PDA

View Full Version : Plurals, faux-Latin and other terribly important rubbish

jrandom
21st July 2004, 16:18
Since Posh Tourer managed to bag me on an incorrect Latin plural (-us to -ii) in a thread about #$&*s which SpankMe subsequently shut down like the filth it was and thereby prevented me from responding in context to, I thought I'd bring it up again like the pedantic nitpicker wot I am.

You see (and I knew this, no, really!) we were BOTH wrong. I was setting up a subtle double-edged joke by correcting Trashy with *another* incorrect spelling. Since the name of that particular #$&* manufacturer isn't Latin, but a made-up English proper noun by usage, the correct plural is Lexuses.

Not Lexi.

:bleh:

Phew. You know, I don't think I would have been able to get to sleep tonight without setting that straight.

Jackrat
21st July 2004, 16:51
Wonderfull I really needed to know that.
I still reckon the best way to make a standard @%# hot is to set the bugger on fire.
How long do ya' think this thread will last? :msn-wink:

duckman
21st July 2004, 16:57
On the Internet, is showing off your "intelligence" using a dead language and tricky linguistical techniques the equivalent of shiny spiny wheels on a toyota ?? :devil2:

jrandom
21st July 2004, 17:04
On the Internet, is showing off your "intelligence" using a dead language and tricky linguistical techniques the equivalent of shiny spiny wheels on a toyota ?? :devil2:

Nope.

It's the equivalent of purple neon lights under the floorpan.

Drunken Monkey
21st July 2004, 17:06
The confusion possibly arises from 'lex' being the Latin word for law, statute or covenant, agreement.

Lexis and Lexus, as far as I can tell, are not Latin words. Lexus does appear to be a girl's name also, ie the pRon star Lexus Locklear. Not that I know what pRon is, or have ever watched any...

So mister Random's logic appears sound.

Can I also be a pedant? Guilty as charged.

duckman
21st July 2004, 17:09
Nope.

It's the equivalent of purple neon lights under the floorpan.
Ahhhh - I was wondering .... :bleh:

jrandom
21st July 2004, 17:23
Lexis and Lexus, as far as I can tell, are not Latin words.

Indeed.

I think 'Lexus' comes from the same fertile Japanese imagination that thought that naming a vehicle model the 'Emina' was a good idea.

Drunken Monkey
21st July 2004, 17:29
General aimless statement intended to stir some responses:

(Kiwi Biker) Forums=> OFF TOPIC => Rave on:

Talk about any non-motorbike stuff here.

Can't we harp on about speed-cut defenders for cages, smoking pot, council 'erections', God, (caution: cheap shot >>>) how Duckman's bike isn't as cool as it's 4 cylinder, 750cc counter-part for which it is oft mistaken for, and other Off Topic or Non-Motorbike stuff?

Now I have to PM White Trash, which doesn't exactly add to my post-count...

jrandom
21st July 2004, 17:39
how Duckman's bike ... 4 cylinder, 750cc counter-part for which it is oft mistaken for

Not by me it isn't.

The TLR wins Blobbiest Plastic Bodywork By A Mile in my book. I can pick 'em blobbing their way down the road from a kilometer away.

As opposed to the clean, sharp lines of the GSXR750, which are identical to the clean, sharp lines of every other GSXR model. Good thing GSXRs are quite exclusive and pricey, or the discerning individuals who ride them might end up feeling a bit... common...

Jackrat
21st July 2004, 17:47
Indeed.

I think 'Lexus' comes from the same fertile Japanese imagination that thought that naming a vehicle model the 'Emina' was a good idea.

Talking about which,I saw a toyota that looked to be an off shoot of a corolla or some other gutless wonder on the motoway a few days back.
It was called a "Tercel"
Ok it was cool to call a strong bike a Hyabusa but a bloody toyota shit box a Tercel,,,, :no:

Look it up under "birds of prey"

Milky
21st July 2004, 17:47
...or the discerning individuals who ride them might end up feeling a bit... common...
A bit like fxr owners one could say :laugh:

Skyryder
21st July 2004, 18:21
Indeed.

The word Lexus is and acronym of Luxury export US. A luxury car developed for the US market. Just anothe piece of useless information..........that became useful.

