PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor keeps running....

degrom
14th December 2006, 17:10
Most bazaar thing is happening.

I switched of my bike in the car park and the starter motor kept running. It ran for about 50 seconds till the battery was flat...

Anyone know what this could be?

degrom
14th December 2006, 17:11
I switched of the engine cut switch and turned of the key. But it still kept going.... What the hell could this be?

twinkle
14th December 2006, 17:24
some wires touching because there is no insulation? could have melted, been worn away or wires squished together.

TLDV8
14th December 2006, 18:02
The contact in the starter solenoid has stuck.You might get away with giving the body a tap with something (screwdriver handle perhaps)

Easy to check.
With the battery disconnected and a multi meter on the Ohm setting there should be no reading from the earth and starter motor cable (which most likely will have both terminals on the starter relay/solenoid. (Depending on the layout)
A reading would indicate the contacts inside are in curcuit which should only happen when the starter button curcuit energises the relay (electro magnet) which in turn should pull the contact down to send power to the starter motor. If it does not retract the power which is coming directly from the battery will continue to crank the starter motor as described.

degrom
14th December 2006, 19:54
The contact in the starter solenoid has stuck.You might get away with giving the body a tap with something (screwdriver handle perhaps)

Easy to check.
With the battery disconnected and a multi meter on the Ohm setting there should be no reading from the earth and starter motor cable (which most likely will have both terminals on the starter relay/solenoid. (Depending on the layout)
A reading would indicate the contacts inside are in curcuit which should only happen when the starter button curcuit energises the relay (electro magnet) which in turn should pull the contact down to send power to the starter motor. If it does not retract the power which is coming directly from the battery will continue to crank the starter motor as described.

You are spot on... Thanks to NudeMetalZ and TWR for helping out. Nudes and Bridgy was so nice to come out and help me with the problem... I am really thankful for them.

The beast is roaring again!!! (Will pamper her with a new relay/solenoid)

T.W.R
14th December 2006, 20:51
You are spot on... Thanks to NudeMetalZ and TWR for helping out. Nudes and Bridgy was so nice to come out and help me with the problem... I am really thankful for them.

The beast is roaring again!!! (Will pamper her with a new relay/solenoid)

:shutup: Bit amusing being called on the cell for a problem with a bike hundreds of KMs away :shit: bloody lucky I heard the Ph ringing albeit on the 3rd call :o sorry Chris
C & B are good people so there wouldn't have been an issue helping out:rockon: