PDA

View Full Version : Another old fart

sporty03
21st July 2004, 16:49
Yeah Hi,

Just joined in so hopefully I do it right. :msn-wink:
Finally got a HD (1200 sports) after years of wondering. It isn't the fastest, or the best handling machine I've ever been on, :whocares: but it's fun.
There is something about the look and the sound of it all that suits an almost 50 fella. :niceone:
Got my kids into dirt bikes before they were of licence age so they could develop skills and reflexes that will be required if they venture onto the road. Got myself a DR 350 to keep up with them, almost.
Grew up building a B31 and a T6 so that is probably where I grew to love big old slow revers.
Anyway, love to read about what others are up to so will hopefully get more involved with the forum.
Anybody know where I can get a custom fuel tank made in NZ? I want something around 20 lt.
Regards :done:

duckman
21st July 2004, 17:03
Welcome Sporty, We disperately need more Harley riders on this site to balance the arguments.
Be prepared to take some flak and make sure you give it back in spades!!

:apint:

Motu
21st July 2004, 17:23
It isn't the fastest, or the best handling machine I've ever been on, :whocares: but it's fun.
Regards :done:

Welcome - some people completely miss the point eh? I grew up with B31s in my blood,I just loved those old things.What started out as a plunger B31 ended up as a 54 Goldflash with M20 motor,just a gradual developement of one bike,a part at a time.

jrandom
21st July 2004, 17:24
Two, as I have pointed out before on this forum, is the Right and Proper number of cylinders for a motorcycle engine.

So, sporty03, you could, by a stretch of an overly-enthusiastic and moderately drunk imagination, be said to be on the right path.

Welcome to the site...

White trash
21st July 2004, 17:26
Welcome Sporty03! We may know some of the same people.

Keep at it with the H-D. Best godamn motorcycle ever built :2thumbsup

jrandom
21st July 2004, 17:38
Keep at it with the H-D. Best godamn motorcycle ever built

Worst goddamn troll ever posted. :kick:

sporty03
21st July 2004, 17:57
Hey all,
Thanks for the welcome.
I guess Harleys are still 'of the old school'. Now I have one the fun really begins. High flow cleaner and bigger jet, 2 into 1 pipes and a bigger custom paint tank. Most of this can be done at home, with a little help from ones friends. Something that seems to be missing with some of the newer high tech crotch rockets. But then, each to their own eh? :rockon:

jrandom
21st July 2004, 18:02
with a little help from ones friends.

:whistle: Doooooo you neeeeeed anyboooody... :whistle:

sporty03
21st July 2004, 19:17
Hey Motu,

A plunger B31 was my first bike. Swapped a surfboard and $25 for it. Found the local bikers to be a nicer bunch than the local seaweeds. Came home in boxes of bits and I had to push the frame. Local guy in Tauranga, Deans cycles was a mine of information and help. One of the sons, Robbie, scambled (pre moto x) a B32. Went well too. Got 2nd in the open hill climb 1970 on a 43 MAC Vello. Real hard case bunch of guys. Robbie now runs Deans cycles Suzuki in Tauranga.
Sold the B31 and got a 61 Thunderbird. Total rebuild, new manifold and twin carbs later, hehe, king of the road man. Life in the simple times.
Cop-ya

riffer
21st July 2004, 20:05
Aargh.

Jesus, what is it with these bloody B31's? :not:

It's bad enough I have to listen to my father go on about his old beeza, now I have to get it here....

Sod it, I'm having another scotch.

Nah seriously, welcome aboard sporty.

Hope you enjoy the ride!

Firefight
21st July 2004, 20:07
Hey Sporty, welcome mate, hope you enjoy the site.

F/F :2thumbsup

LB
22nd July 2004, 05:47
Welcome to the site Sporty03. All bikes are good bikes, though I definitely agree with jrandom re the two cylinder thing!!

Hope it ain't too cold for you down there at the moment - it's bloody freezing here!