Skyryder

merv
21st July 2004, 19:08
Since Posh Tourer managed to bag me on an incorrect Latin plural (-us to -ii) in a thread about #$&*s which SpankMe subsequently shut down like the filth.

So what happened to freedom of speech SpankMe?

riffer
21st July 2004, 20:11
Since the name of that particular #$&* manufacturer isn't Latin, but a made-up English proper noun by usage, the correct plural is Lexuses.

Not Lexi.
Which I guess is the same reason why we don't go see rugby in stadia, and spend time on internet forii.

MikeL
21st July 2004, 20:39
Which I guess is the same reason why we don't go see rugby in stadia, and spend time on internet forii.

or fora...

Just to show nobody has a monopoly on pedantry...

Mr Skid
21st July 2004, 20:57

..my favorite has always been the Toyota Camry 'Exciting Version'.. such a laughable notion..

Posh Tourer :P
21st July 2004, 22:01

Indeed. Fora. The plural of an -um is -a. The plural of an -us is -i.

I was fully aware (in my defence) that the correct plural of lexus is lexuses. Hence my qualifier "if you follow the same strange logic" (or somethign like that). He was pluralising, not only in the wrong language, but also wrongly in that wrong language!

LB
22nd July 2004, 06:12
Ok it was cool to call a strong bike a Hyabusa but a bloody toyota shit box a Tercel,,,, :no:

My understanding (though of course I may well be wrong :o ) is that a Hyabusa is a Japanese falcon that preys on smaller birds such as a Blackbird.

Lou Girardin
22nd July 2004, 07:06
The confusion possibly arises from 'lex' being the Latin word for law, statute or covenant, agreement.

Lexis and Lexus, as far as I can tell, are not Latin words. Lexus does appear to be a girl's name also, ie the pRon star Lexus Locklear. Not that I know what pRon is, or have ever watched any...

So mister Random's logic appears sound.

Can I also be a pedant? Guilty as charged.

I think rather than it being a girls name, it's a financial goal.

Drunken Monkey
22nd July 2004, 09:32
My understanding (though of course I may well be wrong :o ) is that a Hyabusa is a Japanese falcon that preys on smaller birds such as a Blackbird.

Yes, 'Hyabusa' is romanji (ie an English literation of a Japanese word). We also know it as the Peregrine Falcon. And yes, they do prey on Blackbirds (and other small birds).

vifferman
22nd July 2004, 09:49
Yes, 'Hyabusa' is romanji (ie an English literation of a Japanese word). ...and pronounced "Eye Abuser".:laugh:

(It's almost as ugly as a FahrtSturm, y'know.)
However, despite being rather ugly, the EyeAbuser is relatively aerodynamic (see http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0106_aero/) - in fact, it's ugly because it's aerodynamic, eschewing looks in favour of sleekness, unlike the Blackboid and ZX12R.

MikeL
22nd July 2004, 09:56
There must be obscure psychological/marketing reasons why some bikes are given names and others are just numbers. Cruisers mostly seem to have names but not many sports bikes do - the Hayabusa and Blackbird being notable exceptions. My previous bike was never known in this country by anything other than a model number (GSX1200) but in Europe as well as Japan was called Inazuma (which I think means something to do with storm, lightning or thunder - not sure which)

Darryboy
22nd July 2004, 10:15
Talking about which,I saw a toyota that looked to be an off shoot of a corolla or some other gutless wonder on the motoway a few days back.
It was called a "Tercel"

Just did
TIERCEL or TERCEL [TERE-sul]: The male of a hawk or falcon. The term is based on the Latin word for "third," and stems from the fact that male hawks and falcons are usually smaller than the female, often by roughly one-third.

