PDA

View Full Version : Wairarapa mecca for tourists?

pritch
17th December 2006, 13:18
I've never seen the Wairarapa touted as being some sort of mecca for tourists and I'm not particularly fond of Pinot Noir. It is possible though that in the New Year I will have to make a number of trips to Wellington and points east.

Having lived in Wellington I know about that, but I've only twice ever been to the Wairarapa and both times just passing through.

I have the standard books and maps but am seeking local knowledge really.

For instance:
What are the most scenic places?
Is Lake Ferry worth the ride?
Are there places on the East coast with great sea views and a decent motel?

Any and all offerings much appreciated :yes:

James Deuce
17th December 2006, 14:16
a. The whole place is scenic.
b. No.
c. No. No, hang on. Napier has some.

Arrr, that were easy!

Hitcher
17th December 2006, 14:25
Any and all offerings much appreciated

Get on your bike, ride over the feckin Takas and have a look for yourself. Most roads go somewhere, so it's hard to get lost. The sealed roads are largely tidy, apart from the second-half of the Castlepoint road. The locals are mostly well fed and biker tolerant but, like most parts of provincial New Zealand, don't push your luck on dole day. It's pretty much impossible to get a bad coffee anywhere (apart from those places that insist on selling that egregious Italian Illy shit, but that happens everywhere, not just the Wairarapa).

Trudes
17th December 2006, 15:54
Welcome to stay at our place and fill our garage with Hornet goodness and we'll show you the places we know, but you could explore all day and not cover the same road twice, tons of fun in the sun!

ceebie13
17th December 2006, 16:02
...and fill our garage with Hornet goodness

wtf is "hornet goodness"!! Are you on drugs Trudi???
If so, can we have some?

ceebie13
17th December 2006, 16:14
a. The whole place is scenic.
b. No.
c. No. No, hang on. Napier has some.

Arrr, that were easy!

Ooh, you can be sooo negative at times Jim. What do you mean when you say Lake Ferry isn't worth the ride? Do you mean the "route to" or "the place itself". Lyn and I went there for tea a couple of days ago just to make a change from Martinborough. Good run out, good weather, good company, good grub at the hotel...what more could you ask for?

James Deuce
17th December 2006, 16:17
No "place' is worth the ride. The journey is all important.

ceebie13
17th December 2006, 16:19
No "place' is worth the ride. The journey is all important.

Absolutely agree there, mate....
(Ah, so it's you that is lurking in invisible mode is it?)

Trudes
17th December 2006, 16:42
wtf is "hornet goodness"!! Are you on drugs Trudi???
If so, can we have some?

You'll know Hornet goodness when you see it!! And the drugs are my own special blend.
Talking of which, how did Lyn get on with the test ride yesterday?

Bonez
17th December 2006, 20:45
May I recommend the Coastal Trail. Runs all the way up the east coast to Napier. Fantastic riding. Some gravel. Some guff about the Wairapa here- http://www.wairarapanz.com

merv
17th December 2006, 20:53
Great sea views at Castlepoint and Riversdale but no decent motels, those can be found at Martinborough, Greytown or Masterton. Having dirt bikes as well I will tell you the best rides are where the gravel roads take you on the Wairarapa Coast as per here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=22980

However, on the road bike many of the roads away from the coast are fantastic in and around Gladstone, Lake Ferry is OK for a nice easy ride, and then the road up North from Masterton via Alfredton to Pongaroa is great and there are many more.

Bonez
17th December 2006, 21:03
Great sea views at Castlepoint and Riversdale but no decent motels, those can be found at Martinborough, Greytown or Masterton. Having dirt bikes as well I will tell you the best rides are where the gravel roads take you on the Wairarapa Coast as per here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=22980

However, on the road bike many of the roads away from the coast are fantastic in and around Gladstone, Lake Ferry is OK for a nice easy ride, and then the road up North from Masterton via Alfredton to Pongaroa (gas on weekdays) is great and there are many more.On from there to Wimbilton (has gas if the pubs open), Parongahau (gas on weeksdays), Wallingford, Wanstead etc............ If I was coming from New Plymouth I'd do the Pahiatua track from Palmerston North then out to Makuri (the turns just before Makuri-maps help) Alfredton, Masterton. Then on to Gladston, Martonborough then on to Lake Ferry.

pritch
17th December 2006, 21:51
If the plans come to fruition I'd be doing mainly day trips to the Wairarapa from Wellington while down for the weekend. It's still in the future but then January is scary close...