I know Robbie (and his brother Peter) from the old days - they used to work on my Norton many years ago. Robbie raced up till a year or so ago. He had a couple of pretty bad accidents, one at Wanganui and one at Taupo. His son was killed in that tragic railway line accident in London - James was a top kid, a real good road racer and a really nice young man.

What's the story with Uptown and McIver and Veitch? I understand the Suzuki dealership's been moved from Uptown to M&V? What franchises has Jules got left? BMW only?

Motu
22nd July 2004, 10:01
Aargh.

Jesus, what is it with these bloody B31's? :not:

They were just magic,that's all.The B31 & B33 were 350 & 500 cast iron workhorses,but their B32 & B34 cousins were all alloy glamerous superstars.Like Triumph twins there was interchangability of parts - I had a couple of sets of Goldstar cams,pistons,we used to grind out the ports to fit bigger carbs,exhausts were changed to suit different cams,pistons and use (scrambles or road race) there were parts lying around in old racers sheds I used to pick up and put on my bikes - I had a room in my house full of BSA single parts,at least a dozen motors.In the 70s while others were buying and riding new bikes I was finding out what chopping 2in off an exhaust would do,finding a carb in a box,fitting it,no...let's see how this one goes then.I enjoyed getting that involved in my bike.

I remember seeing my B31 for the first time - I was 16 and in John Hemplemans workshop,just an out building behind his Onehunga shop,getting the mechanic to pull the flywheel off my Bantam motor,there was this old bike in there and I asked what it was...'that's a B31,do you want to hear it run?' sure! oh,what a thrill that was,the sounds and smells - turn the gas on and tickle to carb till gas splashed out,pull in the clutch and stroke the kickstater through to clear the plates,whir,clack,clack,clack...set the choke to 3/4,set the advance lever to half retrard,turn the motor over to compression,pull in the valve lifter and take the piston over and down,open the throttle 1/8 and then a huge lunge on the kickstart....you could hear the chains,bearings and gears take the strain as this lump of a motor turned over....poof,pop!! a flame and a puff of smoke out the carb,reset some levers,try again and after a few attempts he got it running,adusting those mysterious levers to smooth it out.Oh,what a noise,I was in total awe and knew I just had to have it so I could master the complicated staring proceedure and set this wonderful machine in motion.It took me a long time and a lot of pushing around the neighbourhood till I could master starting a big British single - but in the end I could start my high comp Goldy cammed single with just my hand,when most people couldn't even kick it over.

The poor neglected offspring of the B series were the M20 and M21 500 and 600cc sidevalves,to be able to run one of these was the highlight of my BSA years.

vifferman
22nd July 2004, 10:09
Two, as I have pointed out before on this forum, is the Right and Proper number of cylinders for a motorcycle engine.So, Random - when are you purchasing another cylinder, seeing as you're deficient in that regard?

Oh yeah - and welcome, Sporty03!

Mongoose
22nd July 2004, 10:09
:spudwave: Welcome Sporty, just what we need, another good southern man, may our numbers build :sunny:
Hope you are good at receiving and sending out wind-ups, if not dont worry as there is plenty of practice to be had on here :whistle:

jrandom
22nd July 2004, 10:24
So, Random - when are you purchasing another cylinder, seeing as you're deficient in that regard?

I may not ride a Proper Motorcycle, but that doesn't necessarily imply that my purchasing decisions will be motivated by Piston Envy.

vifferman
22nd July 2004, 10:33
I may not ride a Proper Motorcycle, but that doesn't necessarily imply that my purchasing decisions will be motivated by Piston Envy.Just buy another 150, or even just a spare piston for it.:headbang:

jrandom
22nd July 2004, 10:46
Just buy another 150, or even just a spare piston for it.:headbang:

"Is that a spare piston in your pocket, or...?"

Ms Piggy
22nd July 2004, 11:44
Welcome! Nice to see more mainlanders :yes: Welcome & have fun - lotsa good biker types here.

White trash
22nd July 2004, 12:34
What franchises has Jules got left? BMW only?

Kawasaki as well.