Perhaps they're suggesting it is "insert hawk/falcon attribute that would sell a car here" yet small in size.

vifferman
22nd July 2004, 10:46
There must be obscure psychological/marketing reasons why some bikes are given names and others are just numbers. Cruisers mostly seem to have names but not many sports bikes do - the Hayabusa and Blackbird being notable exceptions. My previous bike was never known in this country by anything other than a model number (GSX1200) but in Europe as well as Japan was called Inazuma (which I think means something to do with storm, lightning or thunder - not sure which)Personally, I don't think bikes (and cars) need to have names (although I do like the tank graphics on my FahrtSturm). I think the Japanese like to throw names at them because they look cool to them, regardless of how they sound to us (witness the Nissan "Cedric" and the Toyota "Will", and the aforementioned Emina, or even the cars that don't seem to know what they are, such as the "Emina Estima Exceed"). I reckon they need more appropriate names, like "HeapOShite", and "CrapOnWheels", and "Snail".:)

Sometimes the names are important to the perceived buyers, like the Honda "Interceptor" name is quite important in the US, as is the Kawasaki "Ninja", even when it seems to be applied en masse to quite disparate models. The VTR1000 is called the SuperHawk in the US because it was a development of the NV650(?) Hawk v-twin, which was very popular there. Similarly, the "RC51" monicker was used there too for the SP1/SP2/SP3 due to its racing implications, even though it's not the official Honda designation. I suspect the reason most of the models we get here have names is due to model recognition/placement in the US and Japan.

Hitcher
22nd July 2004, 12:40
Lexis and Lexus, as far as I can tell, are not Latin words. Lexus does appear to be a girl's name also, ie the pRon star Lexus Locklear.
Lexus as a person's name is yet another in a long line of events where people have decided that a word already in existance was an appropriate handle for their child. "Tiffany" is another such example.

[Mounts yet another hobby horse] I think that the French have got it right by having an official register of children's given names from which parents can choose. This gets over egotistical parents embarrassing and condemning children to lives of ridicule by being called such things as: Moonbeam, Shania, Clamydia, Sierra Cosworth, Cheyenne or Lleyton; or by dreaming up unnecessarily complex spellings of common names that their offspring will have to endlessly explain to people for the rest of their days...

Hitcher
22nd July 2004, 12:44
Pig latin users what I work with use fora as a plural for forum, rather than forii (which I think relates to multiple spectacle wearers). People who do this should get their ba kicked...

Hitcher
22nd July 2004, 12:50
Personally, I don't think bikes (and cars) need to have names (although I do like the tank graphics on my FahrtSturm). I think the Japanese like to throw names at them because they look cool to them, regardless of how they sound to us (witness the Nissan "Cedric" and the Toyota "Will", and the aforementioned Emina, or even the cars that don't seem to know what they are, such as the "Emina Estima Exceed"). I reckon they need more appropriate names, like "HeapOShite", and "CrapOnWheels", and "Snail".:)
My theory is that Japanese car makers have a random word generator that they use to pick names for their vehicles. One day I expect to be stopped at the lights to discover the vehicle immediately in front is a Mazda Clitoris (often licked, never beaten) or a Nissan Vulva Pursuit...

jrandom
22nd July 2004, 13:09
This gets over egotistical parents embarrassing and condemning children to lives of ridicule by being called such things as: Moonbeam, Shania, Clamydia, Sierra Cosworth, Cheyenne or Lleyton; or by dreaming up unnecessarily complex spellings of common names that their offspring will have to endlessly explain to people for the rest of their days...

I hadn't heard about that French given-name register before. Good idea, but very... French.

I've always argued that there are psychological benefits to be gained from giving children easy-to-spell names that have been well-diluted from any inherent meaning by social popularity over the last several decades or centuries. Hence my kids are Claire and Jacob (which I hear is the current most-popular boy's name on birth registries in either the USA, or the Commonwealth, can't remember which). Claire will, of course, have to go through life saying "with an 'i' AND an 'e'..." but that's not too bad.

Both of them will still have to spell out their surname, though. The only Kiwis and Aussies I've ever met who can pronounce it without careful coaching are gun enthusiasts. (It's "Sauer".)

I cringed, you know, a few weeks back. That Police Ten-Seven program had a segment on armed robberies at the Barry's Pt Bar, up in Barry's Pt Rd. The manager chap who had been robbed at pistol point said that the weapon looked like a SIG "Sayer".

