PDA

View Full Version : FFM M7 helmets

gamgee
17th December 2006, 19:10
Hey, I did as i was told and went round checking lots of helmets to find the one that fitted best, and was suprised when out came this very flash looking FFM helmet, tried it on and it fitted perfectly, asked how much? "$200" :gob:

http://www.morleymotorcycles.co.nz/motorcyclesmarine.php?category=0&brand=7&page=1&piece=352

So would anyone here take issue with me buying a cheap helmet which fits me perfectly? I was actually originally looking at helmets twice the price but none of them seemed to fit properly

Goblin
17th December 2006, 19:29
My first helmet was an FFM, it was comfortable and it did it's job well. Back in '95 I was hit head-on at about 70 km/h and made a perfect helmet shaped dent in the pillar and windscreen, then hit the road. The chin guard part did fracture on first impact but protected my face and basically saved my life. I would have bought another one but I had plenty of time to pay off/lay-by my Shoei that was my next helmet. I only have an expensive one now 'cos I won it. When time comes to buy another new lid I will definately be looking at FFM again.

Ixion
17th December 2006, 19:31
I do not know if the "modern" FFM helmets are the same thing as the old ones, but I will certainly vouch for the old FFMs.

Very good helmets, and I still have my third (I think) Mach 1 as my "spare" helmet.

My second FFM (and first Mach1) was scrapped after I flipped backwards into a very large seaside rock, with sufficent force to turn the whole back of the helmet into a spongey mess. No harm to me except a head ache.

gamgee
17th December 2006, 19:35
yup sounds like i'll pick it up tomorrow then, I also had an ffm as my first helmet, the rapier I think it was called, back then I didn't know anything and a helmet was a helmet, now I'm a little more informed but i've read a few reviews on here and these M7's sound good, there were the usual $10 head= $10 helmet cases, but the way I see it I'm better getting a $200 helmet that fits right than a $400 HJC helmet that doesn't fit snug around my forehead - that was the main downfall I had with a couple of other brands, but the ffm fits me great in all areas

digsaw
17th December 2006, 19:35
Yep, i got two with bad road rash on them and another i race in, best helmets i have ever had:yes:

blackkatana
17th December 2006, 20:32
It fits and it is comfortable so it is good. I replaced my FFM (only grazed) just recently but keep it as a spare for pillion use.

Lou Girardin
18th December 2006, 20:25
The M7 is unbelieveably light for a cheap lid - 1350 grammes.

Devil
19th December 2006, 10:07
I won one at the metzeler elephant run and use it daily over my HJC CL-14.
Good shape, light weight as Lou said. Replacement visors for $35!
Very impressed.

Goblin
19th December 2006, 10:17
I won one at the metzeler elephant run and use it daily over my HJC CL-14.
Good shape, light weight as Lou said. Replacement visors for $35!
Very impressed.
There ya go eh! I won my BMW lid...it's the same weight as the FFM but replacemet visor for mine is a WHOPPING $135.00!! I need a new visor since I rode past the dudes painting the new fly-over at The Mt. and wore the overspray.:angry: I might just buy a new FFM and be done with the over-rated, over-priced SportIntegral.

gamgee
28th December 2006, 20:56
the m7 whistles a bit at 90km/h and above, but I found if I sat with a more upright position it went away, otherwise a good comfy helmet that feels really nice on and really nice to wear at higher speeds - ie my head wasn't getting blown around at all

kro
28th December 2006, 21:07
If you buy anything else from Morley's, email me, and I'll pick it up, and courier it for free. I work two buildings down from them, it takes me like 15.9 seconds to get to their showroom.

Viddy
17th January 2007, 18:00
My helmet is one of the above FFM M7. Its a good fit for me, and seems to be alright at higher speeds. Haven't had to use it in anger, thankfully. Got a $45 mirrored visor for it from boyd honda here in hamilton. Smoked is $35, i think. Clear even cheaper.

I don't think that it's as good at stopping noise from bikes as the more expensive ones, but thats fine. Its also got one of those seals that goes around the bottom of the helmet, to stop air rushing in. Because of that it fogs up a bit in winter, but thats fixed by putting in one of those visor inserts.

One slightly bad slightly girly thing: its got these lovely metallic stars on the front of it that are all sparkly and shit :)

davereid
17th January 2007, 18:19
I tried on a lot of helmets, and I think the FFM are great. I personally have a flip up FFM helmet, same style as the Nolans the plice use, but 1/4 the cost. Somewhere else on here a link to a helmet design web site was posted - it showed that the price of you helmet is not a good indicator of its safety.

The FFM for me fitted well, and was comfy, and as previously pointed out very light.

Get a $200 FFM, and use the unspent loot on some other protective gear, or a tyre upgrade !