Cajun
22nd July 2004, 12:52
Hey Motu,

A plunger B31 was my first bike. Swapped a surfboard and $25 for it. Found the local bikers to be a nicer bunch than the local seaweeds. Came home in boxes of bits and I had to push the frame. Local guy in Tauranga, Deans cycles was a mine of information and help. One of the sons, Robbie, scambled (pre moto x) a B32. Went well too. Got 2nd in the open hill climb 1970 on a 43 MAC Vello. Real hard case bunch of guys. Robbie now runs Deans cycles Suzuki in Tauranga.
Sold the B31 and got a 61 Thunderbird. Total rebuild, new manifold and twin carbs later, hehe, king of the road man. Life in the simple times.
Cop-ya Hey sporty you might know my father in law - Ian 'Mac' Mcdonald he use to hang out with robbie when the were younger, he was in to bikes, use to be of a hoon?? he in his 50's now. He is also the president of local uylsses club.

Mongoose
22nd July 2004, 12:59
Kawasaki as well.

Jules has nothing now (well, maybe not nothing but is out of the business), he has sold the business and the franchises had ait of a swop around as well.

Mongoose
22nd July 2004, 13:01
Hey sporty you might know my father in law - Ian 'Mac' Mcdonald he use to hang out with robbie when the were younger, he was in to bikes, use to be of a hoon?? he in his 50's now.

Not related to Mark, aka Nigel are ya Cajun?

Paul in NZ
22nd July 2004, 13:03
They were just magic,that's all.The B31 & B33 were 350 & 500 cast iron workhorses,but their B32 & B34 cousins were all alloy glamerous superstars.Like Triumph twins there was interchangability of parts - I had a couple of sets of Goldstar cams,pistons,we used to grind out the ports to fit bigger carbs,exhausts were changed to suit different cams,pistons and use (scrambles or road race) there were parts lying around in old racers sheds I used to pick up and put on my bikes - I had a room in my house full of BSA single parts,at least a dozen motors.In the 70s while others were buying and riding new bikes I was finding out what chopping 2in off an exhaust would do,finding a carb in a box,fitting it,no...let's see how this one goes then.I enjoyed getting that involved in my bike.

We did much the same..

Now... Where are my rose tinted specs.. Ah, here we are... :apint:

Although we all had twins, one of the guys had a B31 that was the test bed for all development ideas. It grew to a full 500cc, had mad cams, huge carbs, pipes of all sorts and we had more fun than you could shake a stick at.

Later we had a Hagon framed grass tracker running a short stroke cast iron BSA engine on dope. Man that thing hauled ass....

Later still, my flat mate had a bog stock swing arm B31 that was the bike you rode when your triumph or norton let you down. 73mph flat out regardless of load. It was a bloody good bike, much better than the AJS/Matchless single I started out with (apart from that poxy seal on the pushrod tower)

I'd own another one in a flash (little BSA joke)

Paul N

Cajun
22nd July 2004, 13:04
Not related to Mark, aka Nigel are ya Cajun?
mark? nigel??

i'm an orcland born

Hitcher
22nd July 2004, 13:05
Sporty -- Welcome to our gargre!

All cruiser riders are welcome -- Mrs H is of that church.

Never mind that two-cylinder bikes are only two cylinders better than a pushbike...

Mongoose
22nd July 2004, 13:10
mark? nigel??

i'm an orcland born

Ah, just his Daddy has that name, Ian McD

Paul in NZ
22nd July 2004, 13:15

We did much the same..

Now... Where are my rose tinted specs.. Ah, here we are... :apint:

Although we all had twins, one of the guys had a B31 that was the test bed for all development ideas. It grew to a full 500cc, had mad cams, huge carbs, pipes of all sorts and we had more fun than you could shake a stick at.

Later we had a Hagon framed grass tracker running a short stroke cast iron BSA engine on dope. Man that thing hauled ass....

Later still, my flat mate had a bog stock swing arm B31 that was the bike you rode when your triumph or norton let you down. 73mph flat out regardless of load. It was a bloody good bike, much better than the AJS/Matchless single I started out with (apart from that poxy seal on the pushrod tower)

Paul N

Cajun
22nd July 2004, 13:17
Ah, just his Daddy has that name, Ian McD
Nope my father in law only had two daughters i married one dc:<

he is a motortrimmer and his father owned business before that

Mongoose
22nd July 2004, 13:21
Nope my father in law only had two daughters i married one dc:<

he is a motortrimmer and his father owned business before that

Tis OK, my mistook, i was at the wrong end of the country :Oops:

Cajun
22nd July 2004, 13:24
damn southen folk always getting lost dc:<

Mongoose
22nd July 2004, 13:39
damn southen folk always getting lost dc:<

:blah: Not ALWAYS :moon:

Cajun
22nd July 2004, 13:45
hahhaah mongoose

Motoracer
22nd July 2004, 14:38
Welcome to the Site!

Shit I am slow. I somehow missed this thread before too...

Cajun
22nd July 2004, 14:43
slack bugger MR

Zed
22nd July 2004, 14:56
Yeah Hi,

Just joined in so hopefully I do it right. :msn-wink: ...
Hi sporty03, if you think that introducing yourself as an old fart will earn you some sort of respect...then you've got mine! :)

Welcome to KB.

Zed

sporty03
22nd July 2004, 18:37
Lynda,
Thanks for the suport. Jules has been bought out by Davidson Honda in Alexandra. The U.T. boys now have a different boss, different coloured overalls and some different machines to work on. They all seem happy enough.
I first ran into the Deans when Dixie ran his shop out of his garage in front of the house in Devonport Rd. A guy Bruce Cross had the BSA before me. It was orange in those days. I changed all that. By the time I had the Triumph, Deans were in Cameron Road but still pre big shop days. They were a terrific bunch. Always ready to help and advise. Must of tossed away 1000's of billable hours but, well, they helped a lot of young guys get up and about. Something of the old Kiwi spirit I guess. It was a real shame about about Robbie's son. My sister sent me the paper clipping.
Anyway, thanks again and keep the shiny side up.
Graham

sporty03
22nd July 2004, 18:49
Hey sporty you might know my father in law - Ian 'Mac' Mcdonald he use to hang out with robbie when the were younger, he was in to bikes, use to be of a hoon?? he in his 50's now. He is also the president of local uylsses club.

:apint: Can't recall a Mac. There was a Dave Gray on a Triumph Trophy and Tracey Mitchel springs to mind. Also a real nice and easy quiet guy that rode a Norton 600 SS. Think he was the brother of the guy that started the marijuana party. We are talking early 70's here. Like I said,....Old Fart. Oi Oi. :rockon:

sporty03
22nd July 2004, 19:09

Paul N

:laugh: Yeah really. My one was bog standard apart from being 60 thou oversize. As Motu said, all the advancing and retarding and trying to get it right. I would have given anything to stop that bleeding plain taper on the ignition timing from slipping. :argh: My favourite trick was to roar downtown on a Friday night, whip it back to full retard and snap the thottle shut. Blue flames around the leg from the carb and yellow ones out the back and oh man what a bang she made. Nasty little shit wasn't I? :whistle:
I usually ended up with the job of fixing the 'other bikes'. Seems building a machine from old DB cartons full of bits gives one a bit of an insight. One guy had a Red Arrow that went pretty well but there was a 500 single Matchy that made us all jealous.
Keep rolling.

LB
23rd July 2004, 05:58

Paul N

I got it!!!!

sporty03 - interesting that Davidsons have bought Uptown. I spent a couple of hours there (at Davidsons in Alex) last October while they fitted a tyre to my bike (the wonderful coarse chip you have down there grips like you-know-what to a hairy blanket, but eats the rubber). Talked for quite a while with the owner - he seems a really nice guy.

pete376403
23rd July 2004, 09:15
:laugh: Yeah really. My one was bog standard apart from being 60 thou oversize. As Motu said, all the advancing and retarding and trying to get it right. I would have given anything to stop that bleeding plain taper on the ignition timing from slipping. :argh:

My speedway bikes had magneto drive gear (jawa) or sprocket (jap) on a plain taper. My fix for the slipping problem was to lap the gear to the taper with fine valve grinding paste. Never had a problem after that. The early Jawa six spring clutch was on a taper also, I have seen a few of these take off down the track after the slipped off the shaft. I lapped the clutch hub to the shaft same as the mag gear and that fixed that.

scumdog
28th July 2004, 09:06
Hey all,
Thanks for the welcome.
I guess Harleys are still 'of the old school'. Now I have one the fun really begins. High flow cleaner and bigger jet, 2 into 1 pipes and a bigger custom paint tank. Most of this can be done at home, with a little help from ones friends. Something that seems to be missing with some of the newer high tech crotch rockets. But then, each to their own eh? :rockon:

Hey sporty03, just come across your thread, good to see you enjoy the Sporty, there are faster/nimbler rides out there but as you said the Sporty is fun, and as I said before, I would only end up in trouble on a gruntier machine.

My 'S' came from Hamilton area (I think) and then one South Island owner who fitted bigger mufflers, Screaming Eagle carb/air-filter kit.
Why do you want a bigger tank? is it for looks or to increace the riding range?
- my old Sporty only held $9 from empty, maximum distance I ever went on a tankful was 125km!! :shit:, new Sporty is heaps better, holds about $13 or so. What colour is yours and do you go to rallies (my next one will be M.A.T.E.S. at Waikaia. :wavey:

scumdog
28th July 2004, 09:16
Worst goddamn troll ever posted. :kick:

troll? TROLL?, he is serious man, like would WT ever troll? :sneaky2:

magnum
1st August 2004, 11:03
hello and welcome :eek:

sporty03
1st August 2004, 17:41
Hey Scumdog, :apint:
Yeah the bigger tank is for more range. Riding up to Cromwell or where ever, one has to keep an eye on the odometer and where the next pit stop is. The 2003 only holds 12 litres and goes about 240km, if you dare. The guy that sold it to me now has a 2004 custom with a 17 litre tank. Asked the guy in Southern about that and he reckons it's a totally different mount and I couldn't do it. Shame. I've emailed all over the place including US but haven't had much joy. Need an old coach builder or something to make me one. The ones that can be bought around the place, are 100's of $ for a couple of extra litres. Stuff that. Will get to a rally sometime soon. Just joined up HOG so have yet to get it all sorted. The bike is black. Just tried to upload a photo but missed the cut by 160 odd K. :brick: Will resize and have another go sometime. On the bosses time right now. Speaking of which I had better get back to doing something.
Cop -ya

sporty03
1st August 2004, 17:52
Pete,

Yeah I tried that a few times but somehow the rotten thing would move on me. Usually found out when it wouldn't start miles from home. :mad:
How did you get into speedway? I used to watch the guys, Andrews, Sibritzky(sp?) and even Mauger a few times up at Western Springs. Always figured that for the ultimate ride. :niceone: How did you get those turns down? Still like to learn that trick but I'm not sure the nerves would let me.
See ya

pete376403
1st August 2004, 22:04
The stock cars had been at Te Marua for a while when a new promotor (Tony Nesbitt, from Christchurch) was bught in to improve things. One of the improvements was to introduce bikes. Once they started appearing on track, it didn't take long before there were a few for sale. I bought the Jap for $500 and started learning. There was no where to practice, just get out on the track and wobble round. Because of the short wheelbase and very steep fork angle, they go sideways really easily. So it was just a matter of trying to keep the power on into the corner, lean over a bit and nail it. (I crashed a lot, too). And that was basically it, then got on the upgrade cycle ("a new motor is all that stands between me and the world championship, I know it...")
Finally gave it away when I was made redundant from a job that included full medical insurance, and would not take the chance of being injured and forced to rely on ACC. I'd love to try it again, though. Just one more time. Really, just once.

sporty03
3rd August 2004, 14:02
http://[IMG]#12[IMG] To Scumdog anyone else interested,

Finally got a photo to load. :sweatdrop This has been scanned from a picture my neighbour took the first time I showed up on on the bike, so it's got a bit grainy getting it down to size. Looks okay as a 3M bmap.
Anyway there it is in all it's glory. Have a few things in mind for it :soon: but will have to see how the money pans out. :(
Cheers

White trash
3rd August 2004, 15:38

Finally got a photo to load. :sweatdrop This has been scanned from a picture my neighbour took the first time I showed up on on the bike, so it's got a bit grainy getting it down to size. Looks okay as a 3M bmap.
Anyway there it is in all it's glory. Have a few things in mind for it :soon: but will have to see how the money pans out. :(
Cheers

Loving that bike, Sporty.

Thought about changing the bars to something more natural?

"Westerns" spring to mind and you shouldn't need to change the cables. It'll give you better leverage and you wont get the "weavy wallows" in high speed corners.

Braided front line will make a good increase in front braking power.

High flow airfilter and she'll be a hauler! :ride:

Cajun
3rd August 2004, 15:52
and he forgot to add he can sell you all these parts,

down boy

scumdog
3rd August 2004, 17:27

Cheers

Good pic s.03, like the idea of the "bra" - wished I'd got one now.
As W.T. says, a better set of bars will help the handling, have a look at the two Sportster 'S' models in M & V in Dunedin for an idea.
I'm real happy with the bars on my 'S', both for handling & for touring but I'm use to narrow flat bars.
You'll have a heart attack when you see genuine H-D part & accessory prices (but the quality is right up there too). :2thumbsup

Motu
3rd August 2004, 17:52
I'd love to try it again, though. Just one more time. Really, just once.

About 10yrs ago I was pusher for a mate of mine at Rosebank,we were both 40 at the time - he'd had a prang the meeting before and was concussed and still sore all over.I duct tapped a length of bar from hip to ankle,hinged at the knee,to his left leg and sent him out.The third time I went out and pushed his bike back to the pits he had gone off in the ambulance - I loaded the bike into his ute and went home.Didn't see him again for a couple of years - ''how's it goin',how'd it go after that last speedway meeting?'....''Oh yeah,I'm ok now,but have no memory of my whole childhood''....'oh,choice,that's good mate'...

No,one more time could be your last - cherish the memory.

sporty03
4th August 2004, 12:55
Hey guys,
Scumdog, Motu, Cajun and Whitetrash and all others following this. Yeah, I've thought about bars. What do you call 'westerns'? When I was a teen I put, what was known then as 'semi westerns' on my Triumph. They were 18" high and let me ride sitting straight up with my hands about shoulder level. Over 140km the wind starts to knock me around abit so I figured something abit smaller would be better. I can't bring myself to put a screen on the HD, no matter how sensible it is. I would rather go the way of a small fairing and end up looking like a halfway Buel. I was thinking about a riser with the more or less straight bars across the top. The guy that sold me the bike has something like that on his new custom. Says he will give me a try one day. I'll check out the bikes in M & V and see what they are like. The tank bra was custom built by Frank before he sold me the bike. Can find out about it if you like. It really protects the tank. I'm looking at the plastic stick ons for the front as well. A local guy that does heaps of motifs etc and has some really clear stuff that goes on wet and disappears. Hardly notice it at all. Will protect the front from top to bottom. Just where all the stones hit. It's similar to the stuff they use as stoneguards on headlights, just abit thinner. Cost about $50 last time I looked.
You are right about the wallows. Even a bit of rough road will get the front all twitchy. :eek: No real dramas, just suprised me a little. :calm: Any advice or opinions on forward controls? They look pretty cool and confortable but how do they affect the body placement / handling if things get abit curly. I guess what trail rider there is in me, is coming out. Standing on pegs and muscling front ends around etc. Not that you could do much of that on one of these big beasties. Just curious before I commit good money.
Shame about your buddy Motu. The track always did look like a hard way to have fun. Mind you a smoothly done turn with the bike finely balanced looked as close to flying as you could get and still stay on the ground. I guess that is what Pete thinking about with his 'just one more time' comment. They used to call Bryce 'Iron Man Sibritzky' (sp??) up in Auckland. The mad beggar seemed to fall off and get run over and all sorts of dramas but always managed to get up. Mind you, he never backed off the throttle. Another local hero, Bobby Andrews must have been a hard wee guy. Raced horses all afternoon and would then show up and race bikes all Saturday night. Crazy, but gave us young fellas some real role models. All for 50c as well.
Anyway, any and all advice eagerly read and even possibly acted on.
Thanks everybody. :beer: :spudwave:

Motu
4th August 2004, 13:05
Bryce was a tough old bastard alright,he still took a bike out a year or two before he died,the hearse took his body around the track at his funeral - now called The Bryce Subritzky Memorial Speedway. :niceone:

Jackrat
4th August 2004, 15:49
Sporty,I put standard FXR bars on my 96 XL1200.
Don't know what their called but their lower and flatter/wider than the standard sporty bars.
Welcome aboard

scumdog
4th August 2004, 20:38
Go with the 6" risers and narrow flat bars, look cool and don't handle too bad also!!! :cool2:

Forward control are good and comfortable for cruising, leave the original pegs on for rough-ground stuff (to stand on) and slightly better handling when you're 1-up on the twisty bits, generally you don't loose too much handling though with the forward controls. :ride:

Yeah let me know about the bra costs etc :ride:

sporty03
5th August 2004, 19:01
Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at those bars. My buddy from up Taranaki has something like that on his duce I think. :2thumbsup
I had an idea tha the forward controls would be that way. Guess I'll go for some highway pegs.
Didn't know Bryce had passed on but then it was a lot of years ago I watched him. Had a pretty cute daughter I remember. :Offtopic:
Glad to know he rode till the end. Last time I saw him was the 1970 Champs. He lost the plate off his boot about lap #2 but only Bobby Andrews caught him. Hell of a guy.
Anyway thanks all, for the words of wisdom. Any stray tanks going cheap might be of interest as well. If I can't get one made I may have to 'modify' :bash: an old one so I guess MILD denting wouldn't be too much of a problem.
Regards
Graham:rockon:

sporty03
5th August 2004, 19:05
SCUMDOG,
Frank may still be cruising somewhere so don't worry if it's a week or 2 before I can get details of where he got that cover cum bra made.
Cheers ears

sporty03
5th August 2004, 19:08
Hey Jackrat,

Thanks for the hello. How does that Japanese Triumph go?

Jackrat
5th August 2004, 20:16
Hey Jackrat,

Thanks for the hello. How does that Japanese Triumph go?

Runs fine but the electric bits are dodgy as.
Lives on the battery charger :rolleyes:
Seems just about everybody USED to have one of these.

scumdog
5th August 2004, 20:57
Runs fine but the electric bits are dodgy as.
Lives on the battery charger :rolleyes:
Seems just about everybody USED to have one of these.

Yeah, mate of mine brought two back from the states a few years ago, would have bought one if I could have afforded it :niceone:

sporty03
26th August 2004, 23:55
Yeah let me know about the bra costs etc :ride:

Scumdog,

Heard back from Frank and the tank bra was made by Otago Auto Trimmers for around $40 he thinks.

Cheers

scumdog
27th August 2004, 01:15
Scumdog,

Heard back from Frank and the tank bra was made by Otago Auto Trimmers for around $40 he thinks.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll call in and see them about getting one next time in town.

sporty03
28th August 2004, 17:37
Thanks, I'll call in and see them about getting one next time in town.

Nay problems. :ride:
Cop-ya

tassle
29th August 2004, 20:20
Two, as I have pointed out before on this forum, is the Right and Proper number of cylinders for a motorcycle engine.

So, sporty03, you could, by a stretch of an overly-enthusiastic and moderately drunk imagination, be said to be on the right path.

Welcome to the site...
-does this also include jap two stroke twins(rd 250)

inlinefour
28th January 2005, 00:10
Welcome and enjoy :banana: