. A lot of hardwork and a ton of support later I was up where you see in the photos. Bit of rest, piss and a smoke later. TA flew past on up further (you have some serious skills).

It was time to head down. Although I'd been nervous etc up til now, this was the first time I was scared. Decents are not currently one of my strong points even on seal. I think it's because I don't yet have confidence in the bikes abilities (and even less in my own). So the decent on snowed, slippery grass and mud on the side of a hill was a worry. I used the advice I'd been given and managed to make it down unscathed to the grass section.

Paused there for a while, took a couple of pics and watched what was going on up in the snow. Then continued down towards the bottom. Had almost made it when the front went into a rut, lost my balance and went for a little tumble down the hill side. Thankfully due to being exhausted I was relaxed and so picked myself up unscathed and went and lifted the bike for what seemed like the hundredth time.

At the bottom it was suggested I should head back to the Woolshed, have a rest, maybe a bit of a play by myself, etc. I took this as sound advice rather than a big fuck-off. To be honest if the suggestion hadn't been made I'd a probably just perservered until I physically couldn't anymore (not considering the fact that I'd still have to get out and home again too).

So I meandered my way back to the Woolshed, enjoying the scenary, trying different things in order to let the bike do the work rather than me. Only dropped the bike once, and that was just a silly error. Had to open a few gates on the way, and this one in particular I came to on a decent and had issues getting netural. Gentally rested the front wheel against the gate as I was releasing the clutch. Got in into netural, put the sidestand down. Hoped off and opened the gate and heard the now familiar thud behind me. Of course being on a decent when I opened the gate that the front wheel was resting against, gravity took over and the bike rolled forward, kicking the sidestand up.

A bit of riding with cows later I was back to the relative warmth and comfort of the Woolshed. Changed into my spare thermals and jeans, had a bit of food, took some pics and looked around. When everyone else returned it was decided most were going to do a third track.

I decided to head home, although I would have loved to continue, I decided to err on the side of caution given the eventful day it had been.

I really enjoyed the ride out, and was able to notice the scenery a bit more than the way in. With hindsight I made the right decision as my clutch hand went not long after I got onto the seal. Stopped with the Tourist at the inital meeting point and had a coffee, chatted about the day.

Got home, hosed the bike and myself before having a nice hot shower.

Conclusion: A great day, with more challenges than I could have imagined (both mental and physical). A huge thanks to PLUG for organising the ride and inviting me. Big thanks to all those who helped with tools, parts, know-how in getting me going, not to mention the hand-holding and tons of great advice I was given throughout the day. This is why I wanted to get into group rides, I look forward to the day when I'm one of the experienced ones able to help others out.

Biggest thanks to my Wife who worked hard getting time off so I could go out and play, and still let me go even though she was sick.

Big thanks to cooneyr whos offered to come out to the waimak for an afterwork ride and help me work on my onbike fitness, technique, etc.

Bring on the next one.

Final word - well done to anyone whos read through this whole post. :Punk:

SDU
14th December 2006, 13:08
Great write up guys. & Awesome pics & Movies. :rockon:
TA have you been getting bike cleaning lessons of FQ. :dodge:
Looks like you all had a awesome day, even if it was a bit bloody :cold:
Good on you GL for knowing when to call it quits, I know how hard it is to say no more, but it saves on a lot of bruising.
Hope to see more on the ride later.
Hey Plug thanks for taking the time to organise the ride even if we didn't make it.

Flyingpony
14th December 2006, 13:18
Sounds like you all had fun. Reminds me what I got up to as a young lad.

I trust your bikes all got washed clean for that river snot stuff between each river crossing. That fact is kind of putting me off from further out back adventures by bike or 4wd (excluding that fact that none of my rides are suitable/going for that terrain at the moment).

Paul in NZ
14th December 2006, 13:25
Awesome stuff guys...

Switch
14th December 2006, 13:29
Thats really cool, looks like great fun even if the weather isnt nice. I'ld love to try that sometime. :yes:

PLUG
14th December 2006, 16:40
Wicked work TA ... your best yet I think.

Transalper
14th December 2006, 18:30
I think he needed more dry stuff than that! Was bloody lucky the camera didn't get dunked so we still have the footage to prove the incident is real...
Yea, until that moment i was quite dry under my wet weather gear. Even my socks were ok until that swim.
As for the camera, well my tool kit was swimming in a puddle inside my backpack when i opened it to get the sparkplug socket out. The helmet camera is fully submersible to several meters and the camcorder that it plugs in to was enclosed in a plastic box and is water resistant enough for a quick dunking, so we were all good this time.
Have i thanked you for jumping in and stopping me and bike from being washed away? Well THANKS!! It's definitely good to have you around in the tricky spots. :yes:

... A lot of hardwork and a ton of support later I was up where you see in the photos. Bit of rest, piss and a smoke later. TA flew past on up further (you have some serious skills)....
Serious skills, well thanks... but... to give a little perspective here, one must think of the tyres we were running. Our bikes (CRM250 and CRF230) may be similar in size and weight but your tyres if memory serves are fairly well worn close pattern duel purpose knobs. Mine on the other hand are as new (had done only about 150km on them) dedicated open pattern dirt/mud tyres. Can't use my tyres on the sealed road, they'd be bald in 5 minutes if i haven't already lost it on the first bend anyway.
But that goes back to the old story of compromise in Adventure riding. How much Road vs Dirt vs Durability works for you.
Had i been on the DR250 with it's duel purpose tyres or even worse the Transalp with its extra weight and duel purpose tyres, i assure you i'd have be en sliding and dropping my bike all over the place too... on that fateful day.... the day that an Adventure ride crossed the threshold and turned Trail.:shit:

merv
14th December 2006, 19:27
Just beautiful guys - a winter ride in summer - I miss the snow of Canterbury.

TonyB
14th December 2006, 19:41
Bloody excellent stuff! Nice job on the vid too. That ford was nearly as deep as the one I took the FZR through....:shutup:

miSTa
14th December 2006, 21:38
Shit that looks good! :rockon:

Great photos and shit again T/A

paulj
15th December 2006, 19:16
Going up a slight gravel incline I heard that metal breaking sound no one likes to hear.

I was therefore quite releved when I was informed that I no longer had a chain. Stopped the bike and a huddle began to form, discussing options. PLUG the legend had a chain breaker, one of the other guys had some spare links. So I got to observe (and undo a few nuts) a true adventure roadside repair. I was initially going to turn tail and head home, but it was discussed some more and decided that it would be fine for me to continue.

Yeah - I read it all and lived the moments with you! - Keen to know what caused the chain break - any ideas or observations?

Ghost Lemur
16th December 2006, 17:48
Yeah - I read it all and lived the moments with you! - Keen to know what caused the chain break - any ideas or observations?

Not sure. One of the guys noticed that one of the links had an old break on one side. Chances are it was probably a stone that got flicked up and hit it.

Also here's a few of the pics I took.

Ghost Lemur
16th December 2006, 17:50
Couple more.

Transalper
12th August 2007, 03:50
Final cut 9 minute video of the rest of the trip that goes with the crf dunking...

2L5n5bq7D5s

windboy
12th August 2007, 08:33
excellent footage transalper, who was shooting it?

sounds like you were on the DR for this ride?

timg
12th August 2007, 08:42
Awesome vid TA :gob: A bit too 'adventurous' for my limited ability! :scooter:

young1
12th August 2007, 08:52
Great video clip, looks like a great place to ride although I think I would be there on my DR and not my KTM.

It always makes me laugh when I see people going through water and lifting their legs up, I was always told (and it is what I try to do - but I am no expert!!) to stand up which gets the centre of gravity down and also lets the bike move round when it hits the hidden rock that you hadn't noticed.

Transalper
12th August 2007, 09:48
Cheers, I was recording it with the helmet camera.
Was on the CRF230, had vaned it in to the end of the seal, the others all rode in from Christchurch and near by. The CRF was a greatly advantaged over the others especially as it was a lot slipperier than expected.
Standing on the pegs is definitely a good way to cross a ford, we are just a little lazy and in some cases the weight of the 650s and 750s seems easier to control while sitting (seems being the operative word there). Sometimes I just want to try not getting too wet so I pull my feet up and in toward the motor to try keep my feet dry instead. Depends whether it appears to be an easy ford or one I'm not so sure about. Have to laugh a bit at the guys who pull their feet up and out in to the splash zone.
Also general advice is to not hang ya foot out on the bends yet a lot of the guys here do it. I don't as I consider it to be more risky to your foot and knee than helpful if you do start to loose control.
We all have our bad habits and own way of doing things that will take a lot to break.

NordieBoy
12th August 2007, 12:26
Bit more mud involved than yesterdays trip :D

cooneyr
13th August 2007, 13:21
Final cut 9 minute video of the rest of the trip that goes with the crf dunking...

Nice one TA. Thats a good nice concise version of the day.

excellent footage transalper, who was shooting it?

sounds like you were on the DR for this ride?

Na the cheat didn't bring his big bike that day. Though he could scoot round us lot and capture the thrills and spills easier. Somebody needs to take a camera and get some incriminating evidence of him for once!!! (one day I'll sort out my vid cam for on the bike).