And then they did an "attacker had a pistol like this one" voice-over with a photograph of a fscking *Glock* on the screen.

vifferman
22nd July 2004, 13:10
Lexus as a person's name is yet another in a long line of events where people have decided that a word already in existance was an appropriate handle for their child. ... or by dreaming up unnecessarily complex spellings of common names that their offspring will have to endlessly explain to people for the rest of their days...Or make up an entirely new name (and hope it's not the same as some toilet cleaner somewhere).
Ah yes - the Middle-class Ridiculous Name Syndrome, the zenith of which seems to be the weird handles that African-American chilluns are encumbered with.
"Ah..what shall we name the sproglet, Drear?"
"Ah dunno - all the names seem so ORDINARY. We need somethin' riginal. And classy."
"How baht - Zebadecka Grot-Thwam Splatututu? Junior the Third, of course."

A good rule for naming kids (or pets) is to go to the back door, and bellow the intended monicker at the top of your lungs, and see how ridiculous it feels...

We decided on very normal, average old-fashioned names for our kids: Peter, David and Michael. Even then, the kids found it difficult to spell their middle names. Perhaps we could have managed without those...

Hitcher
22nd July 2004, 13:35
(It's "Sauer".)
So how do you pronounce it? Sower? Sayer? Sawa? Sow?

jrandom
22nd July 2004, 13:44
So how do you pronounce it? Sower? Sayer? Sawa? Sow?

Sower. Like 'sour' but with a more wubbleyewy sound in the middle if you're going to get pedantic about it.

Drunken Monkey
22nd July 2004, 14:28
as in Sauerkraut..., or Bauer.

Being of germanic (ie Swiss) in origin (SIG Arms AG, that is, not necessarily JRandom!)

Granted sometimes there are regional differences. I've heard Moet is actually pronounced 'mo-ette', not 'mo-ay' as it comes from the region near Switzerland (never been able to verify that one).

bungbung
22nd July 2004, 14:46
Or Subaru trying to educate the public's pronunciation to 'soobaroo' instead of 'sa baroo'

jrandom
22nd July 2004, 15:00
Being of germanic (ie Swiss) in origin (SIG Arms AG, that is, not necessarily JRandom!)

Me too. Paternal family is ex Frankfurt, although I was born in Auckland and have never bothered to get an EU passport. Not even sure if I still can.

MikeL
22nd July 2004, 15:08
Peter, David and Michael. Even then, the kids found it difficult to spell their middle names. Perhaps we could have managed without those...

And I thought my parents were the most unoriginal in the world:
4 boys: John, Michael, Peter, David.
And they didn't bother with middle names, either...

Drunken Monkey
22nd July 2004, 15:11
Or Subaru trying to educate the public's pronunciation to 'soobaroo' instead of 'sa baroo'

Because the word IS Soo-boo-roo, not Soo-baaa-roo (that's the sheep in the NZ'er talking, there...). This is the only country in the world you'll hear "Subaaaru".

And Madza is 'Mazuda', as the 'z' character is supposed to be pronounced 'zu' in Japanese.

Although in the end, is it really that wrong to anglicise a word or name?

Ghost Lemur
22nd July 2004, 15:16
My sons' are Danté and Sebastian. Original (or uncommon) but not difficult to spell. Best of both worlds I figured. I couldn't have named them bob, jack, etc.

They are my son's after all, so I think being teased about their names (which hasn't happened yet - aged 3 and 2) is the least of their worries.

MikeL
22nd July 2004, 15:16
And continuing the theme of Asian variations on the English language, it's fascinating to look at the English names some of my Chinese students give themselves. I think the most original i've come across is Squall. Others include Dawn (for a boy), Shiny, Flame, Milo, Imily ("That's Emily, right?" "No, Imily...")

vifferman
22nd July 2004, 15:18
Because the word IS Soo-boo-roo, not Soo-baaa-roo (that's the sheep in the NZ'er talking, there...). This is the only country in the world you'll hear "Subaaaru".OK, time to put on my pedantrist's hat. Or put on my pedantist's hat.
It's spelled "Subaru", pronounced "Soo-ba-roo", and is the Japanese name for the Pleiades constellation, and is made by Fuji Heavy Industries (the car that is, not the star constellation..)

And Madza is 'Mazuda', as the 'z' character is supposed to be pronounced 'zu' in Japanese.Mazda's not a Japanese word, but Greek (IIRC) and means summat like "peak" (as of a mountain). Or summit. Or summat. Or not.
But the Jap's can pronouncicate it however the phark they like.

Although in the end, is it really that wrong to anglicise a word or name?Nup. Pedantrists may disagree...

riffer
22nd July 2004, 15:20
Because the word IS Soo-boo-roo, not Soo-baaa-roo (that's the sheep in the NZ'er talking, there...). This is the only country in the world you'll hear "Subaaaru".
Actually I heard once that it was the Australians that started Subaaaru.

Subaru's were originally brought in to Aussie first, then onsold here.

The Australians thought Subaru sounded too much like Kangaroo, and deliberately changed the sound in case it stopped people buying the cars.

Could be urban legend, who knows?

Cool cars though. I loved my GT-B.

vifferman
22nd July 2004, 15:22
And continuing the theme of Asian variations on the English language, it's fascinating to look at the English names some of my Chinese students give themselves. From the "Book of Olde English Names From Several Hundred Years Ago, That Sound Kewl to Our Ears, But Weird to English-Type Peoples"?
Like Mildred, Edwin, Cedric, Gertrude....

Drunken Monkey
22nd July 2004, 15:24
(ouch, 4 posts in as many seconds...THIS goes on from MikeL's post: -)

It used to follow some basic rules around the old forms of common English names, ie the Chinese symbols which make the name pronounced 'Yue Han', is the common name John (from Johan) - which also happens to be the most common Chinese name, ie Yue Han Li (or is that Li Yue Han?), or 'John Lee'.
I think Chinese kids these days just make them up...

Drunken Monkey
22nd July 2004, 15:33
It's spelled "Subaru", pronounced "Soo-ba-roo", and is the Japanese name for the Pleiades constellation, and is made by Fuji Heavy Industries (the car that is, not the star constellation..)

Uh, yeah. The extra oo's were just for emphasis...

'...it's more guttural than that...Aaaarrrggghhh'

'No, "ooo" as in surprise or alarm'

'Look! It's the great black beast of...aaarrrrggghhh!!!!'

'rrroooaaaaarrrr!!!!!'

Mazda's not a Japanese word, but Greek (IIRC) and means summat like "peak" (as of a mountain). Or summit. Or summat. Or not.
But the Jap's can pronouncicate it however the phark they like.

Oh, well in the context of a Japanese car manufacturer, it's as good as Japanese - as per your last comment.

Nup. Pedantrists may disagree...

Golly. What does one say to that? :)

vifferman
22nd July 2004, 15:38
Uh, yeah. The extra oo's were just for emphasis...

'...it's more guttural than that...Aaaarrrggghhh'

'No, "ooo" as in surprise or alarm'

'Look! It's the great black beast of...aaarrrrggghhh!!!!'

'rrroooaaaaarrrr!!!!!':killingme
Very good, Mr Monkey.

DEATH_INC.
22nd July 2004, 15:45
I don't think any would argue with Nissans naming of the mighty 'Escargo'.....

Hitcher
22nd July 2004, 15:45
Actually I heard once that it was the Australians that started Subaaaru.

Subaru's were originally brought in to Aussie first, then onsold here.

The Australians thought Subaru sounded too much like Kangaroo, and deliberately changed the sound in case it stopped people buying the cars.
Another Aussie Subaru story relates to the Legacy, which is renamed the Liberty for that market because the Aussie RSL complained. Go figure.

I love my Impreza, BTW.

vifferman
22nd July 2004, 15:47
I don't think any would argue with Nissans naming of the mighty 'Escargo'.....Now THAT was very clever.

Another Aussie Subaru story relates to the Legacy, which is renamed the Liberty for that market because the Aussie RSL complained. Go figure.Yeah, that was summat to do with some RSL trust or summat that was named Legacy.
Or summat.
(Vagueness due to branedrain...)

Skyryder
22nd July 2004, 20:01
A rose by any other name is still a rose. Will S. Not much else to say on this

Skyryder

Jackrat
22nd July 2004, 23:02
Anybody here named after their parents??
I am and I think it's like calling your dog "Dog"
Even my grand father had the same name.
If I'd had a son I sure as hell wouldn't have done that to him. :crazy:

jrandom
23rd July 2004, 06:34
And continuing the theme of Asian variations on the English language, it's fascinating to look at the English names some of my Chinese students give themselves. I think the most original i've come across is Squall. Others include Dawn (for a boy), Shiny, Flame, Milo, Imily ("That's Emily, right?" "No, Imily...")

It's a bit like that, isn't it. I was on a project a few months back where I had to deal with a contract electronics manufacturer in Taiwan. Their project managers were named Autumn and Summer. Male, of course. Took me a while to get used to.

jrandom
23rd July 2004, 06:39

Well, I gave Jacob my name as a middle name, but I don't think I'd ever give a kid the actual *same* name as me. That's just annoying. You end up with a name like Aaron P. Finkelstein Jr. III that looks like it should belong to an New York attorney.

On that note, does anybody else remember the 'business card envy' scene in American Psycho (the movie)? Loved it.

toads
23rd July 2004, 09:01
It was called a "Tercel"

Hello Jackrat, I have a toyota corolla it's a ceres and has a 1600cc motor, 20 valves and considering it's cc rating is anything but gutless, if you compare cars of similar cc ratings you will have to admit your opinion is unfair in this matter, as for reliabilty, and good value, you really can't go past a toyota, we have also had hiace vans for the past 10 years and they really can't be beaten for reliability and comfort. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, mine happens to be based on experience, my husband is an a grade mechanic and does not like to have to work on his own vehicles, having toyotas means he rarely has to, they just don't have design flaws. Or 'issues' :ar15:

toads
23rd July 2004, 09:04
as for the naming of japanese vehicles, well, some of them really take the biscuit, I saw a 'legnum', which just has to be the love child of the magnum and the legacy, ewwwww, conjures up all sorts of unpleasant images, the only thing I can think of is they just plain ran out of ideas for that one.

Hitcher
23rd July 2004, 09:05
Well, I gave Jacob my name as a middle name, but I don't think I'd ever give a kid the actual *same* name as me. That's just annoying. You end up with a name like Aaron P. Finkelstein Jr. III that looks like it should belong to an New York attorney.

On that note, does anybody else remember the 'business card envy' scene in American Psycho (the movie)? Loved it.
I have the same first given name as my grandfather and father -- Robert (and the same surname, surprisingly). There is no confusion with either of them because my grandfather was known by his second given name, as am I, and Dad is known as Bob. However, issuers of certificates and database mailing companies are incapable of acknowledging that people could possibly be known by their second name, and I have a multitude of certificates and official documents that refer to me as Robert B. So latterly I have taken to discarding the Robert bit entirely when filling out forms and the like. The confusion is exacerbated by having a famous (now dead) racehorse magnate with the same name, and having people always ask "Are you the real...", to which the answer is "Yes, of course!"

Also, the American Pyscho business card envy scene is a personal favourite. I have never been able to listen to Huey Lewis and The News in quite the same light after this movie...

pete376403
23rd July 2004, 09:07
Mazda Proceed Marvie is another goodie.

pete376403
23rd July 2004, 09:09
may be bad form to respond t your own post but that one was my "mark of the beast" post ('x29A')

toads
23rd July 2004, 09:10

We have got some family names which have been passed from generation to generation, I just couldn't do it, I gave my boys theirs as middle names, by the way what's wrong with calling a dog dog??? LOL.

greenhorn
23rd July 2004, 17:09
A rose by any other name is still a rose. Will S. Not much else to say on this

Skyryder
Did Will Smith really say that? Hes not as thick as i thought he was..

Stinkwheeler
23rd July 2004, 17:16
Cor, I thought I had pedantic spelling.

Milky
24th July 2004, 17:48
I think I am named after a distant great, great etc etc grandfather or uncle or summat... I dont see anything wrong with that, but do when it is after a father or grandfather... It is a bit of a pain having to spell your name all the time, but at least mine isnt a weird variation on a standard name, so people ask rather than get it wrong first...

24th July 2004, 19:15
Hey...... :mad:
1) named after grandfather - not that parents had any choice, he named me himself
2)weird variation on a standard name
3)have to spell it all the time

:angry2:

MikeL
24th July 2004, 19:34
[QUOTE=Posh Tourer :P]weird variation on a standard name
QUOTE]

It's not weird, it's Dutch. Great people, the Dutch. Good linguists (they all speak English, French and German...), hard workers, solid middle-class values..
And they invented... er, um... they invented... um...
Let me get back to you on that one.
Oh, yes, the compact cassette.
Philips make great electronic products. Even if they are manufactured in China now...

pete376403
24th July 2004, 20:39
Philips had a helluva lot to do with the invention and development of the compact disc, to, did they not? I'm sure that cancels out any involvement they may have had with the cassette.

BTW, do you recall the double sided video cassette Philips tried - video 2000 IIRC. Nearly bought one of their machines, then at the last minute was seduced by a Sharp VHS. It had front loading (gasp) when everything else was top loading

jrandom
24th July 2004, 20:54

Economics, or the practice thereof at least. If you take the content of Neal Stephenson's most recent historical novels as gospel, anyway, with Amsterdam being the first real Western European center of trade and 'finance' in the modern sense.

He *does* have a good reputation for research, so I suspect he got the broad strokes right in the Baroque Cycle.

Anyone with more seventeenth-century European history between their ears than I would be welcome to comment...

Jackrat
25th July 2004, 00:16
Hello Jackrat, I have a toyota corolla it's a ceres and has a 1600cc motor, 20 valves and considering it's cc rating is anything but gutless, if you compare cars of similar cc ratings you will have to admit your opinion is unfair in this matter, as for reliabilty, and good value, you really can't go past a toyota, we have also had hiace vans for the past 10 years and they really can't be beaten for reliability and comfort. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, mine happens to be based on experience, my husband is an a grade mechanic and does not like to have to work on his own vehicles, having toyotas means he rarely has to, they just don't have design flaws. Or 'issues' :ar15:

Well yeah I've owned a number of Toyotas,they've been exellent cars,They also have as much soul as a bean can.The Tercel being the male of the most powerfull bird of prey on the planet is just not a suitable name for any car let alone a small middle of the road four.The Perigrine Falcon is no toyota of the bird world.
Sorry but no car deseves a name like that,it's a very sick joke :no:

Holy Roller
25th July 2004, 09:20

My middle name was my dad's but when mum remarried and our stepfather adopted us it was changed along with my surname just when I was starting highschool :bye:

25th July 2004, 11:05
It's not weird, it's Dutch. Great people, the Dutch. Good linguists (they all speak English, French and German...), hard workers, solid middle-class values..

Clogs? :lol:

Ghost Lemur
25th July 2004, 11:35
Clogs? :lol:

Or frugility(sp?)(?).

My gf's father is dutch, and pasonifies(sp?) tight-fistedness. :killingme

No telephone, walks in the snow barefoot. Looks like a wildman even though he's a scientist. The guy even took down my licence plate when I went to pick up the gf from his place... Wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't already been dating for almost a year. LOL

Very strange people.

*To all now highly offended Dutch members: My tongue is firmly embedded in my cheek.*

Milky
25th July 2004, 12:09
I am still offended... no matter where your tongue was placed. But then i can take some sort of pleasure from the fact that i am not, nor ever will be, british :msn-wink:

25th July 2004, 12:53
Or frugility(sp?)(?).

Frugality.

and pasonifies(sp?) Looks like a wildman even though he's a scientist.

Personifies.

All scientists look like wildmen. It was probably more that than the dutchness

Very strange people.
*To all now highly offended Dutch members: My tongue is firmly embedded in my cheek.*[/QUOTE]

Must be an interesting phenomenon. Have you tried to pull it out or will it need surgery? :P

25th July 2004, 12:59
Ever read 1066 and all that? Remember that the dutch admiral von Trompet blew his trompet all the way up some river that was supposed to be highly guarded by the most excellent british navy?

If you havent read the book, I definitely recommend it. "1066 and all that" Cant remember the author, perhaps milky can look it up

Hitcher
25th July 2004, 17:16
Austin Powers' dad said it all about the Dutch!

MikeL
25th July 2004, 19:15
If you havent read the book, I definitely recommend it. "1066 and all that" Cant remember the author, perhaps milky can look it up

Must be out of print by now, surely.
Read it at school, thought it hilarious.
I wonder whether it has stood the test of time...

Lou Girardin
26th July 2004, 07:07
The Dutch were the Masters of sea trade, that's why no-one wanted to seriously annoy them. The French and Spanish were mainly interested in looting their colonies.
The Poms were keen on looting the French and Spanish merchantmen.
It's the food chain all over again.