PDA

View Full Version : Cost of not wearing a helmet...

pervert
17th December 2006, 17:45
I'm sure this post will generate plenty of lectures from various people, directed at various people, about various things over which they really have no control in the end. Now that I've said that I'll get to the point.

How much does someone get taxed for not wearing a helmet when it comes to a blue/white infringement notice handed out by the filth at the side of the road?

I'm guessing it's not the same amount as a cyclist, which is $50 or $55 I believe...???

M1CRO
17th December 2006, 18:22
Subject to correction as it may be out of date, but I thought it was $150. The problem is that it doesnt necessarily become an "Infringement Notice", and may be subject to a Court appearance (Traffic Offence Notice) if the blue people decide (based on circumstances)..

Needless to say, do you really want to go there?

FROSTY
17th December 2006, 18:28
And the point of this discussion is?

M1CRO
17th December 2006, 18:30
Have no ideas really :whocares:

pervert
17th December 2006, 18:33
Interests sake, can't hurt to know.

MattRSK
17th December 2006, 18:34
Guess you will find out when you get caught. You would deserve it too! :D

Patch
17th December 2006, 18:35

Your absolute f@#kin retard if ya don't wear a decent one

As for the fine, the ultimate price is alot closer than you think.

One ditch away . . .

One mistake . . .

One corner . . .

How much are you willing to pay?

pervert
17th December 2006, 18:38
Guess you will find out when you get caught. You would deserve it too! :D

Never said it was going to happen, or be me if it did...

I am interested to know what the fine would be, definately...

But the main point of the post was to incite such reactions as above...

Grub
17th December 2006, 18:42
... infringement notice handed out by the filth at the side of the road?...

There is no filth at the side of the road - wanker.They're trying to keep dipshits like you alive by saving you from yourselves.

There you are, you expected - you got it.

pervert
17th December 2006, 18:46
There is no filth at the side of the road - wanker.They're trying to keep dipshits like you alive by saving you from yourselves.

There you are, you expected - you got it.

http://www.allwords.com/word-filth.html

Have a read. Broaden your knowledge.

riffer
17th December 2006, 19:05
:whocares: whether you wear a helmet or not. I don't know you. I won't be going to your funeral.

Go ahead. The penalty for being spotted by the Police is $150.

The penalty for fucking up is death.

Your choice.

pervert
17th December 2006, 19:09
The penalty for being spotted by the Police is $150.

Thanks very much.

sunhuntin
17th December 2006, 19:16
:whocares: whether you wear a helmet or not. I don't know you. I won't be going to your funeral.

Go ahead. The penalty for being spotted by the Police is $150.

Your choice.

riff...who knows whether youll go to someones funeral or not? weve just had 3, with the chance of a 4th. i know crashe went to one, and im willing to bet she never expected to go. ive buried 5 people i never thought id have to, and none of them were on a bike at the time. [though two were bikers]

lb99
17th December 2006, 19:35

or maybe not, maybe just grinding your face off in the ditch at 100k+, and living with the scars and the brain damage for the rest of your life, (you know who you are)

pervert
17th December 2006, 19:42
or maybe not, maybe just grinding your face off in the ditch at 100k+, and living with the scars and the brain damage for the rest of your life, (you know who you are)

Then there's that other possibitlity that every ride encountered without a helmet is trouble free and without repercussion.

The world is full of possible outcomes, some more likely than others statistics wise.

sunhuntin
17th December 2006, 19:43

my partner has brain damage after a bike accident...hes canadian, and they wear those half helmets [like the army ones]
though hes not impossible to live with [and rather endearing really :love: ] i can only imagine how much better he might be had the accident not happened.
but...having never known any different, that is part of the reason i love him so much.

SwanTiger
17th December 2006, 19:54
Interesting question and I don't understand why everyone is giving 'pervert' such a hard time.

While riding back from Mark's place late one night I came across a car broken down on the side of the motorway. They'd run out of gas and only lived up the road a few kilometers at the next off ramp. It was fucken cold and no one else was stopping so I gave one of them a lift on the back of my bike to his house. We cruised along the shoulder slowly, then down the off ramp and up a side road with no problems.

He wasn't wearing a helmet.

