PDA

View Full Version : Fork seal replacement

rok-the-boat
16th December 2006, 16:27
I need to replace the fork seals on my off-road bike and can't get the nut at the bottom of the forks out - it just turns. Any ideas how to stop it turning so that I can undo the damned thing, like take the spring out and ram something down the inside? What do shops do? Do they have some kinda special tool?

Steam
16th December 2006, 16:30
What do shops do? Do they have some kinda special tool?

Yip, a special tool. Don't know what the tool looks like for a DR. Somebody here will be able to help.

MattRSK
16th December 2006, 16:31
A certain shop I used to go to will charge you $300 for this procedure. A further $300 two weeks later to repeat the procedure as they didn't do it properly in the first place.

rok-the-boat
16th December 2006, 16:46
Found another thread that recommended welding a nut on the end of a rod to put down the inside of the fork - if so, anyone know the size needed for a DR250?

Also, found this:http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=38472&highlight=Fork+seal

And this: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/replace_fork_seals/

nudemetalz
16th December 2006, 18:52
The best way I do, is use an air-powered rattle gun. The shock is generally enough to loosen the nut.

Kickaha
16th December 2006, 19:08
The special tool I use is a wooden broom handle trimmed to size and hammered into it

The Stranger
16th December 2006, 19:19
Not familiar with the forks in question, but a few things to try.
As has already ben said, a rattle gun usually will work.
On the Yamaha (YZF750) forks I did, you can fit a nut down over the damper shaft and get a long hollow extension from Mitre 10 to get a socket onto the nut. The hollow extensions are cheap as chips.
Or the way most manuals seem to recommend is to reassemble the caps and allow the spring pressure to provide resistance.

I have a rattle gun and a good selection of tools if you need a hand. Not really available until Tuesday now though.