Cheers R

young1
13th August 2007, 13:40
We all have our bad habits and own way of doing things that will take a lot to break.

You want bad habits you want to see me, I used to tell my son to do as I told him and not as his Dad did!

warewolf
13th August 2007, 14:48
to stand up which gets the centre of gravity downAaaaarrggghh!!! I *hate* people saying this. It is very obviously false. Standing up - in other words raising your mass - has to raise your centre of gravity - at least in normal conditions on this planet.

Yes, standing up is a good thing. It gives you control of the bike. Part of the reason it does so is that it transfers contact pressure from your bum to your feet. You steer/balance with your feet and the bike can move independently from your arse, and vice-versa.

Lower your contact/control point with the bike - yes.
Lower your centre of gravity - absolutely not. :shutup:

warewolf
13th August 2007, 14:54
Somebody needs to take a camera and get some incriminating evidence of him for once!!!In fairness we've vicariously experienced many a fall by Carl, we just haven't seen the big picture.

young1
13th August 2007, 15:00
Aaaaarrggghh!!! I *hate* people saying this. It is very obviously false. Standing up - in other words raising your mass - has to raise your centre of gravity - at least in normal conditions on this planet.

Yes, standing up is a good thing. It gives you control of the bike. Part of the reason it does so is that it transfers contact pressure from your bum to your feet. You steer/balance with your feet and the bike can move independently from your arse, and vice-versa.

Lower your contact/control point with the bike - yes.
Lower your centre of gravity - absolutely not. :shutup:

Wow I knew I would get into trouble by mentioning that, well maybe I do deserve a good whipping...

By standing on the pegs isnt the centre of gravity of the bike lowered?

cooneyr
13th August 2007, 15:03
Wow I knew I would get into trouble by mentioning that, well maybe I do deserve a good whipping...

By standing on the pegs isnt the centre of gravity of the bike lowered?

Well not actually as the bikes COG never really changes height unless the suspension compresses abit. The overall bike rider COG defiantly gets higher.

Cheers R

young1
13th August 2007, 15:05
Hit me, hit me, call me names!!

Well not actually as the bikes COG never really changes height unless the suspension compresses abit. The overall bike rider COG defiantly gets higher.

Cheers R

PRYDEE
13th August 2007, 15:08
Awesome footage.Looks like a good ride.

cooneyr
13th August 2007, 15:08
Hit me, hit me, call me names!!

Nah - just lend me your 990 and I'll show you all about it. :innocent: :D

Cheers R

warewolf
13th August 2007, 16:52
well maybe I do deserve a good whipping...I'm sure there are establishments that cater to such desires... :gob:

By standing on the pegs isnt the centre of gravity of the bike lowered?Well not actually as the bikes COG never really changes height unless the suspension compresses abit. The overall bike rider COG defiantly gets higher.Wot he said, which was wot I said. :D

Hit me, hit me, call me names!!I'm sure there are establishments that cater to such desires... :gob:

Nah - just lend me your 990 and I'll show you all about it. :innocent: :DI'll help, must be some fords to cross, bring your spark-plug spanners. :innocent: :woohoo:

young1
13th August 2007, 16:59
[QUOTE=warewolf;116995:

I'll help, must be some fords to cross, bring your spark-plug spanners. :innocent: :woohoo:[/QUOTE]

I haven't even seen where the plugs are yet, only found the battery a couple of weeks ago. It would be UGLY to dry the KTM if I dropped it in deep water.

I think on my DR the tank has to come off to get to the plug.

cooneyr
13th August 2007, 17:07
I haven't even seen where the plugs are yet, only found the battery a couple of weeks ago. It would be UGLY to dry the KTM if I dropped it in deep water.

I think on my DR the tank has to come off to get to the plug.

From what I heard from those on the adv ride to the brass monkey you need to take more than the fuel tank off to get at the plugs and you must have a specialist plug spanner which they didnt. Luck there was lots of people to help!

Check out this post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1087377&postcount=110)for pics of the carnage.

Cheers
R

young1
13th August 2007, 18:07
From what I heard from those on the adv ride to the brass monkey you need to take more than the fuel tank off to get at the plugs and you must have a specialist plug spanner which they didnt. Luck there was lots of people to help!

Check out this post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1087377&postcount=110)for pics of the carnage.

Cheers
R

That does not look like fun, last bike I had to dry out was sons KX85, that was so easy! I am not a mechanic by any stretch!

NordieBoy
13th August 2007, 18:25
last bike I had to dry out was sons KX85, that was so easy!

Turn it upside down and shake it?

young1
13th August 2007, 21:16
Turn it upside down and shake it?

Yep after getting off my 400 it felt as light as a feather, you could kick the bike over by hand!