Who would of received the fine had a Police officer pulled me over and been harsh enough to dish out a ticket? The guy on the back knew the risk (he was a biker as well) and jumped on. His only complaint was a cold face.

Personally, I would never get on the back of a bike with a stranger let alone without a helmet. I was quite chuffed he trusted me enough to do that.

MattRSK
17th December 2006, 20:13
I wasn't having a go at Pervert. Was just saying that if you choose not to wear a helmet and you get caught you can't exactly complain about a fine.

eh Stalin! :P

James Deuce
17th December 2006, 20:17
Don't feed the troll, you knobs.

Grub
17th December 2006, 20:29
Can't feed a troll that's on [Ignore] ... LOL

onearmedbandit
17th December 2006, 20:44
I know, despite him even saying he asked the question to incite reaction.

enigma51
17th December 2006, 20:48
I know, despite him even saying he asked the question to incite reaction.

Just thinking the same thing

on a different note your bike looks mint mate Kevin Swantz would love it!

pervert
17th December 2006, 20:48
Are any demerit points incurred?

Skyryder
17th December 2006, 21:00
I thought he asked to question to show the inconsistancy for the same offence for two different modes of transport.

Skyryder

McJim
17th December 2006, 21:04
Are any demerit points incurred?

Not if you don't hold any kind of licence at all. Apparently you can't get demerit points if you've never held a licence at all. I'm kind of pleased I couldn't understand those forms - it makes me immune :)

Sorry - couldn't resist - I am trolling the troll!

onearmedbandit
17th December 2006, 21:21
But the main point of the post was to incite such reactions as above...

I thought he asked to question to show the inconsistancy for the same offence for two different modes of transport.

Skyryder

You need to read a bit closer there Mr Skyryder.

vamr
17th December 2006, 21:55
eh Stalin! :P

I like where this is going.

MattRSK
17th December 2006, 21:57
I like where this is going.

It would seem that a trend has started Vladimir!

grego
17th December 2006, 21:59
Ahh, finally another fairdinkum shitslinging thread.
Don,t ye just love em?

Fact: Because it is compulsory in this loverly little country to wear a helmet, 99% of bikers that get killed on the road were wearing helmets.

Fact: Lots a geesers that regularly post here think that because they are wearing helmets, leathers boots and gloves etc etc this makes them a Rossi or Gibernau and ride like fucking arseholes on the open road.

Fact: There are still countries where helmet wearing is NOT compulsory.

and yes, I always put on a lid, even though I have a doctors certificate that says that I should be exempt from having to put one on.

lastly: Its a great feeling to cruise down the road on a hot summers day without a stinking sweaty lid on your noggin and being able to make your own choices......

lb99
17th December 2006, 23:24
:slap:
my partner has brain damage after a bike accident...hes canadian, and they wear those half helmets [like the army ones]
though hes not impossible to live with [and rather endearing really :love: ] i can only imagine how much better he might be had the accident not happened.
but...having never known any different, that is part of the reason i love him so much.

eep! (remove foot from mouth):shutup: :shutup: :shutup:

this was not aimed at you, rather at someone who made a pretty stupid decision many years ago, and caused a few years of insanity afterward

bobsmith
18th December 2006, 07:03
This is STUPID.

Someone asks about penelties for not wearing a helmet, and a fucking safety campaign starts. Did he ever say that he's not going to wear a helmet? NO.

And if he did and gets himself caught for a $150 fine, that's none of our business, and if he gets himself maimed or killed, that's none of our business either, that's his free choice...

Oh hang on.... I forget, I don't live in a free country any more do I...

This country is so bent on saving people from themselves, that it's prepared to sacrifise people's freedom to do it... Hell might as well outlaw all motorcycling while we're at it...

[edit] - oh and as for your question, I believe if you get caught, you'll be funding $150 towards this country's legalised terrerism of its population but at least you won't be getting any demerit points I believe...

pervert
18th December 2006, 07:05
lastly: Its a great feeling to cruise down the road on a hot summers day without a stinking sweaty lid on your noggin and being able to make your own choices......

Hahahaha finally someone with decent input.

It's even better when your in shorts and a t-shirt (good thing that's legal), the whole point of a hot days ride is to get the air circulating, not much point when your wrapped in leather and a face mask.

This is STUPID.

