PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a screen makes

Hitcher
15th December 2006, 21:04
Today an aftermarket Givi screen I'd ordered for the FJR from the lads at TSS turned up.

After whipping off the standard Yamaha offering and bolting on the new one, of course I had to test ride it.

The Givi is about 15mm taller than standard, with a small lip at the top. The shape is also slightly different, being less tapered.

The standard screen at about 75% up and higher creates a backdraft that pushes one forward. It also produces an appreciable amount of helmet noise from about 60% up and higher, and, in some winds, can produce an annoying amount of helmet vibration at 100% up.

The Givi is very clean at 0%, in fact I think I'll be doing more riding with the screen right down, particularly over summer, "naked" style. Gone is any back-pressure, at any screen height; and gone too is helmet vibration in the "right-up" position.

Overall I am impressed. And at $150 it's a good investment in increased riding comfort.

Drum
15th December 2006, 21:14
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the % business? Is the screen adjustable in some way?

sAsLEX
16th December 2006, 09:23
They raise and lower electronically, just like a cage window........

bistard
16th December 2006, 09:29
Well done Hitcher,glad to hear you are shopping at TSS,not that other poxy shop!!
Yes for those of you not familiar with the FJR1300,it has all the bells & whistles,electric windscreen,factory panniers & If my memory serves me right Mr Hitchers has heated handgrips

Hitcher
17th December 2006, 14:12
Whoar. Heated hand grips...

Citroenjunkie
19th December 2006, 09:52
Could someone please let me know if there is a Givi dealer in Auckland who comes reccomended. Thanks:ride:

McJim
19th December 2006, 09:54
Could someone please let me know if there is a Givi dealer in Auckland who comes reccomended. Thanks:ride:

Motomail. College Hill Ponsnobby. Helpful People. Tell them you're from KB.

terbang
19th December 2006, 10:50
They do make a difference in many ways.
When In the UK I fitted my previous 1200 bandit with an aftermarket screen that was a little wider and taller and had a little 'kick' at the top of it to deflect airflow upwards. It was amazing how much more comfortable the bike became to ride and it was considerably quieter. Took the bike to Aussie and lived in the Northern Territory. Squirting off down the Stuart highway (no speed limit) saw me almost lose control at 210 KPH, a bloody horrendous wobble that eventually transmitted itself into a tank slapper. Had previously ridden that bike with the old screen on the german autobahn at off the clock speeds with no difficulty. After a bit of investigation I figured the trick was to keep the speed down and enjoy the comfort. I wasn't too worried and continued riding for another year or so until I shifted back to NZ. NZ has a lot more wind and it tends to eddy around our roads quite badly and the problem returned but this time at much lower speeds. The bikes stability was compromised in gusty conditions and I had some hairy moments. The issue was instantly fixed by re-fitting the factory screen.
Givi have a good name and I suspect their product is OK but, especially for those that enjoy a few extra kays every now and then, be careful and watch out for any changes in handling when you modify the aerodynamics of your bike.

ceebie13
20th December 2006, 11:08
Ive got a Givi A210 screen on the CB. It works well, but now I have had the seat modified and both Mrs ceebie (Bex) and I now sit higher on the bike. This has solved the pillion cramps problem but has raised me into the airstream a bit. Thinking I might have to investigate a bigger/taller screen now. More expense! Found this on the net...made by MRA in Germany but available from distributors in the UK. $NZ328.

EDIT! Just discovered that Desmodromics in Auckland do 'em too. $405