Someone asks about penelties for not wearing a helmet, and a fucking safety campaign starts. Did he ever say that he's not going to wear a helmet? NO.

And if he did and gets himself caught for a $150 fine, that's none of our business, and if he gets himself maimed or killed, that's none of our business either, that's his free choice...

Oh hang on.... I forget, I don't live in a free country any more do I...

This country is so bent on saving people from themselves, that it's prepared to sacrifise people's freedom to do it... Hell might as well outlaw all motorcycling while we're at it...

[edit] - oh and as for your question, I believe if you get caught, you'll be funding $150 towards this country's legalised terrerism of its population but at least you won't be getting any demerit points I believe...

You sir, are a good guy. I thank you.

marty
18th December 2006, 07:52
Land Transport (Offences and Penalties) Regulations 1999
Schedule 2 Scale of demerit points
Part 1 Offences other than speeding offences
Part 1
Offences other than speeding offences

Number of Demerit Points

1. The Land Transport Act 1998 31(1)(b) Drives a motor vehicle contrary to the conditions of his or her driver licence 25

37(1) Careless or inconsiderate use of motor vehicle 35

52(1)(c) Failure to stop on request or signal of an enforcement officer, or on being followed by motor vehicle displaying flashing blue, or blue and red, lights or sounding a siren, as required by section 114 of the Land Transport Act 1998 35

52(1)(c) Failure to remain stopped for an enforcement officer, as required under section 114 of the Land Transport Act 1998 35

52(1)(c) Driving or attempting to drive when forbidden by an enforcement officer under section 121 of the Land Transport Act 1998 35
57(1) or (2) Person younger than 20 driving or attempting to drive with excessive breath-alcohol or blood-alcohol concentration 50

59(1) Failure or refusal—

(a) To wait for the result of a breath screening test or an evidential breath test 50
(b) To accompany an enforcement officer when so required 50
(c) To remain for evidential breath test or blood test 50

[2 Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 (61001) 2.1(1) Fail to drive as near as practicable to the left of the roadway 20

2.1(2) Fail to allow impeded traffic to pass 20

2.6(1) Unsafe passing 35

2.6(3) Impeding vehicle when passing 35

2.9 Passing to right of no-passing line 35

2.1 Passing at school crossing point or pedestrian crossing 20

2.12(3) Drive in emergency stopping lane 10

3.8(2) Fail to comply with handheld stop sign 20

4 Fail to comply with school patrol sign 20

4.1(1)(a) Driver fails to stop at stop sign 20

4.1(1)(b) Driver fails to give way at stop sign 20

4.1(2) Driver fails to give way at give-way sign 20

4.2(2) Driver of left-turning vehicle fails to give way to vehicle approaching or crossing from right 20

4.2(3) Driver at intersection fails to give-way to vehicle approaching from right 20

4 Driver fails to give way to road user on footpath when entering/exiting driveway 20

4.6(1) Driver entering roundabout fails to give way 20

5.9(1) Exceed speed for stopping distance 20

5.9(2) Exceed speed for stopping distance on road not marked in lanes 20

5.9(3) Drive too close to vehicle in front 20

7.1(2) Driver permits riding dangerously 20

[[7.4(1)]] [[Operate vehicle that creates excessive noise10

[[7.4(2)]] [[Create excessive noise within or on vehicle 10

9.1(2) Driver fails to give way to rail vehicle approaching level crossing 20

9.1(4) Drive etc, cycle, vehicle, or animal across level crossing when risk of collision with rail vehicle 20

9.2(1)(a) Fail to comply with stop sign at level crossing 20

9.2(1)(b) Fail to remain stationary at stop sign until level crossing clear 20

9.2(3) Driver enters controlled area of level crossing when red signal displayed 20

9.2(4) Driver enters controlled area of level crossing when barrier arm lowered 20

10.1(1) Driver fails to give way at pedestrian crossing 35

10.1(2) Driver enters pedestrian crossing when passage blocked 35

10.2(1) Driver of vehicle fails to give way to pedestrian on shared zone 35

NZHog
18th December 2006, 11:38
LOL. I have over 8000 miles of riding safely without a helmet. I have over 100000k's riding with a helmet. It is good to have the choice & access to many great helmets,but I appreciate the great gear we have in general now.

Ahh, finally another fairdinkum shitslinging thread.
Don,t ye just love em?

Fact: Because it is compulsory in this loverly little country to wear a helmet, 99% of bikers that get killed on the road were wearing helmets.

Fact: Lots a geesers that regularly post here think that because they are wearing helmets, leathers boots and gloves etc etc this makes them a Rossi or Gibernau and ride like ***ing arseholes on the open road.

Fact: There are still countries where helmet wearing is NOT compulsory.

and yes, I always put on a lid, even though I have a doctors certificate that says that I should be exempt from having to put one on.

ManDownUnder
18th December 2006, 11:45
Mate each to their own.... but anyone not wearing a helmet is an idiot in my opinion.

The financial risk is a $150.

Indiana_Jones
18th December 2006, 11:50
Fine wise, not wearing a helmet would be like not wearing your seatbelt in your car I would imagine.

-Indy

bert_is_evil
18th December 2006, 11:54

if he get's himself maimed then it is definitely our business as we will spend the rest of OUR lives paying for his care.

Though he never said he had any intentions of riding helmetless.

James Deuce
18th December 2006, 11:58
We don't live in a free country btw.

There's big chunks of the Middle East and Asia Minor that could be regarded as "free". You should try living there. I don't think you'd like it.

Paul in NZ
18th December 2006, 12:07
We don't live in a free country btw.

There's big chunks of the Middle East and Asia Minor that could be regarded as "free". You should try living there. I don't think you'd like it.

True - you have to wear a different kinda helmet there too, a steel one and you need that all the time..

Grub
18th December 2006, 12:12
Though he never said he had any intentions of riding helmetless.

Ummm ... lookit his profile ... and the picture of him(?) doing front wheelie without helmet. I s'pose you can't get brain damage if yer brainless

pervert
18th December 2006, 12:29
Ummm ... lookit his profile ... and the picture of him(?) doing front wheelie without helmet. I s'pose you can't get brain damage if yer brainless

Gee well aren't you just a regular detective. How did you manage to unravel such information? Hard work I guess.

I can't believe you can call anyone brainless when you struggle to type a legible paragraph. Talk about the pot calling the water heating device black.

...and it's called a stoppie, not a front wheelie...duh...

I always wear a helmet when riding a road legal motorcycle on the road.

sunhuntin
18th December 2006, 12:33

eep! (remove foot from mouth):shutup: :shutup: :shutup:

this was not aimed at you, rather at someone who made a pretty stupid decision many years ago, and caused a few years of insanity afterward

didnt even read it that way. lol. :rockon:

bert_is_evil
18th December 2006, 13:01

But not when riding a non road legal bike on a public road?

scumdog
18th December 2006, 13:06
I'm sure this post will generate plenty of lectures from various people, directed at various people, about various things over which they really have no control in the end. Now that I've said that I'll get to the point.

How much does someone get taxed for not wearing a helmet when it comes to a blue/white infringement notice handed out by the filth at the side of the road?

I'm guessing it's not the same amount as a cyclist, which is $50 or $55 I believe...???

Generally you're taxed one brain.....

If you are a little lucky you only get taxed an acre or so of scalp and maybe some facial features...

pervert
18th December 2006, 13:08
But not when riding a non road legal bike on a public road?

Hahahahaha, that road only experiences 6 or 7 cars a day on it...it's hardly even public...:scooter:

Generally you're taxed one brain.....

If you are a little lucky you only get taxed an acre or so of scalp and maybe some facial features...

You'd have to dismount the bike for that to be true.

scumdog
18th December 2006, 13:11
Gee well aren't you just a regular detective. How did you manage to unravel such information? Hard work I guess.

I can't believe you can call anyone brainless when you struggle to type a legible paragraph. Talk about the pot calling the water heating device black.

...and it's called a stoppie, not a front wheelie...duh...

It's called a 'non-sequetuer'(sp?) folks.

Someone calls you a dumb-arse for stunting without a helmet.

You balance the books by posting an unrelated retort about the other guys typing.

No relation between the two topics but hey, if it makes you feel better than the other guy......

pervert
18th December 2006, 13:15

You balance the books by posting an unrelated retort about the other guys typing.

No relation between the two topics but hey, if it makes you feel better than the other guy......

No no, the term used was "brainless", not "dumb-arse"...the correlation is appropriate.

pixc
18th December 2006, 13:21
You can always tell when the school holidays start :P

pervert
18th December 2006, 13:22
You can always tell when the school holidays start :P

Hahahaha that's my favourite reply yet...

lb99
18th December 2006, 13:32
didnt even read it that way. lol. :rockon:

:done: (10 characters)

Street Gerbil
18th December 2006, 14:56
Personally I think am all safety enforcement is a bad idea. If a person is involved in an accident, not wearing protection be it helmet, gloves, or seatbelt is not going to worsen the situation for the other party. Therefore it only makes sense to let the fate decide who should and shouldn't be on the road in a Darwinian fashion. Kinda the same deal as with wine drinking among Greeks and Georgians - with the last of their alcoholics dying out a thousand of years ago.

Which reminds me of an old joke I heard approximately a quarter century ago:
A police inspector arrives to school and gives kids a speech about importance of wearing a protective helmet while riding. He says: "One kid was riding his pushbike without wearing a helmet. He took a spill, hit his head against the curb and died on the spot. Another kid was wearing a helmet. He fell, then stood up, picked up his bike, shook his head, giggled, and just rode away." Little Johnny replies: "Sir, I think I know this kid. He still shakes his head and giggles".

Whynot
18th December 2006, 14:59
Personally I think am all safety enforcement is a bad idea. If a person is involved in an accident, not wearing protection be it helmet, gloves, or seatbelt is not going to worsen the situation for the other party. Therefore it only makes sense to let the fate decide who should and shouldn't be on the road in a Darwinian fashion. Kinda the same deal as with wine drinking among Greeks and Georgians - with the last of their alcoholics dying out a thousand of years ago.

very well put ......
Gerbil for PM !!!
:rockon:

onearmedbandit
18th December 2006, 16:13
There is a provision for not wearing a helmet on your motorcycle on public roads. All it involves is putting two extra wheels on your bike (one at either end), splay them out by say 1600mm, put a full metal protection barrier around all occupants of your bike (with obvious openings to get on and off your bike - lets call them 'doors'), a safety belt on every seat (we could call those 'seatbelts') and suitable glass protection for vision (windows?). Get it all certified and Robert is your mothers brother.

NighthawkNZ
18th December 2006, 17:09

Always woundered how that worked... :blink: :killingme

Guitana
19th January 2007, 10:29
Just buy yourself a German helmet on Trademe Pervert and flip the establishment off every time you pass them! Always good for a few laughs just ask my mate Banana man.
Should have no worries outrunning a beemer on a BMX!!

Enjoy the freefall while you can the next bits gonna hurt!!!

spookytooth
19th January 2007, 11:41
I got a ticket on the first day the helmet law was changed.Used to be ya only had to wear em doing more than 30 mph.Was just pulling out of a gas station lid strapped to the back of the mac4 {thats where lids lived back then }still in 1st .I got off by saying it was jambed in gear and was just tryin to free it cop stod up in court saying he belived me

davereid
19th January 2007, 12:13
Yep, I rode helmetless when it was legal, and from time to time have done so since. Its not that I don't think helmets are good - I do.

But lots of things in my life expose me to risk, and give me pleasure.

A glass of whisky, a nice toot on a decent cigar, and any trip I do on my motorcycle that I could have done in a bus increase my risk of injury or death.

The fact that the taxpayer has assumed the role of my carer doesnt bother me at all - I didnt ask for it, and I don't want it. Stop taxing me, and let me pay for my own welfare thank you, or stop bleating about my lifestyle choices.

Thats where I differ from the "wear a helmet or you are a tosser" group.

I accept risk as part of my life. Sometimes I will do things that make the risk today a bit higher than the "most safe" alternative.

So, I acknowledge that the safest thing to to is sit at home watching TV.

But, today I might needlessly, just for pleasure increase my risk of accident by going for a ride on my motorcycle.

I might even increase it a bit more, by going round that sweeping corner faster than the "safe and comfortable" recommended speed.

And once back on my lonely country road, I might put my helmet in my saddle bag, and quietly putt home, enjoying my life, my way.

:done: